Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 25, 2021 5:28 AM

Nov 2011
Well now that Will became a paladin, it also meant more responsibility riding on his shoulders.

From his first assignment, it shows the cruelty of their world. Will was lucky to made it out of that mess alive. Scary episode tbh.

Season 2 got announced

https://twitter.com/faraway_paladin/status/1474734173571018752
Stark700Dec 25, 2021 5:44 AM
Dec 25, 2021 6:06 AM
Feb 2021
This can be considered as the turning point episode. After long mostly successful journey, Will has to accept the fact that he himself has a fatal weakness and that almost causes his friend died. The internal conflict in Will's mind reminds me of Mushoku Tensei which both Rudeus and Will really hate to be alone. This episode should underline the entire series that The Faraway Paladin is indeed not a generic isekai but unfortunately not much people talk about it and it's also a bit underrated
Dec 25, 2021 6:24 AM
Mar 2021
Stark700 said:
Well now that Will became a paladin, it also meant more responsibility riding on his shoulders.

From his first assignment, it shows the cruelty of their world. Will was lucky to made it out of that mess alive. Scary episode tbh.

Season 2 got announced

I'm assuming S2 was already planned before the Anime aired, because I don't know how anyone who read the LN's can think this is a good adaption.
Dec 25, 2021 6:29 AM
Feb 2021
kriissyy12 said:
Stark700 said:

Season 2 got announced

I'm assuming S2 was already planned before the Anime aired, because I don't know how anyone who read the LN's can think this is a good adaption.
Do you this anime adaptation is really bad?
Dec 25, 2021 6:42 AM

Mar 2013
This is a very sad episode. It is a self-reflection of Will's. While I didn't realize that what he has been doing so far was like that, this episode made me realize that fact but still the animation sucks. lol

Despite all of those sickening animation, I very much enjoyed the story especially Will's character.

Wait, season 2?! lmao I can't wait!

P.S. They should probably fix the damn animation first before even trying to get another season. LOL
CrazyButNot4UDec 25, 2021 6:46 AM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Dec 25, 2021 7:04 AM
Jul 2018
Self-realization is a thing that everybody needs to understand and have.
Dec 25, 2021 7:05 AM
Mar 2021
CuriouSniff said:
kriissyy12 said:

Decent Anime, poor adaptation in my opinion.
Dec 25, 2021 7:17 AM
Sep 2015
This episode should work better if it has less Will's inner voice. It's hard to adapt a light novel, if it excludes some content, fan from light novel will shout immediately that the anime adaptation is "incomplete".
Dec 25, 2021 7:37 AM

Jul 2017
This is the kind of episode where I feel like with a better staff, director and production in particular, this would have been a really good one. It's an okay episode but the execution and use of inner dialogue was really off for me though to make this a more weightier episode for some reason. It was good to give Will some form of characterization though like in this episode at least.
Dec 25, 2021 7:43 AM

Dec 2019
Good ep focusing on Will in a difficult assignment there that nearly cost his friend's life in the process, and good vibes with the s2 announcement too. It is cool seeing both MT and even this series have self-realization aspects in their respective shows, you can tell Faraway Paladin wears its inspirations on its sleeves and respects it while making it work in a fresh way for its storyline. Will can grow from this experience for the long run.
Dec 25, 2021 8:35 AM

Jul 2021
They faced a very difficult enemy for the first time and even with so many skilled people, many suffered serious injuries. Will felt guilty about Meneldor's situation and we'll see what he does in the next episode.
asdasdsadad
Dec 25, 2021 8:38 AM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
I don't know if anyone else agrees on this but throughout the series I couldn't really empathize with Will's character. It felt bland in certain occassions, overly dramatic in others and in this instance in particular the inner dialogue didn't come off completely genuine in my eyes, more broken than anything else. I dunno, maybe it's the fact that I focused too much on static frames while watching that the dialogue didn't stand out but from what I've heard from people who've read the source material, the delivery could certainly be better.

One more and... oh, season 2 got announced. I'll keep my expectations in check considering that this one wasn't that great.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Dec 25, 2021 8:51 AM

Jul 2017
Will's role as The Faraway Paladin has officially begun, and it does not take long for all the gathered to live such a death wish of a life.

