Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Nov 16, 2017 6:45 AM

Apr 2015
I feel like I would have reacted the same way to Misaki's quiz. "It was, uh, that guy...yeah, I was about to say that!"

"I'm going someplace far away." Oh noooo Misaki I feel like that's a metaphor for something. Don't do it.

"I found the perfect candidate...someone even more worthless than me." Why is that so harsh yet so sweet coming from Misaki's mouth?

Why is Sato so mean to Misaki? She's literally a walking fantasy; an adorable, judgment-free girl who wants nothing but his company.

"That's why the Internet is full of people insulting one another anonymously." Wow, they found the MAL forums?

Really...Yamazaki was like "lol I'm not actually gonna send you any cheese because it's a pain in the ass, get rekt starving NEET"? Worst friend 0/10

Sato broke his hikikomori ways in the same way that girl's brother did...by almost starving to death. Unfortunately, he got a boring-ass terrible crossing guard job.

"Apparently, she collapsed in the bathroom." I feel like Misaki didn't just collapse. Overdose? Slitting her wrists?

"Would you just please be a friend to my Misaki?" Ohhhh, too bad he screwed that up.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Aug 23, 2018 5:34 PM

Aug 2007
I think Misaki clearly has her own set of problems. And she is very selfish to use Satou to find a reason to live and depend on, as is Satou trying to thrive off other people to maintain his hikikomori lifestyle.

I think Satou was right to reject her? Because getting in a relationship with someone that only pities you at first is a pretty awful beginning. Neither of them deserve that.

Sep 13, 2018 4:56 AM

Mar 2017
I guess the message made sense, as it also worked for the other girl's brother. And I am okay with that kind of message. But I absolutely despise Misaki as a character and as a person, so this finale makes me feel nothing... Sato's situation got solved too quick as well, if you think about it he was still the same old idiot that he started out as a few episodes ago. Falling for obvious pyramid schemes, still being delusional about his relationship with senpai etc.

All in all this series could have easily been a 9/10, as it was so relatable and well-crafted in parts. But everything from the suicide arc onwards ruined it for me. I will still give it a 6/10 because it was worth to suffer through those awful parts. But I am fully prepared to give this series the middle finger after the finale. I sincerely hope Misaki dies and Sato is happy without her.
Nov 12, 2018 4:02 PM

May 2010
I absolutely love how Satou was shocked after hearing that his father has to be hospitalized, so he won't get money from his parents anymore. Oh yeah, his father might be dying, and his mother might be in pieces because of that, but who cares about that shit, he'll have to do something with his life, noooo!

xD It's like I can't even hate him any more than I already do.

I do feel bad for Misaki though, she's gone through too much already.
Apr 30, 2019 9:10 AM

Feb 2019
Pleasantly surprised. So far, the absolute BEST episode of the series. I'm really really grateful that they didn't disappoint us in this 23rd episode. A lot of emotions felt here. And finally, surprisingly, we get to know A LOT about Misaki. Happy that they managed to give us her story so late in the show.

I had a feeling something was up from the beginning. She was suddenly too happy while doing the quiz thing, famous last words, talking about the promontory which has become a spot where people commit suicide, asking rhetorically whether grated yams on New Year are good. It was supported further by the new contract she wrote. From a regular perspective, yeah, it was awkward and creepy. But if you see it from the perspective of someone who's observed her and knows her (us, as the viewer), it makes sense. As her uncle would later say, she's socially inept. That means she's not the best at interacting with people, and the way she expressed her feelings and thoughts was through that contract. It might seem that she looks down on him, and probably she does, but at the same time that's because she is insecure about herself (the bit in Satou's room was really deep and right, how people lower others to feel better about themselves).

But Misaki's true desires are seen here. She wants someone to love her, to need her, to be there for and with her. It's not purely because she sees him as someone lower who she can feel better about herself around. She WANTS him in her life, even if she can't express it in a better way.

I felt sad when Misaki's backstory was finally revealed. Her biological father dying, her step-father beating her mother and her up constantly, her mother committing suicide, her being left alone with her evil step-father. These things really destroy someone's life. I understand now why she's done what she's done and why she's said what she's said. She's broken, really really broken. She is far more broken than Satou ever was. The violence from her step-father traumatised her, seeing him beating up her mother and beating up her. And then her mother committed suicide, which made it worse. I'd think she thought, did her mother really love her as her daughter if she killed herself and left her alone with her step-father, causing her even more pain and suffering? Growing up, she didn't feel any love or affection. No one seemed to love her, no one seemed to care for her, no one seemed to need her. There seemed like no reason for her existence.

