Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 12, 2022 9:10 AM

Sep 2011
So to start I have to say I'm a huge fan of the series. It's one of the first anime I watched as a kid in the 90s (there was also the first Dragon Ball and Soul Hunter airing on tv at that time in my country) and got me into the world of anime and manga. So naturally I'm looking up info from time t o time.
Recently I was wondering with the recent resurgence of some titles, like for example the sailor moon, saint seya, etc. Maybe something is brewing for the Slayers universe?
The only stuff I've found recently is the Slayers Tsumeawase Blu-ray which features some misc stuff like a concert and some event movies, but also a newly written short story by Hajime Kanzaka. Thats the newest stuff I could find. Other than that there is volume 17 of the light novels that was published on October 19, 2019. That's the newest entry. But while digging I also found this (quote from the wiki article on Slayers series) : "On July 3, 2020, J-Novel Club announced their rescue license of the series at Anime Expo Lite. They first release the novels digitally, with the first chapter uploaded to their website that day.[18] Their physical release of Slayers began in July 2021 and is a 3-1 hardcover omnibus edition based on Japan's 2008 revised edition that featured new illustrations and covers"
So there is still an audience and interest in the series.
So did any of you guys(or galls) found maybe some more info? Would be really interesting to see this get a more modern treatment.
Another question is would you actually be interested in such a thing? Either a modernised treatment of the old anime or maybe a continuation of the light novels animated?
A warrior takes sword in hand,
clasping a gem to his heart.

Engraving vanishing memories
into the sword
Jan 12, 2022 11:07 AM
Jul 2018
"Another question is would you actually be interested in such a thing? Either a modernised treatment of the old anime or maybe a continuation of the light novels animated?"

I'd definitely like to see remake of this series, something like similar to currently ongoing Shaman King show. I did also was "raised" in my childhood by Dragonball, Slayers, Soul Hunter or even Saint Seiya series, because at this time we didn't have anything else in TV (I guess we can be from the same country lol). Whenever I back in memories to my childhood and think of anime I watched at that time it always give me nostalgic feelings therefore if is a slightly chance to bring back Slayers to "life" in any form I'd for sure take it without doubts. The only thing that concern me is if there'll be an new adaptation such as remake, remaster or something new I hope creators will not ruin it (I mean bad execution) and don't destroy my nostalgia.
Jan 12, 2022 11:19 AM

Sep 2011
V3RTIX said:
"Another question is would you actually be interested in such a thing? Either a modernised treatment of the old anime or maybe a continuation of the light novels animated?"

I'd definitely like to see remake of this series, something like similar to currently ongoing Shaman King show. I did also was "raised" in my childhood by Dragonball, Slayers, Soul Hunter or even Saint Seiya series, because at this time we didn't have anything else in TV (I guess we can be from the same country lol). Whenever I back in memories to my childhood and think of anime I watched at that time it always give me nostalgic feelings therefore if is a slightly chance to bring back Slayers to "life" in any form I'd for sure take it without doubts. The only thing that concern me is if there'll be an new adaptation such as remake, remaster or something new I hope creators will not ruin it (I mean bad execution) and don't destroy my nostalgia.

Yeah I forgot about Saint Seiya the old one was running at that time also oh and Record of lodoss war. Hahaha maybe I'm from Poland and they aired anime on the tv as something for kids to watch (even though dragon ball or seya had some beating in and for that time gruesome scenes with blood etc). Ahh good old times.
Hmm actually you are right. Sometimes new directors or some higher ups want to change something for the sake of change. Also I wonder who would voice it? Would the old voice actors return? They are also a part of the charm.
That's the problem with remastering or remaking something you can actually do it in such a way that it looses it's charm.

into the sword
Jan 12, 2022 11:33 AM
Jul 2018
DarkOdyn said:
V3RTIX said:

Yeah I forgot about Saint Seiya the old one was running at that time also oh and Record of lodoss war. Hahaha maybe I'm from Poland and they aired anime on the tv as something for kids to watch (even though dragon ball or seya had some beating in and for that time gruesome scenes with blood etc). Ahh good old times.
Hmm actually you are right. Sometimes new directors or some higher ups want to change something for the sake of change. Also I wonder who would voice it? Would the old voice actors return? They are also a part of the charm.
That's the problem with remastering or remaking something you can actually do it in such a way that it looses it's charm.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. In theory something new could be awesome but on the other hand it's like you say and it may lose its charm. According to our good old times I'm glad that I was raised in 90s just because we could experience really good anime shows in the common TV channel, at least not what we can see now haha
Jan 12, 2022 4:26 PM

Mar 2021
I also like Slayers. I attend Slayers events when I can, but so far I haven't heard of any plans to reanimate it. It's a miracle that the original novel was even released in the first place.

