Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 9, 2016 11:03 AM

Feb 2015
I read some Youtube comments today and there was this guy who claimend Casca was always white in the manga and the 1997 wasn't actually adapting her skin properly but Berserk 2016 does it properly.

I always thought Casca was supposed to be black or at least pretty dark skinned in the manga, but apparantly she only had a tan? What do you think about this statement? To me it sounds like one of these crazy Berserk defenders who claim that the new anime is actually a masterpiece.... o.O
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 9, 2016 11:34 AM

Dec 2014
She IS pretty dark skinned. Anyone can look up a pic from the manga on google and realize this.

There is even a cover where she is colored, and it's clearly not just a tan.
Jul 9, 2016 11:36 AM

Dec 2010
yes, she was always brown
Jul 9, 2016 11:40 AM

Jul 2011
She is depicted as tan skinned both on the volume covers and in Berserk artbooks.

In the OP she looks somewhat tan to me and I don't believe we've seen the CG model yet, so I'm not sure what the "controversy" is about though.
Jul 9, 2016 11:50 AM

Aug 2015
She was white when Guts joins the band and she is tanned after the 3 years time skip. Here:

Casca before the time skip

Casca after the time skip
Jul 9, 2016 4:33 PM

Sep 2014
casca is brown skinned not really "black" as in a black person. as i understand about animation and drawings dark skin people are pretty difficult to do and getting them the right shade doesnt always work out let alone gets them consistent. more specifically if they're a more "medium shade of brown rather than a "hard" dark person. sometimes casca is shaded in other times she isnt

(some NSFW)

in the early parts of the manga is was just very inconsistent in numerous of shots she is tanned and in others she just isnt. it isnt even just casca either though i remember other characters such as Silat who was clearly a brown "middle eastern" style man would sometimes just not be tanned
Jul 9, 2016 4:37 PM
Jan 2016
JonasTheJay said:
I read some Youtube comments today and there was this guy who claimend Casca was always white in the manga and the 1997 wasn't actually adapting her skin properly but Berserk 2016 does it properly.

I always thought Casca was supposed to be black or at least pretty dark skinned in the manga, but apparantly she only had a tan? What do you think about this statement? To me it sounds like one of these crazy Berserk defenders who claim that the new anime is actually a masterpiece.... o.O

The statement is completely false, simple as that.

ovy7 said:
She was white when Guts joins the band and she is tanned after the 3 years time skip. Here:

Casca before the time skip

Casca after the time skip

Nope, I had to dig up this old potato-quality scanlation of the original, but she was quite clearly tan-skinned even when Guts joined:

Whoever did the cleaning for that first image you linked clearly went too crazy with the contrast and accidentally wiped out her skin tone.
Jul 11, 2016 1:30 AM

Oct 2015
Pretty much all the characters are Japanese.
Miura made up the characters of the band of the hawk based on his friends and their mentalities.
There isnt a black character except that rapist Donovan I believe.
Casca is a typical representation of the tomboyish Japanese rural girl.
If anybody read Japanese literature they would know this.
Casca going from tanned to white, IMO shows her from going to the fields/being not a woman, to becoming a woman. At least from a Japanese perspective. They wanted to make her more womanly/feminine, and in the manga its exactly the same (white skin, long hair).

People who even talk about this issue are American sick in the head liberals, who have sadomasochistic urge to see White supremacism everywhere and attack people.
Look at their posts on this forum, they will enter any thread and say "Why was Casca white washed?".
Its an American sickness, kind of a subculture now. Self hate.
Jul 11, 2016 4:05 AM
Jan 2016
lancer35 said:
Casca going from tanned to white, IMO shows her from going to the fields/being not a woman, to becoming a woman. At least from a Japanese perspective. They wanted to make her more womanly/feminine, and in the manga its exactly the same (white skin, long hair).

Except she's never pale-skinned in the manga.
MysteriousBananaJul 11, 2016 10:07 PM
Jul 11, 2016 7:04 AM

Jun 2009
Whether Casca is black or whatever, I don't give a shit. It's not about some whitewashing or what ever to me it's "is the way she looks consistent with the manga?" and the answer is a resounding "NO". Then again Farnese and especially Guts don't look right either, of the major characters Serpico and Puck look the best so far, so it's not just Casca. It's just, aesthetically speaking, Casca has one of the more beautiful and unique designs in the manga I can think of so, yeah, a shame.

