Forum Settings
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 8, 2023 10:44 AM
Jan 2021
I wanna watch this movie but i found out that i have to watch the previous seasons in order to watch this, so sell me on this show wheather its worth it or not!
Jan 8, 2023 10:54 AM
May 2021
its fun and interesting if you like slice of life, has sci fi elements that are cool and theres a sense of mystery over the entire series. this is a decent series but i truly think the movie is tiers above the show however the show is still fun so i think its worth it to watch thru the show to get the the masterpiece of a movie. I suggest you skip the endless 8 arc tho because its 8 episodes that are identical and it gets boring and tiresome, you can get the gist of the arc if you watch the first and last episodes of the arc
Jan 8, 2023 10:55 AM

Jul 2015
One of the last roles of Aya Hirano before she got cancelled.

Jan 8, 2023 11:48 AM
Jan 2014
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is one of the best anime films of all-time and is absolutely worth watching no matter what even if you have to watch 24 episodes. Does that motivate you to watch the series?
Jan 8, 2023 11:52 AM

Aug 2009
#2 more or less described what to expect. I recommend you to watch the first two seasons in order to get to know the characters better. Otherwise you won't get the full experience of the movie.

You shouldn't have too high expectations of the show, though (at least the two first seasons). If you've already watched plenty of slice of life or high school comedies you won't see anything new or groundbreaking. It was simply good for its time.

The movie is on another level, though, and will definitely be worth the watch.
Jan 8, 2023 12:26 PM
Aug 2021
the endless 8. best part of the series. best of luck!
Jan 8, 2023 12:31 PM
Aug 2021
Piromysl said:

wait she got canceled?
Jan 8, 2023 12:35 PM

May 2020
the best concert episode in all of anime
one of the best songs ever to come from an anime
a very good dub

Jan 8, 2023 1:18 PM
Sep 2022
Not a huge fan of the series - the movie was good, seasons 1 and 2 were just okay, nothing special for me, i didnt really like the fillers and found myself bored watching them. If you dont like slice of life genre that much i think there is a high chance that you will get bored a little, but you can give it a try i guess, after 3 episodes you will see if you like it or not
Jan 8, 2023 1:32 PM
Aug 2021
No. Character limitttttt
Jan 8, 2023 1:41 PM
Dec 2007
Thapple said:
Piromysl said:

wait she got canceled?

Yep. She got cancelled hard core, she even left the country for a little bit and moved to NY for acting school. long and short of it is that photos leaked showing her having sex with her band. If you Google it you can get the whole story, there's some more to it but that's the gist.

Her career has shifted, and she does theater now
Jan 8, 2023 2:07 PM

Oct 2012
Let me sell this to you. Back before 2006, there were a lot of school anime of course, but there weren't many school anime that focused specifically on characters creating an after school club that did various things. The explosion of the popularity of Haruhi is what inspired all these shows to come, including Sket Dance, Hyouka, and dozens of others. However, none of these shows are exactly what Haruhi is, which is some combination of mystery, sci-fi and romance. In the original broadcast order (which you should watch it in), you would have struggled to speculate what happened next, why they were happening, and the arcs such as the murder mystery on an island gave somewhat of an adventurous vibe that keeps you on the edge. In chronological order, which the show was released in, some of that tension is dispelled from having the reveal happen too early in the show.

Also, The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi, the movie, is actually a great example of sci-fi done right. If you've seen the Bunny Girl-senpai movie, there are numerous parallels. It's clear, in fact, that Bunny Girl-senpai was greatly influenced overall by Suzumiya Haruhi, and not just because it's an after school club anime.

You might find Endless Eight boring, especially if you found Tatami Galaxy boring, but it wasn't insignificant or pointless to the plot. While it was a bit confusing at first, and not being able to figure out what the point was contributed to a lack of attention, but eventually the point does pull through.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 8, 2023 3:51 PM

Sep 2019
you have stein gates in your favorites
Jan 8, 2023 4:32 PM

Dec 2019
Haruhi is kinda hot. Not gonna lie.
Jan 8, 2023 4:37 PM
Jan 2021
AkinorX said:

Why is having like the #4 in your favs a burn?
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Jan 8, 2023 4:55 PM

Feb 2016
It's not my job to shill Haruhi Suzumiya. The 1st chronological episode will sell itself.
その目だれの目?
Jan 8, 2023 6:27 PM
Jan 2021
AkinorX said:
yes lmao, Why? (character limit)
Jan 8, 2023 6:31 PM

Sep 2019
_txhsin__ said:
AkinorX said:

selling point / similar taste to haruhi (you'd enjoy it)
Jan 8, 2023 6:35 PM
Jan 2021
AkinorX said:
_txhsin__ said:

selling point / similar taste to haruhi (you'd enjoy it)hmm bet
AkinorX said:

selling point / similar taste to haruhi (you'd enjoy it)
hmm bet ill watch the 1st episoide
Jan 8, 2023 8:19 PM
Aug 2021
GGcc78 said:
Thapple said:

wait she got canceled?