The demons in the Beast Woods aren't letting up though, and Will, Menel, Reystov, and the others go searching for Pip and their adventurer party. Surprising that Menel would actually make up with Will about his actions to him from the day they met in the exact same place.

But with accordance to the valley's trap, it was a harrowing scene even if they fought the good fight against the demon beasts and the chimera boss. All that Will had learnt before, it was nothing but an insult to his self-realization and injuries of almost getting Menel killed in the process in the Valley of Despair.

The self-realization of Will takes even more beating from the others talking behind his back, labelling him as a monster, and the fact that his reliance on the faith and others put a detriment to his thinking, not to mention the teachings of Mary, Blood and Gus that had been so warped.

Season 2 announced just awhile ago, but please fix the production side of things before releasing it, thanks.

animejas said:
This is the kind of episode where I feel like with a better staff, director and production in particular, this would have been a really good one. It's an okay episode but the execution and use of inner dialogue was really off for me though to make this a more weightier episode for some reason. It was good to give Will some form of characterization though like in this episode at least.
I feel the same way too.
Dec 25, 2021 9:01 AM

Mar 2016
This was just one hell of a cringe episode IMHO. It felt like one big convenient setup for Will to suffer more mentally. A better director and studio would've made it more impactful at least, but instead we got a very clumsy presentation, especially on the visuals side. Actually screw this adaptation, though it's not like I'm fond of the source material at this point in time, no disrespect to the author who is otherwise one of the nicest people to interact with on Twitter. I think this show is facing a case of "writer's block" after volume 1, which by itself wasn't that amazing to begin with, but a very decent start at least.
Dec 25, 2021 9:22 AM

Jan 2018
Things got dark real quick in the valley.
This event really affected Will... I wonder where this will go in the final episode. It was strange that Gracefeel summoned Will but didn't say anything. I was thinking she'd say Will is wrong judging by her expression.
Dec 25, 2021 9:33 AM

Jul 2015
Yea.. Will ​really is the most dramatic MC I have ever seen.. or maybe this adaptation is extremely poor in conveying the feelings..

Either way.. i doubt that the anime was popular or good enough to actually get a season 2..
as someone said above, they 100% guaranteed planned for an s2 right from the start..

otherwise this anime is waaay to mediocre in pacing and story telling to actually deserve a s2..

also.. the 2nd half of the episode is nothing but Will monologuing lmao
Dec 25, 2021 9:47 AM

Mar 2010
Hmm this was kinda Wills first battle without help from his parents.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Dec 25, 2021 9:50 AM

Jun 2019
At this point, I'm pretty sure Menel has a crush on Will. LOL But, everything went downhill in this episode. Menel got badly injured and Will started to blame himself for that and now he's depressed. I hope he gets over it soon.

Season 2 also got announced.
Dec 25, 2021 9:58 AM
Jul 2021
UkRs said:
Yea.. Will ​really is the most dramatic MC I have ever seen.. or maybe this adaptation is extremely poor in conveying the feelings..

Either way.. i doubt that the anime was popular or good enough to actually get a season 2..
as someone said above, they 100% guaranteed planned for an s2 right from the start..

otherwise this anime is waaay to mediocre in pacing and story telling to actually deserve a s2..

I think it got confirmed for a S2 didn't it? And yeah seriously, he really annoyed me dropping his weapon in battle, whining, and then even hesitating to heal your dying friend because of "feelings".. After watching stuff like Re:Zero and Mushoku Tensei I've really started to appreciate and love flawed Protagonists but this just seemed whiney and lame, and DEF at the wrong time to be doing that.
Dec 25, 2021 10:30 AM

Aug 2008
Wait, wait, was this partially a filler episode? I'm pretty sure in the manga he left the demon blade in the city of the dead knowing how dangerous would be relying on it.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Dec 25, 2021 10:45 AM

Aug 2012
they cut a huge chunk of the story. in reality Menel was much worse after the fight and his situation was not really stable. And Robina actually instead of being supporting gave him a mouthfull making him fell like shit. But I guess they chose this to shorten the story by about 3 episodes I am guessing
DKDiabloLicht said:
UkRs said:

I think it got confirmed for a S2 didn't it? And yeah seriously, he really annoyed me dropping his weapon in battle, whining, and then even hesitating to heal your dying friend because of "feelings".. After watching stuff like Re:Zero and Mushoku Tensei I've really started to appreciate and love flawed Protagonists but this just seemed whiney and lame, and DEF at the wrong time to be doing that.

