Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 22, 2011 8:53 PM

Jul 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
:) AMAZING. I felt so bad for Leorio when he was really tired! xD Kurapika's outfit wasn't that embarrassing..

Next episode looks awesome. And I really thought that guy was the real examiner. FAIL.
Oct 22, 2011 8:59 PM

May 2011
I am enjoying this version a little bit more each week. But I am still not sure about Hisoka's bgm. xD I didn't think it was possible but it seems like Gon became more innocent than ever. ^-^
Can't wait to see Menchi and Buhara!
Oct 22, 2011 9:02 PM
Jul 2010
I'm loving the newer art..the story seems to be moving fast and a little bit different compared to the older one but not in a bad way..and killua is as awesome here as in the older one XD...can't wait to see more differences in the coming episodes
Oct 22, 2011 9:17 PM

Sep 2007
Great episode yaay~ This remake's really warming up to me. xD
Oct 22, 2011 9:42 PM

May 2009
Great background info on Leorio and Kuripika.
Killiu seems like a cool dude.
this anime just went up to a 9/10
Oct 22, 2011 9:42 PM

Jul 2010
Scytheboy813 said:
Great background info on Leorio and Kuripika.
Killiu seems like a cool dude.
this anime just went up to a 9/10

VIVI. :3
Oct 22, 2011 10:25 PM

Mar 2010
Did I just watch a marathon anime? :P

Oct 22, 2011 10:35 PM

Jul 2009
Besides the rather annoying guitar theme associated with Hisoka, the 2 or so min of Hisoka time this week was amply satisfactory. I've been getting used to his new voice... or perhaps I've orgasmed so many times whenever I see him, be it in the OP, or those 2 or so min during the ep, or DAT ED; so much that I really didn't care about whether his voice fits him or not... <333

Next week is even better, packing even more Hisoka time... Hopefully a "bloody" extra bonus will be added...

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Oct 22, 2011 10:41 PM

Jun 2009
Pretty good episode, Hisoka still has a penchant for stealing the show I see.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 22, 2011 11:27 PM

Jul 2007
Never a dull moment with Hisoka! :)
Oct 23, 2011 12:07 AM

Nov 2007
Mmm, there is one specific thing they seem to be doing that bothers me.
That is, I don't like what they are doing to Leorio.

I haven't read the manga so I don't know what he's like there, but in the old series he was a grounded character with an impulsive, slightly childish nature that hides a complex, rather tortured mind. He comes off as way buffoonish here, and it bothers me. I don't want to find Leorio in this show annoying, but I am starting to.

Gon, Killua, and Kurapika are shown in a good light, and I do like the happier mood, but they have gone the wrong way with Leorio. It bothers me very much that the most human character out of the 4 gets the short end of the stick.

I was looking forward to Leorio especially, due to Fujiwara-san voicing him, but he can't even show off his charismatic acting because they don't give him any chances to do so. You guys are wasting his talent!

Otherwise, decent episode. I saw a lot of animation shortcuts though. Well, better shortcuts in backgrounds than ugly off-models. :S

CookieBunOct 23, 2011 12:19 AM
Oct 23, 2011 12:16 AM
Jul 2011
I don't get why some fans are so disappointed at how different the 2011 anime is to the 1999's one, i mean they do know this new version isn't made by the same people right? or that the 2011 version is obviously supposed to be different.
Personally, i liked the 1999's and was pretty sad they discontinued it but that was then and this is now.I'm really glad someone picked up this project and its being aired, it's just such a wonderful story to tell :)
i'm not trying to tell others what to think or feel, all i'm saying is that ya gotta look at this version with unbiased eyes yeah?! Old is old and new is new.
Plus, i think i think they'll be really missing out on a great series if they just right it off. honestly, I totally love the 2011 version, i find the animation colorful and very up to date and the music catchy (especially the ED ;))
The voices are good, i especially think Gon's and Killua's fit, i mean they are twelve, they should sound high pitched and girly (plus, i think killua's voice actor did a great job making killua's voice sound darker during that where he's drinking the laxative tinged drink in ep 3). I'm rly ecstatic at how close this new version is being to the manga (which i *heart* like woah! ).
I remember reading someone's comment on how they would describe the 2011 version as maliciously playful because every thing appears to be all nice and dandy but take a closer look and ya see all isn't what it appears to be. i think that's a very acurate description of this year's HunterxHunter(i.e. guy's arms being transformed to flowers by Hisoka while everyone just staring , not looking any way chocked or alarmed or even trying to help(including our main characters), laxatives in drinks, etc).
And as for episode four, it did not disappoint! Loved it, pacing was good, saw some Leorio and Kurapika back-story, showed some violence, plus, i got to see more of Gon and Killua, who are just so interesting and gosh darn cute :D
The only downer is that i have to wait a whole other week to see another episode :(
Oct 23, 2011 12:23 AM

