Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jun 24, 2015 11:05 PM

Nov 2012
Great flashbacks and shit. It looked like Rei and Rin were gonna have a fist fight at the end.
Aug 12, 2015 6:16 PM

May 2015
Loved the ep, LOL @ Rei and Rin. I was getting so hyped up for the showdown. >w< This is gonna be goood~

On another note:

OMGOSH LITTLE NAGISA IS JUST THE CUTEST THING EVER

HIS VOICE IS JUST

EVERY TIME HE TALKS I CAN'T EVEN

It's sooo cute >w<
Jan 5, 2016 4:51 PM

Feb 2009
Rin-chan-san

HAHAHHA
Rei <3
Feb 4, 2016 12:11 PM

Jun 2010
The episode was boring. I hate Rin when he was younger.
But now he's sexy because he's a badass. <3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 6, 2016 4:24 AM

Apr 2015
Nagisa, such a cute shota <3

“Even if the attention isn’t forever, I’ll keep singing.”
Feb 6, 2016 8:51 AM

Jun 2010
Didn't like the episode. And I don't like Rin when he was a kid.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 10, 2016 2:17 PM

Mar 2012
nagisa was such a sweetie.
i love how he's kind of a peter pan and is still the same. <3
Mar 12, 2017 10:24 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
a few flahsback to complete the story!!! nice!! ;)
Jul 5, 2017 2:05 AM

Jan 2013
That "Rin-chan-san desu ne?" got me. xdd

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Dec 27, 2017 5:19 AM
May 2016
For me the best part in the episode was the coach. And gotta love the music at Rin and Rei meeting just before the end.
Jan 27, 2018 7:30 PM

Nov 2012
"What about the relay?" Oh, now you care?

Rei has a point about a lot of this conflict not really mattering and needing to know what happened. Using Rei as an audience surrogate for the situation is a good idea and I wish they'd leaned into it more sooner.

....so you're telling me there is no more reason than what we already knew and that Rin decided to be a jerk to the others because he lost ONE race? "Yeah it doesn't really make much sense don't worry about it lol" wow. WOW. So the writers are just going to wave this off after all that buildup?

Rei deserves an explanation and so does the audience. I hope we're about to get one in this next episode. I mean that SEEMS to be where this is going but i would put no amount of bullcrap past the writers at this point.

Oct 1, 2018 11:41 AM

Aug 2017
I'm glad that they added more flashbacks. Now, the story have a better context.

Oh, Rei and Rin talk. Let's see what awaits us.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 30, 2019 5:34 PM
Apr 2016
Hmm, we got a lot of backstories this episode, I guess it's relevant. Damn that ending though, let's see what happens...

hahahahha this was hilarious, I died..
Mar 7, 2019 9:44 AM

Sep 2018
This time we put the character of Rei into making the story boring very much: it seemed to witness a love triangle, where the lover was jealous of the former and who could not forget the first love. The narrative is interesting because it reconstructs the past of the protagonists and makes clear what happened and what derives from it, but the atmosphere that was breathed during the episode and the slowness of the narrative rhythm, I did not like it, oh well!
Mar 23, 2019 12:49 PM

Jul 2016
Well, it seems no matter the age, Haru will still be as boring as ever...

Also, I already knew Rin is a sensitive guy in the inside but man, what a fragile self esteem he has. He was training for a whole year in Australia, then he returns, loses one time and he decides to give up on his dream.. just absurd but well, perhaps something really happened to him back in Australia but who knows.

All in all, it was a decent episode. It was nice to receive more background information about Rin and Haru's relationship. Not to mention that Rei's concerns were portrayed in pretty reasonable way as well. Now, let's see how this "confrontation" between him and Rin will conclude.

Oh, and on a side note... Yes! Finally I could see Ama-chan sensei in a swimsuit... although it was just her in a magazine but still!
Oct 21, 2019 4:47 PM

Jun 2014
We got to see their teacher's swimsuit modelling pictures. She apparently wants to leave that part of her life behind, as it probably wouldn't be good for her job as a teacher.

Rei knows everything about Haruka and Rin, but he's still not satisfied, so now he's gone to meet with Rin face to face.

Aug 11, 2021 2:19 PM
Sep 2018
very good episode and the flashback was so good
Dec 7, 2021 7:41 PM
Dec 2017
shotas are really cute aren't they?

Mar 31, 2022 3:59 AM

Feb 2020
Interesting backstory.

Wow, Ama-sensei looked so sexy in those swimsuits. I didn't expect her to be a model.

SerafosMay 20, 6:33 AM
Dec 27, 2023 10:02 AM
Nov 2016
The first 7 minutes of the episode were dedicated to showing more of the characters' childhood and how they met Rin, with their bond developing. Rin, from the beginning, is intrigued by Haruka's swimming style and decides to persuade his friends to participate in a relay, as there wouldn't be another opportunity due to his move. The flashback ends in an interesting way, accompanied by a striking OST, where Rin tells Haru, "I'll show you something you've never seen."

In the present day, Coach Goro is back to help the boys train. He's a fun character, and we finally learn about the teacher; she used to be a model, and Goro had magazines featuring her, hence feeling like he already knew her.

After seeing all the photos they found in Goro's album, Rei feels uneasy, and it makes a lot of sense. He's a newcomer and doesn't know the entire history; it's a very human curiosity. Makoto then tells the story of their relationship with Rin, explaining that Rin only mentioned that his father was one of the first members of the Iwatobi swim club very close to the end of their championship.

Despite not liking Rin, I acknowledge the depth of his character. Before going to Australia, he wanted to participate in the relay and win to share his father's dream, something noble and touching.

Then, we revisit the scene where Haru and Rin compete to see who is faster, resulting in Haru's victory and Rin being hurt. This incident made Haru feel guilty and stop competing.

Rei is outraged by Rin upon learning the story (which I find very justified) and goes after him.
Jan 18, 6:06 PM

Oct 2017
I really thought Rei was upset that he didn't have much history/many memories with his new team. I can't believe he actually just wanted to know why Rin is doing the relay and wanted to know all their pasts because of it.

Also I can't believe he went to see Rin! That OST at the end with the string instruments was so awesome and tense!

Rin still seems unhappy, even with his teammate /roommate cheering him on and trying to cheer him up. I think deep down Rin just misses his old teammates and won't admit it. "The grass isn't always greener on the other side" - he can be at an elite swim school, he could go to an elite Austrailian swim school (that he quit?? Curious about the details of that), he can practice hard and do well, he can have new teammates that treat him nicely, but it can't replace what he misses about his old team (and his old freinds / rivals / memories)
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Free! shows demographic matters more than ever

Sanjay63773 - Jan 23

8 by Yaoi4U »»
Apr 3, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Free! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

lpf - Jul 24, 2013

315 by Luisito14 »»
Mar 21, 5:11 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2013

408 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2013

145 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 6:34 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2013

102 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 5:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.