Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 19, 2013 7:02 PM
Mar 2013
Itagaki's loss was unfortunate and appealing to the judge in mid-battle probably wasn't the smartest idea.

But I can't find too much blame in him for that. It is his coach's job to make sure he knows all the ropes and rules before going into the ring, and his coach failed at doing that.

Also, while I think Ippo's words were harsh, I realized that they were perfect because it was Itagaki's first pro match.

It's not like Itagaki lost anything from this match because he didn't have anything going into it, unlike Ippo who had to restart everything from scratch after losing to Eiji.

All that aside, I'm surprised and in disbelief over Takamura's appearance. They say that pro boxing is unpredictable but I'd say Takamura is even more so.

But I know that Takamura will win. If he's going to lose, it's going to be against an opponent that he wants to fight not to some random challenger after his belt.
Oct 22, 2013 9:47 PM

Dec 2011
Poor Itagaki...I feels for you brotha

Jan 24, 2014 8:01 AM

Jun 2009
Feb 23, 2014 4:37 PM

Nov 2013
what the heck were the seconds doing?! Like why is it when Ippo's in a pinch they're always there to set him right, but for Kimura and Itagaki they don't reach out at all.
Aug 13, 2014 11:38 AM

May 2012
Foul play and lol wut that ending? He sure changed xD I do wonder what the match next up will be like with him being like that!
Nov 10, 2014 8:28 PM

Jul 2012
LOLOLOL @ Takamura

Also :( Itagaki's match boooo
Mar 5, 2015 8:50 AM

Jul 2012
Ippo gave some unexpected harsh words. Looks like Itagaki needs more time to adapt to the pro level.

Takamura seems like he's about to lose in the first round o__o;
Oct 31, 2015 1:41 PM
Nov 2014
Paranoid Takamura is bloody hilarious, I blame Aoki for feeding him that sea slater. Did not know that being constipated can turns you into a rotten old man xD.
Mar 28, 2016 4:18 PM

Aug 2013
Damn, this Itagaki sub plot is actually really well done. I think it's probably the most realistic and relatable arc in the series so far.

On the one hand, I agree with Ippo that in boxing you always have to have a killer instinct and be ready for anything, but on the other hand Itagaki's right in that it was fucking bullshit that guy could just cheat however he wanted, and it was his first match ever so it was a huge wakeup call.

And shit, Takamura looks horrible. Not sure if this'll be a gag fight or not, but looking forward to it either way
May 12, 2016 2:41 AM

Dec 2010
does anyone happen to know the name of the soundtrack that starts playing when itagaki enters the ring for his debut match?
Jun 2, 2016 6:24 PM
Dec 2010
That whole "It's not illegal as long as the referee don't see it" thing is stupid. It's hard to take boxing seriously as a sport if that's the case. (At least in this anime, I don't know if it also applies to real life boxing).
Jul 2, 2016 4:48 PM

Jan 2013
Ohhhhhhhhhhh noooooooo this can't be Takamura's first loss.
Nice set up. Too bad Itagaki had that experience, may not be able to bounce back.

9000th FORUM POST, I'VE MADE IT INTO THE TOP 1%
Jun 7, 2017 11:23 AM

Mar 2013
What happened with Itagaki was unfortunate and it was his debut match no less!

Lmao at Takamura's entry XD
Dec 18, 2017 7:51 PM

Feb 2016
Dicklesworth said:
Damn, this Itagaki sub plot is actually really well done. I think it's probably the most realistic and relatable arc in the series so far.
[...]

I agree, really interesting take about brilliant amateur boxers who need to adapt to pro not in quality because they already have it, but in mentality and gym work.

xizor said:
That whole "It's not illegal as long as the referee don't see it" thing is stupid. It's hard to take boxing seriously as a sport if that's the case. (At least in this anime, I don't know if it also applies to real life boxing).

