Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 31, 7:38 PM

Oct 2019
Passione is a bit tough for me to judge. The kind that spends most of their budget on eye candies or juicy content for everything else to look dull. But it might prove me wrong, though remakes never get a good rep since most of them are done poorly with no consideration for pacing, character growth, and sometimes going out of their way to make up content that diverges from the main plot of the story.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 31, 7:54 PM

Apr 2021
As somewhat of a boomer, I'm definitely not a fan of the new character design compared to its predecessor, but it's too early to judge right now. However, I was left feeling distasteful about Higurashi Gou and Sotsu, which is why I'm a bit skeptical.
Mar 31, 7:55 PM
Oct 2020
Passione is a studio that excels in ecchi shows and can do decent/average on everything else, they better do a good job thought. I still remember how bad the Higurashi remake was.
Mar 31, 8:15 PM

Apr 2021
Both of the remake directors were involved in the original anime, Takeo Takahashi as the series director and Hijiri Sanpei being an episode director in the second season, so it's not like the creative voices are drastically different. The issue in question will be if the production can sustain itself for two cours. Passione doesn't seem like it has the best management at all, for example, one of the episodes for Yuri is My Job, one of their more recent shows, had some insanely huge animation director numbers.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FxnENh1WIAILijk?format=jpg&name=medium
OongbuhMar 31, 8:19 PM
Mar 31, 8:17 PM
Apr 2023
I'm just watching this for the holo nips
Mar 31, 8:19 PM
Apr 2023
Oongbuh said:
Both of the remake directors were involved in the original anime, Takeo Takahashi as the series director and Hijiri Sanpei being an episode director in the second season, so it's not like the creative voices are drastically different. The issue in question will be if the production can sustain itself for two cours. Passione doesn't seem like it has the best management at all, for example, one of the episodes for Yuri is My Job, one of their more recent shows, had some insanely huge animation director numbers.

well that was an collaboration with an another studio
Mar 31, 8:21 PM

Dec 2017
If it's similar in quality to Higurashi Gou and Sotsu i wouldn't mind. Not too keen on the new artstyle, but perhaps it'll grow on me. Definitely looks more like the LN though
Objectivity? In my anime scoring? Of course not...
Mar 31, 8:31 PM

Apr 2021
Reply to Hickykissy
Oongbuh said:

well that was an collaboration with an another studio
@Jackson_rajkumar So? That doesn't mean anything. Having this many animation directors for one episode is not a good sign at all. And it's not exclusive to this, Passione projects such as Higurashi and Harem Labyrinth also had massive AD lists in certain episodes.
Mar 31, 9:14 PM
Mar 2023
so god, its okay, HYPEE 200%
Mar 31, 9:26 PM

Jan 2013
Since it's Passione I'm hoping they'll keep a good amount of naked Holo scenes, otherwise I would expect them to be fewer.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Mar 31, 9:36 PM

Jan 2020
I fucking love this studio lol
Mar 31, 9:48 PM
Dec 2009

¿Es una tercera temporada o un Remake?

Is it a third season or a Remake? /Google Translation

Mar 31, 9:56 PM
Jul 2022
If I'm being honest, the production doesn't really look that good man. I mean, from what we've seen from the trailers, it looks a bit bland, tho not bad. I'm still looking forward to it, because I've been wanting to watch this show for a long time. I just didn't get a perfect time to watch it. But now that it's getting a remake, I can complete it by watching it weekly. It'll be easy.
Mar 31, 11:05 PM
Sep 2019
If I may add, another reason why remakes don't have a good reputation is because some to most of the people watching them are caught in the nostalgia over the old net and can't properly judge and compare the 2.
But I've always been a sucker for remakes, so I go with the remake most of the time, e.g. Shaman King 2021, Bastard 2022, Rurouni Kenshin 2023. Spice and Wolf has been on my watchlist for a while, so I'm glad that I get to experience the newer version and I even heard that the old one had some big flaws anyway
MaxAkumaxMar 31, 11:08 PM
Apr 1, 12:21 AM
Nov 2020
ZeroMajor12 said:
Passione is a bit tough for me to judge. The kind that spends most of their budget on eye candies or juicy content for everything else to look dull. But it might prove me wrong, though remakes never get a good rep since most of them are done poorly with no consideration for pacing, character growth, and sometimes going out of their way to make up content that diverges from the main plot of the story.

