Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Nov 12, 2016 10:18 AM

Jul 2008
A lot of hate for Kyoukai in this thread.
To be honest, she is a pretty realistic charter.
Imagine someone invading your family and taking over what you are aspiring for.

The real culprit is her father for not giving proper attention to his children.
Nov 12, 2016 11:59 PM

Jul 2008
Damn...all of my problems with Rei just went away with this episode. Completely turned to his side now.

His Aunt and adopted sister were absolute bitches.
Nov 13, 2016 5:05 AM

Jul 2009
It's becoming clear why 3-gatsu has won all these manga awards.

I have to say, I'm usually not shinbou's biggest fan but he and shaft are doing an absolute bang-up job here, no complaints at all :)
Nov 13, 2016 1:20 PM

Sep 2014
this show is a rollercoaster of joy and sadness
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Nov 13, 2016 6:53 PM

Mar 2009
Manaa said:
I've never liked SHAFT to be honest, and only decided to watch Sangatsu no Lion because the manga it is based on shares the author with Honey and Clover. Now I can't express how glad I am this one specific studio is making the anime, because the work they do here is simply brilliant. Every episode makes me speechless, this one especially - literally no words on how greatly directed it was. Every feelings Rei goes through are so vividly shown, starting from tenderness when his "father" gave him his cardigan, and ending on despair he fell into when he saw Momo's scratches. Wow, just wow. An award for portraiting peple's emotions.

coronene said:
It's becoming clear why 3-gatsu has won all these manga awards.

I have to say, I'm usually not shinbou's biggest fan but he and shaft are doing an absolute bang-up job here, no complaints at all :)

We're quite fortunate that Shaft is showing an incredible amount of restraint when it comes to this series. Honestly didn't think they had it in 'em, given their recent works. Not that they're recent works are bad, I mean, but how manic their directing style usually is - it would have been an awful mix with March Comes in Like a Lion.

It's been so long since I've read the manga, so I forgot how tough of a life Rei's had. He's obviously the type of guy who holds it all in(also the type of guy to constantly blame himself), until he can't anymore, like the scene with Momo(reminded him of his own younger sister, which was quite heartbreaking). Had to be incredibly tough for him to comfort Hinata in episode 3 without breaking down himself.

Always found it interesting how Masachika Kouda ended up being Rei's savior, but in doing so neglected his own kids, thereby causing even more stress for Rei. You can definitely blame his parenting style, but it's also not so black-and-white. He's not a bad guy.

Anyway, one of the best shows of the season.
Nov 15, 2016 12:38 AM

Jun 2013
Can the animals in this show stop talking already? its pissing me off and making me almost drop for cringeness.

I like the story but the comedy is so cringy and bad that makes me uncertain if i should continue watching or not. For real..
Nov 15, 2016 4:38 PM

Apr 2014
Momo is adorable

sad episode but the talking animals made it slightly less sad. i really like Rei's step-father, but that whole family situation sucks...really complex and realistic. i really want to see how the sister is now
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 26, 2016 2:18 AM
Jul 2016
I wish they'd stop with the talking animal gimmick every episode, it's getting old real fast.
Dec 3, 2016 12:53 PM

Jul 2015
Uau. Was all I wanted to see. Development. The protagonist has for sure some value to me now. I want to know what happened after that and where those people are right now.
Dec 4, 2016 5:13 AM

Nov 2015
Momo is such a cuty, my hurt was melting when she got hurt. (fuck that dog)
Rei's past was so sad and tough.
The directing of this show is exceedingly great!

5/5
Dec 6, 2016 11:25 AM

Jul 2016
I thought this was an okay episode, then I came here and apparently everyone is praising it?
I will make it clear, I don't really care for the "dramatic" stuff that happen in this show; they just make the show beyond boring for me, since they are so drawn-out and don't touch me in the least, with the exception of Hinata's breakdown moment in episode 4, but that's the only scene that managed to touch me. Yet people think this episode was more touching? ...I will never understand that.
Maybe it's just me, but the only thing I liked about this episode was the part with Momo. Rei's backstory was okay, I guess.

Honestly, I will keep watching this show just for the Kawamoto family.

