Forum Settings
Forums
Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 15, 2019 7:58 AM

Jul 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Just got back from watching it, had a hard time getting a seat, freaking full house.
Long story short, if you're expecting this to be the mostly fun antics with back and forth banters that we all love and adore, you won't get it that much, the film does start off funny but also already gets you curious on whats happening. Mid way, well not exactly mid but most of the time, its full on gloom and depressing.
Will do a full background of the story on another post, tired af.
Jun 16, 2019 4:45 AM

Jul 2017
Oh my god, I needed to read this since I read the spoilers of what happened in the LN. And thank you so much for warning the others regarding the spoiler.

Man, the fact that I know this movie's going to kill me with the feels makes me want to see it even more now! Why do I have to wait around 6 months for the BD...

Need to confirm: Did Sakura and Mai kissed? (If not, then I kinda knew it.)
Mikura39Jun 16, 2019 8:37 AM

Help, I'm hooked into the Fate series (not all) and am obsessed with Shirou x Saber!
Also, forever hoping for a ufotable remake of the Fate route!
Jun 16, 2019 7:44 AM

Jan 2013
Okay, I just went to the theater to see it

And wow, it was pretty insane !

Also thank -Stray for the explanation of the small parts I didn't get

I give it a good 9/10 !
Jun 16, 2019 8:52 AM

Jul 2014
Mikura39 said:

Need to confirm: Did Sakura and Mai kissed? (If not, then I kinda knew it.)

Rimazu said:
Okay, I just went to the theater to see it

And wow, it was pretty insane !

Also thank -Stray for the explanation of the small parts I didn't get

I give it a good 9/10 !

Sure, movie was great! didn't expect an arc like this.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
DeadlyRavenNov 27, 2019 8:37 PM
Jun 16, 2019 9:24 AM

Jul 2017
-Stray said:

If you haven't read till the last part don't open the spoiler tag Im about to say.

Don't worry, I read your whole summary and spoilers from the LN.

I knew it. I had a feeling they wouldn't show it. I've heard from readers of the LN that they kissed before but don't know what volume. So, in the anime, the kiss is offscreen, eh? Oh well, not every romance needed a kiss. It will definitely bother others, though.
Mikura39Jun 16, 2019 9:27 AM

Help, I'm hooked into the Fate series (not all) and am obsessed with Shirou x Saber!
Jun 16, 2019 10:23 AM

Jul 2014
Mikura39 said:

Jun 16, 2019 1:27 PM

Jul 2017
-Stray said:
Mikura39 said:

That is fair. Yeah, I noticed that and that was when I changed my mind regarding her. Only a bit though. I need to see the movie for myself to give my proper opinion about Shouko.

Though I kinda wish that not all girls would fall in love with him. Understandable why they would, but I'm getting sick of it.

Sorry, it's just that I've seen so many shows where someone just cockblocks the couple's relationship and it just annoyed me. One of the worst examples of these is SAO, Dragon Crisis, Rakudai and a lot of harem anime.

I'll try my best to open my mind regarding Shouko and will watch the movie one day to give my proper thoughts.

Jun 16, 2019 11:33 PM

Jul 2014
Mikura39 said:

That is fair. Yeah, I noticed that and that was when I changed my mind regarding her. Only a bit though. I need to see the movie for myself to give my proper opinion about Shouko.

Though I kinda wish that not all girls would fall in love with him. Understandable why they would, but I'm getting sick of it.

Sorry, it's just that I've seen so many shows where someone just cockblocks the couple's relationship and it just annoyed me. One of the worst examples of these is SAO, Dragon Crisis, Rakudai and a lot of harem anime.