I'm interested in when we see her present day, though.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 11, 2016 12:10 PM
Apr 2016
I won't be quoted on it, but I always thought she was hispanic. Not black or anything, yest, east-european, like, south france, spain, or maybe even portugal. since she had a light tan and black hair.
Anyway, after the old series and the movies, it looked really weird to see her so pale/white in the intros now.
Jul 11, 2016 5:32 PM

Apr 2010
lancer35 said:
Miura made up the characters of the band of the hawk based on his friends and their mentalities.

People who even talk about this issue are American sick in the head liberals, who have sadomasochistic urge to see White supremacism everywhere and attack people.
Look at their posts on this forum, they will enter any thread and say "Why was Casca white washed?".

Bravo, best answer!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 11, 2016 5:53 PM

Aug 2013
depends by what you mean black. black as in the ethnic group of african descent? then no. just like no one on the show would be white as in the ethnic group of European descent. that's because this takes place in fictitious world that's based on but doesn't mirror our own. there is no africa & there is no europe.

however, if you mean genetically black as in born with dark skin. then yes, she is definitely depicted as black.
dragonofmarsJul 11, 2016 6:03 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 11, 2016 5:56 PM

Jun 2014
She was most absolutely a dark skinned individual at the very least, there is no debating that from the shading in the manga.

Berserk is fantasy, there are no nationalities in it, trying to argue she's Japanese or African is pointless.
Jul 11, 2016 6:37 PM
Jan 2016
jppcouto said:
lancer35 said:

Bravo, best answer!

How the hell is trying to twist the issue into some social/political BS and lying about how she's depicted in the manga the "best answer"? o_O
Jul 11, 2016 9:51 PM

Sep 2014
MysteriousBanana said:
jppcouto said:

Bravo, best answer!

How the hell is trying to twist the issue into some social/political BS and lying about how she's depicted in the manga the "best answer"? o_O

she looks awfully shaded.....
SPOILERS
MaloghurstJul 11, 2016 10:20 PM
Jul 11, 2016 10:04 PM
Oct 2010
Jerkhov said:
She was most absolutely a dark skinned individual at the very least, there is no debating that from the shading in the manga.

Berserk is fantasy, there are no nationalities in it, trying to argue she's Japanese or African is pointless.

There are nationalities in it, just not real life ones. Also yeah Casca was definitely brown skin, whether it was due to her being a slave/fighter and always being outdoors is up for debate, but she was always brown skin.
Jul 11, 2016 10:09 PM
Jan 2016
Maloghurst said:
MysteriousBanana said:

SPOILERS

Indeed, anyone with a pair of eyes and access to the manga can see as much.

Those images aren't loading, by the way. I don't think the manga reader you're linking likes people hotlinking their images.
Jul 11, 2016 10:13 PM

Sep 2014
MysteriousBanana said:
Maloghurst said:

SPOILERS

Indeed, anyone with a pair of eyes and access to the manga can see as much.

Those images aren't loading, by the way. I don't think the manga reader you're linking likes people hotlinking their images.
wierd because they work for me. the site i go for berserk had been reliable for me for over 10 years, and they've had problems or two before but they still kickin.

edited the pics uploads try again
MaloghurstJul 11, 2016 10:21 PM
Jul 11, 2016 10:26 PM
Jan 2016
Maloghurst said:
wierd because they work for me. the site i go for berserk had been reliable for me for over 10 years, and they've had problems or two before but they still kickin.

edited the pics uploads try again

Ah, I see why they weren't working, for some reason I had to go over to site and put it on NoScript's allowed list before the linked images would show up here. My bad.
Jul 11, 2016 10:29 PM

Sep 2011
Casca is from the border town with the Kushan empire. She's not black, more like Indian.
Jul 11, 2016 11:54 PM

Mar 2014
Jerkhov said:

Because Kushan is the same race as Midland?
Jul 12, 2016 12:36 AM

Sep 2009
She turned pale from being raped by Femto.
Jul 12, 2016 1:19 AM

Oct 2014
I'm pretty sure she's still Japanese, but one with darker skin. There are other Asians who have dark skin and there are also a fairly high number of Japanese people who are half Brazilian so a Japanese person with dark skin isn't too big of a deal. In the currently airing New Game! we have Umiko who has dark skin but clearly isn't African.
Jul 12, 2016 2:06 AM

Mar 2014
MysteriousBanana said:
jppcouto said:

Bravo, best answer!

