Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 4, 10:58 AM

Nov 2011
Seeing Yuri's storytelling was very interesting imo, especially from her perspective.

Funny how Buchio ends up on the same ride. Yuri's reaction to seeing Tazenbou was gold. First time I've seen her being so agitated.
May 4, 11:04 AM

Feb 2020
It's interesting to learn more about these characters. I'm glad Yuri got more screen time.

I wonder what's going on with those space rifts and parallel worlds. So many strange things are happening at the moment. Well, gotta wait to get an answer.

SerafosMay 4, 1:18 PM
May 4, 12:32 PM

Mar 2021
Really loved the focus on Yuri this episode she is such a great character.
May 4, 1:45 PM
Jan 2022
Yuri had great development in this episode. This anime is perfect in every way, my god.I liked that they adhere to an interesting premise about technology, it's something we've never really seen before: youkais+humans+technology, all together.
May 4, 2:05 PM
Apr 2021
wtf??? i never expected this??? this is actually huge, one of the best twists ever
May 4, 3:00 PM

Nov 2012
What happened to the woman on the train? It wasn't Yuri. Actually, she looked like the little girl as an adult. Did she disappear with the train?
May 4, 3:06 PM
Nov 2023
dragynfaerie said:
What happened to the woman on the train? It wasn't Yuri. Actually, she looked like the little girl as an adult. Did she disappear with the train?

When the train arrives at it’s terminal in the parallel world, she’ll be 2D art on the front of it 😂
May 4, 3:16 PM
May 2017
Stupendous episode! It blew my mind!
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
May 4, 4:57 PM

Sep 2020
I wanted to see how the Space-Time Laboratory team managed to swap the two Yuri but I guess the process is classified info even for the viewers.
May 4, 5:02 PM

Sep 2016
That empty train taking that lady to a Youkai filled world just reeks of Yukari and her antics in Touhou XD
May 4, 7:06 PM

Nov 2008
Parallel world stories always remind me of the old, old Simpsons Halloween episode where Homer keeps on switching between parallel worlds and finally stops when he finds one that is "Close Enough".
May 4, 7:24 PM

Apr 2008
I like this new dimension (heh) to the show, but that sure was a quick resolution. Normally I wouldn't expect it to take, but it kinda looks like she's moving right on to the family drama. Could see the meeting going poorly and triggering another swap from the whole hole in her heart thing. Bet the noble bakegitsunes won't be happy to see a human version.
May 4, 8:50 PM

Nov 2012
Reply to FutoiOtaku
dragynfaerie said:

When the train arrives at it’s terminal in the parallel world, she’ll be 2D art on the front of it 😂
@FutoiOtaku
ok... that was funny!
May 4, 9:19 PM
Feb 2020
Man this show just amazes me every week.Cant help but complains how slept on it is.
Have to say,Buchio was kinda being intrusive on Yuri's personal matter especially after she lashed out on him before.
Also anyone else felt the 2nd half of the eps gave off Summertime Render vibes?
May 4, 10:41 PM

Sep 2018
Yeah, this is 10/10, no doubt about it. I'm a bit blown away tbh, would never have expected this show to be this good when I was browsing what to watch this season.
May 5, 1:00 AM

Jul 2017
Yuri sending brooches for a fair, which intriques Wagen's partner Nishiya that reminded him of his late wife, which also reminded her of her family, in the most unnerving of ways. Thinking how that she has an inkling between Buchio and her, and ranting to Tazenbo of her family's upstanding tradition as a bakegitsune family, something which she never once gelled well with, being treated like a stranger against her family and abandoning them as not their own. Still, having both Buchio and Taira being hit back at her feels awful, and not to mention, the Space-Time Laboratory coming for an investigation (after the Raiju incident), and an unmanned train with a lady dropping on Kisaragi, the space-time riffs are getting more egregious.

Yuri acting weird and completely unlike her yokai self, something's definitely happened to her, which she's fazed back to being human...and the bakegitsune self being transported back to Earth with the same humans? As it turns out, this is a case of a body swap, a doppelganger act swapping both Yuris in both the real and parallel world in an overlapping space-time continuum. It's also top-secret stuff, which the real Yuri managed to make it back to their world.