bro, Kevin PEAKing is composing music for this. It has to be good (we shall forget about the Shit hero)
Apr 1, 2:08 AM

Aug 2013
Most of modern remakes are soulless garbage though since anime directors are average at best nowadays and lack the understanding of source material or simply don't care - they just "do their job" in conveyor manner. Changing of style is okay maneuver but changing from a slightly serious tone to wild kawaii is not. I bet modern Holo won't be dramatic during a scene of remembering her past anymore, it will be a typical child crying scene with kawaii face, big eyes, and tears if this scene will survive modern adaption at all. I am skeptical, I would prefer 3rd season than a remake from some random ecchi/kawaii studio which will fail obviously and leave us with only one worthless season.
Apr 1, 2:21 AM

Jul 2015
I have iffy feelings about Passions, because of how they somehow adapt degenerate stuff in degenerate way.

Apr 1, 2:25 AM

Jun 2020
They fucked up Higurashi so much that they adapted a school detention into a prison room, made the schoolgirl character wear orange jumpsuit and everything in a prestigious highscool 😭😭

Apr 1, 2:38 AM
Jan 2021
I hope there will be no stupid ecchi scenes that would lead to many people dropping the show after 1 episode. Just don't do it Studio Passione 🙏
Apr 1, 4:39 AM
Apr 2017
I can't wait to see some well animated titties.
Apr 1, 4:58 AM
Feb 2020
reyqq said:
As somewhat of a boomer, I'm definitely not a fan of the new character design compared to its predecessor, but it's too early to judge right now. However, I was left feeling distasteful about Higurashi Gou and Sotsu, which is why I'm a bit skeptical.

Just know tho that Chloe will not be in this anime as she was never in the books instead we had a character named Yare. I feel like people are just gonna double down on hating the anime cuz Chloe ain’t there
Apr 1, 5:55 AM

Aug 2022
I hope they will add more fan service
Apr 1, 6:21 AM
Feb 2020
1WanteD1 said:
I hope they will add more fan service

God I hope not as the only book that had fan service at all in the LN was book 1
Apr 1, 6:22 AM
Feb 2020
AshTheChamp said:
I hope there will be no stupid ecchi scenes that would lead to many people dropping the show after 1 episode. Just don't do it Studio Passione 🙏

I hope so as well. The only fan service you can find in the novels is in book 1 so we may see some stuff in the first 3 ep but after it should be in the clear
Apr 1, 7:33 AM

Jul 2017
Not sure whatsoever but I'm waiting to at least watch one episode before I just completely write them off for anything just because of their previous history of shows that they have worked on (especially with the new Higurashi seasons). I will say though, just before the premiere airs, I am more cautious than optimistic about it so if they can surprise me with a good adaptation, then I can have my mind feel at ease just a little bit.
Apr 1, 8:09 AM

Oct 2017
Idk about anything else but we are gonna get some good Holo ass shots I think? Lol.
Apr 1, 8:51 AM

Apr 2021
So remakes don’t just re-do the old content updated or update the content in the re-do?

What’s the purpose of doing then?

