Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Sep 17, 2021 10:27 AM

Aug 2017
They deserved to die like that. Idiots.

Photo is a weird name lol.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 14, 2021 10:09 PM
Sep 2020
This episode was by far my favorite
Ngl it was kinda painful to see the slave getting mistreated and feeling guilty for putting poisonous herbs in the food and causing all the merchants to die and seeing her not forgiving herself truly touched me

I definately loved the music and the scenary to go along with it and an overall 11/10 episode
Aug 8, 2022 8:46 PM
Sep 2013
Another amazing episode, this version is certainly the best, the stories in this one intertwine and these are really smart different from 2003 where they just had a veneer that made everyone like it even though they weren't so good, don't get me wrong, they had a certain philosophical value, but they were just that and they were forced differently from these, where the degree of quality of writing is much better.

PT-BR

Mais um episódio incrível, essa versão é com certeza a melhor, as histórias nesse se entrelaçam e essas sim são inteligentes diferente das de 2003 onde só tinham um verniz que fazia todo mundo gostar mesmo não sendo tão boas, não me entendam errado, elas tinham um certo valor filosófico, mas eram só isso e eram forçadas diferente dessas, onde o grau de qualidade de escrita é muito melhor.
Apr 6, 11:51 AM
Sep 2009
I really hate when stuff like this is done and from what I feel it is very present in some anime - manga. The idea of there being these people who are there for the purpose of being hated for the mistreatment of a poor victim or practice something we would consider barbaric in today’s developed nations and then to see their deaths occur or at least something else bad happen to them for the satisfaction of the viewer with both sides usually displayed with insufficient information of how they ended up the way they are.

Looking at their belongings this place is certainly in Europe which already for a long time banned slavery. And Photo's religion is clearly that of either a Christian cult and/or one that is likely (grace and) works based Salvation with severe errors that convince me that because they omit portraying proper Christians, they conclude that all or most are like that. Most of the Japanese still have a long way to go when it comes to religion.

For me to further talk down on this, let me list some of the dubbed dialogue concerning her religion and what I have to say in response:

1. "You must believe in the goodness of all others no matter what their crimes":

Except all of mankind is sinful and has and evil heart with the exception of Jesus Christ.

• Genesis 8:21;
    • Ecclesiastes 7:20, 8:11, 9:3;
    • Isaiah 64:6;
    • Jeremiah 17:9;
    • Romans 3:23, 5:12;
    • I John 1:8

• Hebrews 4:15

I think what it was trying to convey (but failed to do) is that the Blood of Christ can cleanse the sins of anyone who puts their faith in him no matter how evil they were and that it is not the desire that the wicked man be destroyed but turns away from sin and live.

Ezekiel 33:11;
    John 3:16-21;
    Romans 5:6-8.

2. "You must not hate others no matter what", "Resentment is sinful, as is hatred,... :

Referring to hatred of individuals, this here is probably the only correct teaching Photo has received to put into practice as we are expected to have the ἀγάπη (agapē) love though that does not mean open self up to masochistic abuse for Martyr Complex’s sake (not to be confused with actual martyrdom).

• Matthew 5:43-44;
    • Luke 6:27-31 probably in the case with many to be presented this twisted and/or misunderstood including Photo and possibly recent converts to Christianity who lack discernment;
    • I John 2:9-11, 3:15, 4:20.

• I Corinthians 13:4.

3. ...and killing will ALWAYS be an act of evil":

When one thinks of the Ten Commandments from Exodus 20:1-17 and Deuteronomy 5:6-21 “Thou shalt not kill”, when it is translated kill rather than murder one may have the idea that it has declared that all killing is prohibited when that is not at all the case. While it is true that the Tablets in which the Ten were written in is brief there is more context throughout the Scripture which layout rules for what could be permissible and what is not such as during war and accidents. Would it be great if there were no killing but study human history and you will see how bad humanity can really be that doing so is sometimes the only answer.

This next sentence may have you jumping to conclusions in a negative way be it you already decided to be firm on what you believe after thorough study, insufficient study or anecdote, and/or contrary worldview.

Also related below is that when someone says something like Hitler, Stalin, Mao Zedong, etc. killed this many thousands or millions of people, it wasn’t really them as an individual who has done it themselves but their followers who were influenced and/or under their authority. Down below however this will be the case and it will be an unsurpassable world record.

Revelation 19:11-21<- Psalm 2:9; Isaiah 11:4; Zechariah 14:12;
    see also I Samuel 18:7, 21:11 of a type. (Typology, think prototype instead of categorization)

4. This world can be wonderful, people can live together happily, love one another, and be kind to their neighbors...:

While it is true that certain parts of the world in certain times of history can have good times and revival there is no way that this will be achieved universally by our effort as we have seen in the 20th century, human falability and based on the conditions before the Eschaton (see first term in number 6 below).

• Daniel 2:31-45;
    • Matthew 24;
    • Luke 21;
    • II Timothy 3:1.

