Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 10, 2023 9:15 PM

Apr 2022
So I’m pretty bad with depression, it hits me hard and even the smallest things can bum me out. I thought I’d watch this show because it’s by the maker of Kaguya, Ai Hoshino seemed to be a super cute waifu, and like, a show about idols would be a fun watch.

I was an idiot and the first episode had me really depressed, like I’m actually crying, and I don’t know if I want to watch this show anymore. Is there any point to it? This is just nihilism for nihilism’s sake, no part of this story has any point other than the sheer abject depression to it (I’m only basing my opinions on the first episode which is all I’ve seen). This is just so sad - should I really watch more? If the first episode hit me this bad, is it advisable to watch more?
Sep 10, 2023 9:28 PM
Jul 2022
The main ones to watch out for are episode 5 and 6
Sep 10, 2023 9:36 PM
May 2023
Oshi no Ko is a great anime, but it's not a lighthearted romcom. Go watch The Idolm@ster instead. It has boys vs. girls competition like Kaguya and idol comedy.
Sep 10, 2023 10:04 PM
Jul 2023
not in this season

later seasons will get darker
Sep 10, 2023 10:08 PM

Mar 2023
the first ep is probably the saddest out of all of them, that being said the show deals with some pretty dark themes like online harrassment and suicide so if stuff like that bums you out it'd probably be better if you watched something else instead
Sep 10, 2023 10:30 PM
Mar 2022
SCAREDgorilla said:
The main ones to watch out for are episode 5 and 6

and last, definitely the best imo with the studios' unique twist to a certain scene
Sep 10, 2023 11:15 PM
May 2023
Rest of the show is goofy as fuck filler except for episode 6
Sep 10, 2023 11:16 PM

Jul 2015
I don't think it's a controversial statement, that this show peaked at episode one, which doesn't mean that show is bad by any means.
While episode one is a total 10/10 by itself and arguably the best singular episode in anime history, the rest of the show is a strong 8,5/10. My only gripe was with this whole Komachi-B resurgence arc, which I just didn't cared about, because I'd prefer to see Aqua chasing after his mommy's killer.
That's just my personal take.
PiromyslSep 15, 2023 2:42 PM

Sep 10, 2023 11:24 PM
Aug 2022
watch it you're gonna miss so many things if you don't watch it.
Sep 10, 2023 11:25 PM

Jun 2016
People are saying the rest of the season gets happier when there is literally an episode that deals with online harassment and suicide.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 10, 2023 11:41 PM
May 2023
Theo1899 said:
People are saying the rest of the season gets happier when there is literally an episode that deals with online harassment and suicide.

that's one episode. literally one. and you're saying this as if she doesnt get help
Sep 10, 2023 11:56 PM

Jun 2016
Reply to holo-simp
Theo1899 said:

that's one episode. literally one. and you're saying this as if she doesnt get help
@sayu-simp
Don't get so upset mate I'm just pointing out this series isn't as sunshine and rainbows as some previous posts made it out to be. Yes it's mostly a funny comedy but there is at least one depressing section every two episodes and since I don't know OP's threshold for depressing stuff I believe I should at least provide a more accurate picture than just "it gets happier".
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 10, 2023 11:59 PM
May 2023
Theo1899 said:
@sayu-simp
Don't get so upset mate I'm just pointing out this series isn't as sunshine and rainbows as some previous posts made it out to be. Yes it's mostly a funny comedy but there is at least one depressing section every two episodes and since I don't know OP's threshold for depressing stuff I believe I should at least provide a more accurate picture than just "it gets happier".

ik , but it mostly gets happier after the first episode and others have pointed out that there are some EPs to look out for. this show isn't in the slightest happy, it's quite dark but it does get happier after the first ep.
Sep 11, 2023 12:06 AM
May 2023
Theo1899 said:
@sayu-simp

There is one suicide episode and the rest is goofy af stop trying to hype it up like it’s some dark show lol
Sep 11, 2023 12:20 AM
May 2023
It’s a great show. Their manner of addressing the TW mentioned above more than makes up for including a TW. That said, only you and maybe your closest friends would know whether you can stomach this or not.

I reckon if you have someone watching those TW episodes with you, you’ll be better off in the long run armed with additional tools to address TW things
Sep 11, 2023 12:59 AM

Jun 2016
Reply to Issax28
Theo1899 said:
@sayu-simp

There is one suicide episode and the rest is goofy af stop trying to hype it up like it’s some dark show lol
@Issax28 Let's just meet in the middle and say that it's more like an AM waveform with the y axis being the goofiness.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 11, 2023 1:45 AM
May 2023
Theo1899 said:
@Issax28 Let's just meet in the middle and say that it's more like an AM waveform with the y axis being the goofiness.

Nah you literally can’t name a single highlight of the show other than EP 1 and 6
Sep 11, 2023 2:12 AM
Jul 2023
IinoMikoBestGirl said:
So I’m pretty bad with depression, it hits me hard and even the smallest things can bum me out. I thought I’d watch this show because it’s by the maker of Kaguya, Ai Hoshino seemed to be a super cute waifu, and like, a show about idols would be a fun watch.

