Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 15, 9:47 AM
Nov 2023
They are making it more and more enjoyable and good after every episode .....And seeing it is more loyal to LN it makes me very happy .....
Apr 15, 10:27 AM

Jul 2017
Fantastic news. I'll probably stick with the Japanese version for now just to finish it on time without waiting extra weeks for episodes, but when I rewatch this at some point, absolutely will watch the English dub. Really happy to see both of them return.
Apr 15, 11:12 AM
Jun 2021
Yay! Was having a bad day, but this news made up for it! Peak VA performance incoming again
Apr 15, 4:25 PM

Dec 2023
I hadn't watched the original in EN dub before but after realizing a week or two before release that Spice and Wolf was getting a remake I went back and watched it again. It's been like over 15 years since the original released and 10 or so since I first watched it. Very glad they didn't replace the EN VAs at least for the main characters they did well in the OG dub and I don't know if I'd like the new dub as much if they got new VAs even if the dubbing was good. The english opening song was totally unexpected but it's well done and it sounds just as good. The EN dub is a couple episodes behind so I'll likely just keep watching the JP dub and re watch in EN later. If a dub is done well I don't really mind whether I watch in JP or EN. The teams handling this are doing a great job with this remake and I'm really happy Spice and Wolf is getting finished and being treated well. I'm happy to see Brina Palencia and J. Michael Tatum back. Spring and Summer season are almost certainly gonna be my favorite this year.
Apr 15, 4:31 PM
Feb 2024
Brina's performance in just the first two minutes hits so hard. That is EXACTLY how you tell a story to your small child and I'm here for every second of it. The dubbed OP was a big surprise as well, by the same artist, and this is really showing how much love the studio has for this remake.
Apr 15, 6:13 PM

Jun 2013
Expected, but still very welcomed! While I don't mind the sub, Holo's voice just never matched the type of smug, mature yet playful drama queen Holo could be. For both the OG anime and the reboot her voice was just too high pitched and child like, never liked it but that's just me!

Also surprised that for the dub, they did the OP in English, it was a real joy to listen to!
BeppyicxApr 15, 6:57 PM
Apr 15, 10:29 PM

May 2020
Spice and Wolf the original series has one of the best dubs ever, and I'm glad this new version will too.
Apr 15, 10:56 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to Beppyicx
Expected, but still very welcomed! While I don't mind the sub, Holo's voice just never matched the type of smug, mature yet playful drama queen Holo could be. For both the OG anime and the reboot her voice was just too high pitched and child like, never liked it but that's just me!

Also surprised that for the dub, they did the OP in English, it was a real joy to listen to!
@Beppyicx It's weird to compare how the JP VA doesn't match the dubbed feel, when it's the dub that put a spin on it. That's backwards.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 15, 11:59 PM

Apr 2021
I was so thrilled when they confirmed this. Really excited to see Brina Palencia in lead role after so many years, she was brilliant as Chloe in Vanitas.
reyqqApr 16, 12:02 AM
Apr 16, 1:53 PM
Jun 2021
Brina Palencia blocked
me on Twitter for some reason meh I could care less
Apr 16, 2:34 PM
Nov 2016
I am so HYPED that they are returning!!! Brina was a big reason I enjoyed the original so much because of how well she portrayed Holo's personality and quirks. And that's not to say the Japanese actors didn't kill it, but I just personally enjoyed the English version better (for once). It could be because of the European setting, my personal taste, or just because Brina killed the role so hard. Anyway, I'm just super happy and the wait for all the episodes to come out is gonna suck 😂
Apr 17, 3:58 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to Lol1268
Brina Palencia blocked
me on Twitter for some reason meh I could care less
@Lol1268

that sucks, but just always try to imagine Holo the wise wolf and not Brina, then you will be forced to forgive her haha
Apr 17, 4:03 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to Survivalfreak
I am so HYPED that they are returning!!! Brina was a big reason I enjoyed the original so much because of how well she portrayed Holo's personality and quirks. And that's not to say the Japanese actors didn't kill it, but I just personally enjoyed the English version better (for once). It could be because of the European setting, my personal taste, or just because Brina killed the role so hard. Anyway, I'm just super happy and the wait for all the episodes to come out is gonna suck 😂
@Survivalfreak

Same feelings, as an English speaker I just can't associate with Japanese audio in the same way, one day I would love to learn Japanese and see if I can broaden my horizon, but I need to be realistic about the now. I started to feel a bit withdrawn from this remake because up until Monday there was no confirmation of dub cast and I didn't feel like watching in Japanese anymore, but as soon as I was able to watch with dub I felt the magic come back all over again, I was tearing up in scenes because of music etc that I can't even remember from the first watch of the remake, and that just goes to prove that immersion can really depend on how much you can connect with the characters.
Apr 17, 5:34 PM

