Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 20, 2021 9:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Takeru definitely has the mindset of a soldier, at least for his country. Also seems like he has a tactical mind for dealing with the BETAs.

He and Meiya has perhaps the most complex relationship in the show so far. I think this episode showed more of his potential as a character and valuable asset.
Oct 20, 2021 9:28 AM
Oct 2020
Fuck pacing because fuck you. We just pressed an entire chapter into 30 seconds teehee.
Oct 20, 2021 9:29 AM
Nov 2014
Okay, so apparently nobody told the animators to not zoom in on a low-detail key frame! The zoom-in on the girls' faces in the PX naming scene was jarring and it didn't work, and it happens again with Marimo during one of the training scenes, it just looks really bad. Overall I'm not impressed with the character animations at all, such as Yuuko's uniform just molding from the collars into a seamless... thing.

They're flying through the content, but then again, there isn't really that much happening between Takeru's arrival and the CSSE. Nov 11th was handled okayish imho, I wasn't expecing Michiru to show up so early. I'm mildly surprised that they decided to skip the CSSE itself sans a few passing frames, and I'm not sure if this is the smartest idea in the end. The build-up to the CSSE has been there in the squad discussions and then it's relegated to a mission briefing, a few still shots, and Marimo announcing their pass at the heli. Where's the turret shooting Takeru up, I ask?!
[Disclaimer - I haven't read the VN but I know the plot rather well, at least up until Dec 25th.]

Upside - a few pieces of the OST are clearly inspired by the VN's OST, for example Takeru's first meeting with Yashiro. Bonus points for the plastic sound of the pilot suits when Michiru moves in the cockpit.
TranslatorPSOct 20, 2021 9:32 AM
Oct 20, 2021 9:49 AM

Jul 2017
From now on, I'm gonna analyze this as an anime-only, which this show IS NOT newcomer friendly at all. Feel free to @ me for VN fans, because this shitty adaptation will not change my mind that this is clearly an Umineko/Tsukihime situation.

Well, the opening is definitely creepy. At least the English is somewhat decent.

Takeru is well inducted into the group, but the relationship with the others like Kasumi still definitely needs some time getting used to. Kasumi and Sumika is part of Alternative IV, and of course, the concept of alternating worlds will be alien to those not invested in the Muv-Luv universe. More training for the team, and I suppose that'd be so to keep them in shape of passing the CCSE quicker than fast.

Off to fight the BETA, and Takeru's self-righteous personality may rub off the wrong way with vice-commander Yuuko, but she trusts what he's doing. That took a minute or 2 of pure strategy and PowerPoint-like presentation, yikes.

The character models this episode seem super stiff with the garbage animation, and you can tell that they're rushing events back and forth without rhyme or reason...which 3 episodes in, really breaks more than make it, even for hardcore fans.

Spelling out the anomalies in this one feels better.
Oct 20, 2021 9:53 AM
Oct 2020
but hey. Brabo Reader is there.
Oct 20, 2021 9:53 AM

Jul 2017
I don't even need to comment in detail about the rough pacing and skimming, poor visuals and directing, PowerPoint presentation-like animation, and sloppy storytelling in this episode, it's glaringly obvious throughout the whole episode.
Oct 20, 2021 9:58 AM

Jul 2017
KANLen09 said:
From now on, I'm gonna analyze this as an anime-only, which this show IS NOT newcomer friendly at all. Feel free to @ me for VN fans, because this shitty adaptation will not change my mind that this is clearly an Umineko/Tsukihime situation.

By this point, as much as it pains me to say it, the way this series has been adapted so far actually makes Tsukihime look competent as an anime. Tsukihime's rushed in the anime and feels soulless visually and with the story, but at least it felt way more cohesive to me than this, wasn't terribly drawn, and you actually get the gist of why Arcueid's potentially a really good character there. Here, there's really nothing going at all for it on a positive side.
Oct 20, 2021 10:10 AM

Jul 2019
Lmao they skipped the whole CCSE, it's too bad because i was actually enjoying the episode despite the obvious issues
Oct 20, 2021 10:27 AM
Feb 2015
The opening is good i suppose. The rest is quite rush. Though no point to consider much at this point. I've already treated the anime and VN as separate media.
Oct 20, 2021 10:32 AM

Jul 2015
I'm just for the
at this point. I want to see what amazing adptation will it be
Oct 20, 2021 10:35 AM
Oct 2020
AdrianRubinsky said:
I'm just for the
at this point. I want to see what amazing adptation will it be

Chomp while "Do what I want Do what I need" blaring off
Oct 20, 2021 10:51 AM

Sep 2014
On one hand, skipping some of the less important content was probably the right decision given the time constraints... but on the other hand, rushing through certain interactions like the talk in the cafeteria was definitely not good. And the decision to skip the whole island test in particular was atrocious.

