Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 7, 2021 7:54 AM
Jul 2020
Coming out of New Testament's incredible Coronzon arc I was extremely excited to start GT, but so far not a single one of the arcs released has really grabbed me?

The first arc was certainly fun, but felt more like build-up that I don't think was properly paid off with the second arc. The third arc is actually pretty fun, nothing on the level of NT's third arc, but still enjoyable. It was the fourth arc is what compelled me to actually write this post. It felt like early GT with how boring and directionless it got at points.

I understand that we're only 4 volumes into a likely twenty-something long novel series, but still, four novels into NT we had already had Hawaii Invasion and Baggage City; two of my favorite arcs from NT.

Am I just an outlier or does anyone else feel the same?
Maybe Kamachi is just experiencing burnout.
Sep 12, 2021 7:34 AM
Nov 2019
Wow only now? After Aliester's and Othinus's arcs, Index could never peak again.

Because Kamachi is bad at consistency. One moment you have the heartbreaking Othinus arc with 10/10 writing and next you get the fanfic self insert that is Kamisato.

I still remember back in 2015 when i was new to index and saw the Deep blood arcs and Kazakiri Hyouka Arc. Going like "HOLY SHIT I NEVER KNEW I WANTED TO SEE WIZARDS FIGHTING SPECIAL FORCES" aaaaaand being disappointed afterwards because magic is always "a wizard did this" and because all scientists are all trained to be un-inquisitive sobs.

Yeah Index is directionless now, it should have ended earlier or had more consistent world building so that my payoff isn't "boom magic/science fixes shit".
Sep 12, 2021 12:39 PM
Jul 2020
thedestroyership said:
Wow only now? After Aliester's and Othinus's arcs, Index could never peak again.

Because Kamachi is bad at consistency. One moment you have the heartbreaking Othinus arc with 10/10 writing and next you get the fanfic self insert that is Kamisato.

I still remember back in 2015 when i was new to index and saw the Deep blood arcs and Kazakiri Hyouka Arc. Going like "HOLY SHIT I NEVER KNEW I WANTED TO SEE WIZARDS FIGHTING SPECIAL FORCES" aaaaaand being disappointed afterwards because magic is always "a wizard did this" and because all scientists are all trained to be un-inquisitive sobs.

Yeah Index is directionless now, it should have ended earlier or had more consistent world building so that my payoff isn't "boom magic/science fixes shit".

You're right, consistency is Index's biggest flaw.

The world of Index is deep, and I'd say has been built up perfectly. However, I do agree with you that it should've ended earlier.
There are only so many 'massive world ending event' sagas that an author can churn out before it gets boring. After Coronzon, I don't see anything being as engaging because it has simply been done to death. The author relies too heavily on Kamijou and crew in recent volumes.

I hope Kamachi's publishing company isn't forcing him to continue against his own wishes or something.
Sep 19, 2021 11:44 AM
Sep 2021
KZ100 said:
Coming out of New Testament's incredible Coronzon arc I was extremely excited to start GT, but so far not a single one of the arcs released has really grabbed me?

The first arc was certainly fun, but felt more like build-up that I don't think was properly paid off with the second arc. The third arc is actually pretty fun, nothing on the level of NT's third arc, but still enjoyable. It was the fourth arc is what compelled me to actually write this post. It felt like early GT with how boring and directionless it got at points.

I understand that we're only 4 volumes into a likely twenty-something long novel series, but still, four novels into NT we had already had Hawaii Invasion and Baggage City; two of my favorite arcs from NT.

I think exactly the opposite. NT already ends with cliffhanger of Anna's stuff while OT could have already been the end of Index, so I think that GT's existence certainly has more meaning than NT's (not saying it is better).

And I find it interesting how the fall of Aleister and Laura changed the status quo of the series. Now Aleister can no longer intervene in the problems of Academic City, and seeing Accelerator put his plan into action and the twist at the end of GT3 gives me hope for great development in his character.

About GT4, I didn't like it either because it felt like they paused the main plot to tell a generic mother-daughter love story that wasn't executed well. But even so, the epilogue showing the new characters and Aleister's interaction with Coronzon made me very excited for GT5.

Finishing:

In my opinion the beginning of GT is better than that of NT and OT if you consider only the first 4 volumes. I like this objective plot about RC Occultics and the impact it's been having on the world and I'm interested to see where all this build-up by Anna will result.

But that's just my opinion. If you want to argue about it, that's fine.
Oct 9, 2021 1:34 AM

Oct 2019
lucaspopo said:
KZ100 said:

I think exactly the opposite. NT already ends with cliffhanger of Anna's stuff while OT could have already been the end of Index, so I think that GT's existence certainly has more meaning than NT's (not saying it is better).

