Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
May 1, 2016 2:59 PM

Jan 2015
@opticalsunset
@keragamming

For me, FMA:B has a better story but it takes until near the end to get amazing, My Hero Academia is already amazing, also, Hunter x Hunter (2011) is no doubt enjoyable, but it really likes to drag things out (Chimera Ant arc).
May 1, 2016 3:07 PM

Oct 2013
Wiziliz said:
@opticalsunset
@keragamming

For me, FMA:B has a better story but it takes until near the end to get amazing, My Hero Academia is already amazing, also, Hunter x Hunter (2011) is no doubt enjoyable, but it really likes to drag things out (Chimera Ant arc).

I definitely agree about the chimera ant arc, it was a very dull/dragout arc. Ok, opinion I guess?
May 1, 2016 3:12 PM

May 2010
Ooo Infinity! That alone should earn Ochako infinite points. Love her <3

Deku was truly a man of action there. Can't want till dat damned Kacchan acknowledges, I want a shameless apology (i might dislike him but ye that one scene where he threw the ball and yelled "die!" made me laugh)

And @Fai seriously, hurry up and drop it. The MC didn't even whine this ep. Tbh you whine more than him when it comes to this show.
TragicRomanceMay 1, 2016 3:16 PM
May 1, 2016 3:24 PM

Dec 2012
I got goosebumps at the end. The music was great too.
Aizawa is a badass!
May 1, 2016 3:36 PM
Feb 2013
Helenus said:
Every episode I wonder why Bakugo is so hostile towards Deku. They were friends in their childhood, weren't they?

Is he just a really big tsundere or is there a reason for his behaviour?

I wonder if they will adress this question in the anime.

He may be feeling his potential

Great episode,just watched all the episodes and I'm feelin' it ! :D
May 1, 2016 3:38 PM

Jul 2015
MC again spent time crying

The MC didn't even cry in the episode.

Absolutely nothing of importance happened that would indicate any sort of direction beyond the incredibly generic and cringe "crybaby tries to git gud" kind of story.

Izuku focusing all of his power into his finger becomes crucial in the future. So yes, it was important.

Overall Boku No Hero is slow and typical "more of the same" shonen show with an unlikable MC and the plot as basic as it can be.

I feel like you're knocking the series down for being a shonen. As someone said earlier, it's like going to McDonalds and complaining that it's cheap fast food. You get what you come for. The reason you don't see other people bringing up this argument is because most people knew what type of series it was going into it. From my perspective it was obvious what direction it was going in from episode 1. To still be going on and on about how it's a typical shonen by the 5th episode is a little weird.

It does not portray or explore any sort of interesting narrative the setting could provide.

Yes it does. Again, because it doesn't explore it in the first episodes, doesn't mean that it never does. That's flat out ignorance right there.
NakurawariMay 1, 2016 3:45 PM
"Your guilt will be your past, and that will be your God."
May 1, 2016 3:45 PM
Mar 2015
Fai said:
Okay can't do this. This continues to be awful. IT's really beyond me on how this can have a score that is above 6/10(which already is way too generous for a shonen).

MC again spent time crying, making want to punch him in a face again. Haven't hated an MC so hard since Nardo. Holy shit, stop whining and crying every single episode you insufferable idealistic brat. At least other shonen MCs spend time wasting the talents of their VAs actually shouting at their enemies something or declaring their attacks.

- The same formula again was used.
- The same cringe again was experienced.
- Absolutely nothing of importance happened that would indicate any sort of direction beyond the incredibly generic and cringe "crybaby tries to git gud" kind of story.

Midway through an episode had to pause and go make me some latte just to take a break from this show.

Overall Boku No Hero is slow and typical "more of the same" shonen show with an unlikable MC and the plot as basic as it can be. It does not portray or explore any sort of interesting narrative the setting could provide. The characters remain one-dimensional both in their pursuits and in their "black and white morality" alignments and the show barely trudges forward shouting at the viewer the same old shonen message of how you have to not give up and how good deeds are rewarded, blah blah blah.

