Forum Settings
Forums
Happiness
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 9, 2019 1:02 PM

Feb 2016
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
People can dislike this final but i love.
The battle is over.
Show respect for the fallen
who fought so bravely.
Mar 9, 2019 1:42 PM
Oct 2016
Felix-san said:
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
People can dislike this final but i love.

I am with you. Overall, it was a good series.
Mar 9, 2019 1:49 PM

Nov 2011
Huh, it feels like the end of a journey while a new (eternal?) one begins.

A fitting finale actually. Nora and Okazaki will live forever as what they are now.
Mar 9, 2019 1:53 PM

Feb 2013
Pretty nice ending, honestly. Now to wait and see how many months it'll take for this to switch from publishing to finished on here.
Mar 9, 2019 1:55 PM

Aug 2015
The ending was quite underwhelming for me.

So,judging by this final chapter,was makoto successful in reviving Nora in the end?

It looks like the era they are walking in together is atleast a few decades after the death of that bob haired girl.

Still, the series was not bad overall.
Mar 9, 2019 2:59 PM

Jul 2016
This was good. Generally, don't even bother with vampire stories, but started this one because it's the same author of Aku no Hana and turns out this was a good vampire story with a satisfying conclusion.

Finding out Nora's past wasn't really that relevant for the story but it reminds me of Aku no Hana final ending (how they both end with the beginning).
Futari wa Milky Holmes was a mistake
Yoshii did nothing wrong

Mar 9, 2019 4:14 PM

Mar 2014
VERY underwhelming ending, but heck it did what the title called for and that is "Happiness".

7/10
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Mar 9, 2019 7:19 PM

Oct 2008
Dysisa said:
Pretty nice ending, honestly. Now to wait and see how many months it'll take for this to switch from publishing to finished on here.

Yes, MAL is super slow to update series. This will be labeled complete on MAL hopefully sometime next year. Noblesse ended last year and still has yet to be labeled complete
Mar 9, 2019 9:52 PM

Mar 2015
This final chapter was indeed underwhelming. The last few pages were pretty nice, though. Overall the plot could've been fleshed out a little more but it was a decent series nonetheless.
Mar 10, 2019 12:58 AM
May 2017
Looks like the author is trying to lead it ends like Firepunch, but he doesn't elaborate it right. See, immortal char, centuries passed, but it last only in 1 chapter. I'm still upvoting for Flower of Evil.
Mar 10, 2019 1:29 AM
Nov 2018
The ending was laid out similar to other oshimi shuuzou mangas. A pretty good end but not satisfactory enough. Overall, I think I did expect more action towards the end but this probably is the better ending and gave a proper closure to each character which imo was well done. Looking forward to other stuff from this guy (chi no wadachi looks promising as well)
Mar 10, 2019 7:15 AM

Mar 2012
As much as I like Oshimi Shuzo's work, I think this manga was more of a flunk. He said in a past interview something in the lines that he "doesn't want to write for the reader" or "murder the reader with his writing", I don't clearly remember, and, in with that approach in mind, the reader makes a pact about how a lot of his storytelling depends more on getting the underlying tones and the "feeling" instead of following a simple storyline. Even with that mindset, I think this lacked a little more substance to give a solid scaffold to the concept he was trying to work. This just didn't get the same punch as Aku no Hana or Boku wa Mari no Naka (the latter being, to my taste, his best work so far), both of which had a solid (while simple) basic story line to support the more otherworldly bits.

I fear that Chi no Wadachi follows a similar path of "unresolveness", as that story has been building a huge hype since the beginning but sh*t has yet to hit the fan.
Mar 10, 2019 3:26 PM

Feb 2014
Everything ends with a beginning. For all eternity they find to strive for happiness.
Good end.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Mar 10, 2019 10:23 PM

Jan 2017
This is some wholesome ending
I like it.
Mar 11, 2019 12:25 PM

Jan 2013
it was alright. The story became worse after it started off strong though that's for sure. Ending was okay 5/10
Mar 11, 2019 1:24 PM
Aug 2018
wow, this ending sucks.

Overall it was good, but it did start to decline at a certain point. 7/10
Mar 11, 2019 3:46 PM

Dec 2013
Just meeeh fine still.
Mar 11, 2019 7:03 PM

Apr 2016
Ok, I can expand on some of what I wrote in my review here since we all read it and have the spoilers out now.

