Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 27, 2019 3:17 PM

Aug 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
just watched Luo Xiao Hei for the first time and it was absolutely jaw-droppingly gorgeous, in both the fight animation, background art, and with character fluidity. xiaohei and wuxian are so cute ~

it was literally ghibli level quality and i loved it so much

people need to recognize that china is becoming big in the animation department, with this, nezha, and mdzs becoming huge phenomenon, people are hopefully going to start coming around to donghua :D

btw if anyone needs help finding the movie subbed just dm me!!
Nov 10, 2019 2:24 PM
Jul 2018
i neeed that subbed
Dec 10, 2019 8:58 PM

Oct 2018
absolutely worth a watch- I'm definitely watching this over and over
"You're not my dad"
Dec 13, 2019 6:31 PM
Feb 2017
Wow that was awesome so glad I found a fan sub :) why can't they play movies like this ins US Thetures. I would love to support them!!!
Jan 7, 2020 8:17 AM
Aug 2019
FurbyOfDeth said:
Wow that was awesome so glad I found a fan sub :) why can't they play movies like this ins US Thetures. I would love to support them!!!

Please can you send the link
Mar 17, 2020 1:52 PM
Jul 2018
That's... I didn't expect it to be THAT good! I found it by accident and decided to watch it only because the cover art was pretty. Oh boy, I'm glad I did that. I hit the jackpot. It has a good and solid plot with many funny moments, the animation is top notch, the landscapes are gorgeous and all of the characters are likeable.
Apr 25, 2020 4:35 PM
Apr 2018
I put off watching for months what's wrong with me that was amazing lol
Jun 25, 2020 8:57 PM

Dec 2011
I wasn't expecting that wtf so beautiful, my feelings are jumbled now.

My friends and I watched together and we just came off from a Netflix party session with Ne Zha. The only thing I knew would be that there'd be a character cameo from that somewhere, LO AND BEHOLD, THERE HE WAS! Ne Zha in modern clothing!! Something so seamless, yet another layer to the enjoyment.

Animation was spectacular. I didn't know how the style would connect with action or emotive scenes, but they did it. Remaining cinematic and especially hitting us with that ending. Wuxian and Hei are precious and wholesome, found families always make me weepy.

The message is also something I think will always be relevant, especially rn. My heart is full. What a ride.
Jun 30, 2020 4:50 PM
Jul 2013
My gf really wants to watch it with me but I need the sub - going to reach out to you Kate but just in case they dont have it anymore if anyone has it and wants to send me a link I'd appreciate it!
Jul 23, 2020 1:18 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I saw a couple of people tweeting about the sakuga in this movie a few months(?) ago, but I forgot that I wanted to watch it. Little did I know that the best part of this movie was the SoL-like scenes of Xiao Hei and Wuxian~ I mean, the sakuga really is the cherry on top, but the backgrounds, the character designs, and the music all came together very well! Oh, and the comedy XD I really enjoyed this movie, I'd watch it again right away if I didn't have other things to catch on, haha.

The ending was super heartwarming, I teared up >< For Xiao Hei, his home became where Wuxian was ^^ Really liked that. The ED song was so cute, too. At the very end, I think it showed Wuxian's domain (is that the right word, I forget)?

I wanted to talk about Fengxin's group as well. My friend who simulwatched with me likened it to how the indigenous people of anywhere got pushed out. It's really sad, so although Fengxin was in the "wrong," his anger was valid. I could really feel his pain when he shouted out in agony for Xiao Hei not to cancel the domain. Fengxin really fought for his ideals, and although it's sad to say this, maybe he didn't need to fight so hard, he had his friends and protecting that domain means nothing, when it would be for his own small group to live in. There's still a lot of nature in the world, or what we saw in contrast at the end of the movie...the Guild! It's not on the ground, but it's beautiful! It's like a paradise! I wonder if Fengxin ever saw the Guild, or maybe he still wants to be on the ground :( Which, again, is understandable. The land belonged to them first before the humans started building things everywhere ;_;

But anyways, my favorite part really is the relationship between Xiao Hei and Wuxian, it was filled with fun and cute comedy. And the visuals were such a treat for the eyes~
Aug 22, 2020 5:52 AM

Aug 2015
I was expecting something just cute and easy-going but instead I got an incredible action adventure fantasy on top of adorable characters and perfectly timed humour. I didn't do any research - just saw the little cartoon cat and stupidly thought "ah must be a cute little drama like Natsume or something". NOPE. And boy am I glad it turned out to be so much more!