Because people who don't know how to think for themselves and comprehend literature usually agree with the most expressive post, no matter how sophistic it is.
Jul 12, 2016 2:12 AM

Oct 2015
This could pretty much be Casca :D
Japanese Tomboy.

Jul 12, 2016 8:31 AM

May 2010
Maloghurst said:
MysteriousBanana said:

SPOILERS

Right. Fact of the matter is, no matter how you argue. Cascas skin color is misrepresented in this anime. We can argue whether shes black or white all day. All we know is that she has brown skin.
Jul 12, 2016 8:32 AM

May 2010
FullmetalCarrot said:
Casca is from the border town with the Kushan empire. She's not black, more like Indian.

This. Casca can be compared to a middle eastern girl.... although some can argue that ALL heavily melaninated people are "black" because of similar ancestral origins
YouniverSoulJul 12, 2016 9:05 AM
Jul 12, 2016 8:39 AM

May 2010
This right here should be the end of this discussion. Here is a Painting from Kentaro Miura Himself.

Here is how Casca looks in the new anime

Its VERY obvious and very saddening that Casca has been whitewashed in this anime.
Jul 12, 2016 10:18 AM

Jul 2009
This is a change clearly only made to make her more appealing to a general Japanese male audience.

I expect that sort of stuff from far lesser series but not from Berserk. The manga for example sure as hell doesn't appear afraid to step on any ones toes which is part of (for me at least) that makes it such a masterpiece.

Just one of many things that shows that those responsible behind this adaption got their priorities completely ass backwards.
MezziazJul 12, 2016 10:26 AM
Jul 12, 2016 11:28 AM

Apr 2010
ziggy_Z said:
MysteriousBanana said:

Because people who don't know how to think for themselves and comprehend literature usually agree with the most expressive post, no matter how sophistic it is.

lol morons, just wanted to say that I approve everything "Lancer35" said. You are the ones with mental problems.
Jul 12, 2016 6:52 PM
Jan 2016
jppcouto said:
ziggy_Z said:

lol morons, just wanted to say that I approve everything "Lancer35" said. You are the ones with mental problems.

So are you saying you approve of him trying to twist the issue and lying about the manga, or that you're just approving anything Lancer35 says without actually reading what he says?
Jul 12, 2016 7:10 PM
Apr 2016
She is and always was dark skinned, there's no aruging about that.

lancer35 said:

Just because he allegedly based their persoanlity on his Japanese friends doesn't make the characters themselves Japanese.

What is wrong with you?
Jul 12, 2016 8:47 PM

Sep 2014
Benevolance said:
Maloghurst said:

SPOILERS

Right. Fact of the matter is, no matter how you argue. Cascas skin color is misrepresented in this anime. We can argue whether shes black or white all day. All we know is that she has brown skin.
the majority of this thread has been supurfluous at best. it's not a matter of real world ethnicity. none of those are present in the series. we dont call Scar in FMA Arabian for example. the question is whether or not casca is a dark skinned character. there are dark skinned people in the berserk world. simple as that. fans are upset because this anime decide to make a random cosmetic change to a character that they've been emotionally attached to for what could possibly be over 10 years.
Jul 12, 2016 9:21 PM

Mar 2014
MysteriousBanana said:
jppcouto said:

So are you saying you approve of him trying to twist the issue and lying about the manga, or that you're just approving anything Lancer35 says without actually reading what he says?
Yes..................................
Jul 14, 2016 6:10 AM

Mar 2009
Ston3_FreeN7 said:
Whether Casca is black or whatever, I don't give a shit. It's not about some whitewashing or what ever to me it's "is the way she looks consistent with the manga?" and the answer is a resounding "NO". Then again Farnese and especially Guts don't look right either, of the major characters Serpico and Puck look the best so far, so it's not just Casca. It's just, aesthetically speaking, Casca has one of the more beautiful and unique designs in the manga I can think of so, yeah, a shame.

I'm interested in when we see her present day, though.

Yep. This is exactly how I feel.
And it's just baffling to me that they would suddenly change her skin tone here, when in every single adaptation so far(previous anime AND games), she's had darker skin. Why now? Why would they suddenly change her skin color? It makes no sense. Whether people want to talk about how it's whitewashing, or we're all SJWs for being angry about this, whatever. But it's about being accurate to the manga.