Not sure what caused her sudden collapse. But I almost knew she was going to her hometown to kill herself (the conversation with Satou in the beginning). As some in this discussion have pointed out, Satou decided right. It was good for both him and her, not to have accepted her then and there with that contract. Why would anyone accept such a thing where clearly you are being looked down upon? Even if he had accepted for the sake of Misaki, it would not have helped her either. She would have leaned on him like a crutch and wouldn't be able to live. She would still be broken, not learning or becoming someone better at all. How he HANDLED it was horrible. He rejected her harshly and didn't even give her a clear reason, even when she screamed that she was lonely, basically admitting completely that truly it is her who needs him, more than he needs her (probably).

Good on Satou to get a job and leave his hikikomori/NEET life. It's really plausible that when faced with death, that's when Satou finally forces himself to find a job to earn money. But his words explained why it doesn't work on everyone. If you are not ready to die, then you will work. But not all hikikomori aren't ready to die, some are. It might not work on them. Thankfully, it worked on Satou.

That was a really intense episode, and made watching all the 22 episodes before it worthwhile. I'm really sad that it's coming to an end now. I don't want it to ever end. Finally feels this anime has really become what it has been all along.

Now, Satou, save her. Save Misaki.
May 17, 2019 7:27 PM
Jul 2011
Satou finally realises how lucky he is up until now being a NEET. Without his daily necessities, he has no choice but to work. At least he didn't commit suicide this time.

I hope he took the Nozomi shinkansen instead of Kodama to catch up Misaki.

Last episode. This is getting intense!
May 22, 2019 7:52 PM
Jul 2013
So finally all the pieces of "the Misaki PUZZLE" fall into place, but can Satou get there in time to save her? Judging by the message Misaki left, she wants to be saved by Satou.
On one hand, Satou saving Misaki is a perfect ending, they come together and live happily ever after. But on the other hand, being as original as it is, I wouldn't like to see the story take the obvious route. I prefer to see Satou not making it and watching from a distance as Misaki throws herself off that cliff. And then he can truly despair but keep on living with the guilt, because he doesn't have the guts to follow suit.
Nov 1, 2019 4:26 AM
Jul 2016
Obviously, Misaki has problems as well. But I think she drew up that contract with good intentions, albeit very desperate sounding.

Having an original ending isn't about the outcome being good or bad, it's about how it's executed. We'll see.
Nov 18, 2019 11:33 AM
May 2008
Misaki’s contract really hit me. She didn’t know how to express herself. She just wanted to feel loved.

And yes, Sato handled it poorly. Of course you don’t sign a contract like that. It’s just weird. Should’ve torn it up in front of her. She just needs a friend. A hug couldn’t have hurt? But it was nice to see Sato back on his feet, and dealing with reality.

So glad i continued this series from way back when i started it. This episode made it all the way worth it.
Feb 2, 2020 11:34 AM

Dec 2018
all of those revelations about misaki's life could have easily deduced if sato would have spent 5 fucking seconds thinking about anyone but himself.
good for him for getting a job
piss on him for not being appreciative of anything anyone has done for his sorry ass
Feb 4, 2020 1:58 PM

Mar 2016
Damn, although I hate how Misaki basically only treats Sato for her own benefit, when it comes down to it such as when Misaki start talking about death, then admitting that she's lonely, it's still not right to just leave her be Sato! But at the same time, his self-esteem is so far down that he doesn't even think that he has the right to save her. The problems just can't be laid on a single character alone.

As was before said along the line of; "A man will work when he needs food to fill his stomach" The full cut off of all allowances Sato had forced him to actually get a job, he is no longer NEET or a hikikomori. Well done indeed!

Misaki's backstory is fully revealed now. A tragic story of how marrying an annoying cockroach into the family will only bring suffering. The death of a mother, the abuse of the daughter mentally and physically, all caused by a good for nothing NEET that calls himself step-father. Mere filth that decides nothing less than being left in eternal pain to rot in the deepest reaches of hell.