I initially decided to watch this since I genuinely like comic books and superhero genre and this seemed to have quite popularity, but this does not seem to actually USE the superhero genre in any meaningful way. In fact beyond visuals, it does not FEEL like superhero genre.

Its especially jarring when we have in the same season other superhero narratives like ConREvo airing from the very same studio and providing an actual exploration of the 70-80's superhero zeitgeist and social commentary that follows in terms of concepts of propaganda, utilitarianism, power of media and the idea of blurring black and white. It really helps me put BokuHero's completely empty narrative into a perspective. The setting and the comic book genre overall provides a lot of areas to write a compelling story. In this case are made by same studio, both cover superhero narrative and deal with superhero genre themes and exploration of justice and yet Boku Hero does not seem to actually use it. Now I am not expecting BokuHero to be on the level of Watchmen, Conrevo or other superhero works, but Boku Hero does not benefit in any way from its setting . Superhero setting of BokuHero is just a window-dressing for a very typical narrative that has been done to death.

Why is Bones adapting this show, again? They are way too good of a studio that could have been allocating their resources to other far better shows instead of wasting time on this. It hurts my heart, but despite this being Bones I see no redeeming qualities for this.

2/5 for episode.

I gave the show more chances than I usually do. By every right I would have dropped it by Ep2 or 3 but I usually don't drop 12 episode shows and since this was supposedly quite popular I gave more and more chances each week.
Now, halfway through since it is 100% sure this won't change or redeem in my eyes, I don't see a reason to continue watching this, so actually dropped.

Mod Edit: He has permission to post this. Don't go on your high-horses and quote him to say "here we go again", etc. If you wanna argue points, argue points. Don't make a quote just to flame, spam, etc.

Even the animation in this show is not that great and I expected better from Bones especially since this is a 13 episode anime. They are not that great. Kacchan is really getting on my nerves. He is such a tryhard and his voice is annoying af. He is the typical, by the book, bully
May 1, 2016 3:53 PM
Apr 2016
Fai said:
Okay can't do this. This continues to be awful. IT's really beyond me on how this can have a score that is above 6/10(which already is way too generous for a shonen).

MC again spent time crying, making want to punch him in a face again. Haven't hated an MC so hard since Nardo. Holy shit, stop whining and crying every single episode you insufferable idealistic brat. At least other shonen MCs spend time wasting the talents of their VAs actually shouting at their enemies something or declaring their attacks.

- The same formula again was used.
- The same cringe again was experienced.
- Absolutely nothing of importance happened that would indicate any sort of direction beyond the incredibly generic and cringe "crybaby tries to git gud" kind of story.

Midway through an episode had to pause and go make me some latte just to take a break from this show.

Overall Boku No Hero is slow and typical "more of the same" shonen show with an unlikable MC and the plot as basic as it can be. It does not portray or explore any sort of interesting narrative the setting could provide. The characters remain one-dimensional both in their pursuits and in their "black and white morality" alignments and the show barely trudges forward shouting at the viewer the same old shonen message of how you have to not give up and how good deeds are rewarded, blah blah blah.

I initially decided to watch this since I genuinely like comic books and superhero genre and this seemed to have quite popularity, but this does not seem to actually USE the superhero genre in any meaningful way. In fact beyond visuals, it does not FEEL like superhero genre.

Its especially jarring when we have in the same season other superhero narratives like ConREvo airing from the very same studio and providing an actual exploration of the 70-80's superhero zeitgeist and social commentary that follows in terms of concepts of propaganda, utilitarianism, power of media and the idea of blurring black and white. It really helps me put BokuHero's completely empty narrative into a perspective. The setting and the comic book genre overall provides a lot of areas to write a compelling story. In this case are made by same studio, both cover superhero narrative and deal with superhero genre themes and exploration of justice and yet Boku Hero does not seem to actually use it. Now I am not expecting BokuHero to be on the level of Watchmen, Conrevo or other superhero works, but Boku Hero does not benefit in any way from its setting . Superhero setting of BokuHero is just a window-dressing for a very typical narrative that has been done to death.