Yep. She got cancelled hard core, she even left the country for a little bit and moved to NY for acting school. long and short of it is that photos leaked showing her having sex with her band. If you Google it you can get the whole story, there's some more to it but that's the gist.

damn then is there no way another season will come out (copium)
Jan 8, 2023 8:21 PM
Dec 2007
Thapple said:
GGcc78 said:

She's gone on record saying she would do haruhi again and has revoiced her older roles from time to time after the incident. She even had a small role in Maid War, but for the most part hadn't done anything major in a long time.
Jan 8, 2023 8:33 PM
Aug 2021
GGcc78 said:
Thapple said:

She's gone on record saying she would do haruhi again and has revoiced her older roles from time to time after the incident. She even had a small role in Maid War, but for the most part hadn't done anything major in a long time.

ooh okay then thanks
Jan 9, 2023 7:21 AM

Feb 2021
It is a show about a spoiled brat that is apparently a god that bullies and rapes her club mates and everybody has to go along with it cause she is a god. Although she doesn’t know she is a god. Also she wants to film the rape and show it to the whole school…

If you like bullying watch this if you don’t like your main character being a spoiled piece of shit don’t watch this show.
Jan 9, 2023 7:21 AM
Jul 2022
_txhsin__ said:
I wanna watch this movie but i found out that i have to watch the previous seasons in order to watch this, so sell me on this show wheather its worth it or not!

Think of it like a more action packed bunny senpai and all the characters are very kewl and fulfill they're role very well + it has a decent amount of fanservice if you're into that stuff
Jan 9, 2023 2:39 PM
May 2021
dissapearance of haruhi suzumiya makes it worth it. even endless 8. the anime is pretty good but the dissapearance is an absolute masterpiece. Well worth it.
AshikhiJan 9, 2023 2:43 PM
Jan 9, 2023 5:07 PM

Oct 2012
elderonn said:
It is a show about a spoiled brat that is apparently a god that bullies and rapes her club mates and everybody has to go along with it cause she is a god. Although she doesn’t know she is a god. Also she wants to film the rape and show it to the whole school…

If you like bullying watch this if you don’t like your main character being a spoiled piece of shit don’t watch this show.
And Clannad is about a passive aggressive creep with nothing better to do, but doesn't want to admit it, getting dragged around by a bunch of girls that all seem like they have Down syndrome but still made it into high school somehow, and this stereotypical nice guy tries to solve the problems of everyone he meets like Captain Save-a-hoe. And Gintama is about a bunch of freeloading townies that dodge rent, fight the police, and do nothing all day buy roleplay samurai and pick boogers. If you like being a loser, watch Clannad and Gintama. If you like your main character having a life and being productive in life, don't watch these shows.

See? We can do that with everything.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 9, 2023 8:39 PM

Apr 2017
If you need selling on one of the most influential 2000s anime of all time that’s your problem dude.
Jan 10, 2023 2:10 AM

Feb 2021
Someone is mad ahhahaha
I just literally summed up one of the arcs in this show. I did not degrade it at all, I just told it how it is. Unlike how you degraded the other shows. She literally is a bully and irredeemable and should not have friends (but that is just my opinion that I concluded from the facts that she bullied and raped a girl). 

You called the MC of clannad " Captain Save-a-hoe" as a way to degrade him and the show. I just said that she is a bully and a god, two objective FACTS, and the show even tells you that haruhi is a spoiled brat, so your presentation twists and degrades a show and mine objectively shows the facts that were presented in the script of the series. 
Jan 10, 2023 3:02 AM
Feb 2021
Phantom1412 said:
the endless 8. best part of the series. best of luck!

You sick SOB…..
Jan 11, 2023 8:19 AM

Dec 2019
JetAway said:
how old is she again?

Well, that's classified information, but taking the endless eight into account, she must be at least 595 years old.
Jan 12, 2023 4:19 AM

Jul 2015
GGcc78 said:
Thapple said:

Hirano overall is very vocal, that she would gladly reprise her old roles, so we will most likely hear her again in Fairy Tail.

Jan 19, 2023 11:25 PM
Nov 2018
_txhsin__ said:
Did you end up watching?
Jun 1, 2023 1:28 PM

Apr 2023
Its not just school shit lol, theres lot more than what things seem to be on the surface. Since all kinds of super natural stuff is uncovered as time goes by and the character development of yuki nagato is pretty amazing too.

If we're talking meme wise, endless 8 is bragging rights if you went through all of it.

Overall yeah, i'd say its worth wathcing.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Who is your favorite girl?

Shizuna - May 24

21 by melody_melon23 »»
May 26, 12:40 PM

Poll: » The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya Movie Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Feb 5, 2010

1000 by MorphoX »»
Mar 8, 6:34 AM

» Kyon's decision (spoilers)

NDskies - Sep 19, 2023

17 by honyax »»
Feb 25, 1:41 AM

» Haruhi Suzumiya will have an official announcement soon…

Yuri_Niji - Dec 17, 2023

18 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 12, 2:51 AM

» Wow that was a great movie!

Zoopiez - Jun 28, 2022

18 by anizawa89 »»
Nov 29, 2023 3:11 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.