Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
86--EIGHTY-SIX (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Jun 26, 2021 7:22 PM

Jul 2020
I actually really liked this episode. It was very special how they interacted together and hanged out all in the same room, showing their unity.

Minute 10: And I also liked that black haired girl, playing Hearts with Theo and speaking gently and hateless, I hope she can develop as an important...

Minute 20: FUCK
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Check my latest web novel on Our Greatest Comeback🦊⛩️ and please drop a like or comment if you liked it!
Jun 30, 2021 9:26 PM
Dec 2020
This Episode made my whole body shiver when kirschblute died she said I don’t want to die that hurt me so much. This episode felt like a movie tbh. 86 has swept me away man it’s amazing It’s perfect man. That scene at the end bro was crazy they went off on her. There’s not much she can do to help them but she hasn’t even gotten their real names that dude legit made her cry man mans just told her the reality of their life and she can’t do much about it that hurts man. Time to binge the rest of this masterpiece.🔥❤️.
Jul 3, 2021 10:20 PM
Oct 2019
this show has "something". it's "real". i'm not saying it's hardcore or anything, but the themes in this show are not kid shit

after episode 1 i said that the leader girl was a good person but also very naive. well, yea... she got laid into good. and while i don't think she "deserved" it, she probably "needed" it. i actually do feel like she thought of them as comrades. she would talk about them to that doctor woman who is annoying af. she was finding maps to send to them even though it was against protocol. she has her nightly calls with spearhead because she genuinely seems to care about them

the guy who laid into her is the one who was out of line. but i get that he was upset at EVERYTHING (being discriminated against, essentially being slave soldiers, friends being killed, previous handlers apparently all being awful, etc), and i get that there's a lot of truth in what he said, but it still kinda sucks that he did it

i personally don't think not asking their real names is a big deal. it's just an example of her naivete, not proof of her "hypocrisy". but i understand why the 86 may perceive it as proof that they aren't viewed as actual humans

what i definitely agree with spearhead about is that even though the commander thinks she thinks of spearhead as humans, she has no issues whatsoever sending them out to complete more missions than any other unit, or sending them out at all. knowing full well that it's all a big lie based in racism. she doesn't realize for a moment that she's being hypocritical af. and i'm actually going to defend her. because of the society she's grown up in, she's the only one who considers the 86 human. she doesn't know what else is necessary or possible. it's like she thinks saying "the 86 are people too!" is enough to change things. but it's not. and the only way she's going to learn that is through experiences like this where her ignorance and naivete is put on blast. but now she knows, and i fully expect her to attempt to right her wrongs, to learn from this experience, to better herself, to help the 86 even further. and that's really all you can ask of her. you don't know how things really are until you learn how they really are. know what i'm saying? like a catch 22, sort of

on a different note, i fear that most of spearhead is going to be dead by the end of this.
HagePotPotatoJul 4, 2021 8:03 PM
Jul 17, 2021 4:40 PM

Oct 2013
I guess the criticisms are mostly from LN readers? I found this episode remarkably well directed. The cozy, contemplative tactfulness of the para-raid communication as Lena discussed her history with one of her squad and everyone listened intently; anxiety that filled me as Lena realized things were going wrong and how that entire scene was depicted from her PoV specifically: I loved it all. There's this feel that the series is plunging me directly into a character's point of view and asking me to resonate with their emotions. So far, it's really, really working. There's no reason I should already be emotionally attached to this cast or care that one of the crew just died (I don't even remember which one that was or what she looked like), but the direction made me give a shit. Powerful stuff.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jul 24, 2021 10:12 PM

Dec 2013
I have to agree that really isn't cut out for this job. She looked so broken at the end.
Aug 1, 2021 7:02 AM

May 2015
That roast at the end was deserved/
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Aug 9, 2021 3:52 AM

Aug 2013
The flag was set the moment Kaie drew the Joker card with Death on the front of it. Goddamn son.
Don't believe the hype.
Aug 16, 2021 2:00 AM
Apr 2018
"...And then these pale, silent lights began to fall from the sky, one after another."
How beautiful is that, the conversation between MILIZE and 86' members!

MILIZE : I wish i could've seen that meteor shower, too..."