I believe it should still be easy for anime only viewers to see glimpses of several intriguing elements and great ideas that made the VN stand far above your average mecha series. I do say "glimpses" because potential alone doesn't cut it - it still needs to be realized with proper build up, development, pacing, etc. If I hadn't read the source material, I'd totally get started after this ep.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it... but yeah, the facial expressions failed big time when it came to showing character emotion.
FlamepriesTOct 20, 2021 10:59 AM
Oct 20, 2021 10:59 AM
May 2013
With the current pacing I'm expecting to see the whole MLA adaptation here.

Should we go the slow pacing, building up the world and characters, take a risk and make this enjoyable and popular in the long run or do some generic 1st episode filler, rush everything up and make this watchable for the people who want a digest version/ just finished the VN and pretend later MLA anime never happened.
My guess is they took the 2nd option. They are adapting it just for the sake of it.

I'm just for the CGI TSFs at this point.
Oct 20, 2021 11:02 AM
Jan 2018
At this point, this has gone well beyond just a bad adaptation. It's easily one of the worst adaptations I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing and we're only three episodes in. Just the fact that it skipped Extra and Unlimited made it an instant failure due to how much build up and character development was ruined. However, skipping through entire chapters of the VN whilst also having powerpoint tier level visuals, god awful direction, unfitting VAs and general disregard for any kind of quality to the point of adapting an entire arc in sub 30 seconds is astonishing. This makes things like The Promised Neverland, Tsukihime and Umineko's anime adaptations genuinely look redeemable.
AnimaniaigOct 20, 2021 11:06 AM
Oct 20, 2021 11:11 AM
Jul 2016
Omg if they were going to make the CSSE a powerpoint i'd had rather preferred they'd just never mentioned it in the first place and just skipped it. Idk its so rushed its not even jarring, its just funny af.

Oct 20, 2021 11:13 AM
May 2021
Good things about the anime so far:
Music
6 seconds Michiru scene
Yuuko in swimsuit
3DCGI TSF.

Watching this entirely be like:
F you. Go read the VN.
Oct 20, 2021 11:15 AM

Apr 2018
Now I'm actually worried that they do intend to fit the whole Alternative into one cour, which would indeed make it one of the worst adaptations in history smh.

They didn't even do the opening sequence right. The original English voice acting in the 2017 version of Alternative had so much more emotion and tension than this rushed and confusing stuff (Are the Bravo Leader and the Command Post voiced by the same guy or what?)

Also since when did Yuuko talk in such a straightforward way to Takeru from the get go...... I clearly don't remember her summarizing Alternative IV like this in the VN. OK, this might be a desperate attempt by the script writer to keep the anime-only audience by leaving some obvious hints relatively "early" into the story, but this will make the surprises and hits that are to come later so much weaker.
Oct 20, 2021 11:29 AM

Jul 2011
When the season is full of isekai trash and second season of trash LN, that even this somewhat bad anime is good and refreshing to watch.
BlichoBoyOct 20, 2021 11:34 AM
Oct 20, 2021 11:29 AM

Oct 2012
bro this fucking pacing hahahahahaha

actually will be hilarious if they do the whole VN in 12 episodes. ive gone past caring, lets see how bad it can get
Oct 20, 2021 11:35 AM
Feb 2015
Koybz said:
bro this fucking pacing hahahahahaha

actually will be hilarious if they do the whole VN in 12 episodes. ive gone past caring, lets see how bad it can get

Hahaha, same reason. I'm also checking this now just to see how they intend to speed it through.
Oct 20, 2021 11:39 AM
Oct 2021
Damn, I'm very disappointed when they skipped CCSE and turn it into a such short scene. The CCSE is basically the climax of the training part...
Oct 20, 2021 11:42 AM

Feb 2019
Despite the loud criticism from the VN fans I’ve enjoyed the first few episodes of this tremendously and it’s accomplished the task of getting people into the VNs because after my GRE tomorrow, I plan to start reading it.
Oct 20, 2021 12:08 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I've never read/seen the source material but I feel completely lost sometimes when watching this. I feel like they jump from one set piece to another and like they skip a whole lot of in between dialogue and interactions.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 20, 2021 12:34 PM

Dec 2012
No way they skipped Takeru thinking Yoroi was a guy part.......
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Oct 20, 2021 12:42 PM
Oct 2020
I thought pacing was good for the first two episodes, but wow, that episode was rough. Having the CSSE in just a couple shots is just jaw dropping. I defended the first two episodes, but I cannot defend this episode.
Oct 20, 2021 12:42 PM

Jun 2021
Better than episode 2, but still a lot to be desired.

The animation looked to have improved a little bit (at least now, still images look decent), but any scene with a lot of character movements still looks like a mess (the scene of Takeru standing up and walking away from the table at the cafeteria looks terrible).

