Forum Settings
Forums

Any BL anime out there that can be enjoyed by a straight guy and isn't very lewd?

New
Jul 24, 2021 11:07 AM
Apr 2020
So, I have given the BL genre a few shots now, I watched Doukyuusei which I personally didn't like at all, and more recently I watched Umibe no Etranger, which was not bad, but not great either. So, is there any BL anime out there, serious or comedic, that focuses more on the emotional side of the relationship rather than the sexual side, and could appeal to a straight guy?
Jul 24, 2021 11:10 AM

Mar 2019
You can try Given, it has great backstory
Jul 24, 2021 11:14 AM
Dec 2020
Given is very good. It has a good backstory and is very emotional at times. TW for suicide though
Jul 24, 2021 11:15 AM
May 2021
Given, Doukyuusei are the best BLs in my opinion and they mostly focus on emotions. Other than those many BLs have sexual contents. But I can recommend Hitorjime My Hero and Sekaiichi Hatsukoi as well. They both have sexual content but scenes are not shown in the anime and they also focus on emotions. If you are fine with sex and other stuff then I'd tell you to watch Dakaretai Otoko too. It doesn't start very good, but their relationship's growth is pretty good.
Jul 24, 2021 11:25 AM
Apr 2020
sadeline said:
Given is very good. It has a good backstory and is very emotional at times. TW for suicide though

I will definitely check that one out. I like the animation style, and I've heard great things about it. And suicide or other dark themes are not a problem since I've seen a wide variety of that stuff in media anyways.
Jul 24, 2021 11:52 AM

Jul 2020
this isn’t out yet, but i’ve read the manga and it’s really enjoyable, it’s called sasaki and miyano. an exact release date hasn’t been confirmed yet, and as long as the studio doesn’t fuck it up, it’s gonna be really good
Jul 24, 2021 11:59 AM
Apr 2020
mochichichi said:
this isn’t out yet, but i’ve read the manga and it’s really enjoyable, it’s called sasaki and miyano. an exact release date hasn’t been confirmed yet, and as long as the studio doesn’t fuck it up, it’s gonna be really good

Hmm, that one actually doesn't look too bad. I like more lighthearted and wholesome romance in general and that seems like one of those.
Jul 24, 2021 12:31 PM
Apr 2021
Banana fish is exactly what you’re looking for. It’s a great work.
Jul 24, 2021 12:59 PM
May 2017
solavcd said:

Yuri on Ice and Banana Fish are both amazing you should definitely check them out. Both are very emotional and have great character development.
Jul 24, 2021 1:23 PM
Apr 2021
5jpdunlap5 said:
solavcd said:

Yuri on Ice and Banana Fish are both amazing you should definitely check them out. Both are very emotional and have great character development.

^
(15characterlimit)
Jul 24, 2021 3:00 PM

Apr 2021
5jpdunlap5 said:
solavcd said:

Banana Fish is hands down my favourite anime. It is insanely good but be warned, it will break your heart into a million pieces. I do not say this lightly, I am not quick to cry, no other anime has made me cry before (and I’ve watched some very sad ones), this one had me ugly crying for a solid 2 hours afterwards, plus off and on for the next 2 days. I watched it months ago, want to watch it again because it’s amazing, but I don’t know if my heart can take it. Watch it, but prepare yourself.

Yuri on Ice is also great, very sweet and heartwarming. Watch it after you watch Banana Fish to heal!

I’d also recommend Given. My (straight) husband watched it with me and liked it quite a bit.
Jul 24, 2021 6:24 PM
Feb 2021
Doukyuusei. In my opinion it's fhe best BL. No lewd scenes and great character development.
Jul 24, 2021 6:27 PM
Feb 2021
Love Story is also a good BL watch. It's risque but not lewd.
Jul 24, 2021 6:27 PM

May 2018
Jul 24, 2021 7:08 PM
Feb 2021
Weebbe said:
So, I have given the BL genre a few shots now, I watched Doukyuusei which I personally didn't like at all, and more recently I watched Umibe no Etranger, which was not bad, but not great either. So, is there any BL anime out there, serious or comedic, that focuses more on the emotional side of the relationship rather than the sexual side, and could appeal to a straight guy?
Yuri! On ice or Banana Fish
Jul 25, 2021 12:07 AM
Apr 2020
Juonithz said:
Doukyuusei. In my opinion it's fhe best BL. No lewd scenes and great character development.