I think the art style made me unprepared for the direction the plot would take. I see this cute children's cartoon look, and I completely let my guard down. Genuinely did not expect friends to be revealed as enemies, and enemies to slowly turn into friends. Didn't expect the villains to be as vicious as they were, or the politics of the world to be genuinely developed. I found myself going "oooooh" several times as plot points were revealed and little foreshadowing hints were dropped. This movie sucked me in and got me good.

The background art was so gorgeous. The painterly look of the nature scenes was pure eye candy. The only time the backgrounds weren't perfect were some of the later city scenes. Sometimes the buildings were very clearly a simple blocky model (the scene where the sphere was consuming the city was the most obvious). I guess they needed to have the sphere clip through the buildings at the right intersection. I wish that scene was given a little more love, to really up the tension. But that's a pretty small issue in the grand scheme of this movie.

The animation was so smooth! Everything flowed. From simple scenes of conversation, to Xiao Hei leaping fluidly through the trees, to complicated large scale fights where everything is in motion. I especially love the way Wu Xian's metal bending powers were animated.

Fight scenes were choreographed really well, but could have been visually clearer. Unfortunately, I often couldn't follow along with the sheer speed and tumbling movement of the 'camera'. Especially when characters are often moving directly at the 'camera', covering most of the view, and then whizzing back off again. It was really hard to follow the lines of motion for everyone in a fight.
The speed of the motion wasn't for cutting corners, because I slowed the scenes down frame by frame to really appreciate those fights after the initial viewing. Every movement, impact, and even facial expression is on point. So much detail in frames that I could barely catch at full speed.

I'm usually not one for saccharine moe stuff but Xiao Hei's cat form, his little "heixiu" blob companion, the little forest spirits, and the character relations really got me. Every time the little blob made its little noises I felt my heart grow. It took me a while to realize it was alternating between the words "xiu" and "hei" and not just indistinct cute noises. Why is that blob SO DAMN CUTE.

I think understanding the language is a huge part of what makes comedy work. Translated subtitles can only go so far. I'm definitely missing out on a lot of details when I watch Japanese anime. But since this was a Chinese donghua, the jokes and comedic timing hit me just right. Even slight intonations from the voice actors often had me laughing. I loved the little running gags; Xiao Hei trying to run away/hide/fight and Wu Xian just nonchalantly picking him up, Wu Xian being a terrible cook and the two of them spitting out the food, dramatic build-up to conflict only for a character to deadpan and immediately wipe the tension. Fantastic.

I appreciated ma boi Ne Zha showing up. He had his dramatic entrance music, over-brimming with confidence, and then he ended up sitting out the fight. Hahaha

Definitely a hidden gem for me. Really glad I found this.
whitherAug 22, 2020 7:05 PM
Aug 25, 2020 4:17 PM
🔥🔥🔥

Jan 2020
Wow, this movie is fucking great. Why haven't more people seen this?! IT's criminally under-watched. I guess there's a lot of people who will only watch stuff from Japan. Well, they're missing out because this is a total hidden gem.

The animation and the fight sequences especially were fantastic. I rarely even really notice the sound design but I thought it was also great. Plus, it was pretty funny in places - I laughed a fair few times.

I dunno, I guess I'm a bit surprised at how good this was. Loved it. 9/10.

🔥 🔥 🔥 . 阿良々木 暦, 傷 物 語 . 🔥 🔥 🔥
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
Aug 26, 2020 1:50 PM

Dec 2009
That really was amazing! Cute kitty, beautiful scenery, lovable characters and interactions, and not some sassy nonsense plot but actually relatable dilemmas about nature and where humanity is headed. Xiao Hei and Wu Xian's relationship is adorable, their interactions are the best. I don't usually give a 10/10, I try to underscore things recently, but I couldn't find any fault in this movie.
Aug 28, 2020 3:29 PM

Jan 2010
This was amazing! I hope the Chinese keep doing quality productions like these in the future.
Dec 12, 2020 11:38 AM
Mar 2015
katemonster123 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
just watched Luo Xiao Hei for the first time and it was absolutely jaw-droppingly gorgeous, in both the fight animation, background art, and with character fluidity. xiaohei and wuxian are so cute ~

it was literally ghibli level quality and i loved it so much

people need to recognize that china is becoming big in the animation department, with this, nezha, and mdzs becoming huge phenomenon, people are hopefully going to start coming around to donghua :D

btw if anyone needs help finding the movie subbed just dm me!!