Still, the mystery is ever still present, and it's not so much a clear picture yet.
May 5, 1:41 AM
Sep 2015
I like that sci-fi element exists for developing characters, it's not trying to impress the audience with some kind of advance wormhole theory or mindbending time-travel paradox, but for exploring character's trauma. It doesn't go into detail on how the institution can swap back the soul because it's not where the focus is.
May 5, 2:39 AM

Apr 2022
I wish they made a bigger deal out of the parallel world switch and gave it more time to develop better. It both happens and is solved way too quickly.
May 5, 3:52 AM
Nov 2023
My reaction after watching this episode:
May 5, 5:46 AM

Nov 2013
Oh wow, what a twist, what a surprise! So sad people are sleeping on this show! And what's with the abysmal score since episode 1??? -_-

So, we have parallel worlds too (we know there's a shadow realm already, where Mutsumi's dad is). Wonder if he can come back somehow too. And, are there like infinite parallel worlds, I wonder?

Yuri's past is sad. Hopefully she can find peace and talk it out with her father. I feel sorry for human Yuri too. She may have returned to her native world, but she will no longer see the event as a dream. Not good for her mental health + her BF is a witness too. Wonder if time-space research teams have damage-control protocols of sorts. Immediately thought about mind-eraser from Man in Black. Wonder how "ok" it is to just swap people, even if they've been exposed to a parallel world.

Wonder if Mao/Dragon god can travel through dimensions or how that tech was acquired. Maybe there are agents from this world in others? :) Possibilities are infinite! 1 thing for certain, 1 season of this show already seems not enough!
May 5, 9:00 AM

Jun 2019
So is it safe to say that the human woman who arrived via the train, the alternate human version of Yuri, her male friend or boyfriend, and everyone else in that world, actually live in "our" world? "Our" Earth? The one where real youkai apparently don't exist, or, at the very least, are not public knowledge. And that the Earth and main setting of this anime series is a parallel universe.

And I thought this show was going to be much more of an iyashikei...it still has those elements present, but is very shockingly mixed.
WatchTillTandavaMay 5, 9:08 AM
May 5, 9:22 AM

Nov 2013
Reply to WatchTillTandava
So is it safe to say that the human woman who arrived via the train, the alternate human version of Yuri, her male friend or boyfriend, and everyone else in that world, actually live in "our" world? "Our" Earth? The one where real youkai apparently don't exist, or, at the very least, are not public knowledge. And that the Earth and main setting of this anime series is a parallel universe.

And I thought this show was going to be much more of an iyashikei...it still has those elements present, but is very shockingly mixed.
WatchTillTandava said:
And that the Earth and main setting of this anime series is a parallel universe.
Depends who you ask though :) I mean, the series doesn't take place in "our" ordinary Earth, so in a way "our" ordinary Earth would be (is) a parallel universe.

My biggest headache here is the fact that this enables potentially INFINITE amounts of parallel universes, and I have tons of questions.

Absolutely loved how the show portrayed the two Yuri's as cells (one of many!) of a body, as well as an image of vast universe.

I can't decide whether I'd be excited or terrified if one day we find out that parallel universes do exist :)
May 5, 9:46 AM

Jun 2019
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
Depends who you ask though :) I mean, the series doesn't take place in "our" ordinary Earth, so in a way "our" ordinary Earth would be (is) a parallel universe.

My biggest headache here is the fact that this enables potentially INFINITE amounts of parallel universes, and I have tons of questions.

Absolutely loved how the show portrayed the two Yuri's as cells (one of many!) of a body, as well as an image of vast universe.

I can't decide whether I'd be excited or terrified if one day we find out that parallel universes do exist :)

I wouldn't be surprised if they do, I'd like to believe that they do, and in a way I guess I can say I operate under the constant assumption/belief that they do, but it's just an instinctual hunch of an inclination of a core belief in the near-limitless boundaries and potential of all existence. I may never know it for a confirmed fact either way in this lifetime. Although perhaps 9 octillion different iterations of me somewhere else know it as a basic fact learned at the kindergarten-level.

This focus on parallel universes lately is tripping me up though. Previously I had always neatly divided all anime (and any kind of series and films in general) into a few categories:

- Our world/our Earth, which, even if the towns and cities are fictional, the world is still ours, as, after all, even when the locations are all real, the characters and events would be fictional anyway (unless it's a documentary and/or biopic). This also applies to one set on, say, Mars or Jupiter, or even the far reaches of the galaxy or a different galaxy, as long as "our" Earth still exists somewhere in the universe.

- High fantasy, where the primary setting is an alternate world stand-in for our Earth but in which our Earth can basically be assumed to not exist, none of the characters indicate possessing any knowledge of it or make any reference to it, and along with that all our "real" world countries, history, famous dates and events, etc. Like Berserk and a lot of traditional medieval-themed and inspired fantasy.