And I find it interesting how the fall of Aleister and Laura changed the status quo of the series. Now Aleister can no longer intervene in the problems of Academic City, and seeing Accelerator put his plan into action and the twist at the end of GT3 gives me hope for great development in his character.

About GT4, I didn't like it either because it felt like they paused the main plot to tell a generic mother-daughter love story that wasn't executed well. But even so, the epilogue showing the new characters and Aleister's interaction with Coronzon made me very excited for GT5.

Finishing:

In my opinion the beginning of GT is better than that of NT and OT if you consider only the first 4 volumes. I like this objective plot about RC Occultics and the impact it's been having on the world and I'm interested to see where all this build-up by Anna will result.

But that's just my opinion. If you want to argue about it, that's fine.

I definitely agree with all of this!

GT1 GT2 and GT3 were all good, the next one being better than the previous one each time and with GT3 being one of my top 10 volumes

GT4 was kind of a tangent in the plot so it felt frustrating, and the story wasn't executed very well BUT it had parts that further broke the status quo, and that seems to be what Kamachi is going for in GT so far

GT1-4 has been a massive buildup for hopefully a climax that profoundly changes the Toaru world and our favourite characters' situations!
I really like Raildex, Mushoku Tensei, Dragon Quest Dai, Sabikui Bisco, Re:Zero, and Monogatari!
Oct 12, 2021 8:29 AM
Jul 2019
Mhh, I personally think the beginning of GT was better than that of OT and NT, the plot is way more interesting and I'm absolutely loving Accelerator in these volumes, sure there are some problems but I'm really excited for the future.
Oct 26, 2021 1:10 PM
Jul 2018
beginning of GT is far better than beginning of OT and NT
GT2 and GT3 are easy 10/10 vols
GT4 was kinda just there but I dont really care
havent been disappointed at all so far
Feb 6, 2022 10:25 AM
Jan 2019
KZ100 said:

Wow, certainly an unpopular opinion on GT, but not necessarily wrong.

At least for me, the beginning of the NT was pretty weak compared to the beginning of the other books...

NT1's proposal for dark side graduates and freshmans was interesting, but it didn't amplify the world's absurdity as much or was full of philosophies. The writing was a bit boring and repeated a lot of statements needlessly and seeing Touma arriving as a Deus Ex Macchina was pretty irritating (this time it wasn't a well done DEM).

NT2 was very much a comic summary with some narrative swap to keep the reader entertained.

NT3 had a "camera game" intersecting with the writing, which was quite interesting, besides the way the third world war and the remains of it were relocated here (roberto Katze finally shows up here hehe).

I found the beginning of OT much more interesting and well configured... OT1 was a great introduction with mysterious hints here and there as well as a good philosophy of doom and faith in the heart (Touma's smile is very gratifying after all the past with MItsuari that he had)
OT2 was disappointing, but it served to show some of the feelings of the new Touma.
OT3 is beautiful and extremely creative with its configuration of breaking the law of human genetics to discuss the importance of life.

Finally GT seemed to be even better than OT and took the main points of Index and put it together... It expanded the absurdity of the world in a very creative and manipulative way in addition to opening space for certain philosophies.

For me the only GT volume that hasn't really been decent so far was GT4, which was pretty shallow and underexplored.

(It was a little irrelevant, but I just wanted to leave my opinion hehe)
Apr 24, 2022 9:21 AM

Nov 2019
GT 1,2,3 >> OT/NT 1,2,3

OT4<GT4<NT4

OT5<GT5<NT5

OT6<GT6<NT6

NT 4-10 is a continuous parade of great volumes, so unless THERE'S ANOTHER ARC LIKE WORLD REJECTOR, GT can surpass NT. Now whether GT can surpass Ichihanaran, Othinus or Coronzon will be seen with time.

Personally I am more worried about the talks of Kamachi competing with Guin Saga for no. of volumes and ruining the series with a lot of hit-or-miss volumes that center around some idea/inspiration the author picked up on the way. Please don't bloat the series with unnecessary additions, there's already dozens of characters under-focussed. Treating Touma as a story tool to explore new worlds is as convenient as it is harmful for his character charm.

Also, how are the sales going?
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Apr 28, 2022 10:42 AM
Jan 2019
Laplace_kun said:
GT 1,2,3 >> OT/NT 1,2,3

OT4<GT4<NT4

OT5<GT5<NT5

OT6<GT6<NT6

NT 4-10 is a continuous parade of great volumes, so unless THERE'S ANOTHER ARC LIKE WORLD REJECTOR, GT can surpass NT. Now whether GT can surpass Ichihanaran, Othinus or Coronzon will be seen with time.

