Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen Episode 14 Discussion

New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
May 20, 2020 3:51 PM

Apr 2013
BlueIsLove said:
We haven't really seen Nobles in this anime so that really caught me off-guard when that fat bastard actually changed his attitude, even though it's pretty common for nobles in anime to be a first class asshole.

To be exact he's not really a full fledged noble, as almost all blue robes including Mr Fat Santa are peoples who were born in noble family but where rejected by their parents for not meeting the standard of the family; they were given to the church before they hit seven.
So, way less education than a noble, way less knowledge than a noble, no tools that every noble possess, and so on. It's better not to associate the other nobles to fat santa in attitude and all.
Jun 20, 2020 8:54 PM
Apr 2012
This anime was shockingly solid.

I expected a really average anime, but this surpassed my expectations.

8.5 out of 10.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the shounen power up at the very ending, would be a 9. if they came out with a better ending, it'd be 9.5. If they didn't completely plot coupon every now and again with her knowledge, 10/10.

The all in one shampoo was where they rode the line between believable knowledge. But knowing and being able to make papyrus was a bit too far. But honestly might be nit picking since everything else was rather believable considering her love for books might lead to science experiments during science class when you're young and given a project.

This proves one thing, just setting out and telling an entertaining story is much better than trying to put unnecessary substance.
Jul 12, 2020 3:57 AM

Jul 2015
Even though I kinda didn't want Main to have any overpowered strength as main character, it was really satisfying to see her use it on the high priest.

Some episodes were kinda slow and at times a bit boring, was pretty fun watching Main making some progress towards her goal in tiny steps with the struggles of her frail body

Jul 25, 2020 6:54 AM

Nov 2016
Really unique anime, guess first anime I see after Naruto where isn't skipped progress but is detailed shown with it's failures and successes. Another unique on this anime is that protagonist isn't OP like in other animes (honestly real opposite to that except huge knowledge pretty weak protagonist). At first I started to watch it only because I saw it is isekai (since it's my favourite genre) but it is really great anime.
Sep 22, 2020 5:21 AM

Nov 2013
Blitzed it in 2 days. Amazing anime. Season 3 is also planned as I can see. Just wonderful!
Dec 20, 2020 7:54 PM
Apr 2016
Pretty solid anime but this episode was the worst by far.

In the last episode and in the beginning of this, the show was introducing us into an upcoming negotiation with logic and arguments like all the other episodes, but what do we have instead? Myne just used her magic powers and solved everything.
They almost killed that noble who is the most important person there, how is that action just forgived? and why the priest just accepted all their demands with no reason?
Jan 1, 2021 10:02 PM

Dec 2017
Shit...myne just literally turned into a god lol

But overall, this anime was quite enjoyable. A decent isekai.

Feb 19, 2021 9:04 PM
Apr 2020
-ShadowClaw- said:
This show is an example of how flawed the score system for mal is and how people are to quick to judge before they allow a show to develop. it went from 6.80 to nearly 8.

I really think Mal should adopt a policy of not allowing any scores to be shown at all until after a show is entirely aired and finished, people who finish titles noramlly have a better perspective to critisize than those who went for a first impression.

That said, it was great story and im looking foward to the next season. :)

I agree, I think this would be a great policy
Mar 11, 2021 7:30 AM

Aug 2018
Well.. Let's see, what they'll manage to achieve..
Hm, so poors don't have any rights in this world, or what?.. Well, it's totally possible..
You show that fuck, Myne!
Hm, so they managed to get all the things they wanted.. That's what matters.. I also think that there will be more good times ahead, with new opportunities, and also this new priest, who is good.. But also this white priest will probably try to sabotage Myne in the future as well.. Well, because we saw his nature, really.. Probably he'll do some shit later.. As well as Myne maybe will feel discrimination from both groups, really - both blue and grey ones.. Well, for obvious reasons.. But.. We also will have some good things in the future as well.. ;P
But yeah, it was close.. This world is unfair to the poor, it seems.. Only a miracle really stopped from the tragedy.. Without magic, all of them would be dead right now.. Well, glad to see everything resolved.. Many hard and bad things, many good and interesting things await..
Mar 21, 2021 5:27 PM

May 2019
Myne attittude is still a bit annoying, but every other character in this show was richer and saved it to me.