It applies in real boxing, but also in other sports. The mistake of Itagaki wasn't to tell the referee that his rival was cheating, that was ok, his problem was to be distracted by that and lose the focus on the fight, and to talk with the referee when it wasn't the right moment. This fight has some kind of similarity with a later real fight -> Lomachenko vs. Salido, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eGX7MqpzSQ where Lomachenko probably the best amateur boxer of all history lost in his second pro fight vs Salido who was miles away behind the level of Lomachenko, but who was in pro boxing for many years and used all the dirty tricks that Loma wasn't used in amateur fights. That experience was very useful for him and he learned to return the dirty tricks, to make the ref noticing about it and to have more ring generalship, and right now he's ranked top 5 p4p for anyone (for me one of the two better boxers of the world).

I'm really liking New Challenger right now, it started pretty bad but it's getting better with every chapter, it also has many details that confirm George Morikawa knows about real boxing. I hope Itagaki gets more serious and doesn't end making things like when Ortiz got KO'd for wanting to hug Mayweather without any motive. https://youtu.be/ieJPRhlkVh4
Nov 25, 2018 10:16 PM

Oct 2012
That poster though.. Takamura naked and have a pair of wings xD

It's fair if the referee didn't see that. Fair enough
The problem is the referee never see anything, same person over and over
Never see a single fault
Boxing is doomed from the start because of rigged decisions, you can bribe the referee easily too

Takamura is in pinch!
"Signature removed"
Jun 17, 2019 8:32 AM

Jul 2015
Feeling sorry for Itagaki, that was a shitty way to lose, can't believe so many people are blind.
Damn I can believe everybody can have a bad day, but this takes it to a whole other level.

Feb 11, 2020 1:53 PM

Apr 2016
I can understand everything happened but it’s very sad Itakagi has lost in that way. Takamura...xD
Mar 15, 2020 11:22 AM

May 2015
This referee is blind as fuck.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Apr 22, 2020 5:49 AM

Nov 2018
There were similarities, but now I clearly see that Itagaki is just another Miyata, but without fighting spirit.
I hate everyone equally
Apr 22, 2020 5:55 AM

Nov 2018
Team Kamogawa looked more like Clownogawa this episode.Hope Takamura won't lose.
I hate everyone equally
Jan 7, 2021 1:43 PM

Nov 2016
They did Itagaki dirty, but this is a good lesson for him.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 19, 2021 6:55 AM

May 2016
Tonight's definitely not Kamogawa Gym's night with how things have been going for them. I feel especially bad for Itadaki since his debut's become a rude awakening more than anything else.

The Isopod Curse got to Takamura lmao

Jun 2, 2021 12:55 PM

Aug 2014
xizor said:

It's not stupid, it's bullshit. Even though it happens in many sports and it's understandabe
Terajima said:
Dicklesworth said:
[...]

I agree, really interesting take about brilliant amateur boxers who need to adapt to pro not in quality because they already have it, but in mentality and gym work.

xizor said:

It applies in real boxing, but also in other sports. The mistake of Itagaki wasn't to tell the referee that his rival was cheating, that was ok, his problem was to be distracted by that and lose the focus on the fight, and to talk with the referee when it wasn't the right moment. This fight has some kind of similarity with a later real fight -> Lomachenko vs. Salido, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eGX7MqpzSQ where Lomachenko probably the best amateur boxer of all history lost in his second pro fight vs Salido who was miles away behind the level of Lomachenko, but who was in pro boxing for many years and used all the dirty tricks that Loma wasn't used in amateur fights. That experience was very useful for him and he learned to return the dirty tricks, to make the ref noticing about it and to have more ring generalship, and right now he's ranked top 5 p4p for anyone (for me one of the two better boxers of the world).

