Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 25, 2023 9:34 AM
May 2023
I decided to try and break myself, I thought it would take some time but boy was I wrong. Clannad did it right away. I finished Clannad and After Story in 4 days, and boy have I been broken, never before have I cried so much for an anime.
I tried watching some other anime after but I can't seem to get into anything, Clannad showed me a new peak I've never seen before.
My question now is, what do I watch next that will make me cry/break me? I watched Angel beats but it didn't make me cry, not even close. Elfen lied made me emotional. Your lie in April made me cry a bit, and so did Your name. I've started watching Kanon , but I'm afraid of it not meeting up to the standards Clannad set for me. What always breaks me is family stuff like in After Story, if done right. After Story was basically my dream anime, I always looked for anime like that, I'm surprised I haven't seen it earlier.
Does anyone know what to watch next? Is there anything that can compare to Clannad?
sunprincess01Jul 25, 2023 9:47 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 25, 2023 9:44 AM
Oct 2022
sunprincess01 said:
During my winter holidays I decided to try and break myself, I thought it would take some time but boy was I wrong. Clannad did it right away. I finished Clannad and After Story in 4 days, and boy have I been broken, never before have I cried so much for an anime.
I tried watching some other anime after but I can't seem to get into anything, Clannad showed me a new peak I've never seen before.
My question now is, what do I watch next that will make me cry/break me? I watched Angel beats but it didn't make me cry, not even close. Elfen lied made me emotional. Your lie in April made me cry a bit, and so did Your name. I've started watching Kanon , but I'm afraid of it not meeting up to the standards Clannad set for me. What always breaks me is family stuff like in After Story, if done right. After Story was basically my dream anime, I always looked for anime like that, I'm surprised I haven't seen it earlier.
Does anyone know what to watch next? Is there anything that can compare to Clannad?

try: Anohana, I will eat your pancreas, Nana, A Silent Voice, Charlotte, 86, Orange
That's all the animes that broke me, but never on the same level. Try them, but don't get your hopes up
Pake54Jul 25, 2023 9:53 AM
Jul 25, 2023 9:46 AM
Jun 2022
Violet Evergarden is up there with Clannad for me! :)
Jul 25, 2023 9:47 AM
Aug 2021
Welcome and I am sorry.

As for recommendations, Violet Evergarden and the movie A Silent Voice have a similar effect on me
Jul 25, 2023 9:48 AM

May 2021
sunprincess01 said:
I decided to try and break myself, I thought it would take some time but boy was I wrong. Clannad did it right away. I finished Clannad and After Story in 4 days, and boy have I been broken, never before have I cried so much for an anime.

Violet Evergarden from the same studio has an impactful story and a titular main character which I think many of us can relate to! so I recommend that!
Jul 25, 2023 9:59 AM
Jan 2022
sunprincess01 said:

i'll just say "i want to eat your pancreas"
Jul 25, 2023 10:21 AM
Oct 2021
sunprincess01 said:

go for family stories
right in the issues
watch maquia, wolf children, grave of the fireflies
those will destroy you
Jul 25, 2023 10:32 AM

Feb 2016
sunprincess01 said:
I've started watching Kanon , but I'm afraid of it not meeting up to the standards Clannad set for me.
Kanon is basically Clannad without After Story.
Air is worse than Clannad overall, but I think it does the family stuff better.

But my favorite family story in anime is Astro Boy, no joke. Watch it subbed.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/971/Astro_Boy__Tetsuwan_Atom
その目だれの目?
Jul 25, 2023 10:35 AM
Feb 2022
sunprincess01 said:

nope, nothing can compare or come close to it unfortunately but trying to find something that does has kept me watching anime to get the same feelings I got from watching anime when I first started but very rarely do I find something that can match that energy, it's still sad that there aren't more romance animes like clannad, tonikaku kawaii and horimiya that have happy endings and just show good romance without wondering for a few years on will they won't they
Jul 25, 2023 10:36 AM
Nov 2019
Nothing will ever top Clannad imo but here are some suggestions:
A Silent Voice
I want to eat your pancreas
Fruits Basket
Violet Evergarden
Your lie in April
Jul 25, 2023 10:41 AM
Aug 2022
Plastic memories had me crying. It’s a short romance with about 10-13 episodes I can’t remember the exact number. So you could watch it in a night
Jul 25, 2023 10:46 AM
Apr 2022
If you want a similar experience, I recommand Fruits Basket. It’s also a long anime serie, with a slow beginning and a lot of characters with tragic stories !
Jul 25, 2023 10:56 AM