So Sayu lived for 100s of years and yet he still hunted and fed, but Yuuki who completely gave into the blood almost immediately after being rescued, who killed his own girlfriend because he was so blood thirsty some how attains some kind of peace of mind or stoic nature just because he was locked up for a period of less than 10 years? I thought the rules in the beginning were that the call of blood was overwhelming that it was impossible to function like heroin withdrawals. Yet he becomes mute and completely pacified, and then out of that he wakes up from that <10 year slumber as though he were Buddha.

Why was Gosho obsessed with him? The little brother connection wasn't strong enough and they literally barely spent any time together, the fact that he wasn't a romantic interest but just some shadow of her brother she was chasing was not a realistic human relationship. This author is bad at giving characters motivations for their actions, they become martyrs at the drop of a hat in all of his works.

Other things with Gosho and Suda, how the fuck did they survive? How did she survive twice? He cut her throat that is a death sentence and the size of the scar would suggest the wound was massive. The only thing that could have made sense if she became some half vampire but the author instead decides, oh shit what am I gonna do now? Better bring her back, and he does it twice.

Okazaki randomly waking up and being saved by someone he attempted to kill was also just a plot device that didn't make sense, their relationship again doesn't make sense because they spoke very briefly and the Sayu was trying to kill him, it isn't like with Nora where she bit him and they transferred thoughts through blood and she was made human, he was just fighting with him and barely spent any time together with him. Then to top it off, the author just decides to kill him off and let him fade despite the theme is living on in the hearts of the living/undead.

Then there is the vampirehunting incels, and the very nature of vampirism. Where it spreads exponentially per victim and generation, because they are perfect immortals and their victims result in a new recruit if they survive, the number of vampires will only trend upwards, meaning that in the future more people would know about vampires and there would be more hunters and they would be less safe as technology at this time is advancing, yet at the end the guy is sitting ontop of a tree in broad daylight so even granny gosho can see him. oof

My biggest problem with this story is I don't feel like it ended because the plot progression was so minimal and so mute that I read through 20 chapters and thought ok what happened? And couldn't really find out much of what happened. Art was really cool though.

Mar 11, 2019 7:56 PM

Nov 2018
It was decent, only followed cause vampires are cool. At least Gosho survived. Will watch an anime if it gets one
Mar 12, 2019 4:27 PM

Oct 2015
such an underwhelming ending... and a mediocre manga overall.
⠀     ‧     ⠀
Mar 15, 2019 2:53 PM

Jan 2018
Loved the manga, but the final chapter was kinda meh, I got the same feeling as I did when I read fire punch's finale. Still though, I really loved where this went and I'm probably in the minority when I say almost everything I wanted to happen happened. 9/10.
Mar 17, 2019 8:18 AM

May 2015
It had an interesting concept but feels like it was just it, not so much of a story but some ideas grouped together. I liked the art and it was a good read, but overall a bit underwhelming.
Mar 23, 2019 2:43 PM
May 2015
Damn, this was sad.
Apr 26, 2019 3:28 PM

Jan 2018
For me the very beginning of this manga was very, very promising. As usually art work made by Shuuzou Oshimi-sensei was very good, story line was very interesting, but the end, well by my opinion it was just something like a written/drawn in quickie, just make done it already. That manga has potential to be more spread, I missed so much growing of that vampire girl and releasing promising romantic relationship between MC and Her... Instead we got secondary character as a MC and ending was just like a cut. Not gonna say that the ENDING was bad, but thre could be even more written/drawn....

My signature is coppied from another forum, because currently i don't have nothing better
AlienWare M17X5 (2013-2016), MSI GT73VR 6RF TITAN PRO (2016-Presence)
May 29, 2019 10:17 PM

Dec 2014
this feels incomplete..... ok ending i guess...
May 30, 2019 3:55 PM

Jul 2013
Lmfao wtf, I was catching up, didn't even realize it was ending this soon. I'm disappointing.
Oct 17, 2019 3:35 PM

Oct 2014
I loved Aku no Hana and Boku wa Mari, but this was just terrible. So many things just don’t make sense to me.