Lutz is really a nice boy.
Myne's familly are perfect as innocent righteous peasants.
Benno is really a mature experienced and inteligent merchant, so IN character.
Frida also a relatable smart girl.
Even the f** Fat Santa is a perfect depiction of a corrupt authority not only in fantasy but anywhere in real world.

That situation of her power explosion and the happy aftermath was a bit forced and nonsense, because even in fantasy, none person would smile and acept that easily a moster girl. The most natural, considering how the Church dont give a crap for peasants, would "talk no justsu" her bit, and later arrest her and execute her family.

Church in medieval is everything but a friendly place. In real world inquisition they killed for waaaaaaay less provocation.

If it is not happening, so it is all thanks to an abnormal good deed from the Blue Priest.

Anyways, the last scene was a bit abrupt for the end of the season. I would expect at least they coming back to the initial scene of 1st episode when the "flash"back started.

That said, surely this is better than average anime. 8/10
Mar 22, 2021 8:07 AM

Apr 2013
Rob7 said:

That situation of her power explosion and the happy aftermath was a bit forced and nonsense, because even in fantasy, none person would smile and acept that easily a moster girl. The most natural, considering how the Church dont give a crap for peasants, would "talk no justsu" her bit, and later arrest her and execute her family.

Church in medieval is everything but a friendly place. In real world inquisition they killed for waaaaaaay less provocation.

If it is not happening, so it is all thanks to an abnormal good deed from the Blue Priest.

Anyways, the last scene was a bit abrupt for the end of the season. I would expect at least they coming back to the initial scene of 1st episode when the "flash"back started.

That said, surely this is better than average anime. 8/10

The thing is, this world's church and our world's church have nothing to do with each other; at a scale that is rarely seen in fantasy worlds.
So what makes you think it is non sense is in fact, mostly due to these differences. Also having mana is not being a monster, considering that's what all the ruling class has. We're not talking about our world were she would be labelled as a witch and burned, here, having mana is a good thing for everyone, provided it's put in good use (like, serving the church, or working as or for proper nobles).
There is no" inquisition" in this world. Inquisition existing in here would make 0 sense in several way (politic, and faith organisation , at the very least).
You're correct in saying that it is a good deed from the Blue priest (Ferdinand) though. But it's a good deed that was very logical to do from that character's position and situation, so definitely not a "hey, let's be nice and not kill people" kind of "nice".
Apr 1, 2021 7:34 PM
Sep 2016
This is exactly why I hate all religions and cults
they all are animals.
They can pretend to be something better, but they all are cults.

Christianity or Islam, I know both worlds. Two sides of the same coin.

The 21st century is the age of Mankind and technology.
All religions need to be eradicated for our destiny lies amongst the stars.
Apr 2, 2021 12:55 AM

Apr 2013
Yugesai said:
they all are animals.

the church in this world is different. Without the church, peoples would starve, among other things.
May 8, 2021 10:48 AM

Feb 2014
Damn, that "crushing" scene was intense. Had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. But that damn books junkie, in her constant attempts to get her fix almost got her parents executed in a guillotine. Either way, this was probably one of the most fun and engaging anime I've watched in a long time. It's been a while since I finished a show in a day. Especially considering this is a worn out genre like "isekai". Good to see they're trying something different, instead of recycling the same templates and cliches.

Yugesai said:
they all are animals.