can i get the link pls. ik its hella late but if u still have it , can u send it to me pls
Jan 26, 2021 2:40 PM
Apr 2016
This movie was great, such a hidden gem, i really liked the interactions between the two main characters, the natural landscapes were soo good looking and the animation in the action scenes were amazing, really enjoyed it.
Feb 13, 2021 10:50 PM
Oct 2017
It's nice at first, but falls apart toward the end imo. Frankly, apart from the antagonist being bad because he used extreme methods, his arguments remain more valid than the protagonists'. Humans has done more and more harm to the environment with almost no intent to compromise, and yet all the reason that's ever given is compromise is only way, when there's never any compromise to begin with. It's just domination. And then there's the part why the spirits and monsters have to live in hiding, well there's nothing against that either.

So, what was supposed to be the take away here? That a suppressed group of people should remain where they are at the whims and domination of the controlling group? That government power is absolute? That humans should just be allowed to destroy the planet? Capitalism rules? It seems that FengXi only turned into the extremist he is because the guild/government reaction to his effort at trying to confront the problem was by hunting him down rather trying to reach out to him.
May 1, 2021 10:20 PM
Feb 2021
Niello said:
It's nice at first, but falls apart toward the end imo. Frankly, apart from the antagonist being bad because he used extreme methods, his arguments remain more valid than the protagonists'. Humans has done more and more harm to the environment with almost no intent to compromise, and yet all the reason that's ever given is compromise is only way, when there's never any compromise to begin with. It's just domination. And then there's the part why the spirits and monsters have to live in hiding, well there's nothing against that either.

So, what was supposed to be the take away here? That a suppressed group of people should remain where they are at the whims and domination of the controlling group? That government power is absolute? That humans should just be allowed to destroy the planet? Capitalism rules? It seems that FengXi only turned into the extremist he is because the guild/government reaction to his effort at trying to confront the problem was by hunting him down rather trying to reach out to him.

Home and what makes a home is the central theme of this movie. It's in the subtext in every scene, with the intro, with the character motivations, and even with the central and subplots. The action and the worldbuilding are nice, but this movie's true heart is in understanding that.

I'm not sure how people have difficulty understanding the ending. Sure it's sad his forest was destroyed but his plan to get it back was immoral, even if you hate the humans enough to want them dead it still relied on sacrificing an innocent.

As for them living in secret (I get the feeling you wanted to also call him an oppressed minority)? Yeah I get how that's unfair to many spirits, but they all are keeping it a secret. If anything Feng's plan requires humans to be ignorant of spirits in order to work, or they would be hunting him down. Feng Xi doesn't see himself as being suppressed (cause humans don't even know spirits exist), he just wants his home back.

Personally, I took away that the moral is home isn't a location, but a people. Feng Xi lost his home and was planning to kill all of the humans that were where the forest was so that he could bring the forest (his home) back.

XiaoHei lost his home... and while he could have focused on the forest, he instead tried to form a new home, not with a forest but by a family, first Feng and then Wuxian. Hei only finding his home when he found the bonds that make a home a home.
Gadric_GadwinMay 1, 2021 10:26 PM
May 11, 2021 8:42 PM

Jan 2010
finally got around to watching this. on a visual level, it's 10/10

but I was so confused the entire time. And when I finished watching the movie, I felt more frustrated than anything. It was a visual spectacle for sure, but I had no many issues with the story and characters. The story hardly explained anything. It felt like huge chunks of story were being left out. Even though this movie was over 2 hours long.

I thought Wuxian was the bad guy, he seemed that way for the first half of the film, but I guess he wasn't the bad guy after all. Also, for him being human, why was he so damned OP with his powers???? the movie never explained anything about who he was as a character. Or how and why any of the other human characters were as powerful as they were. Wuxian was the only one to get any real character development other than Hei I guess. All of the other characters were just there, and there were so many of them! It's almost like the movie expected you to know who they were all are from some existing source material or something

I wish the story could have done a better job at explain why the Guild were the good guys. The movie throws so many characters at you from the Guild without explaining much of anything about them, besides the basic details. It was so frustrating. I didn't find myself rooting for The Guild either.
I kept thinking they were gonna turn out to be evil or something. Their message of coexistence to let the humans take over because living with humans was easier? Or something? It made little sense to me. It almost had this message of cultural assimilation, where the monsters needed to just live with the humans and accept their ways. Or go off and live in seclusion/exile.
This movie feels like it was going for more of a pro-Capitalist/pro-conformist message as another commenter said instead of a pro-environmentalism message

