Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 20, 10:28 AM

Nov 2011
Jirou's story is kinda inpsiring. Took on a monster snake to protect what he believes in. He might not look at it in the present timeline but Jirou deserves his title as a guardian.

This was a pretty serious episode in regards to the lore and present. After watching this episode, my respect for Jirou has really grown.
Apr 20, 10:40 AM

Feb 2020
Buchio is already pretty good with taking different forms.

It was nice to learn more about Jiro. He has a very interesting background.

That snake battle looked cool.

SerafosApr 20, 1:01 PM
Apr 20, 12:30 PM

Mar 2021
I really love Jiro he seems such a cool guy and fun to be around and Buchio is starting to do really well with the Transformations which is great to see.
Apr 20, 12:47 PM
Sep 2015
Nue is basically a wild bear in real world.

The action scene is well done, which means this anime excel at both slice-of-life part and action part.
Apr 20, 1:13 PM

Nov 2013
It's only episode 3 and I already know I'll miss the characters a lot when the show is over. Loving it.
Apr 20, 2:05 PM

Sep 2016
This episode had a lot more action than I expected to see in this show. I'm glad to see everything pan out.
Apr 20, 2:30 PM
Aug 2020
Another great episode !!!

I was sad for Jiro…

A lot of sadness in this anime.
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Apr 20, 4:01 PM
May 2017
Another excellent episode of an already excellent series! Jirou and Mutsumi running for Couple of the Season?
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Apr 20, 5:07 PM

Sep 2020
I certainly wasn't expecting a polished battle scene in this episode, good stuff.
This series is effectively an all-arounder.
Apr 20, 5:15 PM

Jul 2021
My love for this show keeps growing. I actually teared up when Mutsumi covered Jirou with her own body during the fight and when she cried for him afterwards.

These past 3 episodes have been magical. The show really deserves more attention.
Apr 20, 5:23 PM
May 2020
Another keeper for the season.
I'm glad that they are showing motivations for all.

Apr 20, 8:55 PM
Feb 2020
Aww they even changed a part of the ED with Jiro and Mu-chan.

Disgusting how slept on this series is.Ppl will prob only start talking bout it if it makes it into Gigguk's seasonal vid.
Apr 20, 8:56 PM

Mar 2010
This episode felt like the last episode ngl. I wonder what is going to happen next.
Apr 21, 5:04 AM
Mar 2023
This is the best episode so far. Just based off the first 3 episodes, I think this is going to be my favourite slice of life anime.
Apr 21, 5:15 AM

Jun 2019
I'm really glad that this is one of the seasonal shows of this season I identified very early on as something I knew I'd like pretty much immediately and decided right away to start watching after the first episode (as opposed to a lot of series for which I usually watch a few episodes before even deciding whether or not I'm going to continue with it).

It's odd in some ways how much under the radar this series is flying too when it seems like if it was something which came out 10 or 15 years ago it would be one which would still receive some recognition and be talked about as a prime example of a mainly low stakes and "chill", relaxing supernatural Slice of Life show with some light drama. I'm struggling to determine which show I've seen that it comes closest to in essence, but I think it's probably Natsume Yuujinchou.

Although there is something this show possesses which actually makes me prefer it to that (maybe a bold and premature statement considering we're only three episodes into this whereas I've seen four whole seasons of that show, but I'm throwing it out there and going with it anyway), but whatever it exactly is gives me a strange feeling that this one will never quite catch on and become nearly as well-known as that and other more famous titles, and continue to be undersold at the popular level into the foreseeable future.

Perhaps because it's both less dramatic and comedic? The OST is also less prominent, in that I haven't noticed anything standout from it yet. Although this episode was rather atmospherically heavy, even unexpectedly so for an episode so early into the series' run, so it's not just one of the completely calm and peaceful shows aiming for exclusively pure relaxation 100% throughout either.
WatchTillTandavaApr 21, 5:22 AM
Apr 21, 7:11 AM
Nov 2023
In literaly the last episode, I commented that something emotional was coming. (proof)
This is definitely the best episode so far and it's a shame that not many people are interested in shows like this one. 😞
(This season is full of hidden gems)
Apr 21, 8:46 AM
Mar 2015
jiro has to go away so that he can accept the soul of the snake
Apr 21, 5:26 PM

Dec 2021
Buchio had two standout moments in this episode: protecting Takumi from the Nue and distracting the Servant while impersonating Jirou.

I'm relieved they swiftly resolved Mu's issue regarding her dad, and the approach was excellent. It depicted the snake not merely as a villain but also as a heartbroken creature, while also adding depth to Jirou's character.

Apr 22, 11:42 AM

Sep 2011
Reply to Builder45
Aww they even changed a part of the ED with Jiro and Mu-chan.

Disgusting how slept on this series is.Ppl will prob only start talking bout it if it makes it into Gigguk's seasonal vid.
Builder45 said:

I pray every day that the seasonal anime I like are slept on and that no shitty anitubers talk about them
Apr 22, 8:15 PM

Jul 2017
The sightings of a nue, and both Buchio and Takumi had to encounter one, though the former did train his bow and arrow warlord transformation to ward it off. But to Yuri, this is not enough, and more imitation transformation training is in order. For Mutsumi, her learning from her grandmother about Jiro's backstory and his work, where serpents have once caused a ruckus where he was supposed to protect the village, he may have been cursed, but his responsibility still remains to keep everyone safe. But it's still writhing that Jiro chose to sacrifice himself as the cedar tree, its parent body, sustaining the crow tengu within him which Mutsumi under the influence of the serpent, tried to rip off Jiro's barrier.

With everyone together, the serpent proves hard to eliminate, but the most important thing is to repair the barrier back its normal state to revive Jiro and allay the serpent of its grudges and sorrows. It was a hard effort for Mutsumi, who adores Jiro a lot, and this village is worth protecting its diversity.

Both happiness and sadness covered in this show, it's really intriguing.
Apr 24, 11:16 PM

Feb 2019
oh no, what's gonna happen to buchio?!
but thank goodness jiro was saved! i felt bad for the snake, and understand her pain, but in the end she accepted her fate and released her grudge against jiro since he wasn't really the one she was pissed off at.
Apr 26, 5:55 PM
Mar 2012
good osts. Buchio vs Nue and snake quite brave. still not used to his character tho.
oof Jiro & Serpent past that's some suffering. nice tengu info.
liking the naruto kagebunshin, and cool group fight all around.
May 2, 1:29 AM

Apr 2015
Felt like a finale, a bit weak for a finale though so it makes sense as an EP3
May 9, 6:50 AM

Feb 2021
Luckily He's still alive and can be saved.
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 26, 2:34 AM

Jun 2020
This anime is excelling in each episode.Wow!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tonari no Youkai-san Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 8

17 by Vicmiceli »»
Yesterday, 5:06 AM

Poll: » Tonari no Youkai-san Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 1

21 by KANLen09 »»
Jun 8, 11:59 PM

Poll: » Tonari no Youkai-san Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - May 25

23 by KANLen09 »»
Jun 8, 11:38 PM

Poll: » Tonari no Youkai-san Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 18

20 by KANLen09 »»
Jun 8, 11:20 PM

Poll: » Tonari no Youkai-san Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - May 4

40 by Avvenirista »»
Jun 8, 12:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.