I'll try my best to open my mind regarding Shouko and will watch the movie one day to give my proper thoughts.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
DeadlyRavenNov 27, 2019 8:38 PM
Jun 17, 2019 6:42 AM
Jun 2017
The movie was great! It was the first one that I was able to understand in around 90%, which makes me even more happy. I was not sure about the last scenes, because some words I did not know appeared, so thanks for the summary! Really a feels train :>
Jun 18, 2019 5:27 AM

Nov 2008
Ugh, this didn't just tug at my heartstrings, it tore them apart. I thought it all wrapped up kinda easily but I didn't mind, they all deserved their happy ending.
Jun 22, 2019 2:38 PM

Jul 2017
Oh yeah, I want to ask one more thing (technically 2). Though this sounds cruel but:

And please tell me how many times did Sakuta and Mai hugged in the movie. As well as the scenes where the hugs occurred in a spoiler box.
Mikura39Jun 22, 2019 3:56 PM

Jun 27, 2019 8:22 AM

Jul 2010
The movie was far too fast paced, I didn't even have time for feels.
オタクなんじゃねぃよ
I'm not an otaku.
Jun 27, 2019 8:22 AM

Jul 2010
Mikura39 said:
Oh yeah, I want to ask one more thing (technically 2). Though this sounds cruel but:

And please tell me how many times did Sakuta and Mai hugged in the movie. As well as the scenes where the hugs occurred in a spoiler box.

Yes they showed it. Face down though.
オタクなんじゃねぃよ
I'm not an otaku.
Jun 28, 2019 1:35 AM
Jan 2011
How did Mai know he was from future?
Jun 28, 2019 7:23 AM

Jan 2015
was waiting for this movie to come out before i start the series, but shouko sounds like a really annoying character, so I guess I will skip this. (wish she died tbh)
Jul 7, 2019 2:50 AM
Jan 2014
As a light novel reader, pretty disappoint with this adaption.
The movie adapted both volume 6 and 7 in 90 minutes, you can just imagine 800 pages in such a short time will be a super fast paste movie.
Basically 1/3 contents from the source material had been cut out, the staff mainly focused in the main plot, but all the side stories and character developments had been reduce to minimum. Thus the movie itself might feel bland and cliche due to not enough character build up.

But because the source material is amazing, even though the directing sucks it still worth watching if you like the tv series adaption.

One thing that I really felt unfortunate tho is they cut out this part:
Jul 10, 2019 8:13 AM

Feb 2018
Ma, it looks like waiting for this discussion to be busy maybe long. Buying a ticket to watch the theater is not bad, how can it not be that much as I can watch the tragedy and romance together. The impression that made me most forget from this is where the Mai and Sakuta scenes go far using the train. Mai says "I will not allow you" more or less like that. and the full conversation of the drama happened and my goodness deeply touched me. Besides that, Mai also appears dead here. I wasn't surprised because before I came here I got a spoiler. Sakuta was shocked to see Mai die deciding to return to the past and save Mai. At the end, Sakuta and Mai were seen walking along the river and they saw a little girl who was being watched by their parents, then Sakuta shouted Shoko-san. Ma, this is pretty good 10/10 maybe okay?
SyureriaDec 1, 2019 9:17 PM
Jul 12, 2019 10:11 PM
Nov 2015
lnklo said:
The movie adapted both volume 6 and 7 in 90 minutes, you can just imagine 800 pages in such a short time will be a super fast paste movie.
Basically 1/3 contents from the source material had been cut out, the staff mainly focused in the main plot, but all the side stories and character developments had been reduce to minimum. Thus the movie itself might feel bland and cliche due to not enough character build up.

But because the source material is amazing, even though the directing sucks it still worth watching if you like the tv series adaption.

so you're saying that 2/3 of the novel is bland and cliched. Great source material them huh?

Cutting out content isn't bad direction, it's something that is needed to make this adaptation work and they did a great job of creating a coherent story while still cutting out stuff. The stuff that was in the movie was still interesting and well done, just because it didn't follow the source properly doesn't mean as an adaptation it can't be amazing. People who are source material readers and the only critism that they offer for the adaptation is that it didn't follow the source material should be banned from the discussion about the adaptation.
Black_Sheep97Jul 12, 2019 10:17 PM
Jul 16, 2019 4:18 AM
Aug 2016
Still didn't know why he got scar
Aug 29, 2019 3:38 PM

Mar 2015
i was shook when mai was the one who got hit by the car ;-;

ZeroAXL said:
Still didn't know why he got scar

Because Sakuta's heart and future Shoko's heart(which is also Sakuta's heart) were both in the same time period. iirc

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
DeadlyRavenNov 27, 2019 8:39 PM
Browsing the internet while infuriated is much like driving while under the influence of some foreign substance: it is possible, but ill-advised.
Oct 2, 2019 6:19 PM

Dec 2014
Just saw it in theaters, good movie.

