Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 16, 2008 5:47 PM

Jan 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
this whole tissue thing sounds really stupid to me so i hope they make the match somewhat interesting.
Mar 16, 2008 5:55 PM
Dec 2007
yea i agree plus before he was trying to save his life now he could leave with the money and his life and the only thing thats injured is his pride (and his ear) i think hes shoting himself in the foot by trying to do this
Mar 16, 2008 6:11 PM

Jul 2007
This whole plan sounds really flawed to me. He worked around one of the flaws by removing the lots from the remaining tissue boxes, but i think the chairman and his crew would find it strange that suddenly a big bunch of boxes of tissue were gone.
Then there's the checking the box for a second winning lot, no matter what Kaiji said, there's no way he can bluff his way out of this... i think.
And somehow i'm expecting the chairman to go the fast way to remove the tissues(from the side) from the box as to insert the lots in it, he's not that stupid(right?). What if the subordinate opens it from the side Kaiji inserted the fake lot? He'd be screwed.
The safest way for Kaiji to win without getting caught is for the subordinate to get one of those compact boxes which Kaiji couldn't set up. His chances wouldn't be 100%, but he'd be better off than being caught for cheating.

I really hope there's some nice twist here, because just getting them to take a piece of paper in the box one after another would be kinda boring to watch, as opposed to E-card and Restricted RPS which involved some strategy.
Mar 16, 2008 7:46 PM

Sep 2006
Not much happened in the episode other than establishing the basis for the final gamble, but it did contain the best quote ever:

"Wow... This box is awesome."
Mar 16, 2008 11:12 PM

Feb 2007
Wickio said:

That was the funniest moment of Kaiji yet. And this isn't a comedy.
Mar 16, 2008 11:34 PM

Aug 2007
Can't wait for the final two episodes!

But the tissue box idea is kinda lame though, want to see how Kaiji can win with such a risky idea.
Mar 16, 2008 11:55 PM

Nov 2007
oh man, I am finding this more funny than most comedy anime. a slice of life series like this would be the best thing ever.

as a character study, I thought this was an interesting episode.
Mar 16, 2008 11:59 PM
Dec 2007
Wickio said:

That was the most awesome quote ever.
Mar 17, 2008 12:08 AM

Jun 2007
Best episode about tissue boxes ever.

And tomorrow "This box is awesome" will be a meme.
Mar 17, 2008 10:43 AM

Oct 2007
i agree with the above.... the tissue box idea is kinda lame....
Mar 17, 2008 11:12 AM

Sep 2006
BadSeafood said:

Mar 17, 2008 4:40 PM

Jan 2008
Wickio said:

BadSeafood said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZbPjcXWQDY
AkagiMar 17, 2008 4:45 PM
Mar 17, 2008 5:19 PM

Oct 2007
Yeah, this was one of the weaker episodes of Kaiji, but I still gave it a 5 out of 5 since a weak episode of Kaiji is still much better than everything else airing right now.

They did a really good job of shifting moods in this episode. When Kaiji was explaining how the tissue box idea would work I am thinking to myself that Kaiji is going to beat the chairman, however, after he actually talked to the chairman I am thinking to myself that Kaiji has no shot.

There are just too many flaws with his plan and since the chairman has been through hell himself I'm sure he is going to see through everything that Kaiji does.

Can't wait to see how this plays out.
Mar 17, 2008 5:46 PM

Oct 2007
The whole tissue box idea isn't without its inherent risks, but I don't think it is quite as flimsy an idea as everyone is saying. It works off on how people think subconsciously and I think would work on a lot of people (of course whether it'll work against the chairman remains to be seen.)

jobocan said:
This whole plan sounds really flawed to me. He worked around one of the flaws by removing the lots from the remaining tissue boxes, but i think the chairman and his crew would find it strange that suddenly a big bunch of boxes of tissue were gone.

1. Kaiji doesn't remove the boxes with no lots in them, he leaves them where they are (on the far side of the bathroom) - his thinking being that 9 times out of 10 the black suit would subconsciously select the 'Scattie' tissue boxes (the ones with lots in them), which are closest to the bathroom entrance. Of course there is no surefire 100% guarantee that the black suit would select the 'Scattie' boxes, but even if he doesn't Kaiji still would have a 50/50 chance in the gamble.

jobocan said:

Then there's the checking the box for a second winning lot, no matter what Kaiji said, there's no way he can bluff his way out of this... i think.

2. Kaiji actually has a plan for this - they just didn't explain it in this episode (well they did show him explain it, they just covered up what he was saying). If they play it out like the manga, they will explain it in the next episode, so I don't want to give anything away here...

jobocan said:

And somehow i'm expecting the chairman to go the fast way to remove the tissues(from the side) from the box as to insert the lots in it, he's not that stupid(right?).