- Isekai, which is obvious.

- Reverse isekai, where the isekai world exists but the main story and time spent involves characters from that world coming here to our Earth and takes place here.

I had always mentally relegated the whole talk and concept of parallel universes to be strictly the domain of Sci-Fi and works centering on time travel as a major plot point, like Steins;Gate and
Although in Steins;Gate I think that technically the other world they're currently in at the time of the creation of the new timeline ceases to exist at the moment of creation of the new one and all are physically the same exact people (not alternate multiple existing versions) just with their memories somehow rewritten to fit the new chronology, so no parallel universes existing simultaneously. From my understanding of it. Still these are the only types of series I ever thought we'd really be dealing with this in.

And now this season alone, there are two separate seasonals in which it's a thing. Both non-Sci Fi and labeled only as traditional fantasy or supernatural. But it imparts a sense of scientific "realism" to these series in that once you get into the limits of the universe or universes, it seems like anything can happen transcending even the human imagination of what constitutes magic. The universe and all we don't know still is more "magical" in a way than tengu folklore.

WatchTillTandavaMay 5, 9:50 AM
May 5, 3:22 PM

Jul 2014
This is a very interesting direction for this sort of series to take. Incorporating sci-fi elements with fantasy ones always makes for an interesting combination, and this doppelganger stuff just adds another layer on top of that.

May 5, 5:36 PM

Feb 2019
how will they get yuki back to their world?
May 6, 11:56 AM
Dec 2020
So is everyone just going to go back normal and ignore the literal Conjunction of the Spheres happening right now? OK, this is a small village, people probably don't think what's happening on the TV is any of their business, but come on. I'd definitely be more concerned, stock up on toilet paper, that sort of thing. Why aren't at least some of them panicking? And I wanna know what's happening on the other side! Like do "parallel" people just dismiss this as fever dreams and mental illness? But surely it would leave some trace, like energy signatures? We have incredibly sensitive measurement devices for these things here on our Earth, people would surely notice, and the governments wouldn't just let it go. Ever seen GATE: Thus the JSDF Fought There? Yeah, I'm talking that kind of interest from the governments. Surely this will be explained, right? It wasn't just a one-off plot device to help Yuri grow as a character, right? This can't be just a surprise micro-arc, right?
May 6, 12:14 PM

Sep 2020
Reply to B3RyL01
So is everyone just going to go back normal and ignore the literal Conjunction of the Spheres happening right now? OK, this is a small village, people probably don't think what's happening on the TV is any of their business, but come on. I'd definitely be more concerned, stock up on toilet paper, that sort of thing. Why aren't at least some of them panicking? And I wanna know what's happening on the other side! Like do "parallel" people just dismiss this as fever dreams and mental illness? But surely it would leave some trace, like energy signatures? We have incredibly sensitive measurement devices for these things here on our Earth, people would surely notice, and the governments wouldn't just let it go. Ever seen GATE: Thus the JSDF Fought There? Yeah, I'm talking that kind of interest from the governments. Surely this will be explained, right? It wasn't just a one-off plot device to help Yuri grow as a character, right? This can't be just a surprise micro-arc, right?
@B3RyL01
They aren't panicking because that sort otherwordly crazy events seem to be commonplace in their world.
If you can accept the fact that in your world common people can get randomly kidnapped by unkwnown entities and taken to strange spirit dimensions then what's the point of freaking out just because a few space-time apertures leading to parallel worlds have started appearing (again) in your hometown?
And don't forget that the Space Time Laboratory is sure to be a governmental division.
May 7, 7:46 AM
Mar 2015
Now we have people swapping worlds
May 7, 12:12 PM

Apr 2012
So all this time it wasn't a paranormal fantasy show about youkai, but a science fiction show with parallel worlds. That is, the entire world of the original manga is essentially an alternative world to ours, where youkai are part of human society? And if in the ordinary world there is a human Yuri, then why is there not a human Jiro there according to this logic?

P.S. This may be a pretty stupid reason for jokes, but I'm a little amused by the way the dialogue in the episode and it's discussion looksed out of context because of just one specific word.
May 8, 1:41 AM

Jun 2019
RobertBobert said:
And if in the ordinary world there is a human Yuri, then why is there not a human Jiro there according to this logic?