Kirschblüte, that wasn't a peaceful death! But RIP!
Aug 17, 2021 7:15 PM

Jan 2017
Really digging the different POVs of the nightly Para-RAID convos, Lena's naivety thought that she was doing the right thing that clashes against the 86's hatred for the Alba through Kurena and later Theo's outburst is in full view

and RIP Kaie
Sep 17, 2021 10:27 PM

Apr 2020
Oh the ending broke me just as it did to Lena. Not only did she not realize her mistake beforehand (which is inevitable), she has also managed to finally set off the squadron that she's leading. And what a pain in the brains did it did to her.

RIP Kaie, for you have served them well.
Oct 10, 2021 4:12 PM

Jun 2020
Kind of nice seeing them take a break once in a while from all this war shit that's going on, It was hilarious seeing them watch the girls like a weirdo

Lena with her nightly talks with the 86 squad again and things seem to get a bit better but they're having some progressing conversations even just a bit

Holy that ending it was just dreadful to see, to watch, to bear.
Oct 26, 2021 5:36 AM

Oct 2016
Unlike the previous death Kirschblütes death is very well written and directed.First half didn't come off as a fan service to me,it was more like to strengthen the deaths impact even more by showing them engaging in silly,every day activities.

What i am most curious about this series trajectory is:How will Lena come to terms with her apparent moral deadlock?Because i feel that's going to be central in how all this will be concluded.
Nov 13, 2021 5:42 PM
Jul 2011
That final scene where Theo lashes out at Lena is my favourite scene of the series so far. It really drives home her own "white privilege" and "white savior" complex that Lena failed to recognise up until this point. This is something I've rarely ever seen acknowledged in anime, or any other fictional media for that matter.
Dec 5, 2021 5:26 AM

Feb 2019
Someone dies, I have goosebumps at that part.

That guy lashes at Lana at the end is too real.
Based_DepartmentDec 5, 2021 5:30 AM
Based Certified.
I love anime armpits.
Jan 11, 2022 9:34 AM

Nov 2017
I liked how they showed the same conversation from both perspectives.

&++ when a character says the name of the episode, in the episode! 😎 But that after credits scene was pretty intense. Kudos to the voice actors for that one!
Feb 13, 2022 12:21 AM

Oct 2013
Just after moments of relax and joy, the squad has lost one of its members.

I liked how one of Eighty-sixes told words of truth to Lena. In the end, after all, they are those who fight and die on the battlefield, why Albas just stay in their separate sector full of amenities.
Feb 21, 2022 4:20 PM
Oct 2019
yeah right Lena even asking the Cat name but not their real name... damn i just realized it in the post credit scene... wtf
Mar 6, 2022 4:08 PM

Feb 2018
This episode was way too wholesome to be true.. damn that ending :(
Mar 31, 2022 4:07 PM

Nov 2014
Starting with some kinda peaceful "slice if life" part of whole squad having a great time. The Boys making some food while The Girls gossiping when playing in the river. Kaiye tried to teased Kurena by talking about Shin.
The Boys trying to peek the Girls playing in the river. Poor Daiya became the scapegoat of the boys sheanigan haha...

As usual in the night, Lena calling all the member some for some light chit chat and talking about surrounding camp, Kurena aside of her hatred toward Alba's getting jealous and pissed off since Lena kept talking with Shin.

Some deep yet meaningful talk between Lena and the squadron especially talking about the hatred toward Alba's itself, and as some of them, especially Kaie believe there are few good Alba's out there, Lena herself told them why she really care with 86th as in the past she was saved by one of the 86 processor in her near death moment. There were some light wholesome talking about camp surrounding, the kitten, and Fido too afterward. After long-talk the Squad believe Lena is too kind to be handler and suggested her to step down and stay away from them. As her ambition and aspiration toward better 86th is kinda impossible to achieved.

Back to legions battle again, Lena managing the battle with her additional map that she brought, as seen in the screen like usual Shin just destroyed them 1 by 1. unfortunately when Kaie trying to flank a Lowe she step into wet terrain and stuck and... destroyed while Lena just few seconds late to tell her, with her last dying words that she didn't want to die as the screen transitioned beautifully into ED sequence...

RIP Kirschblute....

Man... Theo ranting in the end towards Lena after their grieving toward Kaie was something.... what a great voice acting by Theo VA....

r16fourarmApr 2, 2022 1:19 PM
Apr 14, 2022 2:15 AM

Jul 2015
Some nice peaceful first half with everyone hanging out but damn that end. Hearing from Lena's perspective Kirschblute's final moments is already quite sad, curious to see it from 86's perspective.