Just go make money?
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Apr 1, 9:52 AM

Apr 2021
Reply to Lawgun
Most of modern remakes are soulless garbage though since anime directors are average at best nowadays and lack the understanding of source material or simply don't care - they just "do their job" in conveyor manner. Changing of style is okay maneuver but changing from a slightly serious tone to wild kawaii is not. I bet modern Holo won't be dramatic during a scene of remembering her past anymore, it will be a typical child crying scene with kawaii face, big eyes, and tears if this scene will survive modern adaption at all. I am skeptical, I would prefer 3rd season than a remake from some random ecchi/kawaii studio which will fail obviously and leave us with only one worthless season.
@Lawgun
Lawgun said:
since anime directors are average at best nowadays

Shuhei Yabuta, Hirotaka Mori, Shingo Natsume, Tatsuya Yoshihara, Masaki Yuaasa, Kazuhiro Furuhashi, Masami Oobari, Ryu Nakayama, Shota Goshozono, Kazuto Arai, Rie Matsumoto, etc. There exists plenty of great directors still in the industry currently.
Apr 1, 9:11 PM

Apr 2021
Reply to Astrid_Bear
reyqq said:

Just know tho that Chloe will not be in this anime as she was never in the books instead we had a character named Yare. I feel like people are just gonna double down on hating the anime cuz Chloe ain’t there
@Astrid_Bear I think that's pretty common knowledge among OG fans. I don't see anyone hating on it if it's a faithful adaptation of the LN.
Apr 1, 9:28 PM
Nov 2022
Reply to MaxAkumax
If I may add, another reason why remakes don't have a good reputation is because some to most of the people watching them are caught in the nostalgia over the old net and can't properly judge and compare the 2.
But I've always been a sucker for remakes, so I go with the remake most of the time, e.g. Shaman King 2021, Bastard 2022, Rurouni Kenshin 2023. Spice and Wolf has been on my watchlist for a while, so I'm glad that I get to experience the newer version and I even heard that the old one had some big flaws anyway
@MaxAkumax nostalgia is a excuse but these remake series are bad adaptation
Apr 1, 9:44 PM
Feb 2020
Bhanu_LAW_196K1A said:
@MaxAkumax nostalgia is a excuse but these remake series are bad adaptation

Good thing the first ep was a good remake as it followed the LN to a T
Apr 2, 1:49 AM
Jan 2018
Think the staff are more important then the name of studio
Apr 2, 2:28 AM

Jan 2013

It's looking pretty good so far.

LostSpectreApr 2, 2:35 AM
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 2, 3:05 AM
Oct 2016
Passione's track record is horrendous and its got me feeling giga iffy about it but judging from the first episode so far its looking good. I know one part that can give people the wrong impression was in episode 1 where holo is naked for most of her appearance but seeing how Passione didn't overly sexualize it, it makes me have hope that they won't turn this into a ecchi at least. I have alot of hope for this series from just this first episode and I really hope they can maintain it. Spice and Wolf is one of my favorite stories of all time and in terms of talents and everything Passione really seems to have pulled out all of the stops with Kevin Penkin, Ami Koshimizu, and Jun Fukuyama so I really do believe they are putting in alot more effort into this piece vs some of their other works. So i guess to answer the question, I feel a little worried but at the same time things are looking good so far.
Apr 2, 3:19 AM
Dec 2013
It's Passione's best work so far, and the only work of theirs that is in the Top 1000. Yeah, remakes tend to rush through things that have already been adapted before, then slow down when it gets to content that have never been adapted before, but Fruits Basket (2019), Bastard!! (2022), Rurouni Kenshin (2023) and the first episode of Spice and Wolf (2024) all seem to have good pacing from the start and are faithful to the source material. Holo's design in the new anime is closer to the LN too, compared to her design in the original.
wildhoodApr 2, 4:10 AM
Apr 2, 3:32 AM

Sep 2012
I can tell you already that Ep 1 is more faithful to the LN adaptation than the OG ep 1 was. Yarei wasn't even in ep 1, he was replaced by Roberta in the original.
Oh god who are you people?
Apr 2, 3:33 AM

Sep 2012
Reply to reyqq
@reyqq Compare the LN designs to the OG anime, it's far more similar now then it was before.
Apr 2, 3:43 AM
Dec 2010
Honestly, I don't see the issue. I like the new character designs just as much as the original one - both of them have their unique charms -, and for a story as story, narration, dialogue and character driven as Spice and Wolf, it doesn't really matter to me who animates the show or how good it looks. I mean, sure, it's nice if it's pretty to look at, but it's not the main focus of it.
Apr 2, 3:55 AM

Sep 2012
I don't have an issue with Passione's animation, the OG was nothing special either at that time animation wise. All I'm really concerned about is rushing, skipping and cutting content. That is not how you treat a modern classic/ masterpiece.