Probably because, as a kitsune, Yuri has a human form she can transform into and seems to more frequently live and walk around in town day-to-day as than her original fox form, whereas Jiro has none and is always a crow tengu in appearance.
May 8, 4:34 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to WatchTillTandava
RobertBobert said:
And if in the ordinary world there is a human Yuri, then why is there not a human Jiro there according to this logic?

Probably because, as a kitsune, Yuri has a human form she can transform into and seems to more frequently live and walk around in town day-to-day as than her original fox form, whereas Jiro has none and is always a crow tengu in appearance.
@WatchTillTandava But doesn't this mean that her human form is a full part of her, and not just a human form that she can take on? Because it doesn't seem like youkai here have any restrictions on their transformation goals.
May 9, 12:00 AM

Jun 2015
I knew it is the Kisaragi Station at first look!
but I did not expected that– I thought everyone is living comfortably while co-existing with Yokai but, Parallel Worlds!? really? this became even more interesting. mindblowing.
Im hyped for what comes next.
May 9, 6:52 AM

Feb 2021
Their world is switched. Luckily the girl can still be saved.
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 9, 6:55 AM

Feb 2013
LOL - I started watching this expecting the cute daily life of a talking cat. I get Dark Beings, Time Space mix up and parallel worlds. Awesome!!!
May 10, 8:03 AM

Apr 2015
For fucks sake Yukari
May 11, 9:35 PM

Dec 2021
I'm surprised they brought back Yuri so quickly instead of leaving us on the cliffhanger of her being stuck in another world. But I guess it shows that these things can happen.

It would've been a real hassle if Yuri had to find her own way back, but it looks like they're pretty advanced in their research on space-time leaps already.

May 13, 11:07 PM
Jan 2017
this show keeps twisting and turning. But it always lands on its feet.
May 22, 10:44 AM
Feb 2015
People entering a world where animals and mythological creatures coexist with humans: Shock, Disbelief, Trauma, Screaming

Probably furries entering said world instead: OwO
May 29, 12:10 PM

Jul 2021
This many comments and none mentioning Buchio stuffing his face into a mug when he's feeling sad. As cats do...

This episode was such a weird mix of wholesome, tragic, CUTE, and even existential dread.
Jun 7, 12:20 PM
Dec 2020
Reply to Avvenirista
@B3RyL01
They aren't panicking because that sort otherwordly crazy events seem to be commonplace in their world.
If you can accept the fact that in your world common people can get randomly kidnapped by unkwnown entities and taken to strange spirit dimensions then what's the point of freaking out just because a few space-time apertures leading to parallel worlds have started appearing (again) in your hometown?
And don't forget that the Space Time Laboratory is sure to be a governmental division.
@Avvenirista OK, fair enough about the fairy world not freaking out, though I feel like this isn't common knowledge. Quite a few people, including Yuri, didn't seem to know what the hell was going on. I feel like people should be panicking a bit more than it was portrayed. As for the other side, I feel like we should have a full scale invasion happening before the end of the season. Like, literally tanks, fighter jets, the whole US military. All it takes is for one politician to go: "This other side holds tremendous strategic potential. We should go get it, before the Chinese do."
Jun 8, 12:11 PM

Sep 2020
Reply to B3RyL01
@Avvenirista OK, fair enough about the fairy world not freaking out, though I feel like this isn't common knowledge. Quite a few people, including Yuri, didn't seem to know what the hell was going on. I feel like people should be panicking a bit more than it was portrayed. As for the other side, I feel like we should have a full scale invasion happening before the end of the season. Like, literally tanks, fighter jets, the whole US military. All it takes is for one politician to go: "This other side holds tremendous strategic potential. We should go get it, before the Chinese do."
@B3RyL01
You're making an awful lot of assumptions about this series' world history, politics, current world order and the general spread of supernatural (as in out of the ordinary even for that world) phenomena.
You might want to watch up to episode 8 before talking about militaries invading other countries to get their hands on portal to other dimensions and whatnot.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tonari no Youkai-san Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 8

17 by Vicmiceli »»
Today, 5:06 AM

Poll: » Tonari no Youkai-san Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 1

21 by KANLen09 »»
Jun 8, 11:59 PM

Poll: » Tonari no Youkai-san Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - May 25

23 by KANLen09 »»
Jun 8, 11:38 PM

Poll: » Tonari no Youkai-san Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 18

20 by KANLen09 »»
Jun 8, 11:20 PM

Poll: » Tonari no Youkai-san Episode 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 13

26 by WienGirl »»
Jun 1, 12:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.