Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 8, 2018 4:43 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I have to admit, this was a pretty exciting finale. It featured Hisone using the skills she's learned throughout the season and her dragon in action.

The chereography is also among the most intense I've seen so far this season. It felt like a climax for this show and definitely deserved it. Loved the way the soundtrack
was used too.

For me, this anime was an underrated gem of the season. Had some mixed feelings about the romance themes in the later episodes but overall still stood out as one of the most unique shows I've seen this year.
Aug 8, 2018 5:36 AM

Apr 2014
i've forgotten what the ending was like. damn you mal and your long ass maintenance.
it's a good show. 7/10.

i should rewatch someday.
Aug 8, 2018 7:06 AM

Apr 2016
I was planning to rewatch this, but to be honest after that "meh" ending not going to. I know this show wasnt taking itself to seriously but they could do a better job with the ending.
Aug 8, 2018 8:40 AM

Aug 2017
I'm a bit sad about this anime. Not so much of a disappointment but wasted potential. The first two episodes were pretty boring and somehow generic. But from ep 3 until the appearance of Natsume and the ritual plot, it went downhill so fast. The anime could've developed the other two pilots. However it has turned serious for no reason with the sacrifice thing. Another part that I disliked is that tries so hard to care about Natsume, when she was annoying and unlikeable from her first appearance. Finally, the ending is just a deux ex machina (is very forced that she can be inside Masotan for MONTHS, this is just lazy writing). I could be have rated this anime 6/10 or 7/10 if the MC could be died to save everyone (it could be a interesting plot twist) but nope let's just have a happy ending. The series start silly, turned serious and then returned silly again in the last scene. Inconsistent tone. 2/5 for this episode. 5/10 for the anime.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 9, 2018 8:59 AM

Apr 2014
The whole plot with the ritual felt unnecessary or was just poorly executed.
Aug 9, 2018 4:23 PM

Sep 2011
I don't like how the sacrifice was nulled after being depicted as something necessary to save the country and possibly the world, but I like how they questioned and went against it, no one dying in the end was a bit too cliché, maybe it would've been nice if Sada-san were able to join her loved one and see the ritual completed as she wanted. But I'm glad that Hoshino and Zaito worked things out, they are a great couple, I'm also pretty glad about Okonogi-san finding Amakasu in the end, overall it was pretty nice, I guess.
Aug 12, 2018 3:27 PM

Oct 2015
Disappointing anime with cliché plot, undeveloped characters, bad animation and the MC was boring to watch. I felt why was Nao included in the series if she wasn't going to be used to pilot the OTF, I felt she needed to be used more by the stupid writer. As for the series itself it got boring when it tried the romance route, because in my view romance needs to be developed well to succeed.

Amakasu wasn't an interesting character as I found her boring and immature for an adult, I don't forget the others which were yawning me all over place.

Damn I change my rating from 5 to 4/10
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 9, 2018 8:49 AM

May 2009
lihle808 said:
bad animation

What bad animation?
Sep 12, 2018 3:51 AM
Oct 2017
There is no problem with the animation. But the anime should commit silly. Because with that style animation it cant be serious.
Sep 12, 2018 3:52 AM
Oct 2017
That seriousness what make the anime bad i think
Sep 21, 2018 1:52 PM

Aug 2012
Loved this series, great fun and interesting story. A nice twist on the typical Bones Mecha type shows. Loved the animation personally, it's nice to see a show willing to change things up in the style department as way to many Anime have the same look. OST was nice too.

As for this episode it was a satisfying conclusion EXCEPT I'm personally so tired of THIS ending. Nothing original about it, I've seen many Anime and this is just another show that ends in the exact same way. At least we got a confirmation that the MC is indeed alive but like do Anime Studios literally have a book of endings and just pick whatever template ending they want for a series because thats what this felt like. 3 months have gone by? Why? what does that serve to the story? It adds literally nothing but confusion.

There's no deep meaning to it, we get zero answers to how she survived the initial incident or indeed how she survived after that for 3 whole months!? The only real hint we get is the opening credits which show her on the mountain presumably during this time period surviving or whatever after what happened. But why wouldn't she contact anyone to tell them they are okay? Wouldn't Masotan require 'servicing' or whatever, 3 months is a really long time dammit. Also if she was literally on the mountain the whole time then why didn't the SDF find her? Surely they looked right? I mean logically we can presume that but of course with the way the show ends its not entirely clear they did which is stupid. I suppose it's possible that she was able to appear only at the moment that the guy comes to get them, but again thats giving the show a pass that frankly I don't think it deserves despite how much I loved the show.