5. ...someday you and everyone else will realize that…:

She probably means this in a Wishful Thinking manner where they will somehow come to see the light and turn to it. But with many people, information/intelligence does not matter but it’s rather a matter of the heart. That or she doesn't know that she is saying that certain chosen individuals who are unfaithful and later eventually all of humanity during a time known as the Great Trubulation get to be informed with undeniable proof (they were likely demanding) that God is real and likely either as unbelievers whom wrath is poured out on possibly resulting in their death and/or in the afterlife where they remain conscious knowing their fate is sealed.

• Genesis 12:11-19, 19:1-25
    • Exodus 7-12, 21:28, 32;
    • Numbers 11 , 12, 14?, 16,
    • Joshua 10:6-11;
    • I Samuel 5
    • I Kings 18:20-40;
    • Daniel 5;
    • Revelation 6:15-17, 16:8-16, 16:21.

• Luke 19:32;
    • Revelation 20:11-13.

6. ...and this world will become a beautiful place with only such people.:
    This statement is the coming into fulfillment of Revelation 20:1-6 and the Eternal Kingdom which has different Schools of Thought in which I fall under the first and know less of the other two which may have valid beliefs.
    [/color]

• Premillenialism - after the Great Tribulation that ends when the Antichrist (who also had Old Testament prototypes) and his followers are defeated at the Battle of Armageddon, Christ will establish a Kingdom with the both mortal (Tribulation survivors and their descendants) and immortal humans (resurrected and raptured saints). When the Millennium is over Satan will be unleashed to deceive peoples (presumably only mortal and uncertain if it will be either some or all) from all over the world to march against Christ for a final attempt to defeat God which ends when they are killed {Rev 20:7-10}. Final Judgment {Rev 20:11-15} then Heaven and Earth merge when the New Jerusalem comes down {Rev 21:1-2}.

• Amillenialism – first thought of by Saint Augustine, the 1000 years will be a time of spiritual peace or to be interpreted symbolically rather than literal which can be a dangerous way of thinking and maybe cause inactivity never mind that the whole world has not yet been evangelized {Matthew 24:3-14}, one needs to accept the free gift of Grace through Faith {Romans 5:15-17, 6:23; Galatians 2:15-21}, and the Devil is still unleashed to continuously work against Christ in order to take down as much of humanity with him to damnation {II Corinthians 4:4; I Peter 5:6; Revelation 12:9-17}.

• Postmillenialism – Second I think I would choose if not the first. Christ’s Millennial reign will occur in Heaven and down on Earth will be such great revival that humanity will create a universal Golden Age with Christ to be made king at his Second Coming when the Millennium in Heaven is over. Similar to Amillennialism but seems likely to generate with some a thing I consider heresy called Dominion Theology in which the Church needs to take over the world through culture, politics, economy, etc. Not to be confused with productivity, activity and involvement including those previously listed in the world if the Faith is not compromised and/or deprioritized.

7. ”Long ago back on that mountain with poisonous herbs, she said to that man “Everyone is tested at some point, I believe this is my test.” … but if you asked me, I think she passed.:
    A test (of the heart?) as in being brought so low that you may turn into an unbeliever? Then yes I agreed that she passed with the test in keeping the Faith. But if she is kept to her merit based salvation belief then no because she failed to do what was "right".

Enough of Photo’s religion and the anecdotal individuals that sold her who are supposed to immediately be seen negatively, lets move on.

The caravan before eating give thanks to all of creation? What is that supposed to mean, that they are pantheists? What nation in Europe was still pagan around the last three or so centuries? Or are they somehow pseudo-christian? (or apostate 20th century Christendom) Nazi German war criminals based on looking at that perfect Aryan boy with the blonde hair and blue eyes who dreams of growing into an Übermench hero? And if they were, would they not be smarter to have Photo test their edibility if they were picked wild? Thought the poison herbs were hemlock water dropwort until Kino mentions the lower altitude edible where this real life poison one also exists.

Post-completion: I know I sure as hell said a lot but I hated this show so much that I was so close to dropping it after this episode but chose not to because I wanted to see how bad it was for unusual reasons. What I thought I was getting was a sufficiently wealthy individual who wanted to travel as a way to temporarily get away from home and explore different cultures as a way to consider emigration. Instead all of these anachronisms and unrealisim made it into three things mostly. A jerk off fantasy of evil people suffering
. Humans behaving in a way they would not realistically, especially Kino. Vagrancy which is tough in reality made easy travel almost as if vacation.

I have heared that the 2003 version is much better and some are aware of this ones issues. But even then I was given such a bad impression that I am not sure if I should even take it into consideration.
If so, my expectations are similar settings taking place in Europe with at least early 20th century technologies and ways of thinking not historically accurate.
XpldFrFantasyLndApr 7, 11:13 AM
May 27, 4:00 AM
Jul 2021
Toilet-bound Hanako-kun, is that you?
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2017

76 by Dawizz »»
May 27, 4:01 AM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2017

256 by Dawizz »»
May 27, 3:59 AM

» I thought Kino was a guy.

Nyamaste - May 2, 2022

13 by Dawizz »»
May 27, 3:57 AM

» will there be a season 2 in your opinions?

Aguy711 - Nov 13, 2022

4 by Dawizz »»
May 27, 3:55 AM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 6, 2017

209 by Dawizz »»
May 27, 3:53 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.