Why is Bones adapting this show, again? They are way too good of a studio that could have been allocating their resources to other far better shows instead of wasting time on this. It hurts my heart, but despite this being Bones I see no redeeming qualities for this.

2/5 for episode.

I gave the show more chances than I usually do. By every right I would have dropped it by Ep2 or 3 but I usually don't drop 12 episode shows and since this was supposedly quite popular I gave more and more chances each week.
Now, halfway through since it is 100% sure this won't change or redeem in my eyes, I don't see a reason to continue watching this, so actually dropped.

Right, I'll check this off like a list going downwards.

Subjective.

Subjective, but I'll address this seriously.
He's been bullied the majority of his life due to having no quirk. Of course he's jumpy and cries a lot. Have you ever met someone who's been bullied their whole life? I have. Many of them become very introverted and much like Izuku...in fact, many become even worse. Oh and Izuki didn't even cry this episode, so what're you talking about? Also, there's plenty of shounens where the MCs don't shout at their enemies or declare their attacks, so this is just you pointlessly attacking the show because you don't like it.

This is actually correct, but there's nothing wrong with that. It's introducing the world and characters right now. This is how it should be and if you've watched any shounen anime before you should've expected this.

Purely subjective and not an actual point.

This is a pretty wild assumption on your part. Besides, even if the next episode had direction and something of importance would it really matter to you? Your mind seems to have been made up since two episodes ago so even if it got better you wouldn't acknowledge that. Also, that's quite different from what I saw. I saw world building, introduced to more characters and their quirks. These things are important or you'd have no context and next you'd complain about how many characters there suddenly are and that you have no idea who they even are. This is the introduction phase, simple as that.

Non-relevant and a meaningless attack on the show.

It's just 5 episodes in and it's only adapted 6 chapters. What did you expect? The entire world and everything fleshed out? It sounds to me like this is more about you having too high expectations/standards rather than it being a fault that lies with the show. Oh and I find it funny how you can make that assumption about the characters when we don't even know the reason why some of the students want to become heroes, if they have any.
Well yeah, heroes vs villains is pretty black and white although sometimes both heroes and villains walk on a very thin line, ala Bakugo. Again, what did you expect when we're 5 episodes in? There's still 7 episodes left and no one (except manga readers) knows what could happen in that span of time.

This is also subjective and not an actual point. For this people could go "but I FEEL like it belongs to the superhero genre!" and "yeah but I don't FEEL like it belongs to the superhero genre" forever.

ConRevo reeks X-Men setting and whatever else Marvel shits. The first episode gave off a similar impression to Rolling Girls from the past spring – smooth animation, vivid palette, and fast-paced cartoonish action, with the viewer dropped in the middle of it with little introduction. The lack of introduction being the highlight of my dislike for it. You're literally thrown into the smack of it and nothing makes sense. It also has that chronological split storyline crap going on to make it even more messy. That's all it literally is, a big mess. Also, nothing I saw in it made me think "superhero"...it made me think "supernatural/occult". I think it has the wrong tag. But see, opinions.

Mainly to get people hyped for the manga, I would guess. It's also obvious they're gearing towards a second season or more. The rest of what you said is subjective.

Fair enough.

Due to the mod edit I decided to take Fai more seriously since I felt my own post was unfair. The parts that were nothing more but subjective drivel, non-relevant and/or pointless attacks on the show were pointed out as such though. Shouldn't be a problem, right? There's a thin line between making a point and trolling after all.
XaelbolgMay 1, 2016 3:58 PM
May 1, 2016 3:54 PM
Apr 2016
Zelfic said:
Xaelbolg said:
He seemed to be under the impression that Izuku had no quirk, which means he must've somehow missed Izuki destroying that giant robot.

