Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 18, 2023 5:53 AM

Aug 2019
Hello,

I just finished Monster, I read some topics and opinions about what's left mysterious, but I still have a question that was bothering me in the entire story.
How was Johan able to know the past of almost any character? even some characters that seem to have no connection with Johan in his past, he was still able to know a lot of info about their past, enough to manipulate them as he wish.
Manga readers who can't help themselves in spoiling/hinting about upcoming events need a lot of help.
Aug 18, 2023 5:58 AM
Sep 2019
I'm guessing his own connections, lot of groundwork and past incidents and articles I think๐Ÿ˜…
Aug 18, 2023 6:03 AM
Aug 2020
it's probably because he has a lot of money
Aug 18, 2023 6:55 AM
Jul 2019
DaaraD said:
Suspension of disbelief and plot armor are pretty common in Monster and some peopel think it's very realistic heh

What in the hell are you talking about
Aug 18, 2023 6:56 AM

Feb 2022
I think he manipulates only them, whom he can reach the past. and for the past he does groundwork that is now shown in the story. or a uncertified behaviour scientist who just knows human interaction too well
Aug 18, 2023 7:25 AM
May 2022
He probably used his manipulation power and the influence he grew among people in different places from where he could gather the information.
Also money and perhaps careful choice on who to target.
Aug 18, 2023 7:54 AM

May 2022
he had abs :
"anime bullshit science"
but ehh i m cool with it anyways๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Aug 18, 2023 8:51 AM

Aug 2019
Icywisy said:
I think he manipulates only them, whom he can reach the past. and for the past he does groundwork that is now shown in the story. or a uncertified behaviour scientist who just knows human interaction too well
I don't think so, there is some points where he needed to manipulate some ppl to either do something for him or to just kill themselves just like what happened with Richard Braun, Johan was able to lead him to his death just by the info that he gathered about him, but still we never knew how exactly he gathers these information about his victims.
I think the only case where I saw how Johan knew the past of his target was Schuwald, since Schuwald was visiting Johan's mother when Johan was a child and he was telling her stories about his ex and his son.
Manga readers who can't help themselves in spoiling/hinting about upcoming events need a lot of help.
Aug 18, 2023 8:52 AM
Jan 2023
MahSiNi said:
Hello,

I just finished Monster, I read some topics and opinions about what's left mysterious, but I still have a question that was bothering me in the entire story.
How was Johan able to know the past of almost any character? even some characters that seem to have no connection with Johan in his past, he was still able to know a lot of info about their past, enough to manipulate them as he wish.

Because of Helmout Wolf's co-operation..
Aug 18, 2023 10:57 AM
Oct 2022
Your mistake is that you think he got where he was over a night. What you see is the result of years of digging almost everywhere, everything and everyone he needed, and thought it would come in handy. People think manipulation is just a talent, but it needs information and the right way to use them.
Aug 18, 2023 11:44 AM
Jun 2021
DaaraD said:
Suspension of disbelief and plot armor are pretty common in Monster and some peopel think it's very realistic heh

surely this comment is just bait lol i wont even bother explaining it
Aug 18, 2023 2:57 PM
Aug 2023
He is able to manipulate everyone in this world.
I'm pretty sure I would commit suicide if Johan really tried to force me to do it.
---
If he can do that, he'll also be able to get some information.
Aug 18, 2023 5:34 PM

Aug 2020
Not sure about "ANY character".
Aug 18, 2023 5:43 PM

Aug 2020
MahSiNi said:
Johan was able to lead him to his death just by the info that he gathered about him, but still we never knew how exactly he gathers these information about his victims.
and how exactly is this a problem?
Aug 18, 2023 7:02 PM
Aug 2023
Either through his network or tracking his target. He did that with Nina early on, making him all the more threatening.
Aug 18, 2023 7:12 PM
Dec 2022
MahSiNi said:
Hello,

Obviously because he has connections to the police and many high government people as shown how they literally idolized him etc.
Aug 18, 2023 8:41 PM
Jul 2021
Kvothe_1 said:
he had abs :
"anime bullshit science"
but ehh i m cool with it anyways๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Bruh , there's no where his abs were shown
you are the one typing bullshit
Aug 18, 2023 9:34 PM

Dec 2021
I don't have any problems thinking he could have gathered past knowledge of anyone he wanted to manipulate, but will anyone explain how was he able to mimic anna's voice when he disguised her?
Aug 18, 2023 10:36 PM
Jul 2023
I think he has the same premise as Magnussen from the BBC series Sherlock, where he has either looked into people and brokered information, or has sleeper agents that look into this, since Johan is very manipulative. I think it's more his ability to integrate himself into other people's lives (and become Nina as well) that made him susceptible to this information.

But most of them did have connections to Bonaparte and grew up in West Germany anyways, so he could have known them in the past who had done him wrong or stood out to him.

I've only watched the anime, but I have the manga I can borrow, so I'll try to see if it goes in any more detail. But that's the opinion atm.
Aug 19, 2023 2:46 AM

Apr 2016
vinnywizanime said:
I don't have any problems thinking he could have gathered past knowledge of anyone he wanted to manipulate, but will anyone explain how was he able to mimic anna's voice when he disguised her?