The pacing continues to be confusing and very questionable. Again, I really don't know why they bothered with the anime original episode 1, if they were going to give us this jumbled mess.
Oct 20, 2021 12:49 PM
Apr 2016
Pietru said:
Wrong anime. That was in Unlimited. That doesn't and probably won't ever have an adaptation.

Anyway, no wonder he thought that, since Yoroi from his world was a guy.

KANLen09 said:
Guess who predicted it? https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1951488&show=0
JanPriOct 20, 2021 12:54 PM
Oct 20, 2021 1:08 PM

Oct 2015
Okay, this episode somehow convinced me that this adaptation mostly follows not the vn but the manga, like the scene when the
appears, it's mostly similar with what happened in the manga. Also both episode 2 and 3 covers all of volume 1.

If it's true, and if they planning to cover each volume into 2 episode, then 12 episode will covers up to volume 6, right when the
ends.

Well, at least I hope that's the case.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 20, 2021 1:31 PM

Oct 2010
Well as a VN reader i definitely feel like im watching a very quick summary of Alternative in animation.

F to the
that died off screen during that BETA attack.

Great to hear an arranged Sunny Days VN OST in the anime (first PX scene).

Marinate1016 said:
Despite the loud criticism from the VN fans I’ve enjoyed the first few episodes of this tremendously and it’s accomplished the task of getting people into the VNs because after my GRE tomorrow, I plan to start reading it.

I wish you a great time reading it!
Just beware of the PTSD
This anime getting people interested into the source and franchise, is the best thing that can happen.

igundamOct 20, 2021 1:40 PM
Oct 20, 2021 1:39 PM

Mar 2014
KANLen09 said:

Well, the opening is definitely creepy. At least the English is somewhat decent.

Takeru is well inducted into the group, but the relationship with the others like Kasumi still definitely needs some time getting used to. Kasumi and Sumika is part of Alternative IV, and of course, the concept of alternating worlds will be alien to those not invested in the Muv-Luv universe. More training for the team, and I suppose that'd be so to keep them in shape of passing the CCSE quicker than fast.

Off to fight the BETA, and Takeru's self-righteous personality may rub off the wrong way with vice-commander Yuuko, but she trusts what he's doing. That took a minute or 2 of pure strategy and PowerPoint-like presentation, yikes.

The character models this episode seem super stiff with the garbage animation, and you can tell that they're rushing events back and forth without rhyme or reason...which 3 episodes in, really breaks more than make it, even for hardcore fans.

Spelling out the anomalies in this one feels better.

I don’t even know the VN and just watching this show as anime-only. But I am lost in place somehow. Yes, time travel and got the grasp and so on, but the story doesn’t have any „red line“ for me to follow.

The anime is just like puzzle pieces, but not connected together and as the result - nothing makes sense right now as anime-only watcher.
I can understand now why fans are upset of the show..
Oct 20, 2021 1:46 PM
Mar 2021
As someone who has played the vn I like it, but that's only because I can fill in the details. The issue is if you haven't played it this anime will make no sense. The animation isn't the greatest so far but it ain't bad.
Oct 20, 2021 1:48 PM
Dec 2007
KANLen09 said:

This is pretty much where I'm at as well. I'll be honest, I'm shocked at how many anime watchers fall for the "don't worry it will be friendly for new comers" line. Of course theyre going to say that, they want you to watch their product. Same thing happened with Higurashi Gou and Sotsu and at this point the good old "don't worry it will be friendly for new comers" should just be an instant red flag that it won't be newbie friendly.

Anyways, for what its doing the show serviceable as someone whose played the VNs but all it's doing is making me want to go back and just do the visual novel. I do admire the chutzpah of just acting like Extra and Alternative happened off screen and if you want to find out more go play the games. At least with Deen/ Stay Night, Tsukihime, and Umineko they started with the beginning of the story lol.
Oct 20, 2021 2:11 PM
May 2021
Marinate1016 said:
Glad to see new people into the community!
Maybe after you delved into the VNs a dozen of hours, you'll notice why people are making rants about it.
Oct 20, 2021 2:44 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Did they just.. cover the whole exam arc off-screen in like 30 seconds? Lol

Seriously though not covering Extra or Unlimited is already gonna make things confusing for anime-only viewers but this pacing on top is absolutely insane
Oct 20, 2021 2:49 PM

Jan 2009
damn the 2D animation is so bad lol

so the enemy aliens are harvesting human brains?

now they can pilot those robots
Oct 20, 2021 2:56 PM

Mar 2010
Too much talking.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 20, 2021 3:05 PM
Mar 2011
Pietru said:

That was in Unlimited, it's not in Alternative
Oct 20, 2021 3:46 PM

Apr 2015
This anime makes me so glad that I read the visual novel.

