Forum Settings
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 4, 2020 9:48 PM
May 2018
I've seen people calling the similarities are way too much to ignore. Is it like inception where there is some inspiration from paprika but the whole of the film is different or it is a shameless rip off, set in a very different setting that it avoids getting the attention of the people who have seen both
Jul 5, 2020 8:45 AM
Oct 2014
Disappearance has virtually nothing to do with It's a Wonderful Life in any way whatsoever. There are about as many similarities are there can be to a million other pieces of media created centuries before and decades after It's a Wonderful Life. Even the themes are entirely different. It makes about as much sense comparing them as it does saying It's a Wonderful Life and A Christmas Carol are any similar just because they occur in Christmas and have something to do with time, e.g. it's absurd beyond measure and anyone arguing that is either blind or butthurt for some reason. (Because I have seen people get mad that one of their favorite live-action films had any amount of minute similarities whatsoever to an anime film.)
Kyon_Kun_DenwaJul 5, 2020 9:20 AM
Oct 14, 2020 10:57 AM

Sep 2018
Kyon_Kun_Denwa said:
Disappearance has virtually nothing to do with It's a Wonderful Life in any way whatsoever. There are about as many similarities are there can be to a million other pieces of media created centuries before and decades after It's a Wonderful Life. Even the themes are entirely different. It makes about as much sense comparing them as it does saying It's a Wonderful Life and A Christmas Carol are any similar just because they occur in Christmas and have something to do with time, e.g. it's absurd beyond measure and anyone arguing that is either blind or butthurt for some reason. (Because I have seen people get mad that one of their favorite live-action films had any amount of minute similarities whatsoever to an anime film.)

And you seem pretty mad that someone has suggested that one of their favorite anime films had any amount of minute similarities whatsoever to a live action film. Your post reads like an angry rant rather than a rational argument.
Oct 17, 2020 10:20 AM
Oct 2014
kandi_gloss said:
And you seem pretty mad that someone has suggested that one of their favorite anime films had any amount of minute similarities whatsoever to a live action film. Your post reads like an angry rant rather than a rational argument.

Can't say I intended it to come off that way, it was just an absurd comparison and I can't see how anybody could ever call Disappearance a rip-off or similar to It's a Wonderful Life. There're a lot of comments these days about people calling titles "rip-offs" or "clones" just because they share one or two elements with another, even when they also share it with a thousand other titles and so does the supposed "original" work.
Oct 17, 2020 10:24 AM

Sep 2018
Kyon_Kun_Denwa said:
kandi_gloss said:

Can't say I intended it to come off that way, it was just an absurd comparison and I can't see how anybody could ever call Disappearance a rip-off or similar to It's a Wonderful Life. There're a lot of comments these days about people calling titles "rip-offs" or "clones" just because they share one or two elements with another, even when they also share it with a thousand other titles and so does the supposed "original" work.

Ah, I guess I didn't really read the OP and assumed they were using "rip off" in a more benign way to say the two had similar themes, since that's how I see "rip off" being used a lot these days.
Jun 30, 2021 8:39 AM
Dec 2017
those people need some grass if they call it a rip off.

Jul 6, 2021 3:41 PM
May 2020
Rip off? No, but perhaps we could consider parallel evolution. They both do have their genesis in a fairly universal philasophical question, that being "What if I had never..."

There are only a few succesful story plot lines to address the What if I had never (been born or met that crazy girl or whatever...) one being the alternative time line plot. It have been used many times, however, since "It's a Wonderful Life" is such a well known success, it is natural to see the familial connection.
Apr 4, 2022 6:55 PM

Nov 2021
While we're on the topic, I must call out the plagiarism of Back to the Future II because of that scene where Kyon sees himself from afar.
Nov 27, 2022 4:43 PM
May 2019
NonAtmospheric said:
While we're on the topic, I must call out the plagiarism of Back to the Future II because of that scene where Kyon sees himself from afar.

I almost squirted milk out of my nose, lol

More topics from this board

Poll: » Who is your favorite girl?

Shizuna - May 24

22 by Pitto_ »»
Jun 2, 5:19 PM

Poll: » The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya Movie Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Feb 5, 2010

1000 by MorphoX »»
Mar 8, 6:34 AM

» Kyon's decision (spoilers)

NDskies - Sep 19, 2023

17 by honyax »»
Feb 25, 1:41 AM

» Haruhi Suzumiya will have an official announcement soon…

Yuri_Niji - Dec 17, 2023

18 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 12, 2:51 AM

» Wow that was a great movie!

Zoopiez - Jun 28, 2022

18 by anizawa89 »»
Nov 29, 2023 3:11 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.