Jul 2011
KILLUA IS SO FKING CUTE!! T^T (AND HIS SKATEBOARD SCENE -fangirl squeal!-(o.o))

I'm sorry, I love him so much. :3 (And I really missed him. X3)

Their faces were SO FREAKIN' CUTE when Leorio said he was a teenager. XDDD (Killua= oOo) (Lol, iunno. Just adorable. o.o) Gon and Kurapika too. XD

Only problem I have is Hisoka's voice... It's not creeper enough. o.o (Yes, creeper.)

And yes, Killua and Gon = instant BFFs. XD

I liked that it stuck with the manga more. o.o (recently read it. 8D)

And you all know there are new censorship laws in Japan, yes? o.o
MirorinOct 23, 2011 12:37 AM
Oct 23, 2011 1:30 AM

May 2009
See??

Are you still dissapointed about the character devolpment nostalgiafags?
ShoryuukenOct 23, 2011 1:33 AM
Oct 23, 2011 2:23 AM
Aug 2010
Enjoyed it only thing that bothers me is I dislike Hisoka's voice might just be because I really thought the 1999 version voice really suited him. And Don't really like how Killua looks.
Oct 23, 2011 2:28 AM

Aug 2009
MM-Rosiie said:

And you all know there are new censorship laws in Japan, yes? o.o

no, i don't...gimme some info pls
Oct 23, 2011 2:29 AM

Feb 2010
i love this episode and OMG killua is much MUCH cute in 2011 version
better than the older one...really looks like a child

deadly-lullaby said:
I'm loving the newer art..the story seems to be moving fast and a little bit different compared to the older one but not in a bad way..and killua is as awesome here as in the older one XD...can't wait to see more differences in the coming episodes

THIS .i cant wait too...

Dota 2 Esports Stories are a fuckin Anime IRL Anime Sports

Oct 23, 2011 3:13 AM

Jun 2011
I really love this anime more and more, Killua and Gon.. soo adorable. :3
I'm happy it does follow the manga. Want to watch next episode right away, but need to wait. -__-
The old one is good too, but I prefer manga storyline haha.

Overall this episode is .... Awesome + Adorable. ''Waiting for next week again''
Oct 23, 2011 3:33 AM

Sep 2010
Time flies when watching this.
Oct 23, 2011 3:41 AM
May 2007
oneyardcoastline said:
I didn't think it was possible but it seems like Gon became more innocent than ever. ^-^

Well as much as he cared a little about Leorio, yes.

stevewiess01 said:
Did I just watch a marathon anime? :P

Both opening and ending are based on the marathon, I noticed.
Everyone is running and running to reach a goal.

Shoryuuken said:
See??

Are you still dissapointed about the character devolpment nostalgiafags?

I'm still disappointed.
Oct 23, 2011 3:48 AM

Dec 2010
Dang, they made Killua so adorable in the remake (not that I mind).

Oh and voice actors for Menchi and Gittarackur are revealed:

Hirano ayo will be voicing Menchi
Matsukaze Masaya will be voicing Gittarackur
Oct 23, 2011 4:10 AM
Feb 2010
Great ep but I preferred how the original had more emotion in the character development.

I think Hisoka´s voice is pretty awesome, it´s Kurapika´s I´ve issues with. He sounds really feminine.
Oct 23, 2011 4:51 AM
Oct 2008
I like this series so far. It has that 90's feel to it, the graphics are not great, but the story itself is amusing and fun for adults and children. Every episode is kind of stand-alone, but still makes part of the bigger story.

