Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 21, 1:56 AM

Nov 2019
Are there anime that have made you feel empty/emotional? (especially upon completion)
Were the series filled with themes of happiness, productivity, grief, betrayal?

Me personally, an anime like a place further than the universe made me feel empty simply because the story and characters were so productive and fulfilling. After watching I had to really think about my stature in life for a good hour or so.
May 21, 1:56 AM

Feb 2020
Pretty much every anime that I have rated a 10/10. They all made me emotional, but I also got an empty feeling after I finished them. I just didn't want the story to end, you know.
May 21, 2:04 AM

Sep 2016
May 21, 2:19 AM

Dec 2021
When Marnie Was There made me feel empty because to me it's the last good film Miyazaki made. Studio Ghibli was my introduction to anime where I had CDs for Totoro and Laputa.
I don't know why but watching the main character living through her imagination made me feel nostalgia to my own childhood and that really made this movie special to me.
May 21, 2:21 AM

Nov 2023
Thats what the 10/10 list stands for, for that category to hold its goanna have to kill me hard and in unique ways=

such example is: https://myanimelist.net/anime/37779/Yakusoku_no_Neverland S1, Never have I ever seen something soo unique, risky and well executed,
Ratris_DecisionMay 21, 2:26 AM
May 21, 3:05 AM
Mar 2019
To get two obvious ones out of the way, Clannad: After Story and Ano Hana made me cry when I watched them, though that was way back when I was a teenager and more emotionally vulnerable (read: more easily impressed), so I don't know if they would still hold up today.

Mob Psycho 100 had several moments that got me emotional; the end of the first episode of season 2 comes to mind. I greatly enjoyed watching Mob grow as a person.

Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki has one scene that made me tear up when I watched it, but I won't spoil it here. Great movie!

And more recently, I remember crying at the end of Migi to Dali. Not going to tell too much about how it ends, either, but I found it a well made emotional pay-off.
May 21, 4:33 AM

Jun 2019
Yeah, to varying degrees and some extent or another, all my favorites (whether referencing the Top 20 on my MAL profile page or my personal more extended Top 50 favorites list) and/or mostly anything I rated a 10/10, 9/10, and even a lot of the 8/10s.

But especially (except for the first two being above everything else, not in a strict hierarchical order):

- Koi Kaze
- Inuyasha
- Elfen Lied
- Mahoutsukai no Yome
- Aku no Hana
- Higurashi
- Usagi Drop
- Aishiteruze Baby
- Happy Sugar Life
- Kenpuu Denki Berserk
- Haibane Renmei
- Hanasaku Iroha
- Kodomo no Jikan
- Beatless
- Shiki
- Noragami
- Vinland Saga
- Gankutsuou
- Gungrave
- Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
- Gakkougurashi!
- Serial Expeiments Lain
- Ergo Proxy
- Sonny Boy (mainly just in the last episode)
- Zettai Shounen
May 21, 5:14 AM

Aug 2018
K-On! made me feel things, happy and sad, nostalgia and melancholy, grief and betrayal too.

May 21, 5:20 AM

Jul 2021
Pretty much every anime that I have rated a 10/10 (2)

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

May 21, 5:31 AM

Oct 2023
"Your Lie in April" is the first one that comes to mind. I really appreciate when a story addresses the reality of life. Not all stories have happy endings...and that's putting in plainly. There is complexity and meaning behind what it means to live and to die and how that affects everyone around them.
May 21, 5:35 AM

Oct 2019
Steins;gate, every entry in made in abyss, Madoka magica rebellion, parasyte the maxim, disappearance of haruhi suzumiya, Sonny boy, Akudama drive, Mob psycho 100, A silent voice, Link click, End of evangelion, Jojo part 6, The promised neverland season 1, and death parade.

I would also like to shout out pantheon for giving me an existential crisis, it's not anime, but it's a banger.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 21, 10:51 AM

Jul 2013
I think the Senran Kagura and Hyperdimension Neptunia anime made me emotional...coz the characters are so relatable to me...
May 21, 6:47 PM

Dec 2020
The ones that had the biggest emotional effect on me would probably be,
Evangelion
Parasyte
Clannad: After Story
Anohana
May 21, 7:59 PM

Apr 2024
I've had a few anime that made me boohoo a little bit. But the finale of Made in Abyss S1 had me full on crying. The build up, the music... It got me.
May 22, 1:43 AM

Jul 2021
Vinland Saga S1, to pick just one. It was the most memorable in terms of visceral reaction and empty feeling. I'm not sure why or what exact emotion I was feeling, but I was physically shaking and had to compose myself after the finale.
May 22, 9:56 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to perseii
Vinland Saga S1, to pick just one. It was the most memorable in terms of visceral reaction and empty feeling. I'm not sure why or what exact emotion I was feeling, but I was physically shaking and had to compose myself after the finale.
@perseii Be sure to watch the second season, it's much deeper than the first
May 22, 4:34 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Swyzen
@perseii Be sure to watch the second season, it's much deeper than the first
@Swyzen I have seen Season 2 and loved it. But personally Season 1 hit me harder, partly because I had no expectations beforehand and wasn't sure where it was going. And while Season 2 had many amazing moments, it did not make me especially emotional.

Also, in my opinion, Season 1 is "deeper" than people give it credit for, and Season 2 is not that much "deeper" than Season 1. But that's another topic...

May 22, 4:37 PM

Dec 2021
Anything and everything Urusei Yatsura. Hundred and ninety something episodes, and most of them knew how to make me tear up. Movie 3 especially is my favorite, in spite of the MAL score putting it directly in the lower-middle of the ranks for UY movies. That movie man, I NEED a blu-ray of it some day.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
May 23, 12:19 PM

Feb 2024
Reply to perseii
@Swyzen I have seen Season 2 and loved it. But personally Season 1 hit me harder, partly because I had no expectations beforehand and wasn't sure where it was going. And while Season 2 had many amazing moments, it did not make me especially emotional.

Also, in my opinion, Season 1 is "deeper" than people give it credit for, and Season 2 is not that much "deeper" than Season 1. But that's another topic...

perseii said:
Кроме того, на мой взгляд, первый сезон «глубже», чем люди думают, а второй сезон не настолько «глубже», чем первый. Но это уже другая тема…

I believe that the first and second seasons are part of the same story and one cannot strictly evaluate these two seasons separately. The first season, in my opinion, is more suitable for action fans. I watched the first season of Saga with my brother and a beer. Season 2 shows us pacifism and deeper thoughts

More topics from this board

» Write your takes in anime and I'll prove you're incorrect, part 2.

Gashadokur0 - May 28

35 by Gashadokur0 »»
3 minutes ago

» Would you watch AI anime?

solacez - 11 hours ago

24 by APolygons2 »»
7 minutes ago

» Does your opinion of a voice actor change when you hear them voice characters in hentai?

Dragevard - Yesterday

12 by Hitagi__Furude »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » r/Anime vs MyAnimelist. ( 1 2 )

Makoto_Yuri - Apr 21, 2022

86 by _YaoiShotaIncest »»
21 minutes ago

» What are your Anime Hot Takes

solacez - 11 hours ago

20 by MadanielFL »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.