Seriously, this is beyond rushed.
Oct 20, 2021 4:26 PM
Jan 2019
I am okay with the pacing (even with this speed they will have a hard enough time covering the first real arc of the visual novel), the new voice cast is doing a good job, but man... the animation took a step backwards from last week which was already weak. Kind of ruins everything else.
Oct 20, 2021 4:32 PM
Jun 2016
JanPri said:
Pietru said:
Wrong anime. That was in Unlimited. That doesn't and probably won't ever have an adaptation.

Anyway, no wonder he thought that, since Yoroi from his world was a guy.

Actually, that could happen in Alternative too. Takeru in MLA had an option to do it again and it was even more hilarious with him thinking "sorry Mikoto" while doing this once more. I really wanted to see that in anime, but I guess it's impossible when they skipped the whole CCSE.
Graphics aside, I think it's not as bad as most people here comment. Definitely not worse than Tsukihime adaptation lol
Oct 20, 2021 4:33 PM
Jun 2016
Incognimous said:
I am okay with the pacing (even with this speed they will have a hard enough time covering the first real arc of the visual novel), the new voice cast is doing a good job, but man... the animation took a step backwards from last week which was already weak. Kind of ruins everything else.

Yea, graphics really suck. Blu-Ray is my only hope for fixing that.
Oct 20, 2021 5:49 PM

Feb 2019
NergalMHL said:
Marinate1016 said:
Glad to see new people into the community!
Maybe after you delved into the VNs a dozen of hours, you'll notice why people are making rants about it.

VN adaptations are never gonna be great, it’s just too much content you have to cut. I just approach anime adaptions as a trailer/ad for the VN
Oct 20, 2021 7:09 PM

Oct 2008
why am I feeling lost soo much and why do I want to drop this ASAP??

Why do I have the feeling that those pictures of officers in a sheet that the professor had after they changed the battle should be of some importance and they will forget about it?

Since this is my first anime of the whole series... Should a drop it completely?
For the ones that like to bother others (like me) with "you should read the manga/LN", please stop. I don't read mangas, I will NOT read mangas, I will not listen to what manga readers complain in adaptation to the anime counterpart, I only watch anime except in very few and specific situations.
Oct 20, 2021 7:18 PM

Jan 2015
r_justo said:
why am I feeling lost soo much and why do I want to drop this ASAP??

Why do I have the feeling that those pictures of officers in a sheet that the professor had after they changed the battle should be of some importance and they will forget about it?

Since this is my first anime of the whole series... Should a drop it completely?

Yes you should. A truly a big mistake watching this horrible rushed adaptation.
Rance X is A GOAT.
Oct 20, 2021 9:08 PM
Jun 2012
It makes sense to skip the test. No point in seeing him complete it fairly easily when you never see him struggle so hard in unlimited.
Oct 20, 2021 9:28 PM

Jan 2008
Let's be realistic here, anime and manga are using the 24hr clock while VN is using 4 times the 24hr clock, ppl don't have all day going thru this. While ppl have all day in the VN realm because to them, time pretty much stops while reading with background and foreground still for the next 15-20 minutes with a new CG, and then another 15-20 minutes with another new background and foreground with another new CG.

As a VN reader, have read all the trilogy, it sure does took a huge amount of time invested, but it is worth it.

I read the manga as well, and almost no one complains about the manga adaptation, it was also rushed as well, but not on the same level as anime rushed tho, but still.

If Muv-Luv is ever going to adapt into anime in the future, they should do ONA releases with 1 hour per episode without having to place TV timeslot restrictions. It helps and that would be the best choice Muv-Luv would ever get a proper anime adaptations and also taking the time for better quality of character art and animations. Strike the Blood Season 2-4 + Final did it well.
TPatrioticOtakuOct 20, 2021 9:33 PM
Oct 20, 2021 9:44 PM

Jan 2017
First episode made me think this could end up somewhat decent but nope, last 2 episodes proved otherwise.
great.
Oct 20, 2021 10:01 PM
Feb 2015
2 episodes in, and Takeru hasn't even called Marimo "Marimo-chan".
Oct 20, 2021 10:11 PM

Jan 2008
ixarising said:
2 episodes in, and Takeru hasn't even called Marimo "Marimo-chan".

But always call Sakaki "Incho"
Oct 20, 2021 10:14 PM
Aug 2013
Dang they really covered the CCSE in 10 seconds like that…?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2021

82 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 11, 2023 4:31 AM

» Why fans are OVERREACTING.?

Sandro8604 - Oct 14, 2021

46 by koneroko »»
Dec 27, 2022 4:09 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2021

45 by MoeMoeKyun »»
Nov 16, 2022 7:04 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2021

44 by MoeMoeKyun »»
Nov 16, 2022 6:44 PM

» There is no Muv Luv Alternative anime ( 1 2 )

OppaiSugoi - Oct 13, 2021

63 by ixarising »»
Oct 8, 2022 11:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.