I was not about feelings. The demonic sword consumes your mental balance so to speak. Also at the point he started using it he already was running on empty on MP. Unlike garbage like SAO even characters with huge amount of HP/MP can run out when overwhelmed. That is why I think in D&D Scourge Aasimar is extremely good against weak but huge mobs. I still remember the game will rock. The most damage were making small rats. Small extremely fast and a lot of them. They just exploded when they got near you with 1 damage. No matter how much of a powerhouse you are unless you have AOE moves you can easilly be overwhelmed by mobs even if they are very weak
Antanaru said:
Wait, wait, was this partially a filler episode? I'm pretty sure in the manga he left the demon blade in the city of the dead knowing how dangerous would be relying on it.

No this is a bit rushed but is the episode where they first fight the mobs. The next one will be fight against the chimera and BBEG. Hope they do not cut from it as well. I prefer cutting from the intro and outro instead of from the story, but I guess the studio thought simplifying the story would be better
nightcrawlercypDec 25, 2021 10:55 AM
Dec 25, 2021 10:50 AM
Jul 2016
I do not like this ep.
Dec 25, 2021 12:17 PM
May 2016
That was dumb, why would the chimera flee, it had the advantage and just took out their 2nd strongest fighter?
Dec 25, 2021 12:20 PM
Jul 2010
I have always disliked Will's voice. It's incredibly annoying. But this episode nearly put me over the edge. I really want to drop this show now. I can't believe they made the main character so annoying. Not only is his voice terrible, particularly when he's monologuing to himself, but his melodramatic self-pity amplifies its cringe to unbearable levels.

There's only one episode left, so I will finish it, but I am seriously disappointed that this show isn't over yet and that I'm going to have live through another episode of cringe.

This is my first forum post on MAL btw. I really wanted everyone to know how bad this episode is.
spfyDec 25, 2021 12:26 PM
Dec 25, 2021 12:45 PM

Aug 2010
Oh things went south for Will. Not too bad of an episode from the story perspective, but the direction really should change up especially with Will's inner monologues..
Dec 25, 2021 1:44 PM

Feb 2015
Will isnt the easiest character to root for, his motivation seems rather flimsy and I'm not sure what the overall goal of the series is even after 11 episodes. The slow pace and clunky animation hasn't helped. I'll probably watch season 2 but I hope it picks up. Alot
Dec 25, 2021 4:25 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Yeah, literally like the title said, that's a freakin valley of despair. Its obviously an ambush and they straight went to the trap actually not so convincing to see. As expected Menel become a victim and almost died as the outcome. Despite having an easy come to the surrounding villages and places, when facing the trouble in front, Will couldn't thinking wise enough and decided to run away from the problem. That's not good at all, and i feel bad for a little Bee that might felt bamboozled at those situation. Hopefully the final will have Menel do something, or even Mr. Penetrator, to return Will to his usual sense, as a Faraway Paladin.

Despite the ass combat and action animation part, the story and character are actually decent enough. So congrats for the second season announcement, i am fine with it...
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Dec 25, 2021 11:15 PM

May 2020
Well can't blame Will getting somewhat depressed over Menel's condition, and now looks like he's off to somewhere alone. Have to see how Menel will confront him later on.

With this, now just one more to go.
Dec 26, 2021 4:38 AM

Jan 2015
Will and his voice on top of that, is fucking annoying. And fuck the endless monologues.
Dec 26, 2021 6:05 AM

Dec 2020
sorry i know that this is a serious sad episode but will just screaming out of nowhere cracked the shit out of me. well it wasn't really Out Of Nowhere since he was seen frustrated but it just surprised me

will's realization and internal monologue after he rested was pretty nice, it definitely could've been a lot better but Eh ill take it

after credits menel with his hair down.. Hello
Dec 26, 2021 6:06 AM

Jul 2014
Way too much internal monologue this episode, feels like pretty much the absolute laziest way to adapt content from a light novel. Show, don't tell is a thing you know. Also, it feels like Will jumps into edgy despair way too quickly, after literally the first setback he's suffered on his journey so far.