I'm not saying they will mess it up, but Passione's track record isn't something to brag about.
Apr 2, 5:30 AM

Apr 2021
Reply to chakracat
@reyqq Compare the LN designs to the OG anime, it's far more similar now then it was before.
@chakracat As a matter of fact, yes, 1st episode didn't look half bad at all.
Apr 2, 4:17 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to superstorm1
Passione's track record is horrendous and its got me feeling giga iffy about it but judging from the first episode so far its looking good. I know one part that can give people the wrong impression was in episode 1 where holo is naked for most of her appearance but seeing how Passione didn't overly sexualize it, it makes me have hope that they won't turn this into a ecchi at least. I have alot of hope for this series from just this first episode and I really hope they can maintain it. Spice and Wolf is one of my favorite stories of all time and in terms of talents and everything Passione really seems to have pulled out all of the stops with Kevin Penkin, Ami Koshimizu, and Jun Fukuyama so I really do believe they are putting in alot more effort into this piece vs some of their other works. So i guess to answer the question, I feel a little worried but at the same time things are looking good so far.
@superstorm1 There's literally less ecchi in the remake, anyone familiar with the OG knows she's naked for half the episode.
Apr 2, 4:19 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to chakracat
I don't have an issue with Passione's animation, the OG was nothing special either at that time animation wise. All I'm really concerned about is rushing, skipping and cutting content. That is not how you treat a modern classic/ masterpiece.

I'm not saying they will mess it up, but Passione's track record isn't something to brag about.
@chakracat The Passione complaints are pretty irrelevant when you look at just who is heading Passione.
Apr 2, 6:56 PM

Aug 2020
Haven't even seen the 2008 anime but after Higurashi Gou my expectations are quite low.
Apr 2, 8:24 PM
Oct 2019
I have watched the original anime and it amazed me. The character design may not as good as this past year (it's an old anime anyway), but combined with how the animation directed makes it fun to watch. Not to forget the memorable sound design. It painted the comedy, thrill, casual moment, and everything so good. Without it, the anime will never hit perfect in every spot.

Now to the remake, I think it's somewhat decent for the first episode. Character design have been improved properly and proportionally. The water-colored style art are catchy in the eye, leaves me the impression of reading a child book, and it means good. The sound design so far was ok, not bad or good either.

What makes it "somewhat decent" than leave me with "great" impression besides those praises? The problem of anime direction this past year is that they have this templated-like scene that sometimes makes the anime feel bland. This was applied to me in the last scene of this episode, and Yarei character personality. Watching that makes me leave a thought "will the next episode have much many of those?" But maybe I was just thinking too much, it's just one episode anyway. Hope it will fun to watch the series, or better than the original.
Apr 2, 8:27 PM

Jul 2012
Reminds me of what I've seen of screen-shots from the VR game tbh.
Apr 2, 11:36 PM

Dec 2009
Off the first episode, and even though I have yet to read that portion just yet, soon... this anime remake seems in great hands.
Apr 2, 11:49 PM

Apr 2017
I don't know...
I LOVE the fact this is getting a new anime with a visual closer to the light novel and I certainly will watch it to the end... but somehow I felt this episode rushed and noisy for some reason,(doesn't mean I'll stop watching since I love Ami Koshimizu as Holo) the original Ost and pacing of the dialogues felt perfect in the og so I recommend everyone to give it a shot not just to this one but the original as well :D

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 3

51 by MegamiRem »»
30 minutes ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 27

68 by MegamiRem »»
58 minutes ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Yesterday

38 by RobertBobert »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 13

75 by LuisSV23 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 20

59 by MegamiRem »»
7 hours ago

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.