• Why did Nora attack Yuki? He reeks of darkness... A LOT of bad things happened because Nora attacked him!
  • How can Gosho survive getting her throat slashed? I was so shocked when I saw she got cut I had take a few moments. I thought Sakurane had ulterior motives but I never suspected he was a PSYCHO KILLER. What happened afterwards? Did she not go to the police and tell them this psycho almost killed her?
  • Sakurane murdered 3 kids when he was a high school student, how did he get out of prison?! He was only locked up for like 8 years. His parents are almost nuttier than he is, Sakurane is cutting up his sister and their response is to ground him in their backyard?! Even after he gets blamed for his sister getting attacked, the same deal, ummm HELLO do something (even if that wasn’t his fault).
  • Gosho again, why would you go back to Sakurane without a plan. That entire ordeal with the torture, captivity, the stabbings, its all infuriating. But there’s no real consequences, Sudo lives, Gosho lives, that kid lives, everyone else conveniently dies.

Nunota is a coward, I don’t really blame him. Nao is... mostly normal. Okazaki is also quite normal, but he’s so invested in Nora out of barely anything. Nora fed him, saved him from Saku’s mercy killing, she made him a vampire (yay...), she attacked his best friend...

This manga sure had some shock moments. That screaming when Okazaki is experimented on, Sakurane being a psycho killer, the thing where Gosho is forced to stab Sudo, the blood straw thing... its all horrifying.
Mar 24, 2020 4:47 PM

Jun 2014
The first half of the manga was great. The second half was pure garbage.

1/10
:3
Jun 6, 2020 12:26 AM
Jun 2020
Ilove how theres so many plotholes that confused you and how the ending giving you blue balls of unsatisfaction so that you'll crave for more.just like how Nora and okazaki search for happiness forever. It's perfect I love this manga. Giving me junji Ito feels
Jul 18, 2020 11:00 PM

May 2015
Fantastic emotional ending. And some truly disturbing scenes along the way. Good stuff.
Aug 11, 2020 2:16 AM

Apr 2016
Why on earth would you revive the woman who caused the whole tragedy?
I am so confused.

A Trail of Blood is great though I guess.
Aug 16, 2020 11:16 AM
Mar 2018
The most 7/10 manga ever. I honestly think that ending it in 50 chapters was quite interesting as I think they could develop this manga into something outstanding. Overall, had a good time just wished some of the characters had more time
Sep 25, 2020 2:57 PM

Jul 2013
I finished the whole thing in two days. The pages went by very fast and I couldn't stop reading.

I'm very satisfied with the ending. The story wasn't without it's faults, as CrazyBear says above, but the ride was unforgettable. The art was great as always, especially these Van Gogh inspired skies. It was nice to see someone try something different in terms of vampire horror.

It should also be noted that in these last 3 chapters every living character finds some sort of "happiness" in his life.
Sep 28, 2020 8:26 AM
Jan 2018
Most be one of those authors that likes to have short series ,

Still not too sure why it focused on ghoso for the rest of the series,but I did like the last chapter where it shows you passage of time but I still think the mc should have at least let his family see him.

Not to sure why we got Noras Back story now though.

And from the looks of it after a hundred or so years nora is resorted and they both continue there external life together
Dec 19, 2020 2:55 PM
Feb 2019
OMG that was soooo good. Loved the ending. Great series. Unique in its own way. Super refreshing to see a good vampire story that isn't echi or filled with stupid highschool cliche shit
Apr 27, 2021 6:36 AM
Feb 2010
This author just can't make a happy ending can he
May 5, 2021 9:58 PM

Jan 2020
It was a fine enough conclusion but I'm glad I've completed it. The art was the thing that's impressed me most overall

Jun 11, 2021 10:22 AM

May 2020
the art syle is so good, some parts made me tear up lol
Aug 9, 2021 9:47 PM

Sep 2020
Another gorgeous manga from Oshimi, Shuuzou. Has bitter sweat end with plenty of plot holes left untouched but overall a good read.
Aug 28, 2021 12:52 PM

Apr 2018
The beginning of a new journey for Makoto and Naro.
Everyone died of old age after struggling in beginning of their lives.
Pretty good ending, really liked it for some reason.

One thing that I just loved from the art was the sky, similar to Van Gogh's ''Starry Night'' painting.

Binged it in a day and goddamn, it was worth it.
The art was truly magnificent. Really liked Yuuki's character after he changed. Sadly, they took his happy side in a flash.