I'm just gonna say it, the movie was good but I felt that there were too many plot conveniences. Throughout the movie they try to make it look like, someone is gonna end up dying. The whole atmosphere is heavy and to be honest, when Mai got hit, I was genuinely shocked. I had no idea how they were gonna overwrite this, I genuinely thought that show was gonna continue with Mai dead. I suppose it was at this point when Shouko tells Sakuta that he can save Mai and explains the whole time travelling part that I felt like the plot became a little contrived. I was still okay with it since I probably wouldn't have wanted her dead but I couldn't help but feel that the story was getting overly convenient. Eventually the idea with them saving Shouko also felt contrived but then Shouko herself knew what to do it and went ahead with it. At this point, I was like okay I guess it's still a bittersweet ending since none of the characters would know Shouko but then, the exact point where I was like, come on this is a little overly convenient was when Sakuta and Shouko somehow remembered each other at the very end.

Once again, don't get me wrong. I'm happy that we got the perfect happy ending, after all what else would you want? It's just that with the way the story was built up, the mood, the atmosphere that someone had to be sacrificed, this perfect ending just doesn't flow into that. At least, the way it was achieved just didn't feel right to me, even a bittersweet ending with no one remembering Shouko felt better to me but what are you gonna do I guess?

My opinion on the movie, similar to that of the show is that the characters are what carry the movie despite all the plot conveniences. I'm invested in them and I want them to be happy so on some level, I'm content with the way this movie played out but I don't know, it's just not as satisfying as I want it to be or rather I expected it to be. Maybe, I was just expecting too much? I don't know.

As for the movie itself, it was made well. Sakuta Mai moments were always great and a lot of intimate characters were fantastic and what really made the movie for me.

Overall, I feel the story was trying to be some sort of Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya but it couldn't live up to that. However, the characters still carried the movie enough to make it enjoyable and entertaining.

8/10
Lelouch0202Oct 2, 2019 6:23 PM
Oct 2, 2019 6:28 PM

Jan 2019
Just saw it in theatres! Like @Lelouch0202 ...

I've never really watched something quite like this Rascal saga... Between all of the timeline stuff, it confuses the hell out of me... The animation isn't all that beautiful and there is quite a bit of dialogue to digest...

But I really like to trust whats going on in it, just because I really feel like the characters are being so darn genuine. It feels intimate and keeps me engaged! With this saga, i truly suspend my disbelief and let it all soak in.. and I feel like I may miss some of the subtleties along the way, but i trust the narrative.
Oct 2, 2019 6:33 PM

Dec 2013
noah9999 said:
Just saw it in theatres! Like @Lelouch0202 ...

I've never really watched something quite like this Rascal saga... Between all of the timeline stuff, it confuses the hell out of me... The animation isn't all that beautiful and there is quite a bit of dialogue to digest...

But I really like to trust whats going on in it, just because I really feel like the characters are being so darn genuine. It feels intimate and keeps me engaged! With this saga, i truly suspend my disbelief and let it all soak in.. and I feel like I may miss some of the subtleties along the way, but i trust the narrative.

Just coming from the theaters myself. Everyone with me is still a little confused when it comes to the different plot points. A great movie but I feel it would be better for me to watch it on Blu ray so I can rewind the confusing bits.
Oct 2, 2019 6:35 PM

Aug 2018
Same here, just saw it. I think I'm going to need a diagram or chart or something to help me sort out the timelines... Some Steins;Gate-level stuff going on.

I enjoyed it though. It played like a triple-length episode of the show. I was kinda hoping for a step up animation- and sound-wise, but there wasn't any sloppiness.

So invested in the characters by this point that I could just watch them interact indefinitely. Also Futaba had some really nice moments, and all the emotional beats felt genuine.

9/10

RealMTL said:
Just coming from the theaters myself. Everyone with me is still a little confused when it comes to the different plot points. A great movie but I feel it would be better for me to watch it on Blu ray so I can rewind the confusing bits.