I'm not going to hold this ending against the show, I still really liked it but this ending or at least how it was handled wasn't just stupid but it was also pretty lazy. Anyone who has seen alot of Anime would/should probably recognize THIS ending because it truly has been done a shit ton across many many shows. A character(s) sacrifices themselves for everybody, we skip ahead in time, we see that rest of the cast wondering whether or not they are alive. Many believe they are, just out there and that they should just wait for them to return one day while looking out at a big sky or a memento. Add to that a semi confirmation or hint of that someone being alive or even indeed a full confirmation but we don't see actually see them. Yep Dragon Pilot follows this pretty much exactly and it's a real shame that a show full of such originality had to fall back on something so generic.

Anyway enough negatives. I really did like the show. Like seriously I did, quite alot actually. I mean I just sat through all 12 episodes pretty much back to back.
BlaizeVSep 21, 2018 2:06 PM
Sep 25, 2018 8:07 AM

Mar 2008
lihle808 said:
bad animation

god i hate weeaboos

Ryukin007 said:
with that style animation it cant be serious.

Go watch Kaiba.
Sep 25, 2018 7:37 PM
Jul 2017
lihle808 said:
bad animation

Care to explain why its bad exactly? I personally felt that the animation was it's best point.
Sep 28, 2018 2:31 AM

Oct 2015
frozenpandaman said:
lihle808 said:
bad animation

god i hate weeaboos

Ryukin007 said:
with that style animation it cant be serious.

Go watch Kaiba.
Already did and it has great animation that goes along with the story.

Sep 28, 2018 2:32 AM

Oct 2015
Tomico91 said:
lihle808 said:
bad animation

Care to explain why its bad exactly? I personally felt that the animation was it's best point.
To you personally but from what ive seen its bad in a fact.

Oct 6, 2018 4:33 PM

May 2012
Damn what an ending! Really impressive and a bit sad even but that ending sure was unexpected and so casual! Really liked it in general and so this whole series! Was quite a great experience and with such lovely characters it sure made it a pretty lovely watch!

All in all a very lovely anime I must say!
Oct 13, 2018 10:22 PM

Mar 2018
Fayrin said:
I don't like how the sacrifice was nulled after being depicted as something necessary to save the country and possibly the world, but I like how they questioned and went against it, no one dying in the end was a bit too cliché, maybe it would've been nice if Sada-san were able to join her loved one and see the ritual completed as she wanted. But I'm glad that Hoshino and Zaito worked things out, they are a great couple, I'm also pretty glad about Okonogi-san finding Amakasu in the end, overall it was pretty nice, I guess.

I thought the same thing, and maybe they were trying to subvert our expectations, or maybe they changed the script at the last minute, but all the pieces were in place for Sada-san to be the sacrifice in place of the key girl. She would have gotten to "be with her lover" in an eternal sense, she was an extra person in the operation anyway since she rode up in Masotan, and it would fit with the whole passing the torch thing. I think I would have preferred that ending, but I can't complain about the route they went. Ultimately this was a feel-good show, and I think the ending kept with that.

Really enjoyed this one, shame Netflix made me wait so long for it.
owarida6Oct 13, 2018 10:36 PM
Nov 1, 2018 4:49 PM

Oct 2008
This whole series felt like they had no idea what direction they wanted it to go in. The whole ritual was way too hand wavy to understand what it was really about, skipping too many explanations leaving massive plot holes. Hisone supposedly went to a place you can't return from to finish the ritual, has been gone for 3 months, and yet there she was on the mountain for the happily ever after ending with no explanation. Really have to close your eyes to the bad writing to enjoy this. 6/10
Jan 2, 2019 10:32 PM
Jan 2016
Maybe I'm an asshole, but if Sada san wanted to be with her (clearly) beloved Yae-chan, why didn't she took the staff and reunited with her? This anime needed a death but it was too fluffy from the start so I can't ask too much.
Jan 7, 2019 10:14 AM

Jan 2019
akihikosama said:
This whole series felt like they had no idea what direction they wanted it to go in. The whole ritual was way too hand wavy to understand what it was really about, skipping too many explanations leaving massive plot holes. Hisone supposedly went to a place you can't return from to finish the ritual, has been gone for 3 months, and yet there she was on the mountain for the happily ever after ending with no explanation. Really have to close your eyes to the bad writing to enjoy this. 6/10

I think so too..! at the beginning of this show make me bored some time but at middle make me exited a little and more add more until last episode I've no idea what they want form viewer they just cut end.
berm4544Jan 8, 2019 6:22 AM
Jan 27, 2019 11:56 PM

May 2015
Well all the potential down the drain. I also thought Sada should have sacrificed herself. I mean she's already old and what better place to die than doing it where your dearest one died. Also, Hisone and Masotan not dying made it seem like it was just a game.
This is the kind of show that I would show to an 8 year old. It could have been a great drama series but chose being PG. 8/10 because I liked the comedy.
Feb 22, 2019 5:03 PM

May 2017
I definitely agree with everyone that Sada-san should have been the one to opt to be sacrificed. I'm really not sure why she didn't offer? Even at the time that Okonogi was saying "I'll do it!", we were shown a shot of Sada-san, but she didn't speak up. Definitely curious. Maybe because she knew in her heart that the sacrifice was wrong.
The "sacrifice" in general was really built up, and kind of strange that it was so easily avoided. Maybe because humans build things up for themselves, they create something that <i>seems</i> important to them, but in actuality, isn't all that important?
Hisone sacrificed herself and because she had Masotan by her side, she didn't die and disappear forever?? was that what happened? Kind of a weird ending in all honesty.