‏‏‎ ‎

「‏‏‎ artist‏‏‎ 」

「‏‏‎ don't forget to wear your‏‏‎ mask‏‏‎ 」

「‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ 」
Dec 12, 2016 11:09 AM

Oct 2013
Wow. That backstory is breathtaking. I'm looking forward to learning more about both of his families.
Dec 17, 2016 4:48 AM

Apr 2015
My life is completely different from him but the episode was completely relatable. Great episode
Mar 18, 2017 6:38 AM

Nov 2013
I want to see more of Kyoko. She is so cool and passionate. May be she was too envious but i still support her. I can't blame her. That was her stupid fucking dad's fault.
GvendolineMar 18, 2017 6:50 AM
Mar 20, 2017 5:18 AM

Mar 2015
So we get the Kiryama backstory at last. What a past he's grown from.
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Mar 25, 2017 5:50 AM
Dec 2009
Interesting to see how Rei ended up at his foster home. So he didn’t like shoji then… does he now? Or has it always been a tool for him to "escape" with? I love that they addressed his backstory so early on. There's obviously more too it but I feel much more "attached" to Rei as a character now that we know some more details about his past.
Apr 3, 2017 3:39 PM

May 2012
Damn that backstory sure was dark and depressing :// quite great character development though! It's good to know a bit more about his past.
Apr 6, 2017 2:04 PM

Mar 2017
Rei's backstory is so sad aww. I really feel so sorry for him ;w;

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Apr 10, 2017 9:00 AM

Jan 2014
Kyouko is a beautiful girl, I wonder what happened after Rei left the household.
May 31, 2017 4:27 PM
Aug 2014
Didn't really get the impression that he liked Shogi from the previous episodes and it looks like he didn't when he was younger; wonder if he does now.

Those talking animals need to go away.

Thought the cuckoo comparison was a bit too much; they clearly weren't talented enough. Thanks to Rei it just happened a bit sooner.

Sep 13, 2017 9:18 AM

Mar 2016
Wow that was a disturbing back story.
Nov 26, 2017 8:33 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
That ending was really powerful.
Loving it so far, some people cant like the show due to its slow pacing, I can understand that on some series, but I loved it here, the slow pacing, slow building of the characters and plot development is so relaxing and sad at the same time...
Jan 4, 2018 9:37 AM

Feb 2014
One more reason for me to not like dogs

Rei's story is really sad, felt more sorry for Kyouko than for him though
Jan 12, 2018 5:49 PM

Jun 2009
This series has been fantastic so far, god damn. I hear Umino wanted Shaft for this series and it looks like this has been an excellent combo because her writing and the visuals make for an excellent experience so far.

So, about the scene last episode with Kyouko. A lot of people seem to assume it was sexual assault. But, honestly, I'm not so sure at this point. What if Rei was in love with her at one point and that scene with her in the bed, which at first glance does come across as kind of sexual, was just her bullying him like we saw in this ep? If he did grow up to like her in that way then her hatred for him could definitely lead to complicated feelings. That said, hopefully this will be expanded on later in the series when she inevitably shows up in the present day.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 14, 2018 3:42 PM
Nov 2016
This series is really getting going now. I have endless sympathy for nearly all the characters involved. It's so interesting to see how Rei got to where he is now, through bonding with his father over shogi and then trying to impress his "new father". The only person that really bothered me in this episode was Rei's adoptive father; the way he had his children competing for his affection by being good at shogi was appalling. I even feel sorry for Kyouko, as seeing it from her perspective, her father was stolen away by some other kid. I can see why she'd despise Rei. But that just makes me feel worse for Rei, since he lost his family and then had to leave the second one. He's a good guy with an unfortunate past. I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of the series progresses.
Aug 19, 2018 11:39 AM

Apr 2015
Kyouko was such a bitch. She can catch these hands.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 23, 2018 5:21 PM

Jun 2011
I'm really hoping for more light-hearted, optimistic and comedic parts of this show. The melodrama is a bit off-putting for me.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Dec 21, 2018 12:32 AM
Jul 2018
Best episode yet. Tonal shifts were appropriate and episode as a whole brought real depth to Rei's characer. Loved Momo. That annoying blob Nikaoudo was nowhere to be seen. Drama maybe was a little too heavy. Could have been spaced out in two episodes.