This episode does a decent job of summing up this show as a whole: some good ideas in places, but so often let down by lacklustre production values and overly-fast pacing. Clear potential here for this to be so much better than it actually is.

Yeah, that was a disastrous episode. I'm sure it won't be, but I desperately hope the second season has a new studio because this studio doesn't seem to have any sort of budget at all, nor did they give this show a competent director.
Dec 26, 2021 10:28 AM

Oct 2016
Not sure what's wrong with the studio. This is way too rushed. Desperation coming within 2 minutes, rebellion immediately after, and 5 minutes of resolution monologue. It is so rushed it was impossible to connect to it at all and to relate in any way.

The content should have spanned at least 4 or 5 episodes. The change of pace is completely anticlimactic. We had a slow, gradual build-up of the character over the previous 10 episodes. You cannot, then, move to rushing out of nowhere. From 1st gear to 6th gear. It makes absolutely zero sense and it will impact the reception of this anime very badly.
Dec 26, 2021 12:25 PM
Jul 2021
I'm in agreement with others disappointed by the visuals and rushing. I get this might be a low budget affair, but this particular character development phase was not the one to be skimping out on. The slideshows, the lack of audio, the breakneck pace of emotional shifts, all of that cheapened the impact of a very important turning point.

I also second those complaining about the voice, though not so aggressively. This guy's supposed to be an adult now, he needs a male voice actor in season 2.
Dec 26, 2021 12:26 PM

Sep 2015
There weren't enough character development for menel and william for me to be interested at all... The voice acting is horrible, it does not make it feel like anything is happening.

How exactly do you want me to feel bad for the situation?
August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

Dec 26, 2021 6:38 PM

Jul 2014
They were too kind to Menel. He still has hair in the anime lol
Dec 26, 2021 6:39 PM
Aug 2019
kriissyy12 said:
CuriouSniff said:

Decent Anime, poor adaptation in my opinion.
Its nice being anime only, because have nothing to compare too (:
Dec 26, 2021 10:20 PM
Sep 2008
And here I was thinking that finally we were going to have a decent battle with developed tactics and fluid animation. But no mostly static images and the MC was the only one to kill the monsters at one point I almost thought that I was watching Kirito fighting.

Don't get me wrong it is a good anime but comparing the first half to the second, this last one feels kind of underwhelming
Dec 27, 2021 4:05 AM

Jan 2014
Ok, I knew it is going downhill, but just where is the rock bottom at? This was by far the worst episode imo. Like I wouldn't mind the inner monologue that much but his reasoning is just totally non-existent. He went full retard, and well there are some other "minor" inconsistencies but I don't know like it is quite paradoxical that we get to hear so much of Will's thoughts and yet I am quite unsure what he actually wants.
Dec 27, 2021 4:07 AM

Jan 2014
Stink_Bug said:
I'm in agreement with others disappointed by the visuals and rushing. I get this might be a low budget affair, but this particular character development phase was not the one to be skimping out on. The slideshows, the lack of audio, the breakneck pace of emotional shifts, all of that cheapened the impact of a very important turning point.

I also second those complaining about the voice, though not so aggressively. This guy's supposed to be an adult now, he needs a male voice actor in season 2.

I would agree that he could use another VA, but I also highly doubt that he will get one.
Dec 27, 2021 6:08 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Damn that monster attack :/ Menel got wounded because of that but Will needs to acknowledge how OP he is but also how it is impossible to always predict what will happen and always protect everyone
Dec 27, 2021 11:45 AM

Nov 2014
So let me guess: next episode Will goes out on his own, gets in trouble and gets saved with friendship power. Or at least that's what I'd expect with how latest episodes were going. Tbh after a rather slow start and strong middle episodes, this anime is going downhill very fast, and it's not just the animation.
Dec 27, 2021 6:46 PM

Apr 2012
Keeping his pre pubescent voice when he's already a grown ass adult bothers me. The animation doesn't bother me as much since I've been consuming so much visual novels throughout the years. A new studio and director is needed.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Dec 28, 2021 9:20 AM
Jan 2008
I mean, even if the animation was pretty garbage, the important bits were articulated. At the very least, I defs shed tears on the delivery of the last portion of the episode. Really, I think the super-important bits were carried over & paced properly. ... It just lacks the production it deserves. :/

EDIT: between Assassin Isekai, Mushoku Tensei, and this, we've really been spoiled for pretty decent Isekais this season. Soooo happy~
Dec 29, 2021 3:52 AM

Jun 2019
I really am annoyed by, tired of, and just generally put off by William as a protagonist and other (and there are many) similar protagonists like him in other series. The voice acting is what it is, maybe not so great fitting, basically mediocre, but that aspect doesn't bother me as much as it does some other people.