Oct 2020
yea,
This IS the best Romance Tragedy anime overall.......... but If You want another Good Time,,😛......I mean good in terms of yk shedding tears........then U should try "A MOMENT TO REMEMBER" ....... it's a Korean Movie, I don't like Korean Entertainment stuff much, but this is actually Classic and Good.........Old Korean movies were such gems, nowadays K-drama web series , especially romance are 💀

trust me this is a piece of Gem
Anayan_KashyapJul 25, 2023 11:08 AM
Please watch Sword Art Online Progressive, it's the peak of SAO.
Jul 25, 2023 11:00 AM

Jan 2015
sunprincess01 said:

I remembered crying so hard while watching Clannad After Story. I've been thinking of rewatching it but am afraid of re-experiencing the emotions.

sunprincess01 said:

These ones had one or more moments that made me cry as much as Clannad After Story:
- Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 (watch season 1 first)
- Granbelm
- No Game No Life: Zero (recommended to watch the TV series first)
- Sora yori mo Tooi Basho

These ones had one or more moments that made me cry a bit:
- Boku dake ga Inai Machi
- Darling in the FranXX
- Made in Abyss
- Mob Psycho II (watch season 1 first)
- Shirobako
- Sayonara no Asa ni Yakusoku no Hana wo Kazarou
- Violet Evergarden

These ones didn't make me cry, but had moments that made me feel intensely:
- Aria the Origination (in Origination/S3, the link is for Animation/S1, watch Animation+Natural first)
- Byousoku 5 Centimeter
- Haikyuu!!
- Kimi no Na wa.
- Koe no Katachi
- Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (if you like it, watch the movie 3/Rebellion too)
- Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai (anime+movie)
- Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
- Steins;Gate 0 (watch S1 and episode 0 of SG0 first)
XavionJul 25, 2023 11:09 AM

• reminder to do something today that will make your life better •
• true failure is when you stop trying •

Jul 25, 2023 11:07 AM

Oct 2020
IF You cannot watch movies, then you should Watch "VIOLET EVERGARDEN"...... it's an Emotional Rollercoaster and it is actually unlike many other shows that pretend to be one........

If you're a Newbie and You've already experienced CLANNAD then it's unlikely that you'll cry as much as u shed tears back then........but here's a few:-

•ANGEL BEATS, a classic and entrance to many
watchers, the ending and Backstories are heartbreaking.
✯ 5 CENTIMETRES PER SECOND (you may not understand if u r young, but as u grow you'll relate that everything this movie shows is more or less taken from ur life)
✯Wolf Children (Mother's Struggle)
•Plastic Memories.
•SAO-Mother's Rosario.
•I want to eat your Pancreas.
•Fruits Basket.
•NANA (if u r mature, then go for it, it is disturbing, lovely and sad)
•Wonder Egg Priority (more disturbing than sad, explore girl's prblms)
Please watch Sword Art Online Progressive, it's the peak of SAO.
Jul 25, 2023 11:53 AM
Feb 2021
Nothing can ever touch Clannad for deep feels in my view.
But Puella Magi Madoka Magica does come close.
Spice and Wolf, either season, haunted me for a while though it's not Clannad level.
Violet evergarden, yeah, but you gotta watch the movies as well.
And Gosick does some damage but mainly in the later episodes.
Jul 25, 2023 11:54 AM
Mar 2017
sunprincess01 said:

This was me watching Clannad back when I was 14 lol, still the only anime to make me fully cry
Jul 25, 2023 12:00 PM

Jun 2021
for me there's no other animes gonna be on par with Clannad. You will need some time probably months for you to cry watching other series.

You also might be unable to feels the same sadness if you rewatch this series
Jul 25, 2023 12:05 PM
Apr 2014
If the simple art style doesn't bother you, I highly recommend Ranking of Kings. The main character has some family troubles although that isn't the main focus. The anime definitely made me cry especially in the beginning and the last episode. There is also a second season, Ranking of Kings: The Treasure Chest of Courage, but it's more like a side story. Only the last episode is a continuation of the final episode in season one. But I would still recommend it because it shows reoccurring side characters POV and more of their back stories. BTW, Bojji is my 🤴!
Jul 25, 2023 12:19 PM
Sep 2021
I didn't think Clannad was all that great honestly and I never shed a tear while watching it. Unpopular opinion probably, but I'm entitled to my own tastes. However, the one anime I did cry at was Plastic Memories. It was the only anime ever so far that has had me in tears by its end so I'd recommend that one if you've never seen it. Was truly a sweet tragic tale that I found to be way better and more emotional than Clannad ever was for me.
Jul 25, 2023 12:38 PM
Jun 2022
clannad was the one that broke me the most.
Jul 25, 2023 12:43 PM
Aug 2021
Anohana, Your Lie in April, Your Name, Violet Evergarden Episode 10.
Jul 25, 2023 12:49 PM
Aug 2021
AvidZKTJo said:
I didn't think Clannad was all that great honestly and I never shed a tear while watching it. Unpopular opinion probably, but I'm entitled to my own tastes. However, the one anime I did cry at was Plastic Memories. It was the only anime ever so far that has had me in tears by its end so I'd recommend that one if you've never seen it. Was truly a sweet tragic tale that I found to be way better and more emotional than Clannad ever was for me.