Either a 4 or a 4.5/5.
removed-userDec 21, 2018 7:34 PM
Dec 31, 2018 5:55 PM

Jun 2015
finally getting into the real plot
Feb 3, 2019 6:52 PM
Apr 2018
Momo is one of the most adorable kids I've seen in anime.

Rei's life has been pretty awful. Too tragic.
Feb 4, 2019 1:30 PM
Jan 2016
We finally get to see Rei's backstory which explains a lot. Wasn't expecting a little sister gut punch. Adoptive dad seems just like the mom from YLIA - thinks that what he does is good for his kids but actually he is just an awful parent. Very sad to see Rei's misguided love for him and how he compares himself to a cuckoo chick, blaming himself for everything that has happened. It also provides proper context to a match from Episode 1 - Rei feels that he took being a cuckoo chick to a logical conclusion and "devoured" his father as well. "Kyouko and Ayumu are worried about you", my ass. How deluded is that guy? Kyouko looks like a girl from the rapey flashback, I guess we'll see more about that some time later.
DanteRU0312Feb 4, 2019 1:52 PM
Feb 9, 2019 2:34 PM

May 2016
When Rei remembered her little sister a part of my heart was broken.
Mar 20, 2019 8:00 AM

Feb 2013
Damn, he also had a little sister, too damn sad!
And his family was super awful, they didn't care about him at all.
And meh, I really hate Kyouko, that brat couldn't stand to see someone better than her.
May 20, 2019 6:58 PM
Dec 2017
It's finally getting really good. It got serious real quick. This series is highly rated. So I knew it couldn't be just a slice of life show with the Akari sisters.

Shogi literally saved Rei's life.
May 22, 2019 11:18 PM

Sep 2017
Child Rei is so fucking cute. Not nearly as cute as Momo though, of course. Know what's even cuter? Rei AND Momo.

This entire episode was really sad. I loved it. I respect Rei so much more after this episode. You as the viewer can truly tell he is hurting from his awful past. His character had to suffer through so much. It almost feels like he's a real person. It's remarkable that this is only the fifth episode and we have already gotten so much development for these characters. Also, Akari is really wise, huh?
Sep 29, 2019 9:21 PM

Sep 2018
The shogi family that adopt Rei is toxic!.. focusing only on shogi is so stupid. It just a game! I hate that orange hair girl! I know she's just jealous but hurting him don't make a difference! Grrr I really really hate girls like her!!!!
Oct 2, 2019 1:28 PM

Jul 2015
Damn that dog for hurting the cutest kid of this series

Rei's family and Kyouko are pretty shitty, not caring for Rei at all after his big loss, at least his father's friend is there

May 30, 2020 2:21 AM

Oct 2016
Damn that was a powerful but, also very painful episode. Rei has been through some shit.
Jun 22, 2020 10:26 PM
Nov 2014
I started this anime three days ago and, in my opinion, this episode has been the best one so far. Very deep and emotional. Now we have more knowledge about Rei's past and background, which lead us to understand his personality and actions more deeply.

As the series goes by I start like it more and more.
Jul 1, 2020 10:01 AM
Aug 2018
Best episode so far. I'm finally loving it.
Aug 12, 2020 2:42 PM

Jan 2015
This anime keeps getting better and better.
Aug 19, 2020 1:32 PM

Jul 2016
I originally dropped this series 2 years ago and now I'm picking it up again and rewatching it from the beginning, I wish this episode was one of the first episodes because I definitely would've continued this series since it finally hooked me into the show.
Aug 26, 2020 8:17 PM
Oct 2019
His mother, father and sister laying there - cold - with sheets over them. That hurt me.

His aunt attempting to dump him into an orphanage hurt. That bitch daughter testing him poorly hurt. Sure, it was not an easy situation for those 2 biological children but SHEESH. And blame certainly goes to that father for how he raised/neglected them in the hammer he did.