Traditional religions are pretty much dead in the west. But there's already the "church of woke" to replace them. And then there's communism in China. There will always be elite who think they're better than the masses, thereby giving them the right to use them however they please. Some use divine authority, others will guise their actions under "moral high ground" and "justice". Even if we start living among the stars in a post-scarcity civilization, I'm sure people will find ways to have more and rise higher than the rest. With all needs taken care of, the only thing that will give enough of a thrill will be power. Which is also why the super rich are so power hungry.
Jun 18, 2021 4:29 PM

Jun 2019
My 137th completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 7/10 rating.
Sep 22, 2021 7:32 PM

Mar 2013
That was a big 180° turn, to think a nobility in this story would have a snobbish and jerkish attitude towards a "lower class", this was probably what her Dad was afraid of but I'm glad Myne's parents didn't back down no matter what and I'm also glad Myne turned out to be able to use magic and inflict REAL Divine Punishment to the bishop, oh yeah! but I didn't expect it to be able to inflict damage to other people since it was mostly rare to have a "commoner" having magical prowess in them and there's still no magical skill being introduced IF it does exist or not lol.

Despite those horrible demanding from the nobility, I'm glad almost all of their request are approved through the head priest but I don't know the details.

This was a great season though it is rare to end it with the 14th episode but it was a great find nonetheless!
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Oct 13, 2021 5:54 AM
Dec 2017
This season has really blown me away. I found the first two episodes kinda meh, but after that it has been so good. Probably one of my favourite isekai's ever and I totally wasn't expecting it. I'm finding this show a little hard to rate
Nov 1, 2021 2:45 PM

May 2015
This was a great re-watched. Loved seeing Shem-Ha Main come out again lol. Her badass echoing voice filling her enemies with fear.

I swear though no other anime matches this one when it comes to family bond/love. The family in this series are SO CUTE!!!! God they're all great. From Guntha being the caring funny father to Tuli being a lovable sister. Its all too adorable, I love it.

Well time to re-watch season 2.
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 17, 2022 12:55 PM

Jul 2020
This is probably the best isekai I've seen. Has great similarities to Spice and Wolf and I'm pleasantly surprised to not see loli fanservice because that's sorta expected for most moe characters. Seriously the characters and story is consistently good. There were no cliches that triggered me.

Feb 23, 2022 7:11 PM

Jul 2017
Rewatched this season along with reading the novels for it and this season was a bit of an underwhelming adaptation of a disappointing and just underwhelming and insipid first part of the Bookworm franchise. The finale here definitely felt a bit rushed with the High Priest/High Bishop meeting and Myne's breakdown with confronting the High Bishop for the shit he was pulling against her father and family she cares for, and the second half of this season's episodes in general felt lacking in material compared to the books and the season didn't have the production either to make up for it. Myne's voice was more annoying than I remembered to be as well. The family aspect in this franchise is alright, still really underwhelmed by how Myne's admiration for books feel more superficial than anything with this franchise.
animejasFeb 23, 2022 7:15 PM
Mar 9, 2022 1:43 PM

May 2020
Woah, you just can't trust these nobles. Myne choking that fatty and that too in some intimidating fashion was the highlight for me this episode, or heck even this first season. Gladly things worked out later and now we know she's gonna work there with noble status that is.

Wasn't really expecting to find this series this much likeable, can say for sure I'm surprised, fortunately for a good reason. Really liked Myne as a character too, and the supporting ones too were good enough whenever given a chance on screen.
8.5/10. Expecting good things from second season too.
Apr 14, 2022 10:40 AM
Sep 2020
Shockingly great anime...Did not watch it for so long thinking it would be booring...Blown away by how good it actually was....one of the best isekai's ever made
May 10, 2022 10:33 PM

Sep 2018
That crushing scene was one of the most satisfying scenes I've seen in a long time, especially after that noble showed his true colors.

Excellent anime altogether, slow and meticulous in it's execution, one may find it rather boring as a result, but I found it a joy to watch Myne struggle, endure and overcome many obstacles and challenges thrown her way.

Yes, there's the whole thing about 6 year olds acting and articulating like an adult at times, which is why I think the main children should have been at least ten years older. Nothing would have been lost as a result.

I dunno why, but I was expecting break neck pace with regards to results or reveals (Myne didn't know about magic until episode six IIRC lol), so this was a pleasant surprise. 9/10.
May 15, 2022 7:09 AM

Aug 2017
It's funny how the blue haired guy just let it happen then, when she fought back he wants to talk things out? lmao should've killed him too but judging from what I've seen from the start she helped them instead.