That's just a problem with the anime.
We saw "her" in the manga and we don't know how her voice sounds. When those scenes were recreated in the anime, they would have to decide whether use directly her voice or give that hint to the watchers.
Aug 19, 2023 4:08 AM

Dec 2021
Daninokuni said:
vinnywizanime said:

That's just a problem with the anime.
We saw "her" in the manga and we don't know how her voice sounds. When those scenes were recreated in the anime, they would have to decide whether use directly her voice or give that hint to the watchers.

some things just fit better in the manga cause with the anime you have to show the audio which could reveal a lot, but in my view they should have gone with johans voice just a bit feminin even if it reveals a lot. Big plot hole this in the anime
Aug 19, 2023 12:27 PM
Jul 2023
MahSiNi said:
Hello,

Bro you can't even tell if he was a being or not
Aug 19, 2023 12:51 PM

Jul 2016
I'm more concerned about him being able to rock a black dress way better than his sis.
Aug 19, 2023 3:39 PM
Mar 2020
I don’t think many ppl understand Johan at all. He’s not per se a real character, but moreso a phenomenon or as the title says, the monster. You remember the poem with the monster entering pool’s bodies and eating them from inside? That’s supposed to be Johan. He’s an actual monster, something supernatural.

So how does Johan knowing all that make sense? It doesn’t. Johan is a very subjective character to look at and very philosophical, so in my interpretation of his character, he’s not a real person. He’s like the antichrist.

๐˜š๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ ๐˜ค๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฎ๐˜บ ๐˜ฆ๐˜บ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด, ๐˜ ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ฏ’๐˜ต ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Aug 20, 2023 6:25 AM
Mar 2020
Dwarrp said:
MeVike said:
I don’t think many ppl understand Johan at all. He’s not per se a real character, but moreso a phenomenon or as the title says, the monster. You remember the poem with the monster entering pool’s bodies and eating them from inside? That’s supposed to be Johan. He’s an actual monster, something supernatural.

So how does Johan knowing all that make sense? It doesn’t. Johan is a very subjective character to look at and very philosophical, so in my interpretation of his character, he’s not a real person. He’s like the antichrist.

I would have rated Monster higher if it was explicitly shown he has supernatural powers rather than having manipulation talents that are somehow beyond human. 

Monster is a psychological thriller. As the genre mentions, it’s psychological. You’ll have to interpret if by yourself. You don’t really get psychological anime that show you everything. You need to get your own answers. There’s also really not right answers, it all just depends on how you see the story and the characters. No one is gonna outright come and give you the answers. You’ll have to make your own.

๐˜š๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ ๐˜ค๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฎ๐˜บ ๐˜ฆ๐˜บ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด, ๐˜ ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ฏ’๐˜ต ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ.

Aug 20, 2023 6:29 AM
Mar 2020
Dwarrp said:
MeVike said:

Monster is a psychological thriller. As the genre mentions, it’s psychological. You’ll have to interpret if by yourself. You don’t really get psychological anime that show you everything. You need to get your own answers. There’s also really not right answers, it all just depends on how you see the story and the characters. No one is gonna outright come and give you the answers. You’ll have to make your own.

Coping excuse to explain Johan's  powers but whatever you say.

And that answer just shows you can’t think for yourself. Well everyone is different, so it’s ok. If you’ve read other Urasawa mangas, they all have unexplained phenomena that can really only be explained through supernatural means, but then again, all of his works are up for interpretation.

Aug 20, 2023 6:42 AM
Mar 2020
Dwarrp said:
MeVike said:

And that answer just shows you can’t think for yourself. Well everyone is different, so it’s ok. If you’ve read other Urasawa mangas, they all have unexplained phenomena that can really only be explained through supernatural means, but then again, all of his works are up for interpretation.

Says the self-entitiled moron who rated classics like Akira 5 Lain and GITS 6  yet an edgefest like Elfen Lied  7 and shonentard stuff Belacvh 8 and thinks Monster is the "BEEEST PSHOLOGIVAL ANIMU EVAH"  Get over yourself edgy zoomer boy.

Well thank you for thinking of me highly enough to even stalk me. If you checked out my profile, you’d know I said “my ratings are solely based on enjoyment” meaning no matter how well written a story is, if I don’t enjoy it, I won’t rate it highly. I like Elfen lied and bleach for different reasons lol. How can you compare shounen to sel or the edge fest of Elfen lied to Akira? They’re not the same hence the enjoyment is not the same.

Akira and SeL are too avant-garde for me. Nonetheless I did enjoy sel, and not so much Akira. I also never stated that monster is the best psychological anime.

Hey, I’m only trying to tell you that multiple anime need interpretation (Akira and sel which you mentioned are no different). But as I said, if you can’t think for yourself, it’s ok. Everyone lacks something. For you, it’s just intellect, my stalker friend who is too scared to state an opinion on their real account.

