86--EIGHTY-SIX (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 28, 2023 1:38 AM
Mar 2022
Cudlyyy said:
ZaddyShaxx said:
I really enjoyed the second cour. However, I do feel as though it was weaker than the first. Missing out on Shin and Lena’s interactions hurt the cour but did make for a more emotional finale. I found the pacing to be slower in the earlier part of the cour (Eps 13-15) but it did pick up story wise as it went on. And Rei was a far more compelling villain and character than Kiriya was. I was torn up by Rei’s death but didn’t feel a thing when Kiriya was put down.

Overall I found them to be rather similar in quality but the first cour had a far more compelling antagonist.

(If it’s any consolation, volumes 2 and 3 which were adapted in the second cour are considered to be the weakest in the series since the author wrote the reunion in Ep 23 as an epilogue to Volume 1 which was originally a standalone story. Its success garnered sequels but she was cornered in to the ending. It’s all uphill from here.)
First are you saying that 86 was supposed to end at episode 11 but it was too popular so it continued.

Not quite. It’s as addie said; the reunion in ep 23 was an epilogue in volume 1, which was released as a standalone Light Novel. But it was incredibly popular and well received so the author started writing more volumes but couldn’t do anything drastic between the end of volume 1 (Ep 11) and it’s epilogue (Ep 23). Hence the plot armour and slightly weaker storyline. She really picks it back up again with Volume 4 onwards though so if you’re at all interested in the series they’re definitely worth a read.

Hope this clarifies things.
Jul 28, 2023 3:22 AM
Jun 2023
i think for me part 2 was much better then part 1 becoz so many of the mystery are now solved and at the same time I would have been disappointed if San alba were the only one left in the whole world so i was happy when will get to know that shin didn't die a worthless death (he didn't even die), alba got what they deserved , there were countries other then San magnolia and we get to know about legion more now i m looking forward how the story line goes from now on
Jul 28, 2023 5:32 AM

Sep 2021
S1 was mystery and relationship building but 2 was more many thing more
Jul 28, 2023 8:09 AM

Jan 2021
addie1998 said:
Wym random enemy? They were always fighting the same enemy, as for the anime they're not really supposed to die the anime just did that which I hated because they want you to buy the light novels...
I said random army.
Luffy is a little overated.
Jul 28, 2023 8:12 AM
May 2021
heavily disagree, both parts are great but part 2 was incredible and one of my favorites
Jul 28, 2023 8:39 AM
Aug 2021
bro part 2 was miles better than the first, both are 10/10 for me, but part 2 almost made me shed a tear
Jul 28, 2023 10:05 AM
Aug 2019
Cudlyyy said:
So I recently finished 86 and I am just wondering if I am the only one who isn't a big fan of season 2. Like to me season 2 really just came out of nowhere they were supposed to die then they are suddenly fighting for a random army. If the show was an anime original I feel like it should've ended after season 1.

This is just my opinion I am hoping to see other peoples opinion on this

I like season 2 more personally but i can see how some people liked the first season more
Jul 28, 2023 10:19 AM
Feb 2021
I personally liked part 2 better (by a fair margin), but each half has a different feel, tone, and focus. So it makes sense that it’d be split opinions to me
Jul 28, 2023 12:04 PM
Dec 2021
Cudlyyy said:
So I recently finished 86 and I am just wondering if I am the only one who isn't a big fan of season 2. Like to me season 2 really just came out of nowhere they were supposed to die then they are suddenly fighting for a random army. If the show was an anime original I feel like it should've ended after season 1.

Season 2 is soooo perfect
Jul 28, 2023 8:01 PM
Mar 2021
Absolutely not, part 2 was much better. Much more plot development and climactic moments. The ratings speak for themselves, part 2 is comfortably in the top 100 on MAL.

Part one is good but it's a lot of setup and world building. It's well written but definitely less impactful than what it was setting up.
Jul 29, 2023 8:49 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Maybe a re-watch would bring them closer together, but right now for me, Part 2 eclipses Part 1 hard

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jul 31, 2023 10:30 PM

Apr 2020
the last 2 episodes alone makes it better than the whole first season wym

┌─❈❇❈─┐

└─❈❇❈─┘

Aug 3, 2023 3:21 PM
Jul 2023
Cudlyyy said:

it's because the anime did not do a great job representing the transition from vol 1 to vol 2 and 3. originally vol 1 was a one shot which explains why there's a little disconnect there and the reason they live is kinda bs but whatev. it's much better explained in the novels but it's very hard to piece together in the anime. essentially rei (shins brother) saves them. the legion wreck they were found in (episode one part 2) is rei.
I definitely don't agree with them just randomly fighting for another army as there were 4 episodes explaining how that process came to be and it was one of the central themes of cour 2
Aug 7, 2023 4:29 PM

Aug 2020
Both parts are alright. I prefer the first for personal reasons and I was hyping it since its announcement.