I'm really liking New Challenger right now, it started pretty bad but it's getting better with every chapter, it also has many details that confirm George Morikawa knows about real boxing. I hope Itagaki gets more serious and doesn't end making things like when Ortiz got KO'd for wanting to hug Mayweather without any motive. https://youtu.be/ieJPRhlkVh4

Really? This episode felt bad. If they want to drive home the point of differences between amateur boxers and pro boxers they could've done it differently and better. In this ep the cheating was hilariously obvious and repeating but of course the ref didn't notice and neither did the crowd. The amateur then gets boo'd off stage by the crowd, and in his worst moment his most trusted gym mate tells him it's all his fault.
I mean even if it was, that's not what you tell him at that moment. Explain it, sure. Don't say "nah it's all your fault" after the referee fucked up and the audience failed to notice something so hilariously obvious.
Jun 5, 2021 5:39 AM

Feb 2016
@sockerdricka
I had to return fast to what happened here (since I'm up to date with chapter 1340 and didn't remember what was all this fight about).

I understand what you say and I somewhat agree with it, but on the same time I stay with what I said. For the crowd it could be difficult to notice this since as an example a punch followed by an illegal elbow if it's done right it's difficult to notice from a distance if you don't notice there was a weird movement. The referee can be blamed for not noticing or caring about this.

Apart from the difference of amateur and pro boxing it's about Itagaki mentality, I would also said to him that it was his fault to get so distracted. It's the corner job to say that to the referee and for the boxer to make him notice that, but after that you can't enter in a whirlwind of being always thinking that he is cheating (even if you were right), at the end of the day that would lead to lose that fight, and when you know you are better than him just prove it. People like Takamura have a champion's mentality to overcome anything that stands in front of them, others cry because of everything and can't turn that situation, it overcomes them.

Itagaki was the victim of the dirty ways of the other guy, that's clear, but the problem is to enter in that victim mentality (all this sound like cheapass motivation coaching blahblah but I think it's what really sets the line between one who achieves and one who doesn't; and this takes an important place in the future of HnI).
Aug 12, 2021 10:26 PM

Aug 2018
Itagaki lost because of a cheater, I dont think he is to blame at all. Though not paying attention to the fight and telling the ref that you got headbutted was a dumb move tbh.

Takamura really screwed up his weight control, I dont know how he is going to fight like that when he can barely move properly... and the guy he is fighting looks pretty tough..

Dec 8, 2021 9:47 AM

Dec 2007
i find the pace kinda fast. i like it, but the cliffhangers still not what they used to be in the first series..

itakagi took too much for granted, and thought only about himself, didn't saw his opponent face, and is lacking major thing that ippo mentioned.. overall he underestimated everyone and the match itself. seems it was too early for him to have his debut.

kimura wasn't that good either lol.

takamura, what he's gonna do? o_o
but as i mentioned, i'm not the intense to know.
something is seriously wrong with this season writing...

seems to me the rest of the episodes after ep17 going to be as the match schedule mentioned in this episode.
Jan 10, 2023 9:03 PM

Apr 2022
damn itagaki got done dirty, understandable frustration. and takamura lookin older than the chief lmao.
Mar 22, 2023 3:50 AM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
Hajime no Ippo referees try to notice absolutely anything: level impossible

No really they suck and they’ve sucked the whole time. Remember when Mashiba stepped on Miyata’s foot and won? Bruh

Aren’t these pro matches always being recorded and photographed? Dumb audience too.

Bit frustrating lol. Keen for Takamura’s fight 😂
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

superjesus - Mar 9, 2009

65 by GingZ »»
May 27, 11:50 AM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ParaParaJMo - Jun 30, 2009

127 by UncleWinkleDink »»
May 12, 7:23 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ParaParaJMo - Jun 16, 2009

140 by UncleWinkleDink »»
May 11, 11:04 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ParaParaJMo - Mar 17, 2009

66 by UncleWinkleDink »»
Apr 22, 12:58 PM

Poll: » Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ParaParaJMo - Apr 21, 2009

75 by Meritas »»
Mar 16, 4:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.