Yep; I'm going to need to watch it at least once or twice more through before I can wrap my head around everything, especially in the 2nd half.

DeadlyRavenNov 27, 2019 8:39 PM
Set SCE to AUX
Oct 2, 2019 6:56 PM
Jul 2015
I didn't think this movie was too confusing. I liked it more than the show. It benefits from having everything established already.
Oct 2, 2019 6:57 PM

Jan 2019
Spaceship said:
RealMTL said:

Yep; I'm going to need to watch it at least once or twice more through before I can wrap my head around everything, especially in the 2nd half.

absolutely, they talk so much, it was hard to keep up a little haha.

Was also looking for better animation, that's what i didn't love about it...
Oct 2, 2019 7:11 PM

Jun 2007
Better than I was expecting, definitely worth the watch.
Oct 2, 2019 7:25 PM

Aug 2008
So was Shoko's illness caused by her puberty syndrome? Or vice versa?
Oct 2, 2019 7:27 PM

Aug 2018
destructo22 said:

My take is that Shoko's time travel manifestation of puberty syndrome was caused by her anxiety about the future stemming from the uncertainty created by her illness. Her illness came first, in other words.

I could be wrong though.
Set SCE to AUX
Oct 2, 2019 7:33 PM
Jan 2018
destructo22 said:

Her illness was real. In the end everyone lost their memory. Mai ended up starring in a movie about the illness that Shoko had, they used it to spread awareness about organ donation. Which led to Shoko appearing healthy and presumably received a heart from someone else.

I purchased a ticket to this movie before watching the series >.<.. But I ended up watching it all yesterday so it's okay.

It was a really enjoyable series and I hope they continue with a 2nd season.

DeadlyRavenNov 27, 2019 8:40 PM
Oct 2, 2019 9:08 PM
Nov 2018
Great movie, crowd at the theater I watched it in was great. Everyone was so shocked when THAT happened.
Oct 2, 2019 9:55 PM

Sep 2014
Just saw this in the movie theater. Honestly was pretty confused by the ending...

Oct 2, 2019 10:01 PM

Jan 2016
Kou_Keiki said:
Just saw this in the movie theater. Honestly was pretty confused by the ending...

From what I understood,
Oct 2, 2019 10:24 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I also came back from the theaters! Not related to the movie itself, but was anyone else's theater like 90% males? Lol.

Anyways, I really enjoyed the movie. But the atmosphere was definitely heavy the majority of the time, and I cried for like a third of the movie. Even so, there were definitely some humorous moments just like the TV series, which I'm very glad for. I have to agree with Lelouch0202 on that it's the characters that carry the story, allowing me to overlook the plot conveniences. The characters are such a pleasure to watch, I love the whole cast. For example, when Sakuta's friends worry about him, it feels genuine. Futaba continued to show concern for Sakuta's well-being, and Kunimi also coming to get him after seeing that Sakuta had been in pictures relating to Mai.

It was a very emotional movie, and I have even more respect for Sakuta. He really had to make painful decisions, and it must've been heart-wrenching to realize over and over again that there's nothing you can do (but well, we know that he was able to do something). Worst of all, each time he figured out that Shouko was hiding something or knew about everything, you can tell all sorts of emotions went over him in those moments. It must've made him feel that everything he agonized over and the decisions he made was never going to work, Shouko would've made sure that he didn't for her. Despite all the pain he went through, I respect him because he made me realize something in this movie. I'm a caretaker to a sick family member, but it's been really tough battling with my emotions. While Sakuta wasn't one, he cared so much about Shouko, and visited her everyday to the best of his ability. That's really amazing to me. It makes me want to improve myself, to do better. Tbh it could've been any self-sacrificing and caring character, but I don't think I'd feel any other way about this character even if I couldn't relate to him. And ofc, shout-out to Mai, Shouko, and Futaba for all the pain they had to endure in this movie. I'm glad it was a happy ending, although why did I even doubt that wouldn't happen? Due to quantum entanglement (probably, as that's the explanation for almost everything here), Sakuta and Mai were still able to get together. Sakuta also remembered Shouko :')

I also feel like the word "dream" in the title is even more relevant now.