Remember that, since they came from the same school, they were put into different "city replicas" to prevent them from helping each other.

Ah, I didn't notice that. Thanks for pointing that out.
May 1, 2016 4:03 PM

Sep 2014
Love Aizawa's character! Hope we so a lot more of him in the future :D
May 1, 2016 4:04 PM

Jul 2013
I liked Aizawa since his entrance xD His design, voice, quirk and expressions are badass.

I'm surprised Izuku used that trick with the ball. He is more intelligent of what I thought. I liked this.

I also like how cute the female characters of this series are. Ochako, the frog girl and the pink girl are adorable.
May 1, 2016 5:00 PM
Feb 2016
This episode actually worked better than the manga chapter. It properly introduced everyone and gave us a look into their personalities simultaneously giving us a look at the realities of hero work. Aizawa is the height of rationality in this series. Im also glad that Suwabe pulled off a nice lazy tone while still being intimidating.

This series is only going to go up from here. It seems like a decent portion of the upcoming battle will be shown according to the previews.
May 1, 2016 5:05 PM

Jul 2011
Lol Kacchan. "Die!"

RIP ball.

Didn't expect him to be able to focus All For One into his finger, good going Midoriya. I forgot Kacchan was in a different exam area, so he's definitely in for a surprise!
May 1, 2016 5:08 PM

Jan 2016
So, Uraraka took out the gravity from that ball and then threw it, getting an infinite score. This, of course, implies that it kept on flying indefinitely until it hit some celestial body hundreds of light years from here.

Wishing for death but unable to die, ball eventually stopped thinking.

And while we're on the subject of JoJo references; Part 8 Josuke could totally do the exact same thing Uraraka did.

Also, Izuku's teacher is fanboying over him. The Rock Lee parallels continue.
"Now you have your answer. That's Fire Bomber. We don't know their past or future... they're just here. That's all there is." - Akiko Lips
May 1, 2016 5:23 PM

Jun 2010
Gawd this show really is straight up gold.

and once again shout out to Izuku's mom, she's the real MVP.
<--- Who Your Waifus Look Up To --->
May 1, 2016 5:25 PM

Mar 2011
Episode was enjoyable, but nothing outstanding. Just your average shounen. 3.5/5 for it.

Men are props on the stage of life, and no matter how tender, how exquisite…
A lie will remain a lie.

May 1, 2016 5:29 PM

Jan 2016
That gravity-cancel girl got infinity for the ball-throw. That means she sent it into space, right?
May 1, 2016 6:04 PM

Jul 2012
End episode 4 with an epic punch. End episode 5 with en epic throw.

What else to say but Plus Ultra.
May 1, 2016 6:18 PM

Dec 2008
My first impression of this anime when I watched the first EP was that it was rather ordinary, nothing in special so far and claimed that it could become really nice if the MC started to develop... Now I have to say after the MC started developing it became awesome and I am looking forward to the next EP's...
May 1, 2016 6:22 PM

Jul 2009
I find it funny (and hypocritical) how Aizawa can show up complaining about the kids being laidback and overly friendly yet the man comes to class in a sleeping bag looking half dead xD
May 1, 2016 6:48 PM
Sep 2014
Xaelbolg said:
Wondering how Bakugo will react to all this. He seemed to be under the impression that Izuku had no quirk, which means he must've somehow missed Izuki destroying that giant robot. I also can't imagine he'll be happy about Izuku getting .1 meter farther than him. I imagine Bakugo's attitude will have repercussions at some point. He seems more like a potential villain to me than a hero.

Looking forward to next week. Oh and hi, I'm new to MAL.

Bakugou was in a different testing facility, so he didn't get to see it.