"Their going to kill your Mother and Father if you kill him" He was already trying to kill them the fuck you mean.

Honestly, I don't like Myne's obsession for books. 4/10 for the anime.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jun 3, 2022 3:50 AM

Apr 2009
Wow Tuuli was actually right to fear for their very lives before they even left for the temple.

Oh man, I was hoping the once kind-looking High Bishop gets offed but that will be the worse outcome wouldn't it? Killing the High Bishop, they would get her and the rest of her family in the end, and probably salt the earth too after they're done with it.

So after Devouring, now we get Crushing, maybe there will Smashing, Shattering, and the likes too? XD

7/10 so far for me.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jun 6, 2022 6:34 PM
Nov 2019
Those two fat fucks pissed me off. That’s 1 unholy fat fuck and the other is a corrupted fat fuck.
Jun 18, 2022 1:46 PM

Sep 2012
tofei said:
Wow Tuuli was actually right to fear for their very lives before they even left for the temple.

Oh man, I was hoping the once kind-looking High Bishop gets offed but that will be the worse outcome wouldn't it? Killing the High Bishop, they would get her and the rest of her family in the end, and probably salt the earth too after they're done with it.

So after Devouring, now we get Crushing, maybe there will Smashing, Shattering, and the likes too? XD

7/10 so far for me.

Nurguburu said:
It's funny how the blue haired guy just let it happen then, when she fought back he wants to talk things out? lmao should've killed him too but judging from what I've seen from the start she helped them instead.

"Their going to kill your Mother and Father if you kill him" He was already trying to kill them the fuck you mean.

Honestly, I don't like Myne's obsession for books. 4/10 for the anime.

in her place i would have said: then i half to kill awry1 in power, if all in position of power are dead then there is no murder and accessory to murder and so they can't hurt my family sins no1 left to do so

Sugram22Jun 18, 2022 1:49 PM
Oct 7, 2022 5:55 AM
Dec 2020
Good episode, but didn't like how they ended the season.
Nov 30, 2022 11:00 AM

Dec 2020
Well that was badass and a satisfying end to this season.
Jan 2, 2023 12:11 AM
Jun 2011
I saw a clip of the scene where Mayne unleashed herself and how the parents walked in with their beliefs. That is what convinced me to start this series, and I am so glad I did.
Mar 15, 2023 2:54 PM

Sep 2017
I like this episode but I do hope Myne really learns something from this. She was completely shocked when she saw the nobles true colours but instead of getting out in the situation at someone else's hands, she was just able to use her protagonist powers to brute force a solution. Anyway overall this whole joining the church thing was executed pretty well and makes sense giving the fact that she was just gonna die if she didn't. I suppose this situation has worked out better than if she did sell herself to a noble but in theory the author could have wrote some scenario where that ends up working out similarly to what happened here. Course you have Frida's situation to consider in that case.
May 5, 2023 2:57 PM

Feb 2020
Well, at the very least this episode explained why the parents didn't even try to discuss the matter of Myne joining a noble, just like it explained her own reasoning behind sacrificing her life so she can stay with her family.
For the rest though, while the show has enough qualities to not make me view it as bad, I still have so many issues with the writing.
I won't talk again about the issue of Main having replaced the original (although I can still add that that little ship tease with Lutz is VERY questionable due to Main's real mental age), but there are other things. From this episode, there are two things in particular that I need to mention.
The first one, is that the very last scene could've been very heartwarming if Main... weren't the one who put her parents in danger out of pure selfishness. I'm getting sick of seeing her get whatever she wants without ever learning anything and only receiving some slight scolding at most (and at 20 something, she shouldn't be so worried about being scolded, that's ridiculous).
And the second one which fits with the first, is that no one truly cares about the fact that the girl almost murdered someone. Main could at least be shocked at what happened, just like her parents, yes it was magic but it was still her feelings and even that aside, she DID almost kill that guy so I don't know, wouldn't that be too much to ask for them to react more ? These guys just laughed like nothing happened, come on ! It's not a tantrum, that girl could be crazy for all we know.
And that's the biggest problem I have with the show in the end. It is that the characters' reaction often go against what would normally be expected from people. They just react the way the story needs them to, no matter if it truly makes sense. And the thing is that it not only brings out the issues I mentionned, but it also makes the dialogues sound very shallow at times. I can't say I've never been touched but I had a very hard time not feeling exterior to the story due to these problems.