But it was extremely cute. I love Hisone and Okonogi's relationship. Very pure.
6 or a 7/10 for me based on enjoyment, animation, soundtrack, and character personalities.
May 17, 2019 1:03 AM

Jul 2016
Uhm... still not convinced about that Hoshino and Zaito pairing...

Anyways, it was a "decent" final episode for this kind of series but too optimistic for my taste. There was no particular loss and all the drama built surrounding the ritual felt flat in the end since said ritual ended up being "easily" nullified with some willpower. As an episode, it was still entertaining but since they decided to take the serious route a few episode ago, I would have preferred a serious conclusion (like actually losing something in order to achieve your final goal, for example) instead of a lighthearted one.

As a whole, this anime was indeed nice but I also must say I enjoyed it way more for its comedy aspect rather than the serious approach it took in the last few episodes. The ritual plot and it relation to the romance aspect was really intriguing to watch but I agree with some people that it could have been handled better, especially from the moment Natsume's character was introduced.

That said, I think a 6/10 would be a proper score in my case.
Jun 24, 2019 10:45 PM

Oct 2012
An enjoyable and cute show. It's fun watching the characters discover themselves and the animation was beautiful. I would have preferred if we didn't see Hisone at the very end, especially after all the other pilots commented that she'll find a way back. They could have left it at that.
Jul 26, 2019 1:57 PM

Jul 2011
Am I the only one who thought the ending was rather ambiguous? I mean Masotan literally comes flying out of Torii gates? It felt more like an illusion instead of reality, for Okonogi.
Apr 1, 2020 5:37 AM

Jan 2011
Fun series, but could have done without the shipping bs.
Apr 11, 2021 12:50 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
So Hisone really didn't die, I thought it would be the case, but yeah she's here with Masotan... well that was a OK ending, not bad but not impressive, overall the 1st half of the anime was not really good for me but I actually liked the 2nd half which was way better even though the whole romance part was a bit weird, the plot was still interesting.
I would say 6/10 for this anime overall!
Apr 18, 2021 10:48 PM
Jan 2019
I'm just curious what she was doing for 3 months? Like how did she escape? Why didn't she go back? So many unanswered questions.
Oct 13, 2021 2:08 PM

Jun 2010
What was otherwise a pretty enjoyable series was tarnished a bit by the last few episodes. I personally wasn't at all aboard with all that flip-flopping starting with Hisone's decision to quit being a D-Pilot.

It went from her thinking about the situation, seeing to what conclusions others like Eru and Sada came and then settling on a decision she was comfortable with. And then she gets smack-talked by the Flight Leader and all that character build-up is trashed. She is down again, crawls back again and then suddenly the whole love thingy with the dragons is hand-waved away.

And the same happens for the whole ritual. Built up as a rather serious issue, with the inevitable sacrifice. Then they decide that it is wrong and they need another way. Only to then effectively have Hisone be the scarifice. What? And then even that is hand-waved away for the happy end?

It's like the authors of the show just hadn't any clear vision on how to conclude the show seeing how haphazardly they build up and discard their plot points.
Aug 3, 2022 3:54 PM

Nov 2012
Loved the show, loved Hisone and her pure brutal honesty.

The end wasnt that good, also I think an end with Hisone & Masotan dead could have worked out.

My Candies:

Nov 25, 2023 12:16 PM
Nov 2020
Love the storyline but hate the ending so much. Like when the last episode end I was like "TF THAT IS?!!". So yeah if it end things with something different and maybe show a bit about Haruto & Amasaku then maybe I'll be satisfied. Overall love the animation and the op & ed song.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hisone to Maso-tan Episode 8 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Oct 6, 2018

5 by Assassin2112 »»
Mar 15, 5:41 PM

Poll: » Hisone to Maso-tan Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 19, 2018

90 by BigBoyAdvance »»
Mar 2, 4:27 PM

Poll: » Hisone to Maso-tan Episode 9 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Oct 6, 2018

10 by Fuwa_san »»
Jan 8, 7:35 PM

Poll: » Hisone to Maso-tan Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 24, 2018

30 by L01MK »»
Jun 29, 2023 12:53 PM

Poll: » Hisone to Maso-tan Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 26, 2018

43 by quentintarantado »»
May 21, 2023 12:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.