Aug 20, 2023 7:32 AM
Mar 2020
Dwarrp said:
MeVike said:

Well thank you for thinking of me highly enough to even stalk me. If you checked out my profile, you’d know I said “my ratings are solely based on enjoyment” meaning no matter how well written a story is, if I don’t enjoy it, I won’t rate it highly. I like Elfen lied and bleach for different reasons lol. How can you compare shounen to sel or the edge fest of Elfen lied to Akira? They’re not the same hence the enjoyment is not the same.

Akira and SeL are too avant-garde for me. Nonetheless I did enjoy sel, and not so much Akira. I also never stated that monster is the best psychological anime.

Hey, I’m only trying to tell you that multiple anime need interpretation (Akira and sel which you mentioned are no different). But as I said, if you can’t think for yourself, it’s ok. Everyone lacks something. For you, it’s just intellect, my stalker friend who is too scared to state an opinion on their real account.

Cope all you want but your shit taste and your inability to understand actual deep shows like Lain and GITS are obvious to all "my friend".

And that’s why I’m saying you lack intellect. Saying things like I don’t like gits and sel bc I don’t understand them. Well you’re wrong on both things- anything I rate above 5 is something I’ve enjoyed, or better put, something I didn’t regret watching. It’s quite ironic that you say that I didn’t understand the shows, despite you being here looking for answers to Johan’s powers… on a psychological anime. I doubt you can understand that though.

But sure my friend. It’s as you say, I’m just coping and I’ll gladly keep doing so. Hopefully you leaned something from this talk. Have a great day/night in advance.

Aug 20, 2023 7:52 AM
Mar 2020
Dwarrp said:
MeVike said:

And that’s why I’m saying you lack intellect. Saying things like I don’t like gits and sel bc I don’t understand them. Well you’re wrong on both things- anything I rate above 5 is something I’ve enjoyed, or better put, something I didn’t regret watching. It’s quite ironic that you say that I didn’t understand the shows, despite you being here looking for answers to Johan’s powers… on a psychological anime. I doubt you can understand that though.

But sure my friend. It’s as you say, I’m just coping and I’ll gladly keep doing so. Hopefully you leaned something from this talk. Have a great day/night in advance.

Making up imaginary shit from your ass saying that I am here looking for answers, when there is no such thing, to prove your little zoomer-ass right... Tell me, my boy , were you born retarded or have you perfected being one in your lifetime  ?

Keep coping my friend

Aug 20, 2023 8:03 AM
Mar 2020
Dwarrp said:
MeVike said:

Keep coping my friend

I edited my previous post so upur little reatdred brain can hopefully understand ฤฐt better. Go read it again.

Troll getting trolled… what a lovely sight. Keep coping my friend

Aug 21, 2023 12:34 PM
Jun 2022
WalterBlack59 said:
DaaraD said:

watch out, the edgy teens will complain and tell you to go back to SAO or dragon ball
Aug 21, 2023 12:53 PM
Jul 2019
taleco said:
WalterBlack59 said:

watch out, the edgy teens will complain and tell you to go back to SAO or dragon ball

what do you mean by that
Aug 22, 2023 9:40 PM
Jul 2019
He is super genius and you're not supposed to question his plot armor.
Aug 23, 2023 6:20 AM
Aug 2013
In the anime monster, everyone is connected that's probably why. You say "no connection" however the thing is everyone in the anime is connected somehow through some means. That's what truly makes monster one of the best written anime and manga of all time. Every single event, place, person and thing is connected and has a purpose in the story. Even a character you think is not connected actually is, if they're not directly connected to Johan himself they would be connected to either Tenma or another relevant person Johan is studying and researching. Johan gets all this information from people, he's very good at manipulating people and getting this information. We don't truly know how he gets all the information but we know how Johan operates and that he can pretty much get information on anyone. He would've researched everyone connected to Tenma, his sister, all his enemies, etc...We even know Johan was working with the police which you see in the anime he had corrupt police on his side too probably giving him information as he needs too
~AnimeDownUnder~

Sep 16, 2023 8:01 PM

Jun 2015
Reply to ValiWood
ValiWood said:

This. You don't point the plot issues with series, ever.
Sep 16, 2023 8:13 PM

Mar 2013
Johan is more of a force of nature character more than anything. In short, how he knows it is irrelevant when considering the main moral dilemmas this series offers and the question it asks. Those being how responsible is Tenma for Johan's continued existence and what resonsibilities he has in ending it, and what turns a child into a seemingly purely malevolent individual of the highest orpder.

While it is a mystery, it is also a psychological thriller rather than a crime oriented one; how things are commited while nice, are a little less relevant.
Sep 16, 2023 8:49 PM

Jul 2016
Suspension of disbelief...

A ton of suspension of disbelief.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

160 by Finn086 »»
Today, 4:28 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

204 by Finn086 »»
Today, 4:06 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 4, 2008

139 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
Jun 1, 9:16 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

95 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
Jun 1, 5:00 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 56 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 15, 2008

104 by AdomaniaP »»
Jun 1, 7:35 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.