As for a re-animation, I think it will be difficult because Slayers Revolution and Slayers Evolution-R, which were broadcasted after 2000, were not that popular in Japan.

As for the original Slayers novels, I have read all 17 volumes of the main series that have been released. I haven't read some of the Gaiden volumes, though.

Part 1, volumes 1 to 8, and Slayers NEXT.
Part 2, volume 9 to 15, the story that has not been animated.
          The main members change.
Part 3, volume 17-, the story that hasn't been animated.
          The setting is a bit similar to TRY.

Volume 16 is a fanservice volume.

I don't want to spoil it, so I can't say much, but if I wanted to, I could make an anime out of the contents of volumes 9-15. However, considering the fact that the main members will change, that remakes of old anime have failed quite often in Japan, and that sequels tend to lose popularity, I think it will be difficult to reanimate.

As for Gaiden, there are about 30 volumes out, but the sidekick, or rather rival, is Naga, and even if it were to be animated, it would be a short theatrical version or OVA, so it wouldn't be suitable for a long anime.

Well, there was also a remake of Majutsushi Orphen, which was serialized in the same novel magazine, and Tenchi Muyo! which was also serialized in the same novel magazine, and a new series of Tenchi Muyo! is starting, so I can't say that there won't be a Slayers anime in the future.

Jan 13, 2022 8:43 AM

Sep 2011
kihel said:
I also like Slayers. I attend Slayers events when I can, but so far I haven't heard of any plans to reanimate it. It's a miracle that the original novel was even released in the first place.

As for a re-animation, I think it will be difficult because Slayers Revolution and Slayers Evolution-R, which were broadcasted after 2000, were not that popular in Japan.

As for the original Slayers novels, I have read all 17 volumes of the main series that have been released. I haven't read some of the Gaiden volumes, though.

The main members change.

I don't want to spoil it, so I can't say much, but if I wanted to, I could make an anime out of the contents of volumes 9-15. However, considering the fact that the main members will change, that remakes of old anime have failed quite often in Japan, and that sequels tend to lose popularity, I think it will be difficult to reanimate.

As for Gaiden, there are about 30 volumes out, but the sidekick, or rather rival, is Naga, and even if it were to be animated, it would be a short theatrical version or OVA, so it wouldn't be suitable for a long anime.

Well, there was also a remake of Majutsushi Orphen, which was serialized in the same novel magazine, and Tenchi Muyo! which was also serialized in the same novel magazine, and a new series of Tenchi Muyo! is starting, so I can't say that there won't be a Slayers anime in the future.

Always cool to meet a fellow Slayers fan!
To be honest I'm much of a Naga fan. I mean from the novels she and lina have an interaction or chemistry sort of going, so it works in that sort of rivalry sense. But I honestly prefer the full Slayers cast instead. Don't know something about her just doesn't fully click with me. Although I do remember she was in one of the old Slayers games yyyy was it on SNES? Don't quite recall. Slayers games where not top notch atleast not that one that I played.

There will be a new Tenchi Muyo? Really? Dang I guess you are right never say never. But maybe I'm underestimating it's popularity.

Well it won't be the end of the world I we don't get another animation, but maybe the series will get more novelisations?. I'm really curious about some stuff in the world. For example if we get any mention or information about Death Fog or Chaotic Blue the other Dark Lords on the plain chart. Since we know about Shabranigdu, Dark Star and LoN. Well there are more things but let's not dive into that now.

into the sword
Jan 13, 2022 4:31 PM

Mar 2021
DarkOdyn said:
kihel said:

The main members change.

To be honest I'm much of a Naga fan. I mean from the novels she and lina have an interaction or chemistry sort of going, so it works in that sort of rivalry sense. But I honestly prefer the full Slayers cast instead. Don't know something about her just doesn't fully click with me. Although I do remember she was in one of the old Slayers games yyyy was it on SNES? Don't quite recall. Slayers games where not top notch atleast not that one that I played.

There will be a new Tenchi Muyo? Really? Dang I guess you are right never say never. But maybe I'm underestimating it's popularity.

Well it won't be the end of the world I we don't get another animation, but maybe the series will get more novelisations?. I'm really curious about some stuff in the world. For example if we get any mention or information about Death Fog or Chaotic Blue the other Dark Lords on the plain chart. Since we know about Shabranigdu, Dark Star and LoN. Well there are more things but let's not dive into that now.