Kenpls said:
Mai ended up starring in a movie about the illness that Shoko had, they used it to spread awareness about organ donation. Which led to Shoko appearing healthy and presumably received a heart from someone else.

That was my only question at the end of the movie, I'm glad someone answered this! Thank you!

I'm surprised to hear the source material is still continuing. I thought this movie/arc wrapped up everything really well. But with the adolescence syndrome, there's a lot more that could be explored, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I would like to see a Kunimi arc :) I'm definitely down for a second season if it ever happens!
tingyOct 2, 2019 10:29 PM
Oct 3, 2019 4:50 AM

Aug 2008
Another question: what triggered the new future? Was it someting Sakuta did?
Oct 3, 2019 7:04 AM

Aug 2018
tingy said:
I also came back from the theaters! Not related to the movie itself, but was anyone else's theater like 90% males? Lol.

Yep, almost all dudes. :)

To be fair, from what I've seen it isn't all that different from the demographic proportions for Japanese audiences for these kinds of shows...

The characters are such a pleasure to watch, I love the whole cast. For example, when Sakuta's friends worry about him, it feels genuine. Futaba continued to show concern for Sakuta's well-being, and Kunimi also coming to get him after seeing that Sakuta had been in pictures relating to Mai.

Completely agree. They're so well written. It also helps that we've had 13 anime episodes to get to know them and witness them have each others' backs through all kinds of stuff. Kaede got the least screen time, but the final arc of the series was hers, so I was OK with that.

I'm surprised to hear the source material is still continuing. I thought this movie/arc wrapped up everything really well. But with the adolescence syndrome, there's a lot more that could be explored, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I would like to see a Kunimi arc :) I'm definitely down for a second season if it ever happens!

Same!

Set SCE to AUX
Oct 3, 2019 7:11 AM

Dec 2013
tingy said:

I think that might have been your area. In my theater I saw quite a few females. Most of them looked like they had to drag their boyfriends to the theater (which was very funny to watch).
Oct 3, 2019 1:51 PM

Jul 2017
Saw this last night, but was too tired to post here.

First of all - Absolutely packed theater! Literally every seat that wasn't directly in front of the screen was taken. Good to see the movie doing well by anime movie standards. I wouldn't be surprised if this two-day run got an extension.
I also saw a relatively high number of teenagers in the audience, both alone and with parents. Good to see honestly.

Anyways, the movie itself was phenomenal. It completely capitalized on everything the show offered and more. I even knew the "crash" incident was some kind of an element, but I was completely caught off guard with how it was executed. There's so much to say about the plot, but I'll leave it at that.

The animation, while not exactly outstanding, more than got the job done. The OST was very nice as well.

I appreciate how while not every character was a main character, they still played a role in the story. For example, the way they implemented Koga was brilliant.

Overall, a 10/10 easily
In some ways, I'd compare this to The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, which is definitely a superior film on a technical level, but Rascal Does Not Dream of a Dreaming Girl has definitely left me thinking and contemplating the movie more than a day later.
Sorry, the user you are looking for is not available at the moment. You are currently reading text generated by APSAB or "Auto-Programmed-Signature-Mataining-Bot" (patent pending).

ERROR CODE 1979-NIPUL-W3EB
Please Install the Latest Version of MAL.OS as Some Features of Certain Signatures May Not Appear Correctly. You are currently running MAL.OS.V4. Click here to download MAL.OS.V5.

APSAB Version: Beta.99

"If Seinfeld isn't your favorite anime, then you aren't watching anime correctly."
- Me

Oct 3, 2019 7:36 PM

Jul 2017
Just saw it and damn it was an emotional rollercoaster. In the end though I’m glad everyone is alive and well. I almost cried when Mei died though and I really just got attached to Shoko.
Oct 3, 2019 7:46 PM
Jul 2017
Black_Sheep97 said:
lnklo said:

so you're saying that 2/3 of the novel is bland and cliched. Great source material them huh?