And it was implied that Bakugou managed to throw the ball even further on his first real attempt (not including the demonstration).
May 1, 2016 7:09 PM
Oct 2007
Welcome to home room, I'm Professor Archer, and I don't like any of you.
May 1, 2016 7:46 PM
Apr 2016
Not only was the episode awesome (I am so looking forward to the full OST being released so I can listen to it on loop on youtube lol) but the positivity in the forums is so refreshing. Glad to see that (for once) everyone watching the show is enjoying it! Also nice to see two chapters adapted at once, as I know a few people were worried about whether or not USJ would be adapted in full.
May 1, 2016 7:51 PM

Aug 2013
That teacher was awesome. I mean, he's kinda a jerk for giving them such a test on their first day, but he was totally badass. And that smile at the end. He found his favorite.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
May 1, 2016 8:14 PM

Mar 2015
Nice throw bruh, did not expect that. I wonder why Deku doesn't inflate his body and get all muscle-ly when he uses his power like All Might?
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
May 1, 2016 8:14 PM

Jan 2015
keragamming said:
Wiziliz said:
@opticalsunset
@keragamming

I definitely agree about the chimera ant arc, it was a very dull/dragout arc. Ok, opinion I guess?
Not dull, just dragout.
May 1, 2016 8:16 PM

Aug 2013
Great episode as usual. Now we get to try and find Tōru (invisible girl) in every episode. Also, best girl Tsuyu finally shows up!

And is Fai finally gonna leave for real and stop making nonsense complaints? Cool.
May 1, 2016 10:04 PM

May 2015
nggggg nice episode maybe? i thought deku is always be a hero since episode 1
coz hero is always coming late
May 1, 2016 10:50 PM

Jan 2015
Ayy Midoriya blushing in front of the heroine
That sensei looks like a character from Hunter X Hunter, got that Togashi vibe.
We got Illumi, a guy with a bird's head, then a girl with an invisible body.
Fujitora's daughter with the Zero Gravity.
Yoo he's gonna use his power in the 2nd throw!
YOO MAH MAN MIDORIYA!! nice throw.
The ED is good, another good episode!
3.7/5
I really like this anime, I'm hooked. Best anime of the season so far!
May 1, 2016 11:14 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Fuck these ''hurr durr fkin shonen not original at all'' peoples who just want another complicated mature/edgy/whateverthefuck anime.
So far the anime is simple but so good. (Still not AOTS tho)
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

May 2, 2016 12:01 AM

Aug 2012
Didn't expect Deku to use only his one finger. And the homeroom teacher reminded me of Zangetsu from Bleach somehow.
May 2, 2016 1:06 AM

Oct 2015
Nice episode, everything (until now) on the Anime is on the spot, very faithfull to the manga. My AOTS this season.

Next Episode : " DEATH BATTLE ".

I'm gonna drop some bomb here

BNHA can't become Dark think again. Lol even the origin of OFA ( One for All ) is dark.
Dedy_Wicak_SonoMay 2, 2016 1:12 AM
May 2, 2016 1:10 AM

Aug 2013
One thing I'm wondering about is the Navel Laser guy's downside after using it for more than 1 second, and which translation is correct. In the manga he said his stomach would collapse while in this episode he says he'd merely get a stomach ache, at least where I read/watched it.
May 2, 2016 2:56 AM

Apr 2016
In my honest opinion. Erasure head is a major asshole and creepy beyond hell. and the anime does a great job showing that off.
his introduction scene alone has been translated so wel from the manga is is terrifying.
May 2, 2016 2:58 AM

Apr 2016
Helenus said:
Every episode I wonder why Bakugo is so hostile towards Deku. They were friends in their childhood, weren't they?

Is he just a really big tsundere or is there a reason for his behaviour?

I wonder if they will adres this question in the anime.