Same. Season 1 was good but then the second season was a comple drag and completely decides to just say screw it and throws out the entire moral of the story.
Jul 25, 2023 1:30 PM

May 2020
there isn't anything as good as clannad as
but there are other anime with the same feel (sad romance animes made in the 2000s)
those would be air and kannon

if u loved clannad ud love these aswell but clannad is the peak nothing else comes close

Jul 25, 2023 2:24 PM
Jan 2021
shit man I guess try re:zero
Jul 25, 2023 2:38 PM
May 2013
sunprincess01 said:

Some shows I recommend that also had huge emotional impacts on me are:

A Silent Voice
Violet Evergarden
Rascall Does Not Dream Of Bunny Girl Senpai
AnoHana
Plastic Memories
Charlotte
5 Centimeters Per Second
Garden Of Words

Just to name a few that might be something you're looking for.
Jul 25, 2023 5:26 PM
May 2022
Pake54 said:
sunprincess01 said:
During my winter holidays I decided to try and break myself, I thought it would take some time but boy was I wrong. Clannad did it right away. I finished Clannad and After Story in 4 days, and boy have I been broken, never before have I cried so much for an anime.

try: Anohana, I will eat your pancreas, Nana, A Silent Voice, Charlotte, 86, Orange
That's all the animes that broke me, but never on the same level. Try them, but don't get your hopes up

Kinda disagree with Anohana, Charlotte and Orange.
They are like trying to make me emotional but not enough depth in the characters.
My mal account is not working properly. In the last 24 hours, there isn't showing any forum discussion.  What should I do?! 
Jul 25, 2023 7:38 PM
Dec 2021
If you love Clannad, Kanon is the right for you
Jul 25, 2023 8:15 PM
Jul 2021
Underrated anime I guess since I haven’t seen no one mention but “ride your wave” is a good movie, along side Josee the tiger and the fish as well. Ima just recommend some underrated romance anime that might don’t live up to clannad sorry but are still amazing imo. “I’ve always liked you” along with its other movie and series to end it, and “ a day before us which is a cute Korean anime that’s pretty short. Edit: checked your list to see u haven’t watched 86, just finished it and it was amazing and I did tear up a couple times so check that one out the most.
Jul 25, 2023 8:42 PM

Sep 2014
If you want an internal, slow burn hate everything type of sadness and hurt, watch Nana. Better yet, read the manga if you're into that. It might not make you cry but it will hurt you deep in your soul. I just finished a rewatch of it and years later, it still breaks me.
Jul 25, 2023 11:07 PM
Jul 2022
Man it's good to see people still watching Clannad and loving it. Clannad is also the first Anime that actually made me cry and I'll never forget it. I'm glad you like it too. As for the recommendations, people have given many to you. So just choose one of them and give them a try.
Jul 26, 2023 12:02 AM
Oct 2022
adesh17 said:
Pake54 said:

Kinda disagree with Anohana, Charlotte and Orange.
They are like trying to make me emotional but not enough depth in the characters.

okay I understand. the ending of all 3 is what broke me
Jul 26, 2023 12:39 AM
May 2023
Try Patema inverted (movie)
Jul 26, 2023 12:41 AM
Mar 2022
if you need to wean yourself off clannad, watch kanon 2006 (the 24 episode one by kyoto animarion, and then air. both are written by Jun Maeda who also made Clannad. that helped me alot after my first watch
Jul 26, 2023 12:59 AM
Dec 2022
Welcome to the “I had my heartbroken because of clannad” club 🥲
Jul 26, 2023 3:29 AM
Dec 2017
sad and devastating but beautiful anime I can recommend:

series:
- banana fish
- violet evergarden
- anahona
- nana
- erased

movies:
- grave of the fireflies
- a silent voice
- I want to eat your Pancras
- 5 centimeters per second
- garden of words
Jul 26, 2023 6:21 AM
Jun 2023
My heart got broken, but somehow it got relieve on final episode🙃
Jul 26, 2023 10:46 AM
Aug 2019
Can't recommend AnoHana enough tbh.