Cutting out content isn't bad direction, it's something that is needed to make this adaptation work and they did a great job of creating a coherent story while still cutting out stuff. The stuff that was in the movie was still interesting and well done, just because it didn't follow the source properly doesn't mean as an adaptation it can't be amazing. People who are source material readers and the only critism that they offer for the adaptation is that it didn't follow the source material should be banned from the discussion about the adaptation.

I have never read the source material but agree that the movie felt a bit bland and cliche. Perhaps I'm too cynical and simply cannot accept a perfect happy ending, but I think that the movie was missing a really anything really poignant in it. There are sad parts, yes. But in the end, regardless of whatever sacrifices are made we end up practically right where we started. In spite of the fact that the characters themselves tell us of the huge changes that could come about because of the final alteration, through convenient contrivances such as dreams and visions, the timeline remains whole. And then, the one (not very sad because we don't really get to know her that well because movies are short) loss that Shoko will be forgotten by our characters, is completely undone because Sakuta gets to remember because... feelings, I guess? It just seems that there ended up being no consequences for anyone's real sacrifices or attempted sacrifices which cheapens the act as a whole. And perhaps I should've seen this coming because of the title, but it's like when you watch anything and all this dramatic stuff happens and it's moving and sad and wonderful and then in the end the protagonist wakes up because it was all a dream.
Don't get me wrong, I loved the series, I will eagerly await an announcement of the 2nd season, but this movie, inspite of being part of Canon and supposed to move the show along, feels like total filler.
Oct 3, 2019 8:01 PM

Aug 2018
zamandzoe said:

First of all - Absolutely packed theater! Literally every seat that wasn't directly in front of the screen was taken. Good to see the movie doing well by anime movie standards. I wouldn't be surprised if this two-day run got an extension.
I also saw a relatively high number of teenagers in the audience, both alone and with parents. Good to see honestly.

Great to hear! My theater was not too full; I'd say 1/4 full maybe, and if you visualize in your head the popular concept of an "anime fan," that's who the majority of the folks were...

MrAnthrope said:
But in the end, regardless of whatever sacrifices are made we end up practically right where we started.

Except for the fact that Sakuta and Mai's relationship made huge strides over the course of the film.

That was a criticism frequently leveled at the series by folks who wanted the focus of the entire run to be on Sakuta and Mai, not understanding that their relationship grew because of the focus on the other characters, not in spite of it. The movie adopts the same formula. They both had to make critical decisions, and really showed each other how much they cared. Mai's scene on the train platform was probably the highlight of the movie for me.
Set SCE to AUX
Oct 3, 2019 8:08 PM
Jul 2017
Spaceship said:
zamandzoe said:

Great to hear! My theater was not too full; I'd say 1/4 full maybe, and if you visualize in your head the popular concept of an "anime fan," that's who the majority of the folks were...

MrAnthrope said:
But in the end, regardless of whatever sacrifices are made we end up practically right where we started.

Except for the fact that Sakuta and Mai's relationship made huge strides over the course of the film.

That was a criticism frequently leveled at the series by folks who wanted the focus of the entire run to be on Sakuta and Mai, not understanding that their relationship grew because of the focus on the other characters, not in spite of it. The movie adopts the same formula. They both had to make critical decisions, and really showed each other how much they cared. Mai's scene on the train platform was probably the highlight of the movie for me.

Those moments were amazing and I'm very glad to have seen them and you're 100 percent right that their relationship did grow. They literally each died for the other. And then they made it so NONE OF THAT EVER HAPPENED. That timeline is gone. So that Sakuta and Mai who had Shoko's puberty syndrome catalyze their relationship to new heights are gone. The Sakuta and Mai at the end of the film aren't much different than the ones that went on a fifteen-minute date on Mai's birthday.
Oct 3, 2019 8:20 PM

Aug 2018
MrAnthrope said:

Those moments were amazing and I'm very glad to have seen them and you're 100 percent right that their relationship did grow. They literally each died for the other. And then they made it so NONE OF THAT EVER HAPPENED. That timeline is gone. So that Sakuta and Mai who had Shoko's puberty syndrome catalyze their relationship to new heights are gone. The Sakuta and Mai at the end of the film aren't much different than the ones that went on a fifteen-minute date on Mai's birthday.