3. This is the real problem isn't it? Will the plan stand up against the big boss? Will the chairman see through Kaiji's plan? Or does Kaiji have another plan that he is not telling anyone? I'm not sure whether they will end the show in the same way as the manga, but if they do the last 3 episodes will be one hell of a ride! :)

jobocan said:

What if the subordinate opens it from the side Kaiji inserted the fake lot? He'd be screwed.

4. Again this is what Kaiji is betting on isn't it.. That the black suit won't open it from the side. Again there is no 100% surefire guarantee that he won't, but again I think that this idea isn't as flimsy as everyone seems to think. I mean, you have been told what Kaiji is planning to do, so of course it sounds obvious. But try going up to someone and tell them to open up a tissue box (without telling them anything else) - I can almost guarantee you that 9 times out 10 the person would start pulling tissues from the top. Heck I wouldn't even be surprised if there were a fair few people who don't even know that a tissue box can be opened from the side.

Again a lot of Kaiji's plan depends on the subconscious. It sure isn't 100% fool proof, but sometimes the simpler ideas are best. The thing I like about the tissue box raffle is that this is the only time (in the Gambling Apocalypse series at least) where Kaiji initiates the gamble, rather having the gamble thrust upon him (unlike Restricted RPS, The Beam and E-Card). Kaiji has to think of everything, from what the gamble will be, how to invite the chairman to another gamble, and finally how to topple the chairman. Looking forward to the next episode!
Mar 17, 2008 7:16 PM

Aug 2007
I just discovered the meaning of life by looking at this box, thanks Kaiji!
Mar 17, 2008 9:17 PM

Jun 2007
Wickio said:
BadSeafood said:

Akagi said:

Epic posts, would read again.
Mar 18, 2008 12:33 AM

Sep 2007
I was lol'ing through the first half of the episode, with Kaiji's praise of the tissue box.

Akagi said:

Made of win.
Mar 18, 2008 2:40 AM

Jun 2007
I thought this episode was epic. Kaiji it getting full of himself. He'll need to be taken down a notch. And I'm pretty damn sure that's going to happen in a episode or 2 ^^

HUGE EFFING SPOILERS!
Mar 18, 2008 9:05 AM

Jan 2008
Wickio said:
BadSeafood said:

Akagi said:

LMAO! Epic quote auehaue

kaiji's schemeis seriously lame. And pobrabbly the chairman is going to pick the compact boxes that can't put the paper on the side...
Mar 18, 2008 10:01 AM

Jun 2007
Actually, the Chairman should whip out a box of his own right there.

Zawa Zawa brand.
Mar 18, 2008 10:11 AM

Sep 2007
Faust721 said:

this whole tissue thing sounds really stupid to me so i hope they make the match somewhat interesting.

Agree. I think the only way to make it interesting would be for Kaiji's plan to be foiled right off the bat and he'll have to find a trick through sly improvisation, like on the boat. I actually really wish the other gambles were like restricted RPS, I'm starting to feel slightly disappointed that none of the other gambles even came close to it's epic (except for Kaiji cutting off his ear).

Did you know there's a Phantasy Star Club?
Mar 18, 2008 10:17 AM

Nov 2007
THIS BOX IS AWESOME.

This episode not much. Also, you have changed, Kaiji-san...
Mar 18, 2008 9:36 PM

Feb 2008
After the hell he's been through, he wants to defeat the boss paper towels.
Wuahahahhahahaha
Kaiji must be really stupid, if he thinks the boss will accept that stupid paper towel lottery. Oh, wait, Kaiji thinks the boss is retarted dumb ass fart... That should explain the idea with the box.
Mar 19, 2008 4:09 AM
Nov 2007
Just a box... What inspiritation just from that!
I wonder what he's going to bet?
Mar 20, 2008 3:52 AM
Oct 2007
Yeah...

Not such a great episode...
Mar 21, 2008 7:17 AM

Jan 2008
I think this is going to be the worst part of Kaiji. I don t want Kaiji to cheat. It just doesn t fit him. Hop he won t .
Mar 21, 2008 8:55 AM

Jan 2008
This ep just sets the scene for the next gamble.

That being said, I think the blood loss is getting to him, because his plan is full of holes.

The Chairman is a pretty crafty dude as well.
Mar 22, 2008 8:31 PM

Jun 2007
The chairman's nose looks like a peanut.
The narrator explaining how a tissue box worked was like wtf?
And Kaiji being so amazed about it was... rlly dumb. The whole Idea is dumb, judging by the amount of episodes left, something is not gonna go the way Kaiji planned it. Its kinda pissing me off that its so predictable...