I actually sympathized with the antagonist the most. He just wanted his forest back. It's also a shame the other characters who allied with Feng Xi didn't get much story around them. I was hoping at the end we'd get to see more from them, but they just get "locked up". There was other wise little substance to their characters except for seeing them fight in the action scenes. It felt like such a waste. But the epilogue was so rushed too. Would have been nice to see the aftermath of what happened to the city. But nope it cuts straight to them flying to the Guild
I might have felt differently if the movie even once explained why Feng Xi was being hunted down to begin with. He and his buds were just chilling out in their forest until Wuxian started attacking them. Was Feng Xi going to steal Hei's powers regardless? Yet the movie seemed to imply that the only reason Hei discovered his Domain powers was because of Wuxian discovering it. Once again, the movie explained nothing about how the lore surrounding the characters powers/abilities worked.

Hei was cute, but again, everything else about his character was all shrouded in mystery. Why he had these latent super-powers. Why his "true" form was a giant cat. I kept waiting for a moment where some kinda explanation about his true identity would be explained, like if he was secretly this almighty powerful god creature or something, but nope.

but this is based on a Flash animated series right? Yet this movie is a prequel. So watching the animated series probably wouldn't do me any good.

Yet despite me feeling so confused about this movie, the story was so basic. But that's to be expected with most Chinese animated movies. With the strict Government censorship and vetting any Chinese film has to go through, these movies usually play it very safe when it comes to the story. Usually relying on fantasy stories, with very simple stories and very vague social messages if there are any at all.
Unless it's just straight up propaganda, which I wouldn't call this movie, even though the morals it was trying to give didn't sit right with me. And I don't think it holds a candle to any Ghibli movie that has much stronger and better messages about the common story of humans vs. nature.

But if you can just turn off your brain and enjoy this for the visuals, then it's a decent film
giveup-the-ghostMay 12, 2021 10:40 AM
Jun 9, 2021 12:23 AM
Jun 2021
This movie was amazing! I'm watching it for the third time! (I'm not used to rewatch movies or series). It's the quality of the animation for me, it's so easy to get affectionate by the characters. i need more of this, i hope there will be a second movie!
Dec 30, 2022 5:11 AM
Dec 2022
beautiful animation and cute characters. fun to watch
Jan 9, 2023 10:56 PM

May 2020
The conversations are cute. That cute little bump on Xiao Hei 🤣, and his reactions throughout are 🥰.

Maomao almost thinking his master died, and changing the tone when he realised that's not the case 🤣.

Didn't expect Xiao Hei to puke. Xiao Hei and Wuxian's conversation got much more cuter. Xiao Hei learned to swim and catch fish. 
He really is gifted
🤣 🤣 🤣 I thought he just threw that sentence. 

He has no sense of direction
🤣 🤣 🤣 

I didn't expect him to dine and dash. Introducing Nezha in the last was nice. Damn, I ended up loving Wuxian.
Mar 28, 2023 8:32 PM
Jan 2022
ITS SO CUTE, so wholesome. everything about it:33
May 20, 2023 5:44 PM
May 2016
Proof that Chinese animation can make masterpieces too.
Jun 4, 2023 5:36 AM
Mar 2012
Glad to see that sometimes the ruling government is not shown as incompetent jackass here. 

Style 10/10
Animation also 10/10
Fight scene 11/10 

Really love it. Kinda wish I watched the sub that don't translate characters name as I'm kinda confused how people called Wuxian and Feng Xi here when I only read Master Infinity and Stormend. 

Also, I heard that there's japanese dub for this. Where can I watch it?

Another thing, where can I watch the animated series that is sequel to this movie#
Feb 24, 4:12 PM
Aug 2020
it was a good movie

i had a great time

it was nice to see the relationship evolve until the end.

the animation was beautiful with a lot of great scenes.
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Mar 27, 7:31 AM
Feb 2024
continues the excellence performance and art of legend of Hei, very strong fighting logic and music too

More topics from this board

» Streaming on HBO Max

JohanJ04 - Nov 27, 2022

0 by JohanJ04 »»
Nov 27, 2022 3:55 PM

» Movie OST?

Loonitick - Apr 2, 2020

1 by removed-user »»
Apr 5, 2020 7:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.