Aug 10, 2023 10:45 AM
May 2021
Cudlyyy said:
BitChilly said:
I disagree with this, part 2 has a different focus compared to part 1. Part 2 is more focused on our characters, namely Shin as he struggles to find a purpose to continue fighting.

The Special Recon Mission they took in the end was an act by the Republic to kill off the remaining veterans but it didn't, they survived because they were rescued by the Federacy (More details are shown in volume 2). The part where you mention the random army, they enlisted into the Officers program because the group didn't feel satisfied living in peace inside the Federacy and chose to enlist due to their pride being what is left for them.
Also worldbuilding, showing that there's other countries beyond the Republic. It sets the stage for future volumes in the LN as the war progresses and develops for both the Legion and Humanity.

This is just my personal opinion though, you can disagree or agree with whatever I said.
I understand to me it just didn't make sense how they almost died then all of a sudden are fine and they go to fight for a new army. I know this move is a set up for future volumes but those future don't really need to happen since the end of part 1 would've been a good conclusion to the light novel and or anime. Just my opinion on it.

I respect your opinion. When i watched it for the first time I also was a bit lost with that sudden change.
Source material was inferior to anime, but it was clear with what happened on the battlefield before they were transported to Giad. Anime made it a bit too subtle. In LN it makes much more sense.
Aug 14, 2023 11:08 AM
Feb 2022
I agree, I preferred the first part. I find the introduction of the new characters and their relationship with existing ones quite rushed in the second season.
The result is that it's hard to get attached to them. I take the imperial princess as an exemple.

Still I find the last episodes interesting si it stills hold points for me.
Aug 19, 2023 10:01 AM

Jan 2021
Incredibly so, yes, the second season (part) was worse than the first one, and that is surprising because the first season was already pretty bad.
Aug 20, 2023 4:26 AM
Aug 2023
Ionliosite2 said:
Incredibly so, yes, the second season (part) was worse than the first one, and that is surprising because the first season was already pretty bad.
Bro probably thinks Evangelion is deep because some children are depressed. 
Aug 20, 2023 4:39 AM

Apr 2020
Thought it was a bit better. I liked that it's focused more on Nouzen + the new characters were interesting
Aug 22, 2023 9:26 PM
Aug 2016
Cudlyyy said:

Alright, so what I have heard from LN readers is that First half of S1 adapts Vol 1 of LN while Second half of S1 adapts Vol 2 and 3. Originally, Asato Asato had planned to write only a single volume, which was pretty strong. But then people loved S1 so she decided to continue writing the story. Turns out that she had not planned out Vol 2 and 3 so well, hence it turned out to be weaker in comparison to Vol 1. 

HOWEVER, the good thing is that apparently these volumes are the weakest part of the entire story so far, and it only continues to get better from here, with the handler and the pilots reunited. So, I am hopeful about the future of the story.
Aug 26, 2023 8:44 AM

Jun 2019
The lack of Lena is absolutely infuriating in every conceivable way.

Agreed. Lena deficit is alone disgraceful. I've still yet to finish this second season/second cour of the first season since around a year and a half ago now when it concluded and am back here because I've been thinking about watching the last several episodes from this and a few other shows I've had hanging in my Currently Watching list since late 2021 to early 2022.

But I'll never forgive how they delivered such a Lena-deprived set of episodes.
WatchTillTandavaAug 26, 2023 8:47 AM
Sep 17, 2023 3:49 AM

Oct 2013
Nope. I think exactly the opposite: it was way, way better than the first one. Better storytelling, direction, animtion, and less scenes with Lena.
Sep 21, 2023 5:01 AM
Sep 2018
I think preference for different kinds of shows plays a role on why people preferred Season 1 over Season 2. I liked S2 more simply because it stopped going full hard on the 86 dropping like flies and Vladilena getting traumatized by the whole situation and went on what’s happening in the world outside of Saint Magnolia. The slower pace helped ease us into the new world and give us more information on how the Legion are progressing. In general, S1 is way more action packed while S2 focuses a lot more on the drama and political aspect. Plus, S2 explores the trauma of the 86 much better than Season 1 which was mostly from Vladilena’s perspective.
Oct 22, 2023 8:25 PM

Apr 2015
Agree. I'm disappointed with part 2. If I knew about the existence of frederica and the fact she is so annoying I'd have not even bothered watching this. Also, this arc seems so dull. Nothing that interesting compared to the action in part 1. The only new character that had some potential IMO was Eugene.
I was also very confused with all this republic, federation thing. I don't think they explained that well. It felt rushed. The pace of several episodes was very slow as well. I had to force myself to keep watching some of frederica's monologues and tantrums.
Nov 16, 2023 10:00 AM

Jan 2019
Agree, I think a lot of it is vibes based but the fairytale ending of part 2 did nothing for me but the bittersweet ending of part 1 hit me like a truck.