I was an idiot and the first episode had me really depressed, like I’m actually crying, and I don’t know if I want to watch this show anymore. Is there any point to it? This is just nihilism for nihilism’s sake, no part of this story has any point other than the sheer abject depression to it (I’m only basing my opinions on the first episode which is all I’ve seen). This is just so sad - should I really watch more? If the first episode hit me this bad, is it advisable to watch more?

bro see, if you had survived "i want to eat your pancreas", then you will eventually also survive this and moreover, you have watched the saddest episode of series which is ep1. so you will be fine. continue watching this masterpiece. also, it is the reality of idols.
Sep 11, 2023 2:35 AM
Jun 2022
as a show thoroughly it isn't as dark as the first episode, I'd suggest you to continue watching but if you're that sensitive to dark stuff then just skip ep 6 I guess or look out for a recap for what happened in it so you can get the bigger picture.
People die if they are killed.

- A wise man
Sep 11, 2023 3:15 AM
Aug 2021
The story has a good mix of upbeat and downer. Still, while the story is worth it, there are some very heavy stuff ahead on the topic of depression. I think it's okay to wait it out until you feel more emotionally stable.
Sep 11, 2023 3:39 AM
Jul 2020
First and most important of all, you have great taste in best girls.

Second, the show isn’t actually nihilist, like, at all. Dunno why you got that vibe. It had sad things but the general vibe isn’t particularly heavy all the time.

Either way, the rest of the first season is completely safe (other than one specific episode). That said, once season 2 hits, it WILL have many more depressing moments.

Not in a nihilist kind of way, but in a “dealing with severe PTSD” kind of way.

I say watch it. If you like Kaguya-sama, there’s no way you won’t like it.
Sep 11, 2023 4:00 AM
Jun 2023
IinoMikoBestGirl said:

Since you're pretty bad with depression you can go further in the anime since it's not that depressing as much as the 1st episode

Watch out for ep 5 n 6 tho but im pretty sure you'll be satisfied with how it ends cus the end isn't that depressing or anything

The rest of the show is mostly comedy And Aqua doing Aqua things along with the other girls
Sep 11, 2023 4:09 AM
Apr 2021
IinoMikoBestGirl said:

its all fiction tho, ik knowing your genre, what affects you and what u should avoid its important but it rly is fiction it shouldn't have any influence over you no matter the outcome.
now turning to the show in question it does get brighter, the show its about the reborn twins after all, it does have a "arc" per say about smthing depressing but if u get to it and start feeling bad i recomend binging the next shows cause (SPOILERS) everything gets better. hope it helped
Sep 11, 2023 4:19 AM
Mar 2021
ep 1 is saddest one the only sad part further in season 1 will be like 2 episode long otherwise it is just normal cute slice of life
Sep 11, 2023 4:26 AM
Apr 2022
It shows both the great and the awful parts of the entertainment industry. Some episodes can be inspiring and heartwarming, while others will be painful to sit through. That’s just life
Sep 11, 2023 4:44 AM
May 2022
Like many people said, there's one or two episodes that are heavier, in terms of depression and almost suicide. Episode 5 or 6,im not sure, is one you should be weary of. It depicts someone in a downward spiral with suicidal thoughts.
This show may seem lighthearted, and in some moments is, but there's a lot of dark moments. This is a show about showbiz, after all.
Sep 11, 2023 5:53 AM
Jan 2022
I can sometimes relate to that. i believe this show is not for the faintest of heart. But knowing what is promised (finding the culprit and making it in the entertainment industry) is gonna be so fulfilling after the hardest of hits.

Also if you like kaguya sama then its a must watch because almost every comedy in this show still hits as good as kaguya sama and balanced out the serious moments on the show

Anyhow I personally would like it if many more people get on this rollercoaster ride of emotion that this show brings especially with the 2nd season confirmed
Sep 11, 2023 5:54 AM
Apr 2023
after the first episode it dose not get better from there
Sep 11, 2023 5:55 AM
Sep 2023
for who are saying it is not good after ep 1 kindly read manga if my calculations are correct season 2 ending gonna be a great cliphanger
Sep 11, 2023 7:32 AM
Jun 2023
Yes you should because it has
More story and drama and I really love episode 6
Sep 11, 2023 8:29 AM
Jul 2022
IinoMikoBestGirl said:

It get really good after ep I’m liking past ep 1 more than ep 1 I’ve read and caught up with manga there’s a lot of great scenes in moment in season 1 and what’s gonna come in following season
Sep 11, 2023 10:06 AM

Nov 2020
Bruh it’s an anime 😭
Sep 11, 2023 10:18 AM
Jan 2021
I’m just gonna ignore the dumb arguing above..

I’d say you should probably not continue. The overall story is supposed to focus on the effects of being a famous idol and the dark truths about what they go through behind the scenes. It’s also a revenge story.

Other than one episode in the middle of the season, I’d say the first season isn’t too dark and has happier episodes compared to the first one. However, season two will likely get super dark.