Jun 2013
Brina's performance in the original what MADE this anime for me. She crushed it. Couldn't imagine another voice for Holo.
Apr 18, 6:05 PM

Jul 2017
I heard a part of the first episode's dub and it is really damn good. I like it so much more than the Japanese version still. No disrespect to that one since it's still decent but this version definitely makes the series for me and oozes more chemistry. I'll still follow the Japanese version for now since I don't want to be spoiled of anything about this adaptation by being behind, but I'll absolutely rewatch this in English in the future before another season.
Apr 21, 12:51 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to LostSpectre
@Beppyicx It's weird to compare how the JP VA doesn't match the dubbed feel, when it's the dub that put a spin on it. That's backwards.
@LostSpectre I don't think either is trying to replicate the other one.

Most great dubs ask themselves the same question the jp voice actors would, which is "how would this character sound like?"

If they tried to replicate sub, it would only end up being a cheap imitation.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Apr 21, 12:53 AM

Oct 2019
J. Miecheal Tatum is my favourite anime voice actor, and Kevin penkin is my favourite composer.

I had never seen spice and wolf, but these 2 alone would more than sell me on it.

But then i watched the first episode and realized the writing is also EXTREMELY solid. so now I think it very well could make it to my top 20 if not top 10.
Also available at:

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Apr 21, 8:45 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to APolygons2
J. Miecheal Tatum is my favourite anime voice actor, and Kevin penkin is my favourite composer.

I had never seen spice and wolf, but these 2 alone would more than sell me on it.

But then i watched the first episode and realized the writing is also EXTREMELY solid. so now I think it very well could make it to my top 20 if not top 10.
@APolygons2

J. Micheal Tatum is an absolute treasure in this show, he adds such composure and softness to the character of Kraft Lawrence.

I think the scene in E1 in which

...with Kevin Penkin's amazing and very fitting score playing in the background, is all the proof I needed that still remake has what it takes to be worthy of the franchise.

And if you are not already....prepare to become a massive Brina Palencia fan ;) for many including myself she is the embodiment of Holo the Wise Wolf.
Apr 21, 8:57 AM

Jan 2013
Reply to APolygons2
@LostSpectre I don't think either is trying to replicate the other one.

Most great dubs ask themselves the same question the jp voice actors would, which is "how would this character sound like?"

If they tried to replicate sub, it would only end up being a cheap imitation.
@APolygons2 I don't quite see what that has to do with my comment. The point was that they were critical of the JP for not being authentic to the character, when it's obviously the other way around. Of course, the dub doesn't need to be "authentic", but I wouldn't go around saying similar comments about Frieren in the sub, just because I watched the dub. I don't agree at all with your comment about it being an imitation, it's in a completely different language, it wouldn't feel similar enough for that to be an issue whatsoever.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 21, 5:30 PM

Oct 2019
Reply to LostSpectre
@APolygons2 I don't quite see what that has to do with my comment. The point was that they were critical of the JP for not being authentic to the character, when it's obviously the other way around. Of course, the dub doesn't need to be "authentic", but I wouldn't go around saying similar comments about Frieren in the sub, just because I watched the dub. I don't agree at all with your comment about it being an imitation, it's in a completely different language, it wouldn't feel similar enough for that to be an issue whatsoever.
@LostSpectre The point is that the JP isn't any more authetic, it just happens to be the one that comes out first.

Both the dub and the JP choose VAs based on the character, not each other. The authetic voice for the character just doesn't exist, unless the creator made that character with a certain VA in mind.

Both the JP and DUB VA do the same thing.

they voice based the character, neither of them is "the authetic" one.

These days the sub doesn't even come out first all the time. A lot of shows get perfect simulcast meaning the dub and sub come out at the same time.

The dub isn't trying to be the JP and vice versa isn't the case either.

I was calling both of you wrong for talking as if thats the case.
Also available at:

Apr 21, 6:42 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to APolygons2
@LostSpectre The point is that the JP isn't any more authetic, it just happens to be the one that comes out first.

Both the dub and the JP choose VAs based on the character, not each other. The authetic voice for the character just doesn't exist, unless the creator made that character with a certain VA in mind.

Both the JP and DUB VA do the same thing.

they voice based the character, neither of them is "the authetic" one.

These days the sub doesn't even come out first all the time. A lot of shows get perfect simulcast meaning the dub and sub come out at the same time.

The dub isn't trying to be the JP and vice versa isn't the case either.