=__=;
magentaanbuMar 22, 2008 8:40 PM

Mar 23, 2008 12:02 AM

Aug 2007
roflmao @ the screenshots^

I agree the chairman's nose DOES look like a Peanut. Mr. Planters??
Mar 23, 2008 9:51 PM

Apr 2007
I'm expecting Kaiji to come out on top of course but this whole tissue box gamble is a bit lame. It will be more intersting if the black suits don't get their tissues from the bathroom but instead from another location. I'd like to know how Kaiji would get out of that one if that were the case.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Mar 27, 2008 2:33 PM

Feb 2008
The first 6 mins or so were really confusing. After that, I thought Kaiji was going to pull a Macguyver stunt =P
I doubt the chairman will play Kaiji's lottery (it's not interesting at all! I want an intense gamble! =P).
Mar 30, 2008 8:14 PM

Jun 2007
If Snake Solid has one, then at least some boxes are awesome.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Aug 28, 2008 1:30 PM

Jun 2008
Wickio said:
BadSeafood said:

Akagi said:

Those made me laugh so hard! First thing that has made me laugh in a long time. Thanks for posting those <3
Feb 9, 2009 4:41 PM

Jun 2008
This dosent sound good....
Aug 29, 2009 6:43 PM

Feb 2009
Wickio said:

This is ridiculous!

Dec 14, 2009 1:45 PM

Apr 2009
Well at least I'm not the only one that thinks Kaiji's plan is ridiculous...
Mar 23, 2010 10:56 AM
Jul 2008
The most awesome box in history!
Jul 30, 2010 9:40 AM

Dec 2008
The tissue box plan is just plain ridiculous. Also, was that the first time he has ever seen one? He seriously didn't know they could be opened on the sides?

Let's hope there's some kind of twist in the final battle.
Aug 5, 2010 8:05 AM

Jan 2010
Kaiji's way over his head. He should just walk away take the money cook some omelette's and fuck the girl on the convenience store.
Nov 13, 2010 5:04 PM

Jun 2008
Wickio said:

I had to pause here. Oh my god.

this episode overall really wasn't the best.
Dec 3, 2010 7:57 AM

May 2010
Kaiji really thinks outside the awesome box.. LOL

But when I knew his plan about cheating..

It doesn't feel good..

But I hope there's an epic twist there..
Sep 3, 2011 10:17 PM

Aug 2008
Poor Kaiji u__u he's gone off the deep end. "This box is awesome." Really Kaiji, REALLY? >_>
Sep 6, 2011 4:19 PM

Jun 2009
Yeah, Kaiji is screwing himself over.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 1, 2011 7:42 PM

Oct 2011
This is such a stupid plan...........
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 18, 2012 8:51 PM

Dec 2009
Most genius plan I have ever heard in my life. lol. Really though, I think he needs to get some rest before he comes up with anymore ideas.
Jun 27, 2014 5:19 AM

Jun 2012
I was actually expecting a lot more from Kaiji but he only planned to cheat. :/ He isnt a genius. Im a little sad he didnt meet my expectations but he can still prove me wrong.

Also I love the chairman's view on losing.
Sep 11, 2014 2:55 AM

Nov 2013
Those first 5 or so minutes really had me confused. Right as Kaiji's leaving with 20 million yen, he's still not satisfied with his victory and suddenly out of nowhere creates a lottery game out of a tissue box just so he can get a cheap win from the chairman risking losing all his money. This can only end bad for Kaiji. Almost guraranteed he's gonna start off the second season completely broke.
FunnyRatmanSep 11, 2014 3:00 AM

Dec 24, 2014 5:57 PM

Jun 2014
5minutes in: why the fuck do we care about a tissue box and how its constructed? "Its the perfect situation" "This box is amazing" "omfg these are the same paper towels tonegawa used"
Dec 24, 2014 5:57 PM

Jun 2014
5minutes in: why the fuck do we care about a tissue box and how its constructed? "Its the perfect situation" "This box is amazing" "omfg these are the same paper towels tonegawa used"
Jan 28, 2015 9:02 AM
Mar 2009
Okay this has to be the most fascinating tissue box ever.

I think this episode was inspired by someone either tripping or just being really bored and staring at tissue boxes and other common household objects, and then challenging themselves to make the time into the seeds of a product... which I guess they did, so, that shows great completion ability, to take an idea into a product, make it, sell it, and presumably get paid for it both in mammon and in esteem.

Truly, the real here of this anime is the team who developed such a mundane concept into an exciting one.

Also, they can do this later after going to the hospital. I know Japanese people are polite, but, by now those people who were crawling on the floor in pain, and Kaiji himself, should have realized that there will be another day, another chance, and it might be best to get patched up and healed rather than draw this on even longer.

I mean, even the chairman is tired and all he did was sit and laugh for the whole time. Everyone else defied death at least once, and gained various serious injuries.

So I overall have to give it 5/5 but on paper it is just 3/5... just... could not help but be caught up in the manifest amazement at the tissue box so those subtle timing, presentation, and pacing details in the writing and animation direction really worked.

Get these people to do educational materials about math an nobody will ever fail to grasp calculus, probabilities, or statistics, ever again! They can make anything engaging!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Torisunanohokori - Mar 4, 2008

121 by NostalgiaDrive94 »»
May 14, 12:35 PM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Exelen - Apr 1, 2008

221 by klukva2077 »»
May 5, 8:01 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 25, 2007

76 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 2:42 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 14, 2007

90 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 2:20 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 12, 2007

67 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 1:57 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.