I wish you luck whether you decide to watch it or not!!
Sep 11, 2023 10:18 AM

Dec 2014
The first episode is a unique emotional roller coaster. In my opinion it is only a downhill after the first episode because the rest is nowhere as emotional, but it is still good and interesting. However in your case it will probably be the other way around because since it nowhere like that after it, what you watched is exclusive to the first episode and the rest of episodes are in a lighter in tone, so you should keep watching. You will feel better.

“There are two kinds of arrogance. One where you are unequal to the task and one where your dreams are too big. The former is commonplace stupidity... but the latter is a rare species that is difficult to find.”

Sep 11, 2023 10:29 AM

Apr 2020
If you go: "Oh, God - Im so sad, after this" over: "Oh, this Show is a bit weird", after the first Episode -> Then I think it's absolutely for you and you should keep watching.
Sep 11, 2023 12:28 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Stop watching now and just leave the rest up to your imagination.

I still really liked it, but I just can't help but feel like it has become a different show altogether after the first episode.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Sep 11, 2023 5:26 PM
Dec 2021
IinoMikoBestGirl said:

I apologize in behalf of some of the people here for not really contributing to this post and arguing over nothing.

I can ensure you that the first episode of the anime is the darkest one. There will be another one with suicidal idiology and attempt (episode 6 I believe), but it won't get any darker than that.

As for the manga, there's a lot of chapters with dark themes (or themes that may trigger people with depression, for example).
Sep 12, 2023 9:35 PM
Apr 2020
The show isn’t all depressing but it does deal with some dark topics and if you don’t think that’s for you then I would move on to a different anime and if you ever get into a better headspace and feel like continuing then you could.
Sep 13, 2023 3:34 PM
Apr 2020
IinoMikoBestGirl said:

There is only one bad episode in the rest of the season, the rest of the show is lighthearted
Sep 14, 2023 5:43 PM
Nov 2019
It's a fantastic show, the best this year but don't continue if you aren't good with dark stuff. There's a suicide episode and it gets bad. Plus the Manga gets darker as well. I don't recommend this show to people that can't stomach dark subjects because oshi no ko deals with alot of them.
Sep 15, 2023 1:03 PM
Jan 2021
Piromysl said:
I don't think it's a controversial statement, that this show peaked at episode one, which doesn't mean that show is bad by any means.
While episode one by itself is a total 10/10 by itself and arguably the best singular episode in anime history, the rest of the show is a strong 8,5/10. My only gripe was with this whole Komachi-B resurgence arc, which I just didn't cares about, because I'd prefer to see Aqua chasing after hed mommy's killer.
That's just my personal take.

Facts. I enjoyed my horrible crying moment but that only told me how good the episode was. After that it was just your average anime show, which made me disappointed as I thought it would stay on this serious vibe but no. There were episodes where you dive into the seriousness again and they are good.
Sep 16, 2023 12:02 PM
Jun 2023
IinoMikoBestGirl said:

The show is dark but it has its happy moments despite its appearance Oshi No Ko is a lighthearted show but when it hits hard, it hits like a truck. This show is meant to invoke your emotion and it's supposed to show the dark side of the japanese entertainment industry. some of the later episodes can be very dark so if you don't think you can handle it then do not continue the show but if you want to see it through and see the show through and see what it has to offer than please continue. And don't listen to the person who said it goes all downhill because Oshi No Ko is a great show with a very important message.
Sep 20, 2023 2:42 PM
Jul 2023
even if the first episode is really long and not that interesting, i really think you should finish it! I've watched it and did not regret it at ALL!! 😁😁
Sep 21, 2023 12:56 PM

Apr 2022
Everyone, thank you for all your comments. I read all of them, and I appreciated your feedback.

I decided to stick with the show. I watched episodes 2 through 5, and they were nice, fun, light hearted shenanigans.

Then I got to Episode 6, and man... it is incredible. It is very hard to watch, but it is the best depiction of the subject matter I have ever seen, the character in question's internal monologue felt like she was outright reading my mind and saying the kinds of things I often feel when my own depression gets bad. And the handling of it is so realistic (the trance state, her just wanting to get away from her own thoughts, her reaction when she's saved).

I dont know, it obviously triggered a very strong physical and psychological response from me, I had to spend 30-40 minutes calming down after it, but it was so incredible. it is undoubtedly one of my favorite episodes of anything ever put on TV.

More topics from this board

» Any reason why Idol became overwhelmingly popular?

Mattenan - Yesterday

47 by Kaze1214 »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Usopp8000 - Mar 27, 2023

2681 by WSP__2 »»
May 24, 3:54 PM

Poll: » Would you like to marry Ai given the opportunity? (first ep spoilers)

Shizuna - May 6

40 by A_Yaze »»
May 11, 8:38 AM

» Overhyped

Mooogle - May 9

41 by KayKimii »»
May 10, 11:44 AM

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yuyuichi - Jun 28, 2023

680 by Darkiiii »»
May 6, 10:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.