I was calling both of you wrong for talking as if thats the case.
@APolygons2 As usual, we'll agree to disagree.
Apr 23, 6:34 AM
Dec 2023
After really loving the dub in E1 (actually tearing up over it) I did not appreciate it this week. For me it felt overcooked like a stage play rehearsal, and I confirmed that feeling by watching E2 of the OG anime. In general quite an unnatural feel and Lawrence often faded to the background because of Holo's overstated portrayal.

Hopefully next week will feel more organic.
Apr 23, 7:18 AM

Jan 2013
Reply to Yorda_trico
After really loving the dub in E1 (actually tearing up over it) I did not appreciate it this week. For me it felt overcooked like a stage play rehearsal, and I confirmed that feeling by watching E2 of the OG anime. In general quite an unnatural feel and Lawrence often faded to the background because of Holo's overstated portrayal.

Hopefully next week will feel more organic.
@Yorda_trico I wasn't really thinking about it, but I could tell something was off, or less appealing than the first episode. Aside from the final scene (ep 1) where they're departing, and Holo is acting more boisterous, her performance is subdued, befitting the tone of a quiet, moonlight night. In the 2nd episode she's carrying that earlier boisterousness through pretty much the entire episode, as if she's constantly in a state of amusement. I very much preferred the former, and I'll probably just switch back to the sub if this continues.

I checked the sub again, and it's hard to compare JP/EN, but it felt a bit more subdued/less excited than the dub performance.
LostSpectreApr 23, 7:24 AM
Apr 23, 8:09 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to LostSpectre
@Yorda_trico I wasn't really thinking about it, but I could tell something was off, or less appealing than the first episode. Aside from the final scene (ep 1) where they're departing, and Holo is acting more boisterous, her performance is subdued, befitting the tone of a quiet, moonlight night. In the 2nd episode she's carrying that earlier boisterousness through pretty much the entire episode, as if she's constantly in a state of amusement. I very much preferred the former, and I'll probably just switch back to the sub if this continues.

I checked the sub again, and it's hard to compare JP/EN, but it felt a bit more subdued/less excited than the dub performance.
@LostSpectre

pretty much agree with everything you said and it really echos my feeling, she was totally "turned up to 100" for most of the episode.

her performance is subdued, befitting the tone of a quiet, moonlight night.

this is a great way to put it, and was exactly why I loved that softer scene from Episode 1 so much, I felt in that moment that the characters and world could really exist, and it gave me complete immersion, but in episode 2 every overstated performance and constant boisterous tone was constantly reminding me "this is fiction...this is fiction....this is fiction".

Watching E2 of the original is like night and day to this episode in terms of feeling, there is especially a massive contrast between two scenes in particular - when Holo is telling Zheren not to remove her hood, and then when Holo is talking about the advancement of the church before they leave. The former just didn't capture the cunning tone as well, and the former was quite void of emotion/ lacking the same vulnerability from Holo.

In Episode 4 I am going to see how they handled one of my favourite scenes, a very important scene in which

....if they don't handle this well I may have to drop this show and go back to audiobooks.

Apr 29, 3:18 PM
Dec 2023
After feeling frustrated by unnatural performances last week I thought Brina and J.Michael were back on form in Episode 3, really loved it and felt immersed in the conversations/ banter.

Please more of this!
Apr 30, 6:10 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to Yorda_trico
After feeling frustrated by unnatural performances last week I thought Brina and J.Michael were back on form in Episode 3, really loved it and felt immersed in the conversations/ banter.

Please more of this!
@Yorda_trico I wasn't feeling hopeful given how it started, but overall there was a lot more nuance to her performance this episode.
May 1, 8:27 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to LostSpectre
@Yorda_trico I wasn't feeling hopeful given how it started, but overall there was a lot more nuance to her performance this episode.
@LostSpectre

Yeh I was expecting the worst as well, but this week really gave me hope!

Even if a story is fictional/ fantasy I want to be able to be immersed to the point at which I can feel like they could be real, episode 2 completely shut me out of the immersion, but episode 3 brought me back in <3

I have a theory that maybe E2 was the result of the main director returning from her trip away last minute, and then everything was rushed - no time to refine and have more takes to hit a better balance between "Shakespearian" and natural tones. But episode 3 could be the result of everyone having the right amount of time to work together on everything.

Keeping all fingers crossed for this level of quality to continue!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Yesterday

39 by MegamiRem »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 3

51 by MegamiRem »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 27

68 by MegamiRem »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 13

75 by LuisSV23 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 20

59 by MegamiRem »»
8 hours ago

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.