Another issue I have is the pacing. I don't mind a slow pacing, I really don't but only if the characters are interesting enough to keep me invested no matter what. Here I didn't find the characters to be interesting, or at the very least entertaining enough to carry such a slow story. It's not that I'm not attached to them but they don't really stand out, the only truly memorable one being Main whose character is tainted by the issues I talked about. On top of that, the art is usually very bland, even if there has been some improvment here and there (I especially liked the scene where we discover the temple, the artstyle wasn't at its peak but the whole atmosphere was very well handled).

I do think that this show has its qualities and it does have the potential to be very good, but for now all I can see is that potential but I fail to see what makes it so beloved due to all the flaws I mentionned.
I don't want to be too harsh so for now I give it a 6 in hope next season will fix some of that, but if it doesn't then it'll probably drop to a 5 and I'd be very disappointed. I really am annoyed at stories that I know could be great but just expect the viewers to suspend their disbelief without making much efforts to rationally justify what's going on.
May 16, 2023 4:16 AM
Nov 2022
I came across the anime through a friend's recommendation. I'm actually not a big Isekai fan at all, but Ascendance of a Bookworm really surprised me in a positive way. I really love all the characters (except the bishop). Especially the relationship between Lutz and Myne is really  sweet. The anime is a 9/10 for me. I'm looking forward to the second season.
Jul 19, 2023 7:54 AM

Jul 2016
Just realized back when Myne's mom burnt the tablets, she could've gotten the same treatment as evil Santa Claus if Myne lost it.

This season finale was somehow both hype and heartwarming, can't wait for whatever's next
Jul 20, 2023 3:59 PM

May 2022
This anime didn't catch me in the beggining but it was getting better and better.
Jul 24, 2023 9:36 AM

Mar 2022
i finished this anime within 1 day and it was worth binge watch 

Oct 23, 2023 2:25 PM
Aug 2019
myne using magic looks so cool
Oct 30, 2023 9:24 PM
Jan 2023
Myne uses magic and nearly kills the high priest with it, didn't expect that. At least the negotiations were a success after that.

I can't believe this is the last episode (of the first season that is). I have really enjoyed it, this show goes way deeper than expected, and there's still so many questions, the animation is good and the pacing is damn near perfect. How I describe this show is, isekai meets slice of life, and it really does deliver. Bringing knowledge from a modern world into a medieval world is not something I've ever seen before, it's so interesting how they've done it. It also very much shows corruption in the church and how the class divide was a real issue in history.

Overall, I'm giving this a 9/10, what bugs me is Myne before being reincarnated was supposed to be in her 20s if I remember correctly, yet she sure is acting a lot like a child. It's also very clear what they were trying to do with Lutz and Myne there, but given Myne's mental age, a ship would be very questionable. If it wasn't for those two issues I would have rated this a 10/10 for sure.

I hope the second season fixes all that and is even better than this one.
Feb 14, 11:52 AM
CD enthusiast

Jan 2024
A really enjoyable series! Usually I have zero interest in things centering around little girls or whatever, but this was unique and fun. The ending wasn't amazing, but I guess it's just the first season. Looking forward to finding out what's next for Myne ^_^
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2019

67 by AnchientProphet2 »»
May 27, 11:55 PM

Poll: » Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 12, 2019

161 by AnchientProphet2 »»
May 27, 12:52 PM

Poll: » Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 20, 2019

92 by Dawizz »»
May 20, 6:04 PM

» Anime or manga

Hickykissy - Mar 26

6 by Phoenix35 »»
Mar 29, 3:25 PM

Poll: » Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2019

74 by Paczek-12 »»
Feb 21, 5:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.