Sato may never always have the common sense, in fact, he can sometimes be absolutely stupid, Misaki may never always had the best of intentions, sometimes she only cared for herself. But int he end, these 2 needed each other or else they both will collapse one way or another. Get to the goddamn train CJ Sato!
Feb 26, 2020 8:58 AM

Dec 2018
Every human existed never wants to be useless, it simply means you have no reason to be alive. I can personally say it's one of my fears in life, every time I think about my future it crosses my mind.

Please Misaki-chan, don't give up yet.
Mar 24, 2020 9:10 AM

Oct 2013
Satou is a truly egoist. When his problems started to fade away, he left Misaki right after she seemed to act differently, more unsafe than usual. :/

Another emotional episode. Misaki had truly a harsh childhood and experiences as a little girl. I hope everything will end fine eventually. This anime had some unrealistic circumstances at first, like meeting "a guarding angel" and former friends by Satou, so I wouldn't mind if its ending was like that as well. To be honest I don't want this show to have a bad ending.

One episode left.
Jun 4, 2020 1:59 PM

Sep 2014
not gonna lie, Im heavily disappointed by this outcome. The entire show portrayed his character as someone who has serious mental breakdowns when he is out in public alone and now suddenly he is fine working a job.
This was already done in the exact some way with his class reps brother, so I shouldnt be surprised. But it still feels pretty cheap. All of this for basically nothing we didnt already see 1 to 1 in a little side arc.

I already posted my disdain for Misaki in the last episodes discussion so I wont repeat everything here again. it was kinda obvious she has serious issues atleast after the suicide island plot and I dont want her to die because of it, but I still dont think this is a good outcome for both of them. Though I expected her to be a bit more subtile about it after the last episode, she kinda blew it in this one.
So I really dont know where this hate for Satou comes from, I know cute anime girls never do anything wrong but atleast you should know this situation was obviously going to happen, its basically a repetition of the stalker reveal.

This show slowly shifted away from Satous social problems to human interactions, but when those faded away I thought they would wrap it up more carefully instead of tossing it out of the window and focussing on main girl. Remember how Satou wanted to get a job at the very beginning of the show? Yeah we are back to step 1 GG.

Really I loved this show so far but now Im just disappointed the whole premise boils down to "just get a job". This is a very outdated approach to mental issues from back when the preferred solution was literally "just work more and you wont have time to think about how miserable your life is". From a country which has a high suicide rate tied to getting overworked I really expected more. Its japanese media after all..

"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jun 23, 2020 1:22 PM

Aug 2014
Another fantastic episode, even better than the last. I wish the rest of the show had met this standard of writing, or at least cut down the length of the show.

It's great to see Sato FINALLY have some development. That being said, I understand that the creators might have dragged this out as long as it is to truly hammer in just how difficult and lengthy the process to leaving the NEET lifestyle is. Like Sato says, it's an easy trap to fall into as your food, shelter, and clothes are assured for a decent chunk of time. They become dependent on other people to live, not realizing or not even caring about the pain and suffering it causes the enablers. However, it is a two-way street. Both the dependent and the enablers are at fault for creating a NEET.

In Misaki's case, she was the enabler. Sato may have shown some growth throughout the series in terms of being able to go outside, however Misaki was still making him meals that he could rely on effectively, cleaning his house for him, and deciding where they needed to go out to in public rather than letting Sato decide that for himself. Perhaps it was an unconscious effort to keep Sato as a NEET, ironically fulfilling the NHK conspiracy Sato was so paranoid about. Sato's situation was something that Misaki never should have gotten involved in, that much is obvious. However, she felt the need to validate her worth as a person, so she became the enabler. It ultimately caused her more pain and suffering in the end, leading to the situation at the end of the episode.

The point here is that both Misaki and Sato should not be involved with each other. They create a toxic dependency on each other that is proven to be unsustainable by the end of this episode. With that being said, I do hope Misaki turns out alright in the end, and that Sato and Misaki go their separate ways in life. Both of them need desperate help outside of each other to get to the root of their problems.
CriscosandwichJun 23, 2020 1:25 PM

Mar 16, 2021 6:59 AM
Aug 2017
Atavistic said:
As good and depressing as this all is, it seems like the victim card is being used way too much to justify Misaki's actions and blame Sato for supposedly being selfish. So getting a job is being selfish? Trying to avoid a toxic relationship where Misaki is perpetually looking down upon and undoubtedly putting down Sato as a failure of a human being is selfish? Sure, her past is unfortunate, but the way she's been acting in these last few episodes is no better than how Senpai was acting in the suicide arc a while back; she's being incredibly selfish, demeaning and condescending towards Sato, even if that is far from what she has actually intended.