I don't think you read more than the title of the discussion but I have seen Doukyuusei already, and it wasn't exactly my favorite.
Jul 25, 2021 10:07 AM
Feb 2021
Weebbe said:
Juonithz said:

I don't think you read more than the title of the discussion but I have seen Doukyuusei already, and it wasn't exactly my favorite.
That's why II also recommended Love Story in another post.
Jul 25, 2021 4:53 PM
Apr 2021
This is an movie, but I would recommend "Yes ka No ka Hanbun ka" this movie is much about feelings, one of the guys doesn't know how he feel about the other guy who's openly Bi-sexual and when they start seeing each other even outside work, the stuff developers (sorry I'm not especially good at describing stories, but hope this'll do) no sexual scenes from what I remember :)
Jul 30, 2021 5:37 AM
Jul 2021
I highly recommend “Sasaki to Miyano”! It’s currently only a manga but it’s getting an anime adaptation some time in 2022! Some of my straight guy friends have read this series and have really enjoyed it!
ryviyuJul 30, 2021 8:50 PM
Aug 1, 2021 12:52 AM
Jul 2019
Try Hidamari ga Kikoeru!! It isnt an anime but the manga it's just ❤️❤️❤️ theres a live action but i havent seen it.
The story it's a slow burn and it's about a guy who meets a guy with hard hearing and how they become Friends (and later more) the couple is just so wholesome and the way it portrays the reality of being deaf or hard hearing is interesting! You should give it a try :)
Aug 1, 2021 9:57 AM

Jun 2020
Kono Danshi, Ningyo Hiroimashita.
Kono Danshi, Uchuujin to Tatakemasu.
Orenchi no Furo Jijou

a lot of these reccomendations people are giving are actually really shitty shows wih sexual assault :P like, Yes ka No ka Hanbun ka, is pretty okay until the last 5 minutes and there's a really oddly placed rape scene between the two love interests. still really fucking confused.

I can reccommend a bunch of manga. gay anime is still very lacking in good representation :P the best kind of gay anime you're going to find are those that don't market themselves as BL, like Yuri!!! on Ice or Free!

this is all coming from a queer guy too lmao
Aug 1, 2021 6:27 PM
Mar 2021
Weebbe said:

No.6 is good. And if you read manga, I'd recommend doughnuts under a crescent moon. It's a yuri but it's not sexual
Aug 1, 2021 6:29 PM

Jun 2020
Doukyuusei is pretty good
banana fish too
Aug 1, 2021 6:30 PM
Dec 2017
bananafish is a great pick and also godchild.

Aug 1, 2021 6:38 PM

Apr 2020
Guys... Banana Fish and Yuri on Ice aren't BL...
Aug 2, 2021 6:14 AM

Jan 2021
Twittering Birds Never Fly: The Clouds Gather, maybe?

First of all I want to say that sex is the main theme, so yes, there are sex scenes. But what this anime wants to convey to the audience is about the pain, bitterness, sadness, trauma and consequences of the past and what happened because of it. The sex scene is used more as a narrative device to tell us about the characters and their internal conflicts. There are some hard to watch scenes but it was nice.

I don't know if a straight guy will enjoy this or not but at least I can say that this one is quite different with other BL anime.

But if you want BL anime that is more light, has a bubbly, sweet scenes then you can try to watch Hitorijime My Hero, Love Stage!!, and as many have suggested, Given.

Aug 3, 2021 1:59 PM

Sep 2010
Yaoi on Ice isn't BL? With a kiss? With a confession on live TV?
On-topic: I second No. 6.

There is such thing as shit taste. Only idiots think that every "work of art" should have the same value.

Persona anime are good. Deal with it.
Sep 4, 2021 4:57 AM

Jan 2013
Gravitation
No. 6

More topics from this board

Poll: » Umibe no Étranger Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FuMomo-kun - Mar 6, 2021

73 by UserZ022 »»
Apr 4, 11:30 AM

» Idk about you but I NEED A SECOUND MOVIE

LukeLippo - May 7, 2021

8 by passing_through »»
Dec 13, 2023 10:07 AM

» Why is this rated PG-13 if it has an explicit sex scene?

kari-ya - Sep 7, 2021

19 by Puppytay »»
Aug 14, 2023 9:12 AM

» I have a big doubt about Sakurako flashback :O

orlianime93 - Apr 11, 2022

8 by gulgamgug »»
Jun 23, 2022 10:27 PM

» Happy birthday chibana Mio

Sekainobaka - Dec 24, 2021

1 by cnsqwerty »»
Dec 27, 2021 9:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.