Apr 29, 2022 4:55 PM

Feb 2021
the ending sequence before the ED gave me chills negl and after the ED it was even better how the guy snapped at her, ik it’s not Lena’s fault but he spoke facts and that something i love to see in an anime.
i also love the squad’s interactions with each other and their handler Lena, this ep hooked me on thia show and hope the remaining eps are as good as this one
N2O_Apr 30, 2022 5:55 AM
bam
Apr 29, 2022 4:58 PM

Feb 2021
Also the dub is so good yall shouldn’t sleep on it
bam
Jun 3, 2022 8:25 AM

Jul 2013
It's gonna be hard to convince those 86sers that she's actually on their side which is understandable. I'm just wondering though, if there's really already millions of them who died because of the war and of course racism, that means at first they had numbers. Did they even try to resist or rebel or anything?
Aug 24, 2022 11:41 PM

Sep 2017
Finally, bitch commander gets slapped with the truth. she should have stayed home and hugged her teddy bear if she didnt want to face the harsh reality of war.

"treating the 86 like humans, but doesnt ask for real name". Word. She was treating them like weapons all the way. it is all just a facade for her.

She should have done a better job. Any military commander worth their salt can tell you that when you are dealing with wetlands, ALWAYS PROCEED WITH CAUTION IN THE SWAMP FILLED AREA.
She should have overlaid the battle positions with the map. But she couldn't. Even with the futuristic tech, she couldnt do something simple as overlaying the map.

Her naivette when telling the no of enemy units only shows how unsuited she is to the job. Every military commander skips the basics and never repeats what is already known. Just order the units and let them know quick and snap.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Sep 19, 2022 1:49 AM
munchmunch

Aug 2019
Lena is a good person but whichever guy said that at the end is kinda right, she never even asked their real names.

Oct 31, 2022 3:35 PM
Dec 2009
It ends up being a little boring the parts with just conversation lines on the phone, but when they show the other side of the story separately, it makes it even more fun.
Nov 1, 2022 2:32 PM
Jan 2022
slow n boring n basic art
Dec 12, 2022 5:38 AM

Dec 2021
The beginning was so nice, they all seemed to be getting along. Why'd they have to do us like this, this is so sad D:
Dec 14, 2022 1:54 PM
Mar 2020
Stop. PLease im begging.
Dec 28, 2022 12:25 PM
Jan 2021
Incredible episode !
Dec 30, 2022 1:17 AM

Sep 2021
Hooked up with this series starting this episode!
Jan 3, 2023 2:17 AM
Jun 2020
what a ending scene...
Jan 5, 2023 10:46 PM

Jul 2016
Not surprising considering they're all military, but the sheer speed the girls took their guns out mid-bath was funny

It's insane how symbols moving and disappearing on a radar at like 10fps can still be so chilling based on context and audio alone. Wonder how long it'll take for Lena's Pararaid calls to not be awkward after that.
Apr 10, 2023 1:19 AM
Feb 2023
It shouldn't be a shocker that the main thematic topic of this episode is discrimination - The Republic is an obvious parallel to Nazi Germany. But the show falls flat because of its regressive approach in portraying the horrors of Nazism and doesn't expand on already established conversations.

To clarify, the episodes main point is that "racism is bad" and that the minority 'race' is just as human as anyone else. I think it goes without saying that any reasonable person would agree with you. But that's just it - the show is preaching to the choir. The writing should've explored more nuanced topics, and for that reason, I think the show missed a major opportunity to upgrade its writing. The scenes where it didn't do that are spent haphazardly dancing around the more serious scenes providing very little substance or character development. Look at the start of the episode around 2 minutes in if you want an example. 

And of course you cant write an anime without the obligatory scene where all the big titted anime girls flex their ass for the camera in order to keep all the 13 year old boys with pea brains hooked. Kaie pokes a little fun at the over sexualization that's happening (or maybe I'm looking too deep into it), but even in that case I still think it takes the quality of show down. It should've been cut from the show.

While I think the writing could use some work, I would be lying if I said this show looked bad. The animation is great and the voice actors bring a lot of fluff to each character. The dynamics are a lot of fun and nuanced too - especially between the insurrectionist Lena and the rest of 86. There is some struggle inside the 86 on whether or not to trust Lena, which makes sense. But this choice by the 86 and Lena to reach across the isle, or at the very least work together, starts to mend some wounds even if they don't get along perfectly now.