THIS RIGHT HERE. It sucks that Misaki had a terrible childhood but I really can't like her at all. She looks down Sato and uses him as her crutch to keep on going. Even if Sato can be terrible sometimes, he doesn't deserve that. Man, I swear these characters really need to see a therapist.
Apr 10, 2021 11:24 PM

Aug 2018
Very hard to watch, and seeing Misaki being stupid and hating on god is annoying. But at the same time Im about to cry. this anime is a lot to handle

Apr 27, 2021 2:18 PM

Jun 2015
Horrible pacing, repetitive; the message that a hikikomori would eventually get hungry and work has already been discussed in Episode 19.
Misaki's mystery and background reveal was anticlimactic, and also plot convenience in terms of timing.
May 15, 2021 6:01 AM
Feb 2021
Apr 2, 2022 10:00 AM
Nov 2020
God some one please give this girl a hug, she is way to nice of a person to be putting up with this.
Aug 29, 2022 8:39 PM

May 2015
Misaki better have a happy ending or I'll riot
Sep 29, 2022 12:41 PM

Feb 2022
10/10 I'm literally speechless.
When you hear the OP on piano as a bgm, you know it's time to cry.
degenerate-2002Sep 29, 2022 12:48 PM
                                                    slice of life anime, my beloved.

2D>>>>>>
Oct 18, 2022 6:00 AM

Sep 2017
Well atleaast sato got out of being a hikikomori. but seeing him work instead of having a game company like he envisioned was depressing af.

got to look after misaki now.....

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Aug 6, 2023 11:16 PM

Jun 2021
Holy Shit this episode is TOP TIER BASED, and i expected for misaki to commite suicide because she said that she felt like the worst human waste without helping satou, holy shit in this anime every person that satou meet is same or worst that him, in fact, satou is the most lucky of all the characters.
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH
Sep 14, 2023 9:11 AM
Aug 2023
Satoh is really coming into his own. now that we are seeing Misaki's true colors, learning that she only really likes Satoh because he is a pathetic runt she can treat like a dog, and yet he goes to save her anyways. not to mention working as a flagger. lets go Satoh!
Oct 24, 2023 10:18 AM

Sep 2017
Why did I expect some generic rom(?)com anime to be an avant-garde psychological mind blowing one?
خ
Oct 26, 2023 8:21 PM
Apr 2022
Reply to crazyspinz
It's great sato is moving on but he knows deep down he is longing for a friend and a lover. Misaki is the obvious person but he turned her down harshly.
@crazyspinz misaki manipulated him so she could feel better about her own insecurities. He doesn’t owe her anything
Oct 27, 2023 8:18 PM
Jan 2022
Satou finally stopped being a hikki, but his entire journey so far seems hazy, almost like a dream.
He had to abandon his lifestyle, because that life was no longer comfortable.
Soon I will go to live alone, and I suppose I will also have to live life like that, but in my position, having to find a job from what I studied at university and I have avoided looking for work
We have all been Misaki-chan, we have all sought to save someone, the people I tried to save are no longer in my life... just because you save someone is no guarantee that they will always be with you, that is something that over time you learn
If this anime is in the year 2006, now Satou must be 39 years old, and Misaki must be 35 years old... all adults must be
At my 24 years old, I must face adult life once and for all, although I don't know where to start.
For now I am not alone since I live with my family and I have my friends, but when I'll don't have them, I will be alone...

Excellent chapter, I will watch the next one the next week very gladly, this anime has accompanied me these months since I finished university, it has been quite an experience
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

SunSir - Mar 2, 2008

144 by venbals »»
53 minutes ago

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DarkBlue - Feb 7, 2008

314 by venbals »»
May 29, 12:42 AM

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kie_ - Sep 5, 2008

128 by venbals »»
May 29, 12:18 AM

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kie_ - Sep 4, 2008

133 by venbals »»
May 28, 11:20 PM

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kie_ - Sep 4, 2008

129 by venbals »»
May 28, 10:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.