You're not wrong. The only real response would be that the events of the film didn't really create any new feelings so much as it helped them to clarify toward each other what was already there on that 15-minute date (and present in their new-timeline relationship), but I'll admit that's a pretty weak comeback...
Set SCE to AUX
Oct 3, 2019 8:41 PM
Nov 2015
MrAnthrope said:
Black_Sheep97 said:

I have never read the source material but agree that the movie felt a bit bland and cliche. Perhaps I'm too cynical and simply cannot accept a perfect happy ending, but I think that the movie was missing a really anything really poignant in it. There are sad parts, yes. But in the end, regardless of whatever sacrifices are made we end up practically right where we started. In spite of the fact that the characters themselves tell us of the huge changes that could come about because of the final alteration, through convenient contrivances such as dreams and visions, the timeline remains whole. And then, the one (not very sad because we don't really get to know her that well because movies are short) loss that Shoko will be forgotten by our characters, is completely undone because Sakuta gets to remember because... feelings, I guess? It just seems that there ended up being no consequences for anyone's real sacrifices or attempted sacrifices which cheapens the act as a whole. And perhaps I should've seen this coming because of the title, but it's like when you watch anything and all this dramatic stuff happens and it's moving and sad and wonderful and then in the end the protagonist wakes up because it was all a dream.
Don't get me wrong, I loved the series, I will eagerly await an announcement of the 2nd season, but this movie, inspite of being part of Canon and supposed to move the show along, feels like total filler.
I didn't think the movie felt bland or cliches, how the end was resolved and the angst it covered was quite original compared to contemporaries.

A happy ending is more powerful given the journey filled with turmoil and very sad parts and becomes a more poignant moment because of it. I would hardly consider something that strengthens relationships and develops Characters a story without consequences or even filler. Those weren't convenient contrivences they part of the magic system that exists in this world something that was established by the previous storyline.
Oct 3, 2019 10:02 PM

Feb 2014
I saw it tonight, and man, it was great. I did not expect it to be so intense, but holy hell that was heart wrenching. I was on the edge of my seat.

I absolutely loved the first season and this movie lived up to it. It honestly blew my expectations out of the water. It was so great seeing all these characters interact again and seeing the development of Sakuta, Mai, and Shoko was fantastic.

Definitely a 10/10 for me. I hope it gets another season or movie.

tingy said:

Anyways, I really enjoyed the movie. But the atmosphere was definitely heavy the majority of the time, and I cried for like a third of the movie. Even so, there were definitely some humorous moments just like the TV series, which I'm very glad for. I have to agree with Lelouch0202 on that it's the characters that carry the story, allowing me to overlook the plot conveniences. The characters are such a pleasure to watch, I love the whole cast. For example, when Sakuta's friends worry about him, it feels genuine. Futaba continued to show concern for Sakuta's well-being, and Kunimi also coming to get him after seeing that Sakuta had been in pictures relating to Mai.

It was a very emotional movie, and I have even more respect for Sakuta. He really had to make painful decisions, and it must've been heart-wrenching to realize over and over again that there's nothing you can do (but well, we know that he was able to do something). Worst of all, each time he figured out that Shouko was hiding something or knew about everything, you can tell all sorts of emotions went over him in those moments. It must've made him feel that everything he agonized over and the decisions he made was never going to work, Shouko would've made sure that he didn't for her. Despite all the pain he went through, I respect him because he made me realize something in this movie. I'm a caretaker to a sick family member, but it's been really tough battling with my emotions. While Sakuta wasn't one, he cared so much about Shouko, and visited her everyday to the best of his ability. That's really amazing to me. It makes me want to improve myself, to do better. Tbh it could've been any self-sacrificing and caring character, but I don't think I'd feel any other way about this character even if I couldn't relate to him. And ofc, shout-out to Mai, Shouko, and Futaba for all the pain they had to endure in this movie. I'm glad it was a happy ending, although why did I even doubt that wouldn't happen? Due to quantum entanglement (probably, as that's the explanation for almost everything here), Sakuta and Mai were still able to get together. Sakuta also remembered Shouko :')

I also feel like the word "dream" in the title is even more relevant now.