8/10.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Mar 18, 2022 7:33 PM

May 2021
Overall, I enjoyed the story, but I feel like the second half isn't as interesting as the first half. Ending was decent, but not perfect.
Mar 31, 2022 11:49 PM

May 2015
Amazing series, Similar to Aku No Hana. As in I didn't enjoy the second half as much as the first, But it was a good conclusion and its nice to see a different point of view
Kono Giorno Giovana Niwa Yume Ga Aru
May 22, 2022 1:04 AM
Mar 2021
Once again, im a sucker for these types of endings. Kind of bittersweet to just see them all pass away as you live on possibly forever. Definitely could've done with more chapters to polish some stuff since 50 chapters imo is short, but its Oshimu so yea. Overall it was pretty enjoyable but it being this short just hurts. Thanks for the wholesome ending tho. 8/10
Jun 3, 2022 8:40 AM

Jul 2008
Better than Aku no Hana. Very enjoyable, maintained suspense, interesting ensemble cast, some really cool subversive elements, and exceptional art. I liked how when Yuuki wouldn't bite anyone, they just ate him instead. A very tragic ending all around. Makoto says he won't forget anyone, but Nora and Saku had memory problems from being alive for so long. Doesn't look too hopeful for him going into the far future. Very impactful, probably my favourite from Oshimi so far. I'm sure he and Minoru Furuya would make quite the pairing.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Jul 10, 2022 8:18 PM
Mar 2022
it was alright. ending was decent. overall 7/10
Kenji_3Jul 10, 2022 8:21 PM
Sep 16, 2022 10:57 AM
Jan 2022
I liked it for the light easy read that it was. However, this was one of those manga where I knew the ending from the first chapter. Just like Living No Matsunaga.
bobroccoliSep 16, 2022 12:38 PM
Sep 26, 2022 7:37 PM
Nov 2018
it was an interesting read, and a quick one too, there barely was any dialog in the first volumes, but there are plenty of things that bothered me like
the "attraction" or "connection" between nora and okazaki feels forced, out of nowhere she gets interested in him. I got this is somehow explained by the "you make me remember my human life", but how she was so quick to accept such a big change as stop killing people just feel weird, like she was nothing but an accesory to our naive MC even taking a bullet for him despite the fact that she knows herself and him to immortal

and not only that, how come okazaki doesnt feel any anger towards her? since she is the reason he became a fucking vampire and spent ten years being tortured and drugged?

and the fact that despite being vampire, okazaki never really drinks the blood of anyone and still is capable of keep going, dont they need sustenance in order to survive?

okazaki is show to us as a "moral" person yet he goes and frees saku, despite his record of killing people, and his sacrifice feels nonsensical, he goes from trying to kill him to saving him and sacrificing himself to not hinder okazaki escape, and again the reason was "you make me remember", a little bit forced in my opinion

also, the "organization" is capturing them to do what? why he was just drugged while nora was stripped to a brain? why dont they kill them? what benefit was to keep them alive?

besides that, i would say the author is really good at making you feel for the characters, their struggle and suffering, it makes you wish for their happiness, i believe plenty of the points i mention could have been addressed if the manga had a longer run but i dont believe such was the author intention, overall is was good and i recommend it, i give it a 7 out 10

rodmaniiSep 26, 2022 8:58 PM
Oct 31, 2022 12:42 AM

Jun 2020
absolutely no qualms with this one
Dec 8, 2022 1:55 PM
Aug 2020
The entire story felt full of ups and downs. There were many plot holes and characters (Gosho and Sudo in particular) made very stupid choices. Moreover, the conclusion to Yuuki's arc and Okazaki just waking up from sleep was very bad.

That being said had some great moments sometimes. The time skip was a bold move and the fact that everyone dies but Okazaki/Nora walk for all eternity was extremely bitter sweet but well done. Also that last panel of them and the black sky is just ❤
Mar 1, 2023 4:05 AM

Oct 2020
A little bit underwhelming, considering his other works like Aku no hana and Chi no wadachi are so good.
This was basically just Tokyo Ghoul but with vampires instead of ghouls.
I think author wanted to do some commercially big work.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Happiness Chapter 47 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 26, 2018

6 by slorgansmorgan »»
Jan 22, 4:06 PM

Poll: » Happiness Chapter 30 Discussion

Jacksnapp - Jul 24, 2017

10 by nidoqueen106_2 »»
Nov 9, 2023 8:27 AM

» If you love your characters to suffer

removed-user - Oct 19, 2023

4 by 10Animehk »»
Nov 4, 2023 10:59 PM

Poll: » Happiness Chapter 1 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 22, 2015

18 by Stardust1526 »»
Oct 23, 2023 10:27 AM

Poll: » Happiness Chapter 45 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 7, 2018

8 by Adnash »»
Aug 18, 2023 3:07 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.