Not only that, but Lena also causes controversy inside the Republic. So the consequences also hit her close to home. But this is limited and not explored too deeply.

Right now, I am thinking this show probably earns a 5.5/10. Hoping to bump that score up as I continue this series.
Lord_Death_Apr 16, 2023 12:18 AM
Apr 11, 2023 6:05 AM

Mar 2015
Main girl bonding with the members of eighty-six going well.. but not without casualties at the end oh no.
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jun 2, 2023 6:34 AM
Jan 2021
It's kinda good for yet...
Jul 20, 2023 8:06 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Kizuwono said:
Who is that kid that talk with her in the end? It actually upsets me, what does he know about her? She deserves way more better than that. I hope she gets her justice later
It's annoying both ways around. She thinks she can understand and be part of it somehow but it's not totally true since she is in a safe spot.
On the other hand they are being treated like shit. In a moment like this I guess everything just comes up again. 
Sad it had to be her though, she seemed nice / more relaxed then some others. I can already see tensions coming up with useless drama :/

Aug 23, 2023 1:52 PM
Mar 2022
Appaling,really awful
Aug 30, 2023 12:04 AM
Aug 2023
That ending was so confusing, I didn't even know which one of them was Kirschblute. I kept wonder if it was Kaie, that black hair girl who didn't mind stoic types, nor held all the white haired people accountable. It was only until reading the comments here before I was sure. I was wondering if not knowing who Kirschblute was was intentional by the show since the raging kid was saying "you don't even know our real names!" But apparently it wasn't intentional, the audience was supposed to know it was Kaie, and it was supposed to be impactful.

Wow not knowing it was Kaie really ruined that scene for me. They also did the lame trope of giving Kaie so much character development just before killing her off. That's awful writing I've come to expect from Hollywood shows, she was the only character I started liking so far because of such character development, and now they flushed it down the drain by killing her off. Plus I wasn't even sure it was her at the time which ruined whatever impact they were going for. What disastrous execution.

The raging kid at the end was done well, but I don't think in the way the show intended. It made me dislike the kid, and not sympathize with him at all. It actually made me feel sympathy for the MC, and I don't even like her naïve idealism goodie two shoes character that much. I'm more interested in seeing how she's going to respond to the dilemma, and how things will play out.
Oct 10, 2023 8:50 AM

Dec 2022
I've never seen so much clothes being worn in a bathing scene before.

The blonde kid is a real douche, talking crap to one of the Alba who's actively supporting their group. Milize even went behind the back of her superiors to give them a detailed battlefield map, so I'm not seeing where the alleged hypocrisy comes into play. Is it because Milize hasn't abandoned San Magnolia, dyed her hair black, and thrown herself in front of a Legion machine as a gesture of her commitment to their welfare? What a contrived tirade.

Shaded Horizon

Nov 11, 2023 10:45 AM

Jan 2019
Really interesting the way this show is directed. How it'll be half the episode from the 86ers perspective, only hearing Mili over the phone; and the other half will be all Mili's perspective in her sterile environment, only hearing the voices and seeing death on a computer screen.

Nov 16, 2023 8:39 PM

Dec 2019
The ending was super good but the rest of the episode was boring tbh

And the first like 7 mins are literally filler and just fanservice and not even good fanservice either
WeFeedNov 16, 2023 8:46 PM
Mar 20, 11:31 AM

Jan 2018
Rubbish episode, shit tier fan service filler & muh "you're actually one of the good ones" speech only to end in one of them dying. Who died? Fuck knows.
Mar 20, 11:33 AM

Jan 2018
Rubbish episode, shit tier fan service filler & muh "you're actually one of the good ones" speech only to end in one of them dying. Who died? Fuck knows.
Mar 20, 11:34 AM

Jan 2018
Apr 29, 7:12 PM
Mar 2024
Nice epsiode ..liked it
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

Poll: » 86 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2021

383 by Apre_Snap7 »»
Yesterday, 8:33 AM

Poll: » 86 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2021

462 by SantiOtakito »»
May 29, 5:52 AM

» Eighty-Six: The Complete Season avalable for purchase on digital

jorel262 - May 22

2 by IhnalakoKaina »»
May 22, 10:05 AM

Poll: » 86 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2021

433 by yuyiyu »»
May 22, 6:47 AM

Poll: » 86 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2021

243 by lordmisanthrope »»
May 16, 1:34 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.