All the screenshots we've seen of her in this anime so far, it almost appears as if she's glowing(look at the one in this thread). It's so strange looking.
Jul 14, 2016 9:03 AM

May 2011
Who actually cares, the anime is shitty anyway.
Jul 15, 2016 8:12 AM

Oct 2011
Just saw the preview for episode 4:
http://i.imgur.com/PWiDH0J.png

It seems it was just a weird filter during the flashbacks.
She clearly has darker skin in the preview of episode 4.
Jul 15, 2016 12:44 PM

Mar 2014
The whole thing is incredibly inconsistent, just like everything else in this anime.

The description of the picture posted above my post says "whitewashing eh? F-ing idiots" but there's no denying that in like almost EVERY other shot so far it was just unclear what the color of her skin really was and that never should have been a thing in the first place. I still call BS on the "dramatic lighting" thing, she's still too pale in the OP

Either the studio changed it after all the negativity or they planned this from the beginning, but why be so vague about it if she was going to have dark skin anyway? It's not like they couldn't see this sh#tstorm coming....
Jul 15, 2016 5:59 PM

Nov 2014
Mezziaz said:
This is a change clearly only made to make her more appealing to a general Japanese male audience.

I expect that sort of stuff from far lesser series but not from Berserk. The manga for example sure as hell doesn't appear afraid to step on any ones toes which is part of (for me at least) that makes it such a masterpiece.

Just one of many things that shows that those responsible behind this adaption got their priorities completely ass backwards.

Same thoughts I'm having about this adaptation. It's good to know someone has such a clear view about things.

Jul 15, 2016 8:37 PM

Sep 2014
LauraBirdie said:
The whole thing is incredibly inconsistent, just like everything else in this anime.

The description of the picture posted above my post says "whitewashing eh? F-ing idiots" but there's no denying that in like almost EVERY other shot so far it was just unclear what the color of her skin really was and that never should have been a thing in the first place. I still call BS on the "dramatic lighting" thing, she's still too pale in the OP

Either the studio changed it after all the negativity or they planned this from the beginning, but why be so vague about it if she was going to have dark skin anyway? It's not like they couldn't see this sh#tstorm coming....
my theory is that they were lazy and didnt want to have to darken her. it falls in line with some of the other questionable decisions made in this anime so far....
Jul 16, 2016 10:38 AM

Dec 2013
lancer35 said:

oh please do tell, what kind of Japanese person is blonde, blue-eyed Judeau based on?
how about Pippin?
or even Griffith?

he might have based their personalities on his friends, but they clearly aren't Japanese, because Japan isn't a thing in Berserk's fictional geography.

also, how is Caska being raped into retardation and having the mental state of a small child thematically in line with her becoming "more womanly" and "not working in the fields anymore"?
please explain that too.
Jul 16, 2016 10:49 AM

Oct 2015
Malfegor said:

oh please do tell, what kind of Japanese person is blonde, blue-eyed Judeau based on?
how about Pippin?
or even Griffith?

he might have based their personalities on his friends, but they clearly aren't Japanese, because Japan isn't a thing in Berserk's fictional geography.

also, how is Caska being raped into retardation and having the mental state of a small child thematically in line with her becoming "more womanly" and "not working in the fields anymore"?
please explain that too.

Japanese draw themselves quite different when it comes to anime/manga, its a controversial topic in itself. Most Japanese see anime as fantasy version of the world, so they don't expect the characters to look realistic. By the way I will look for that quote by Miura but he even specifically mentions Pippin/Griffith/Judeau/etc being the people in his "Posse" in his youth not just in personality but looks.

As to your second question...
Not saying that the rape somehow made her more mature specifically, but its all part of a series of events that do. Basically from the days of the band of the hawk, to the time when she had to lead the band when Guts left, to the eclipse, and finally over the months after her rape...She isnt the naive youthful full of energy little girl anymore, she is a broken older woman. Not "Old" by any means, just not the teen she was before. By the way this is also true for Guts who is a shadow of who he was during the band of the hawk period (he looks 40 in manga despite being in his 20s, due to his white hair and tough look).
Jul 16, 2016 10:51 AM

Apr 2013
Malfegor said:
lancer35 said:

how about Pippin?
or even Griffith?

please explain that too.

Now this is a legit post

Anybody who isn't fucking BLIND would know casca is dark skinned.

That coloured image from the author himself should make all theories of this irrelevant

@lancer35 kill yourself you fucking dumb weeb
Jul 16, 2016 10:55 AM

Dec 2013
How hard can it be ? read the manga you'll see her skin color.