Kenpls said:
Mai ended up starring in a movie about the illness that Shoko had, they used it to spread awareness about organ donation. Which led to Shoko appearing healthy and presumably received a heart from someone else.

That was my only question at the end of the movie, I'm glad someone answered this! Thank you!

This was very well said, I echo a lot of your sentiments. I definitely choked up during this movie.

Also when I go see anime movies, it's usually almost all guys. The only anime movies that I've been to where it was about even was the My Hero Academia movie and Maquia.

DeadlyRavenNov 27, 2019 8:40 PM
Oct 4, 2019 12:38 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
destructo22 said:

What I got out of it was that at first, Sakuta was planning to change the past. BUT his last talk with Shouko leads me to believe that Shouko was the one who went and changed the past, since she told him that although she was thankful for everything, she didn't want to be the source of Sakuta's agony, thus, she will make sure that Sakuta doesn't meet her.

RealMTL said:
I think that might have been your area. In my theater I saw quite a few females. Most of them looked like they had to drag their boyfriends to the theater (which was very funny to watch).
I observed a few females, maybe like 5, and I thought I saw more but some were just long-haired males XD

Spaceship said:

To be fair, from what I've seen it isn't all that different from the demographic proportions for Japanese audiences for these kinds of shows...
That's true, haha

That'd definitely be nice ^^ Although there's plenty of sweet moments already~

LoomyTheBrew said:

This was very well said, I echo a lot of your sentiments. I definitely choked up during this movie.

Also when I go see anime movies, it's usually almost all guys. The only anime movies that I've been to where it was about even was the My Hero Academia movie and Maquia.
There were definitely people wiping their tears and I even heard some sniffling. Wasn't me :P

I think that was the case when I went to watch Boruto, too, actually. Fair point!
Oct 4, 2019 12:55 AM

May 2013
I laughed, I cried, laughed again, and cried again, but at the end of the movie, I found myself clapping my heart out
worth the hour drive to go watch

Oct 4, 2019 5:02 AM

Apr 2015
Not sure the spoiler policy so uh:

overall well worth the ticket price just for the expereince alone, I don't usually get that emotional during series so evidently I love that~ I Just couldn't connect with the ending hahaha.
Oct 4, 2019 5:31 AM

Aug 2008
tingy said:
destructo22 said:

What I got out of it was that at first, Sakuta was planning to change the past. BUT his last talk with Shouko leads me to believe that Shouko was the one who went and changed the past, since she told him that although she was thankful for everything, she didn't want to be the source of Sakuta's agony, thus, she will make sure that Sakuta doesn't meet her.
ahhhhhh, okay. I didn't even think of it like that. she was able to change the future for herself. now I wonder how the rest of the events played out where Mai gets a role in that movie about heart illnesses.
Oct 4, 2019 9:47 AM

Apr 2015
While I had a couple frustrations with the plot, overall I absolutely adored the film. The show itself is a 10/10 for me, something I had never expected to give it going in, and the film served as a wonderful reminder of why I love the story and characters so much. I never cried, but I was damn close at the climax. Of all the potential theories I was crafting as the movie went on, I did not expect
. But it was amazing and served to strengthen Sakuta and Mai's relationships and it was really nice for Futaba and Koga to have some screentime too. :)

8.5 or 9/10
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Very late ik but I DIDNT GET ANYTHING

ElmoBoredAsf - Apr 22

14 by mranifantelugu »»
Apr 25, 9:41 AM

» Can Someone explain me the ending ? ( 1 2 )

Hoshimiya1 - Nov 30, 2019

59 by ryotakki »»
Dec 4, 2023 10:27 PM

» Shouko Makinohara's puberty syndrome

Alka_traz - Dec 28, 2022

14 by Amexia »»
Sep 2, 2023 11:43 PM

» Sequel Format : Movie. Limited Release January 7 on Japan

Dbagas8 - Dec 3, 2022

8 by kotosugu »»
Dec 4, 2022 6:26 AM

» Sequel Confirmed!

_MushiRock11_ - Sep 24, 2022

19 by Mamontt »»
Sep 24, 2022 9:16 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.