It's the personality of needing to be this pristine self-righteous and holier than thou (I understand he was always planned to go on to assume the role of a paladin) figure with exceptional abilities in everything he tries, but then also being incredibly self-loathing, self-flagellating, and insecure. It's like this virulent brand of Japanese masochism which is so unnecessary and rubs me the wrong way. And the fluctuating between the two like the swing of a pendulum. The mindset on display is so utterly unwarranted to me.

I said before that it's not unique to Will and I have seen and been annoyed by this character trait and general archetype in other series, but it's just incredibly obnoxious and tends to make a protagonist unbelievably unsympathetic and unrelatable to me. Or rather, not someone I want to bother relating to or investing in because it's just so irrational and wholly unjustified for a person to have that much of a self-hating martyr complex thinking they're just a disgusting horrible villain who just needs to die and go away so everyone else can be happy and free - especially combined with the actual events depicted onscreen, which don't support a jump into such lunatic hysterics at all. It's so incongruent and such lunacy.

That and the fact that so much of this episode and some other episodes are so heavy in first person narration rather than just letting events play out and dialogue between characters unfold onscreen, and the very low detail art and animation just take me it out of it so much.

It's a shame because both the premise and the world/setting have near-limitless potential, I like the concept of characters like Bee and Tonio and what they bring to the table, and it is not bereft of other favorable attributes. But it is so poorly written, directed, and produced.
WatchTillTandavaDec 29, 2021 4:10 AM
Dec 30, 2021 9:49 AM

Feb 2021
Last episode will be aired on Monday because of new year
Dec 31, 2021 12:51 AM
Aug 2018
spfy said:
I have always disliked Will's voice. It's incredibly annoying. But this episode nearly put me over the edge. I really want to drop this show now. I can't believe they made the main character so annoying. Not only is his voice terrible, particularly when he's monologuing to himself, but his melodramatic self-pity amplifies its cringe to unbearable levels.

There's only one episode left, so I will finish it, but I am seriously disappointed that this show isn't over yet and that I'm going to have live through another episode of cringe.

This is my first forum post on MAL btw. I really wanted everyone to know how bad this episode is.

Yeah the voice actor choice was not great for Will
Dec 31, 2021 6:56 PM
Jul 2018
This episode felt really fast paced and off to me, especially Will's sudden realization. There was barely a build up to it. It's a shame this show isn't getting better treatment in terms of animation, that berserker mode fight scene was pretty badly done.

I like the show and I'm curious how it will wrap up this season, it's just a shame I think with the right quality this show could shine and be more popular.
removed-userDec 31, 2021 7:01 PM
Jan 1, 2022 4:30 AM

Sep 2018
This anime had such a good start as well, should have stayed at his home lmao, everything after he left on his adventure has been garbage unfortunately... Plus watching Will is infuriating and tiresome.
Jan 1, 2022 5:51 AM

Oct 2017
Such a cliche turn of events, this was pretty meh. So finale gonna be Menel trying to get back Will proly.
Jan 1, 2022 9:26 AM

Jun 2021
subo5 said:
Last episode will be aired on Monday because of new year

Thank you. I was a bit confused and forget this was a holiday, especially in Japan. I guess it's time to watch some shrine visit episodes of various other anime.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Saihate no Paladin Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 3, 2022

87 by Rohtendo »»
May 15, 9:22 PM

» They Ruined One of my Favorite Scenes in Manga (Spoilers)

FigJim - Jul 7, 2022

12 by Amatsukaze24 »»
May 6, 5:15 AM

Poll: » Saihate no Paladin Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Illyricus - Sep 27, 2021

119 by MrMjoez1 »»
Mar 19, 8:10 AM

Poll: » Saihate no Paladin Episode 10 Discussion

Pre_Yum - Dec 18, 2021

46 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 13, 4:06 AM

Poll: » Saihate no Paladin Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2021

52 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 13, 3:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.