Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 6, 2022 2:11 AM
Sep 2020
Seems that Sonny Boy stats got refreshed recently. Jumped to #889 in popularity, I think it used to be around #1000, and the score jumped from a 7.67 to a 7.73

I'm telling you time will treat this show very well, as scores from binge watchers start taking over the scores from uninterested seasonal viewers 😎
Apr 6, 2022 2:30 AM
Mar 2021
It felt to me as a much better weekly show than a binge watch. A week allows you to process the developments and enter into discussions with friends and community. Curious to know the reason behind the gradual rise in score...
Apr 6, 2022 2:42 AM
Sep 2020
jinayvora21 said:
It felt to me as a much better weekly show than a binge watch. A week allows you to process the developments and enter into discussions with friends and community. Curious to know the reason behind the gradual rise in score...

Oh yeah, I totally agree that a slow consumption makes for a much better viewing experience with Sonny Boy. By binge watchers I meant to refer to those that are picking up the show after it aired, which may or may not binge watch it. The main difference between these demographics is that many seasonal viewers often watch a show just because it's airing and perhaps mildly interesting, and not because they're particularly attracted to the show or genre. I think Sonny Boy doesn't necessarily satisfy a general audience but is a great show for its target audience, if that makes any sense.
Apr 6, 2022 4:14 AM
May 2020
I never binged it but I enjoyed it weekly as it aired. The discussions around each episode was fun and it gave you time to think about each episode in detail. But I do agree time will treat this show well and I’m glad it’s getting more and more recognition, however slow that may be.
Apr 6, 2022 4:40 AM

May 2021
yay, it will eventually cross 8
peace>2
Apr 6, 2022 12:01 PM
Aug 2020
I personally binge watched it a little bit after it finished airing but i still loved it so much..it got stuck in my mind for months i would randomly recall the scenes and think deeper into them realizing many things i didnt notice at first..its one of the best animes i watched and personally i love the character development for both Nagara and Mizuho
Apr 6, 2022 6:38 PM
Sep 2019
Yeah, I have a feeling it will end up a cult classic along the lines of Tatami Galaxy. It deserves it, too.
Apr 7, 2022 4:21 AM

Aug 2017
if i hadn’t watched sonny boy weekly i wouldn’t have watched it to begin with afterwards but eh to me i had problems with the characters not having inner monologues. i’m a bit stupid to understand symbolism & shit like that so i was super fucking confused most of the time. again i read subs most of the time on the screen and if i wanted or not some of the symbolism crap i am bound to miss especially if the stupid german sub has some complicated words i barely use and thus have to think twice about what it means. so i definitely would have liked sonny boy more if the characters explained their actions through monologues but aside from that animation was top notch so i ended up with a 5/10
Apr 7, 2022 4:40 AM
Sep 2020
-Elevate- said:
if i hadn’t watched sonny boy weekly i wouldn’t have watched it to begin with afterwards but eh to me i had problems with the characters not having inner monologues. i’m a bit stupid to understand symbolism & shit like that so i was super fucking confused most of the time. again i read subs most of the time on the screen and if i wanted or not some of the symbolism crap i am bound to miss especially if the stupid german sub has some complicated words i barely use and thus have to think twice about what it means. so i definitely would have liked sonny boy more if the characters explained their actions through monologues but aside from that animation was top notch so i ended up with a 5/10

It was an intentional choice not to have inner monologues, because Natsume felt that it shoves the author's ideas in your face and doesn't allow for any interpretations or conclusions from the viewer themself, this form essentially has the viewer engage with what is presented instead of having it fed to them. We all consume media in different ways, so some will enjoy this more while others prefer to sit back and be told a story more explicitly. There's no right or wrong way to enjoy anime after all, but that's what Natsume intended to do anyways.

P.S. if the subtitles distracted you too much, I suggest you watch the dub as it's pretty good too, if you can understand it without too much of a hassle that is.
Apr 7, 2022 7:10 PM
May 2020
it'll become a hidden gem
Apr 7, 2022 7:11 PM
May 2020
it wil become a hidden gem. one of my favourites of 2021
Apr 26, 2022 8:56 AM

Oct 2019
danielsalt said:
Seems that Sonny Boy stats got refreshed recently. Jumped to #889 in popularity, I think it used to be around #1000, and the score jumped from a 7.67 to a 7.73

I'm telling you time will treat this show very well, as scores from binge watchers start taking over the scores from uninterested seasonal viewers 😎

mark my words, years from now people will realize what a masterpiece this was.

I firmly believe this to be a near flawless execution of it's genre, and the only people complaining are the ones that just don't like these types of shows.

The only thing that would make it better is if there was more of it
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Apr 27, 2022 1:48 PM
Sep 2020
Apolygon2 said:
danielsalt said:

mark my words, years from now people will realize what a masterpiece this was.

I firmly believe this to be a near flawless execution of it's genre, and the only people complaining are the ones that just don't like these types of shows.

The only thing that would make it better is if there was more of it

Couldn't have said it better myself
May 5, 2022 3:41 AM
Nov 2020
danielsalt said:
-Elevate- said:

It was an intentional choice not to have inner monologues, because Natsume felt that it shoves the author's ideas in your face and doesn't allow for any interpretations or conclusions from the viewer themself, this form essentially has the viewer engage with what is presented instead of having it fed to them. We all consume media in different ways, so some will enjoy this more while others prefer to sit back and be told a story more explicitly. There's no right or wrong way to enjoy anime after all, but that's what Natsume intended to do anyways.

P.S. if the subtitles distracted you too much, I suggest you watch the dub as it's pretty good too, if you can understand it without too much of a hassle that is.

he actually didn’t implement monologues to reflect a more realistic development watched from the outside, but he made sure for the audience to at least grasp the characters’ intentions by what the mixture of what they do, say and how they do all of that. Here’s the quote: "Now, by doing away with the monologues, it's inevitable that the viewer can only tell what a character is going through emotionally by watching how they act. And there's a kind of... How can I say this? I ended up creating a sort of internal grammar, you might call it, a visual grammar, as a result of that."
May 5, 2022 3:54 AM
Sep 2020
murisio said:
danielsalt said:

he actually didn’t implement monologues to reflect a more realistic development watched from the outside, but he made sure for the audience to at least grasp the characters’ intentions by what the mixture of what they do, say and how they do all of that. Here’s the quote: "Now, by doing away with the monologues, it's inevitable that the viewer can only tell what a character is going through emotionally by watching how they act. And there's a kind of... How can I say this? I ended up creating a sort of internal grammar, you might call it, a visual grammar, as a result of that."

Yep! That's more or less what I meant to say but better explained. That's from his interview with Funimation isn't it?
May 5, 2022 4:03 AM
Nov 2020
danielsalt said:
murisio said:

Yep! That's more or less what I meant to say but better explained. That's from his interview with Funimation isn't it?
exactly! maybe for the first part i was misinterpreting your comment but yeah the quote is from the funimation interview :)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2021

161 by Zorpanur »»
May 27, 2:44 AM

» S2.

aurora_yuuki - Apr 4

19 by Reelens »»
May 26, 7:09 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2021

143 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 12:39 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 22, 2021

157 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 11:19 AM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Jamk_ - Jun 18, 2021

270 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 10:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.