The voice-acting is good, especially the leading boy, Gon. He is the optimistic boy, but without being too annoying, because he seems to have 'brains' too and thinks about his surroundings.
Oct 23, 2011 5:48 AM

Jul 2009
The violence, the atmosphere of incoming death is absent from this show. Too many kiddie colors and now I know we will never see blood. Another One Piece wannabe to make quick bucks from kids and toys. Dropped. Going back to good old bloody Hunter x Hunter from 1999.

Comparison of Hunter X Hunter, old vs new. Spoilers ahead:

http://www.thatanimeblog.com/index.php/2011/10/hunterxhunter-2011-episodes-1-3-its-4kids/
semtexOct 23, 2011 5:52 AM
Oct 23, 2011 6:06 AM

Aug 2009
semtex said:
The violence, the atmosphere of incoming death is absent from this show. Too many kiddie colors and now I know we will never see blood. Another One Piece wannabe to make quick bucks from kids and toys. Dropped. Going back to good old bloody Hunter x Hunter from 1999.

http://www.thatanimeblog.com/index.php/2011/10/hunterxhunter-2011-episodes-1-3-its-4kids/

We've already seen blood.
Oct 23, 2011 7:37 AM
Feb 2008
And here I thought this would be just another mediocre shounen ... Well, I was completely wrong, this show gets better every week! Can't wait for the next episode ^^
Oct 23, 2011 7:39 AM

Jul 2009
pokymon said:
semtex said:

We've already seen blood.

You mean those magical flowers that tries to look like blood? You really don't believe that do you?
Oct 23, 2011 8:39 AM

Dec 2010
semtex said:
You mean those magical flowers that tries to look like blood? You really don't believe that do you?

There was blood in episode 2, not much though.
Oct 23, 2011 8:42 AM

Aug 2009
No, actually it was on the guy's body that was lying in the house in the 2nd episode. Don't forget that in the 1st anime blood was cut from this scene. Furhtermore, blood was present in this episode, in Leorio's flashback. Other than that, there wasn't actually any blood in the manga, except from the scene when the fake examiner got some deadly injuries. But also, in the 1st anime this scene was censored, so i don't complain about this one. Boy, haste does really make waste, let's wait for the next week's episode before we judge it from this point of view.
pokymonOct 23, 2011 8:50 AM
Oct 23, 2011 8:57 AM

Jul 2009
just curious even tho i watched the original i can hardly say i remember all the details but if Leorio really is a teenager like the rest of them how old is he???
Oct 23, 2011 9:03 AM
Feb 2010
I think it´s best to wait with judgements about censorship until after the third exam.
Oct 23, 2011 9:25 AM

Aug 2009
Inugirlz said:
just curious even tho i watched the original i can hardly say i remember all the details but if Leorio really is a teenager like the rest of them how old is he???

that was sarcasm
Oct 23, 2011 9:39 AM
May 2007
semtex said:

It really worries me that I don't feel thrilled like I felt watching the original or when reading the manga. All I have to say is that we wait till they reach the Trick Tower.

Inugirlz said:

Leorio is 19
Oct 23, 2011 9:40 AM

Jun 2011
Gon and Killua....They steal this show. They're so cute.
Oct 23, 2011 9:49 AM
Nov 2008
CookieBun said:

I haven't read the manga so I don't know what he's like there, but in the old series he was a grounded character with an impulsive, slightly childish nature that hides a complex, rather tortured mind. He comes off as way buffoonish here, and it bothers me. I don't want to find Leorio in this show annoying, but I am starting to.

IMO he is just like this in the original anime. Don't know when you watched it, maybe you remember wrong, or it's something I didn't pick up. Many of his lines are exactly the same. Mannerism same.

On another note Hisoka's voice doesn't bother me as much as THAT FREAKING SPANISH GUITAR THEME WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. I wish they'd scrap the bgm and redo it from scratch. Both this and that waltz piece are terrible. Original Hisoka voice still rocks but this might not be so bad as I thought.
Oct 23, 2011 10:07 AM

Jul 2009
eucalyptustree16 said:

I think Hisoka´s voice is pretty awesome, it´s Kurapika´s I´ve issues with. He sounds really feminine.