While it's not necessarily a tear jerker, Nagi no Asukara is another anime I'd recommend. Family issues are present as well though the main thing is the wonderful friendship drama, can't recommend it enough.

Unpopular opinion btw but Clannad also didn’t make me cry, I love it more for the comedy and romance, ironically.
Jul 26, 2023 12:35 PM
Dec 2021
sunprincess01 said:

Wlcm to the club this anime made me cry straight for 30 mins after that I stopped watching emotional anime... I haven't even completed your lie in April it's on hold at 12 ep.
Jul 26, 2023 12:36 PM
Dec 2021
Pake54 said:
sunprincess01 said:

Try To ur eternity.
Jul 26, 2023 3:16 PM
Jul 2016
I guess those were good animes and new ones are not complete yet or are in the stage of formation. They need some years for people to realize that they are getting better or have same energy.
The older animes are great cos they have their stories fleshed out and finished. The new ones are in formative years and come in chunks so u really can't get high energy everytime or constantly.
Jul 26, 2023 5:03 PM
Jul 2022
sunprincess01 said:

nothing can match the standards of Clannad after story. The only thing that can get close is "I want to eat your pancreas"
But here's a hidden gem for you, try watching "To your eternity" and come back after watching 5 eps to share your thoughts
Jul 27, 2023 12:40 AM
Nov 2021
sunprincess01 said:

I had the opposite reaction, I was not broken yet but I was going through some major bad times and Clannad helped me heal and start over with a new perspective and mindset. I really owe it that I was able to move on
Jul 27, 2023 1:15 AM
Apr 2021
Welcome to can't find anything like (clannad) club
Jul 27, 2023 4:50 AM
Aug 2021
It's hard to triumph the emotional rolercoaster that is Clannad, but I'll try.

A Silent Voice: Movie made by the same studio and the director worked allot on Clannad Afterstory.

Nana: I know it's a shoujo, but damn the emotional swings in that show are brutal and it broke me multiple times.

Violet Evergarden: A bit slower drama, but when it hits, it hits hard.

Monogatari/Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai: Now if you are a fan of the classic teenage boy solving girls problems but can have big emotional beats (just not as big as Clannad).

Re:Zero: Most of the voice actors in Clannad are in this. Season 2 it's where its start showing its more emotional side.

The problem with Clannad it's that it takes a huge risk in being a Harem anime that turns into a almost life drama anime with supernatural elements. So usually you have to find really bad shows that are similar to it and not worth your time if you want the same thing.
Jul 27, 2023 4:42 PM
Jan 2013
Clannad was one of the first few animes I watched, (shortly after air TV) and it absolutely destroyed me too.
Jul 28, 2023 3:05 PM
Aug 2020
Sokkkau said:
Clannad is vastly overrated

Nope (20 characters)
Jul 28, 2023 3:07 PM
Aug 2020
Try Kanon, Air and AnoHana, (heavy sadness) also Charlotte, Angel Beats, Violet Evergaden and Bunny Girl (light sadness)
Jul 28, 2023 8:03 PM

Aug 2020
sunprincess01 said:

Hmmm idk if this is a weird comparison/ recommendation but I think u should try usagi drop. It’s very wholesome I think I genuinely cried but not bc I was sad but it was bc I was happy, not gonna spoil anything but it’s a bit like clannad after story except that the guy is single and adopts the girl. Also non non byori season 3 made me cry out of happiness, I don’t really think there’s anything that’s as sad as clannad. Try playing the visual novel. There’s more content in there than the anime, also it’s a bit more sad in the visual novel because there’s more dialogue and we can understand the way how characters feel when they’re sad. There’s also another character that was removed from the game (kappei) and his route was one of my favorite routes.
filthyfrank8142Jul 28, 2023 8:11 PM
Jul 29, 2023 5:40 AM
Apr 2021
it was going to break me but after the ending it just felt meh
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

patient_senses - Mar 12, 2009

1171 by jilebi_james23 »»
May 20, 8:57 AM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Jello - Mar 8, 2009

285 by jilebi_james23 »»
May 20, 8:20 AM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KY791 - Mar 11, 2009

135 by jilebi_james23 »»
May 20, 7:45 AM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

quentinlau - Feb 19, 2009

177 by jilebi_james23 »»
May 20, 7:17 AM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

id - Feb 12, 2009

728 by jilebi_james23 »»
May 20, 6:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.