Nov 19, 2023 7:15 PM
Nov 2023
Both the season are good
Dec 8, 2023 2:07 PM
Mar 2017
I think both were great in there own way. Very different but I liked them both equally.
Now i'm sad there is no S3 :-(
Jan 9, 5:37 AM
Jan 2021
Maybe because it was much better, storywise, character writing wise and emotionally
Jan 18, 2:53 AM
Jan 2024
Season 2 is peak. Cmon S3
Jan 24, 1:47 PM

Oct 2016
I really wanted to like this part. The worldbuilding elements from part 1 were clunky and didn't make a ton of sense, but the characters had heart and brought it together. This just felt so bland comparatively. The worldbuilding falls apart immediately, so many elements from season 1 were never explored (though I understand there is a continuation in the light novels), and they left out what could have been one of the most compelling portions of the series. The actions taken by Bloody Regina in the Magnolia Empire left so much to be desired. Why the name? How did she get the 86 to follow her to death? What was the final battle in the streets like? What is the fallout regionally for what happened? What happened to the chain of command that allowed her to be a foreign diplomat of sorts?

I get that this series was never about any of this, really. It was about the interpersonal character moments. What bothers me is that these elements get brought up as concerns or portions of the story that are important, and then never touched on again.

Also, this is a personal issue, but I found the final four episodes so frustrating. It really pushed the in-your-face nature of the situation too hard and I found myself struggling to care. I just couldn't bring myself to be invested in the young girl and her knight. It didn't help that the original writers just don't know how to write children accurately, and her vague backstory made her nature very confusing.

I found it so disappointing.
N3rdieBirdieJan 24, 8:06 PM
Feb 7, 9:20 PM
Oct 2017
Way too much Focus on Frederica, the whole change of army and Lena changes was passed by way too fast, this was poorly paced.
Feb 23, 3:28 PM

May 2021
I agree with you. S1 is a lot better than season 2, just feels more interesting.
Mar 29, 6:38 AM
Mar 2017
Both a great and while different they compliment eachother well. I want more!
Apr 18, 7:09 AM
Sep 2021
I really enjoyed every minute, but I'm in love with the anime, I watched it twice and I really want a second season. Sorry bad eng br here :/
Apr 19, 7:38 AM
Dec 2019
I do like Season 1 more as a contained experience. I think this season is very good and a skillful expansion from the focused narrative of part 1 into a much broader world and narrative. But its just necessary to push over a hump during that change. I'm not sure if the light novels continue that upward trend but this show does a great job pitching this universe and characters.
Apr 24, 10:11 PM
Nov 2020
I thought the same, I watched the first part twice. But I dropped this one at like episode 9. I think part 1 was already a pretty good ending. This was a while ago tho maybe I should rewatch, but I remember the little girl being insanely annoying
Apr 25, 11:45 AM

May 2021
Reply to Detector1977
Both a great and while different they compliment eachother well. I want more!
@Detector1977 I want less of Frederica if possible. God damn it does she ruin an otherwise perfect show.
Apr 28, 4:16 PM
Apr 2024
I disagree, Part 2 is fantastic. Great way to end a season.
Apr 30, 8:49 PM

May 2019
I'm at episode 5 and totally agree with title (not reading spoilers here until finishing the episodes)

- Issue #1: Frederica, the annoying prodigy child totally out of place, that achieved the incredible feat of being worse than Lena.

Her backstory with Kiri is weak and asspulled, she is always destroying the serious tone that the situations should have.

Oh come on, right now in episode 5 the Legion did an attack that killed dozens of thousands of their companions! And 1 minute later, there is Frederica being tsundere and comic relief WTF. All the tension of 1st season is gone.

Issue #2: The script is terrible now. How the Fall of the Republic moth****ers was OFFSCREEN!? Come on everyone was rooting for the Legion to kill all of that nazi racists, and the anime sumarized that in 10 seconds lol.

Also, if in the Season 1 the plot was:

- "Republic Nazis do genocide against the 86 minorites sending them to death in battle",

now it is

- "Annoying Federation torture the 86ers asking them, all the f* time, to not go to war, and just let thousands of Eugenes to die" LOL

I hope the last episodes can save this season, but i can't see a way out of this mess.
Rob7Apr 30, 8:52 PM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» [SPOILER]. If they make a second season would it be a romance?

Superninjaboy2 - Jun 3

12 by Flacion »»
Jun 4, 10:50 AM

» Light Novel after anime??

RadicalSanta - Oct 11, 2022

23 by rayanDON »»
Jun 1, 10:12 AM

Poll: » 86 Part 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2022

535 by riwandha »»
May 31, 1:34 AM

Poll: » 86 Part 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 20, 2021

155 by Ronin_4011 »»
May 20, 5:28 AM

Poll: » 86 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2021

340 by HYPERCOE »»
May 15, 12:11 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.