They kinda do in the manga. i think they also did it in earlier episodes. kinda explaining that Bakugo looks down on him for not having a quirk and that hasn't really faded. even so, he is hostile towards EVERYONE.
May 2, 2016 4:30 AM

Jan 2011
This episode was fantastic. Seeing the other students in action with their unique and different Quirks were pretty cool. Shouta Aizawa after first seemed like such a quirky yet lazy teacher. We find out that he's a hero known as Eraserhead that has the Quirk to erase one's Quirk temporarily, I'm assuming. Everyone seemed to excel at one of the 8 tests with their particular quirk. Deku was the only one that had yet to show anything significant result. Aizawa doubted Deku's ability to get into the academy. However, Deku didn't give up no matter and instead sent all the power of One For All in his fingertips as he threw the ball. That was freaking badass and the OST made it even more awesome. Heck, even All Might was surprised and thought it was really cool. I love the pacing in this show, it's so perfect. Can't wait for more Boku no Hero~
5/5
May 2, 2016 4:44 AM

Jun 2013
Almost every single person around him is an asshole save for a few. I'm liking this even more than before, I liked how he thought about concentrating his power on his finger only. I wasn't expecting that either.
臭い-
May 2, 2016 5:21 AM
Jan 2016
How he is still alive after spilling all those blood from his mouth

May 2, 2016 5:49 AM
Jan 2014
Decent episode, their new teacher seems like an interesting guy and the way he challenged Izuku was pretty cool. I also like how All Might is all worried for Izuku, he's a great mentor figure. The animation and soundtrack are great as usual.
Now I hope next week the plot can move along a bit more.
elros75May 2, 2016 5:55 AM
May 2, 2016 6:03 AM

Dec 2012
He is slowly becoming a One Finger Man!

May 2, 2016 7:03 AM
Sep 2015
TheCorruptedWolf said:
I want the next episode now.

i feel that.
plus ultra
May 2, 2016 7:16 AM

Mar 2016
It's nice to see Izuku uses his quirk without getting hurt :D
That Aizawa is some weirdo... wth was wrong with him? Hei said him that he has zero potential and then he's fascinated ._.
AluSsakMay 2, 2016 7:22 AM
May 2, 2016 9:15 AM

Jun 2014
This adaptation is fantastic!
:3
May 2, 2016 9:28 AM

Jun 2013
that was intense and he was smart using only the tip of his finger
May 2, 2016 10:17 AM

Oct 2013
Yay! Deku managed to pull it off. Let's go!
May 2, 2016 12:37 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Awesome to see Izuku's classmates finally animated.

Momo aka best girl is looking so fine. Plus we got to see second best girl Tsuyu animated too. We even got a cute ribbit.

Next episode is when we finally get to see Izuku's costume! Then we finally get to see the battle we've all been waiting for. So excited!

Izuku's mom continues to be super cute.

All in all another terrific episode perfectly adapted. I can almost guarantee that this is getting a part two in either fall or winter. At the pace it's going, and the amount of material the manga has, a sequel is practically guaranteed.
May 2, 2016 12:43 PM
Jan 2016
next episode is the Best. Bakugo vs deku TanoChiiizo
May 2, 2016 1:21 PM

Jun 2013
Man this reminds me so much of Naruto... nice episode.
May 2, 2016 1:59 PM

Jun 2014
*screams*

I don't know what it is. but something about this show makes me shake with joy and anticipation.

I can't remember the last time I rooted for a main character so had before.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
May 2, 2016 3:03 PM

Jan 2016
Hhha the characters are so cute, it makes me happy!
I especially like Iida. ♥
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» what's up with the rating?

Tormented - Jun 9

11 by Phloup »»
Jun 9, 4:08 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2016

441 by ToTheGyz »»
Jun 7, 4:52 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2016

336 by ToTheGyz »»
Jun 6, 5:04 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2016

279 by ToTheGyz »»
Jun 5, 3:26 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2016

298 by ToTheGyz »»
Jun 4, 2:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.