Poor Kiriyama, feeling like he killed the baby birds and assumed the nest/life that would've otherwise been theirs.
Sep 3, 2020 5:03 AM

Jul 2020
Rei’s past is so sad and tragic. Finally we get to know how he ended up living alone and why he played Shogi. And good for him that he has the three sisters and Nikaidou and those other Shogi players as his friend.
Sep 12, 2020 1:11 PM

May 2018
So this was why Rei was in so much pain when he beat his 'dad' ; because he did not want to devour any more of his new family
Oct 2, 2020 11:49 AM
Sep 2007
Those flashbacks... looks like Kyouko was venting being the unfavorite (or so she thinks). Their dad really should think about how he treats the two (parental favorism rarely ends well). Shogi really shouldn't be the only thing that family values.

As for the dog part, it's really sad we can't hear animal's thoughts IRL. I wonder how many panic attacks from my own childhood it would have prevented (to me dog running towards me and barking usually indicates aggression, not playfulness - good look not getting terrified, even as adult, when you think you're gonna be painfully bitten for just being there).
korsarzOct 2, 2020 12:04 PM
Feb 5, 2021 5:17 AM
Apr 2016
Rewatch here:

I've completely forgotten that Rei also had a sister, and that makes it even more tragic. When I first watched this anime, I missed a pretty small but experience-changing detail: the metaphor of Rei's "I like shogi" lie — his shirt being slightly split and the observation of the fact that pulling the string would exacerbate it further, referring to his lie steadily devouring him because of the inevitability that he'd have to ensue pulling the lie-covered string for as long as he lived. Subtle details like that enhance the immersion by a ton for me; thank you, author! I gave it a 9 initially, but now that I'm rewatching it, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of me giving it a 10/10.
Feb 26, 2021 6:48 PM

Mar 2018
This is what Slice of Life should be, full of up's and downs, just as life is.

This anime captures this essence damn near perfectly only 5 episodes in. The range of emotions and feeling is already so vast and powerful.

Also the background music is really beautiful, reminds me of Lo-fi
Celest__Feb 27, 2021 6:10 PM
Mar 26, 2021 9:55 AM

Aug 2018
Hm.. So his whole family died in one day.. Accident?..
Well, he doesn't like shougi.. But maybe also doesn't dislike either?.. Like majority of people work actually not the work of their dreams.. So it's no tragedy, really, if he'll work job he's just neutral about, really.. He got lucky he was taken, really.. It'd be much harder to live in orphanage for him, with how he badly gets with other people..
And even if he got disliked by some of family members.. In orphanage he'd get disliked by even more people, with how many people are in there..
It did affect the other people in the family he arrived in, on the other hand.. But it's that parent's responsibility and choice that he accepted Rei in the family.. And children.. They can do something else in life, not necessary shougi.. Rei wasn't the only opponent for them, they just weren't on the level, it's just not for them.. People just have to find something else to do in life, and that's all.. Or continue to seek shougi, if that's what they want.. If Rei wouldn't be a dangerous opponent for them, someone else would.. And if it's about critic - who cares.. I mean, if press would start to say that they suck comparing with Rei and stuff.. Results are what matters.. And badmouthing - additional advertisement, really.. Yeah, it'd be different than if they wouldn't pick him in family.. But everything is still possible.. Just decide, on what you want to reach.. Continue on shougi route.. Or do something else..
Jun 29, 2021 8:02 AM

Jun 2020
Bawling like a baby almost every episode. That scene where Rei brought Momo home to tend to her wounds & then got reminded of his past & started crying — I cried so hard. The art & sound direction were so immersive too.

Feel so bad for Rei. His character makes me so sad. I can feel how alone in all of this he feels. All those scenes of him & his apartment as well always leave this empty feeling in me. He must be in so much pain & hurt. I feel so emotional watching this. Umino Chika & her way with her stories & characters always speak the words of my heart.

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 21, 2017

93 by Randomega »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 12, 2016

97 by Randomega »»
Yesterday, 7:45 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2017

179 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
May 19, 2:08 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 11, 2017

109 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
May 19, 1:46 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 11, 2017

110 by LeenPhoenixRae »»
May 18, 11:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.