Personally I am more worried about the talks of Kamachi competing with Guin Saga for no. of volumes and ruining the series with a lot of hit-or-miss volumes that center around some idea/inspiration the author picked up on the way. Please don't bloat the series with unnecessary additions, there's already dozens of characters under-focussed. Treating Touma as a story tool to explore new worlds is as convenient as it is harmful for his character charm.

Also, how are the sales going?
Wow, I liked that... I'll do it too!!!

GT1<OT1>>>>NT1
GT2>>>OT2>NT2
GT3>OT3>>NT3
GT4<<<OT4<<NT4
GT5>NT5>>OT5
GT6<<NT6>>>>>>OT6

I like how "festival" resonates... But for me, it lasts a little longer, up to NT14 at least (NT11 and NT14 are my least favorites, but I still appreciate both)
By the way, I'm one of those blessed defenders of NT12 as a sensational volume, so right... Hehe

I think this is a thought that goes through the minds of everyone who follows this series... I mean, with the friction of time, it's completely normal to lose something without realizing it, right? I think this is something that recurs in the minds of some authors who get lost in their endings or after a long course of their work.
Ah, I'm not saying that Kamachii printer is a normal writer, in fact he is one of the best in the industry and they should really be inspired by him, but..... I really worry about the inconsistency he can bring

Anyway, I particularly liked GT5 and GT6, even with the boring amount of characters without a development in the plot of the main characters of the series (Ah, my dear Index...). Guess I just want Kamijou's deeper past with Komoe-sensei? Or more about Aihana? I don't even know where this series is going anymore!!!
Well... I think that for the philosophy of "good X darkness" and how necessary this dichotomy is to compose a society, maybe Kami-yan has to break some illusions of an albino boss?

About the sales, they are decent, but going down.... GT1-GT3 had really good sales, a score of 7.5-8 in my opinion
Now GT4-GT6 only had decent sales, a 6.5 in my opinion..... It's not enough to finish the series, but if it keeps going down like this, I really get some string stuck in my heart, yeah this is worry
TAMNI-GTAug 20, 2022 6:17 AM
May 30, 2023 12:08 AM
Aug 2017
Index would never at peak again after Othinus arc, one of the best arc in fiction history. GT is just okay and will never compete with Othinus arc
May 30, 2023 11:53 PM

Nov 2019
@TAMNI-GT Continuing this trend~

OT 7 = NT 7 < GT 7

OT 8 < NT 8 < GT 8

"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
May 31, 2023 7:20 AM
Jan 2019
Well... I particularly think Corazon arc is better than Othinus, especially when related to the greatness of the completion of the aeons (NT20-NT22) and the resolution of Touma's thelema (NT22R).
anyway, it's hard to talk about without writing a long text, but I thought GT was the best start to the work so far, and GT5 and GT7 were insane! Those volumes would certainly enter the top 10 volumes of toaru for me... I thought the application of Alice's tale and the escape from real despair in Horus (described as the "child emperor") was genial! also having a great semblance in Anna Sprengel

@Laplace_kun
And wow, did anyone actually finish GT8? I'm impressed with someone reading more like a rapgod... My friend finished it in 3 hours and went crazy talking about it being the best volume in GT.
Anyway Laplace, what do you think about? Some cliffhanger that really hyped you?
May 31, 2023 7:33 AM

Nov 2019
@TAMNI-GT Oh dear, wait for GT 9 would be only less painful than that for NT9! 

Accelerator pushed to the wall.

Aleister wanting to protect the Touma he knows

Sprengel's final fate...

We eating good
May 31, 2023 11:51 AM
Jan 2019
@Laplace_kun Oh Shit, here we go again... Confront another peak ficction for my man, Kamachii Kazuma!  Thanks for the advice my big witcher
Dec 2, 2023 11:11 AM

Aug 2020
I didn't read it yet, but I hope it is a step up from the previous ones and also that it will be adapted in the future.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Favorite Transcendent

Laplace_kun - Dec 14, 2023

1 by DidiGetsRekt »»
Dec 28, 2023 11:53 AM

» volume 6 in april

01Wind10 - Jan 31, 2022

1 by TAMNI-GT »»
Feb 2, 2022 7:24 PM

Poll: » Do you wish for a new world?

Laplace_kun - Dec 29, 2021

3 by TAMNI-GT »»
Jan 4, 2022 12:26 PM

» Coloured Illustration for Volume 5

BornToFight - Nov 25, 2021

0 by BornToFight »»
Nov 25, 2021 4:21 AM

» Volume 5 releases on 10th December

BornToFight - Oct 29, 2021

2 by 01Wind10 »»
Nov 4, 2021 5:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.