Heh rlly? Act like a chick, dress like a chick so y not a chick's voice too? Or maybe that's just me...

pokymon said:
Other than that, there wasn't actually any blood in the manga, except from the scene when the fake examiner got some deadly injuries.

The manga... Please re-read it...

On another note, let's wait til next week to affirm whether it's for kids or not. If no blood thar, deffin'ly no blood til the end ~

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Oct 23, 2011 10:10 AM

Oct 2011
It was a cool episode
Killua is sooo cute!! <3
I think I got used to Gon' voice by now
But I still don't like Hisoka's bgm
Maybe I will get used to it later in the anime
It seems that the next episode will be awesome!!
Can't wait for next week!!
Oct 23, 2011 10:22 AM

May 2008
I don't know why are people disappointed because of the character development. This was only the 4th episode :/

I loved this ep a lot. I remember there was one more conflict in the tunnel in the first series. Anyway, I'm glad they got over on this phase so fast. I want to see Menchi already!!
Oct 23, 2011 10:54 AM

Aug 2006
This turned out to be the best episode thus far and i'm loving Leorio at the moment. The way they depicted his desire to become a hunter in order to be a doctor was way better executed than in the original. It was nice to see his younger-self. Killua is also different here than before, but i'm not sure yet if i like him better now.

Beautiful Episode and so deserve a 5/5.
Oct 23, 2011 12:02 PM

Aug 2011
tohru7 said:
I don't get why some fans are so disappointed at how different the 2011 anime is to the 1999's one, i mean they do know this new version isn't made by the same people right? or that the 2011 version is obviously supposed to be different.
Personally, i liked the 1999's and was pretty sad they discontinued it but that was then and this is now.I'm really glad someone picked up this project and its being aired, it's just such a wonderful story to tell :)
i'm not trying to tell others what to think or feel, all i'm saying is that ya gotta look at this version with unbiased eyes yeah?! Old is old and new is new.
Plus, i think i think they'll be really missing out on a great series if they just right it off. honestly, I totally love the 2011 version, i find the animation colorful and very up to date and the music catchy (especially the ED ;))
The voices are good, i especially think Gon's and Killua's fit, i mean they are twelve, they should sound high pitched and girly (plus, i think killua's voice actor did a great job making killua's voice sound darker during that where he's drinking the laxative tinged drink in ep 3). I'm rly ecstatic at how close this new version is being to the manga (which i *heart* like woah! ).
I remember reading someone's comment on how they would describe the 2011 version as maliciously playful because every thing appears to be all nice and dandy but take a closer look and ya see all isn't what it appears to be. i think that's a very acurate description of this year's HunterxHunter(i.e. guy's arms being transformed to flowers by Hisoka while everyone just staring , not looking any way chocked or alarmed or even trying to help(including our main characters), laxatives in drinks, etc).
And as for episode four, it did not disappoint! Loved it, pacing was good, saw some Leorio and Kurapika back-story, showed some violence, plus, i got to see more of Gon and Killua, who are just so interesting and gosh darn cute :D
The only downer is that i have to wait a whole other week to see another episode :(

yeah, totally agree!! XD
anyways,
nice episode, damn it, leorio is one funny guy, but his back story was really sad :/
the preview looked EPIC AS HELL!!! >_
Oct 23, 2011 1:01 PM

Jun 2011
I've completely adjusted to the new voice cast of the main characters. As I suspected, Killua also sounds very close to the original. I will most likely always consider the old Hisoka superior to the new Hisoka, in terms of voice acting... but the new voice isn't terrible. It just lacks the unique quality of the original.

As someone already very familiar with the manga and original anime, there is not much to comment on, plot-wise. I'm very happy that Killua is now part of the regular cast, because Killua and his relationship with Gon is one of my favorite aspects of the show. I also have to admit that I prefer the way the original handled the backstories of Kurapika and Leorio. This anime series is clearly a more faithful adaptation of the manga, but I felt like the conversation between Kurapika and Leorio was forced.