Syrup-
Trust me when I give you this profound answer:
It's shit.

Jul 16, 2016 11:22 AM

Dec 2013
lancer35 said:
Malfegor said:

how about Pippin?
or even Griffith?

please explain that too.

Japanese draw themselves quite different when it comes to anime/manga, its a controversial topic in itself. Most Japanese see anime as fantasy version of the world, so they don't expect the characters to look realistic. By the way I will look for that quote by Miura but he even specifically mentions Pippin/Griffith/Judeau/etc being the people in his "Posse" in his youth not just in personality but looks.

As to your second question...
Not saying that the rape somehow made her more mature specifically, but its all part of a series of events that do. Basically from the days of the band of the hawk, to the time when she had to lead the band when Guts left, to the eclipse, and finally over the months after her rape...She isnt the naive youthful full of energy little girl anymore, she is a broken older woman. Not "Old" by any means, just not the teen she was before. By the way this is also true for Guts who is a shadow of who he was during the band of the hawk period (he looks 40 in manga despite being in his 20s, due to his white hair and tough look).

but Japanese artists drawing themselves differently just confirms that there's no reason why Caska needs to look or be Japanese or some specific variation of it.

and yea, Caska matured when forced to lead the Band of the Hawk, but this isn't some "farmer working in the field"-to-"princess living a castle" transition. She was always a hard-ass mercenary, fighting to survive.
shifting tan just doesn't fit into this thematically.

my biggest problem with this entire thing isn't some "SJW whitewashing" issue, it's the fact that some art director at that studio decided that "well, i'm not attracted to brown chicks, so she's white now" was more important than staying true to this legendary manga.
There's no deeper symbolism behind it.

Caska was clearly always drawn darker skinned than the other characters in the manga, maybe not "black" per se, but middle eastern or Mediterranean or some other real world variation of it. And no one in the Berserk fandom had a problem with it, but someone at the studio did.
Most people in the fandom always enjoyed that Caska looked and behaved a bit differently than your typical anime girl.

Which just confirms the suspicion i already had that the animation studio Berserk was handed to doesn't really give much of a shit about the franchise in the first place, and that's a bit of a problem and will make for a sub par adaptation in the long run.

At least Caska looked brown again in the preview for ep4, so hopefully this was one issue that was rectified and we can put this discussion behind us.
MalfegorJul 16, 2016 11:28 AM
Jul 16, 2016 11:59 AM

Jan 2011
I'm not really familiar with Berserk outside one of my friends loving the old anime. I have looked into this...and I just think the poor art and animation is the reason she looks white. I don't chalk this up to whitewashing, but moreso bad artwork.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Jul 16, 2016 12:17 PM

Jul 2008
GD1551 said:
Jerkhov said:

There are nationalities in it, just not real life ones. Also yeah Casca was definitely brown skin, whether it was due to her being a slave/fighter and always being outdoors is up for debate, but she was always brown skin.

If I'm not remembering wrong she was kept inside for quite some time right after the Golden Age arc though, if she was fair skinned but had a tan from being outside a lot it should also become lighter again when not outside for a long time.

Jul 16, 2016 7:46 PM
Jan 2016
Nickienator said:
GD1551 said:

If I'm not remembering wrong she was kept inside for quite some time right after the Golden Age arc though, if she was fair skinned but had a tan from being outside a lot it should also become lighter again when not outside for a long time.

If she was fair skinned and just got a tan from being on the battlefield all the time, then only her face and hands should be tanned, not her entire body (which is shown several times throughout the manga and at various ages, always with tanned skin). She doesn't go riding into battle buck naked or sunbath to keep an even tan, y'know.
Jul 16, 2016 8:02 PM

May 2010
Maloghurst said:
LauraBirdie said:

my theory is that they were lazy and didnt want to have to darken her. it falls in line with some of the other questionable decisions made in this anime so far....

My theory is that the studio received a huge backlash causing them to make some quick changes.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why does berserk, one of the greatest manga has such a shitty anime adaptation?

IMortaI - Aug 14, 2023

32 by StyxParadise »»
Jun 6, 6:57 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2016

182 by Dractune »»
May 12, 10:25 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2016

990 by Bruh69XD »»
Apr 30, 7:28 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2016

231 by Qtaro91_original »»
Mar 24, 4:38 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2016

118 by Alphanumerische »»
Nov 28, 2023 12:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.