You're a Naga fan! That's surprising. I like the first anime with Naga in it, the movie version. Oh, and the full cast is the four good friends of justice plus one. As for the novels, the main characters in part 2 are my favorites too, but I can't really talk about them because that would be a spoiler. As for the Slayers games, I think the first one released was the most interesting. It was made in a setting after the second part of the original story.

Tenchi Muyo! is coming out, or rather, it seems that it already has. I didn't realize it until it was too late. Some of the voice actors have been changed. Tenchi Muyo! has a surprisingly large number of parallel settings.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/40097/Tenchi_Muyou_Ryououki_5th_Season

Well, I honestly don't know what kind of criteria they use to choose remakes, so I can't say that Slayers won't be animated again. Even in the novels, around Death Fog and Chaos Blue, well, they haven't come out. As for Dark Star, some of them were mentioned in Lost Universe. The world view is more science fiction.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/1184/Lost_Universe

I can't say much about Shabranigdu and LON because there are parts I'm not sure if they'll be spoilers - even if they don't get animated, I don't want to take away from the fun of the novels when they're translated and available to read in a few years. There are quite a few light novels that haven't been translated, or even if they have been translated, all the stories up to the point of completion have been translated, right?

What scares me the most is the situation where the third part has started and it's unfinished. It's a series with a slow publishing space to begin with, but the publishing space for the third part is slower than I expected.

Jan 14, 2022 11:23 AM

Sep 2011
kihel said:
DarkOdyn said:

You're a Naga fan! That's surprising. I like the first anime with Naga in it, the movie version. Oh, and the full cast is the four good friends of justice plus one. As for the novels, the main characters in part 2 are my favorites too, but I can't really talk about them because that would be a spoiler. As for the Slayers games, I think the first one released was the most interesting. It was made in a setting after the second part of the original story.

Tenchi Muyo! is coming out, or rather, it seems that it already has. I didn't realize it until it was too late. Some of the voice actors have been changed. Tenchi Muyo! has a surprisingly large number of parallel settings.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/40097/Tenchi_Muyou_Ryououki_5th_Season

Well, I honestly don't know what kind of criteria they use to choose remakes, so I can't say that Slayers won't be animated again. Even in the novels, around Death Fog and Chaos Blue, well, they haven't come out. As for Dark Star, some of them were mentioned in Lost Universe. The world view is more science fiction.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/1184/Lost_Universe

I can't say much about Shabranigdu and LON because there are parts I'm not sure if they'll be spoilers - even if they don't get animated, I don't want to take away from the fun of the novels when they're translated and available to read in a few years. There are quite a few light novels that haven't been translated, or even if they have been translated, all the stories up to the point of completion have been translated, right?

What scares me the most is the situation where the third part has started and it's unfinished. It's a series with a slow publishing space to begin with, but the publishing space for the third part is slower than I expected.

Argh sorry I acutally forgot to write a word.I've read it now that I had some sleep and had a laugh. It meant to be "To be honest I'm NOT much of a Naga fan" xD so it's the exact opposite of what came out (was really tired). Funny mistake by my part.

Hmm I remember reading fan translations of the novels online acutally. But then there wasn't any volume 17. Yeah to spacing between them is really something. I just hope that this doesn't change into another Berserk. Kentaro Miura didn't get the chance to finish his vision I hope this will not be the case here.
Hmm basically I think about almost everything is known about Shabranigdu and his fragments, (If I recall correctly) but you are right I wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone here.

Lost universe didn't work well for me. Maybe it was the sci-fi setting or maybe that I was just expecting more Slayers and didn't get it.

Huh to be honest I thought Tenchi Muyou! only had the first season that I remember on tv. It was weird but funny :)
DarkOdynJan 14, 2022 11:51 AM

into the sword

More topics from this board

Poll: » Slayers Episode 17 Discussion

xochandaox - Jan 10, 2011

22 by whatever5464 »»
May 17, 12:10 PM

» Does Slayers still have a fanbase?

RaltsPokemon - Oct 27, 2023

9 by superstaff »»
May 1, 3:07 PM

Poll: » Slayers Episode 1 Discussion

Cookie-chan- - Jul 17, 2008

45 by PugHakureiGodPun »»
Apr 8, 3:26 PM

Poll: » Remake version

DrPopCat7758 - Oct 14, 2023

4 by kihel »»
Oct 24, 2023 11:46 PM

Poll: » Slayers Episode 24 Discussion

daemonraco - Oct 2, 2011

14 by Wrongthinker »»
Aug 2, 2023 12:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.