And omg, I still hate Hisoka's theme music. ;-;

But overall, I was pleased with this episode. Probably because of the Gon and Killua interaction. They're so adorable. :D

I would rate this episode an 8/10. I'm overlooking the terrible soundtrack, because unfortunately we're stuck with it.
Oct 23, 2011 1:07 PM

Jun 2011
pokymon said:
Inugirlz said:

that was sarcasm

Leorio is 19

Oct 23, 2011 1:08 PM

Apr 2011
Gon and Killua are officially super bffs.
Another great episode and I can't wait to see what happens in the swamps.
Oct 23, 2011 1:19 PM
Dec 2007
Natsukashiiiiii ! The episode Kirua befriends Gon and we get the first revelations about the heroes' goal is awesome. However, as the four will see in the next ep, dealing with Hisoka is extremely risky business.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Oct 23, 2011 2:12 PM
Oct 2011
to everyone who says this is kiddy:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=3821716&postcount=338

look above and you will see that the manga is not as "mature" and totally non-kiddy as you make it out to be. it was the old anime that had that somber and mature tone from the beginning (and which it made it so damn good). maybe the 2011 version is a bit more lighthearted and colorful than the manga, but the difference is not worlds apart. in this part of the exam, the manga had still lots of comic moments and gon and killua are still clearly having fun.

seriously, take the nostalgiagoggles off and at least give this remake a fair chance.
Oct 23, 2011 2:52 PM

Feb 2011
Nothing to rant for this episode. So far the storyline still faithful to Manga. Even though I still don't fit with Hisoka's voice, but somehow Killua's voice is getting better for me.

Liked it! and definitely will wait for next episode.

a little intermezzo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-DMOgH5RkI
"To some, online is more important than seeing friends, eating and even breathing."

<!--link--><a href="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/kuruta_tribe&sclick=1">

Oct 23, 2011 4:30 PM

Nov 2007
Aw man, I think I am loving each ep more and more.
I wish they would come out faster XD

haha.. and aww.. poor Leorio.. seems so much older..
Oct 23, 2011 5:54 PM

Nov 2007
Malestel said:
CookieBun said:

IMO he is just like this in the original anime. Don't know when you watched it, maybe you remember wrong, or it's something I didn't pick up. Many of his lines are exactly the same. Mannerism same.

I watched the old one not too long ago. Oh yea, the lines are the same, but the execution is very different. There is a big difference in the expression and tone for the same lines. He is played up as a comic relief too much in this series.
Oct 23, 2011 6:37 PM
Jun 2008
eucalyptustree16 said:
I think it´s best to wait with judgements about censorship until after the third exam.

I have to honestly agree with you on this. I've looked at the Manga up to this point, and the adaptation that is guilty of censorship is the original, not the new adaptation. I haven't seen anything that is in the Manga, that isn't in the new adaptation. And no, the butterflies last episode don't count. Sure, they were added into the scene, but they were more of to help explain what was going on there.

CookieBun said:
Malestel said:
CookieBun said:

I watched the old one not too long ago. Oh yea, the lines are the same, but the execution is very different. There is a big difference in the expression and tone for the same lines. He is played up as a comic relief too much in this series.

The best way to put it is, in the actual Manga, Leorio has so far come across as being meant as the comic relief character. A lot of what is seen of Leorio in the original adaptation is actually filler, not stuff that actually happens in the Manga. There are honestly some things that have bothered me about his characterization from the filler parts of the original.
Oct 23, 2011 8:25 PM

Nov 2007
Yemi_Hikari said:

The best way to put it is, in the actual Manga, Leorio has so far come across as being meant as the comic relief character. A lot of what is seen of Leorio in the original adaptation is actually filler, not stuff that actually happens in the Manga. There are honestly some things that have bothered me about his characterization from the filler parts of the original.

Ah I see. Well, I'm starting to really appreciate just how good of a show the first one was. Expanding and exploring things that the manga just breezes through...

I will try not to let Leorio's obnoxiousness bother me as much and just enjoy it. But in the end, I think I will prefer the first anime's vision more, whether it's less truer to the manga or not.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 111 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2014

517 by Nerdason »»
Yesterday, 4:15 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 110 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2013

170 by Nerdason »»
Yesterday, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 109 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2013

175 by Nerdason »»
Yesterday, 2:56 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AngelicFeces - Mar 10, 2012

97 by _Abdullah_ »»
Jun 5, 1:25 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 108 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 10, 2013

292 by Nerdason »»
Jun 5, 4:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.