Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 18, 2010 9:09 PM

Jul 2008
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
After three years of following this series, I can't believe it has actually ended.

"I'll forgive you.....so, please forgive yourself."

That's all it took.

I was a bit taken back at a few of the panels where Masataka saw Saiki as a child during their intimate moment. XD;

And the last scene, what the fuck?! If I'm not mistaken, Katou is actually Sakurako's real father?! OH SNAP! And why the hell did he have to stab Saiki? Watase said in the interview that it's an open ended ending. *facepalm* Well, just like the sakura Saiki has to live. No doubt. ;___;
Mar 20, 2010 3:42 PM

Jul 2008
Aennlin said:
And forgive me if I'm misunderstanding this (it's 4AM, I can barely type as it is), but Katou is going to the police and take the blame for everything, right?

I believe so. I'm guessing that's why he stopped Saiki from going to the police. Well, I'm good he took the stand, but he really didn't have to stab Saiki. >_<

Aennlin said:
I'm also going to assume Souma lives because he's gone through enough already.

Omg, yes!
Jun 5, 2010 10:10 AM

Mar 2009
i got shocked then i saw that 9chp is the end.
it's kinda hard to understand the ending.
it makes you think if they will meet again or part ways for always.
damn, i thought that it will end happily with them being together
Jun 20, 2010 2:02 AM

Nov 2007
Crazy manga. It could have wound up being quite bad in a lot of places, but I think (for the most part) it was pulled off well.
Jun 30, 2010 2:47 PM

Dec 2007
I'm so taken aback I can barely type. Just... Wow. I loved this ending. Suited the manga perfectly. I'm not a fan of BL, but I really think this is Watase's masterpiece. I really hope she writes more stories like this one. It's about time she switches to a josei audience, she has proved she's mature enough to do it.
Jul 4, 2010 11:05 PM

Aug 2009
I like how this played out.

However, something is missing. Satisfaction (and not about the ending). Josei is some odd territory to go into. Drown a story too much in drama and it becomes far fetched. Enjoyment is only as good as a reader allows themselves into that world.

There were many problems that gradually became less and less of something to notice as the story goes on. Things like how much of a mood for drama do I have to be into to want to care about this very situational drama. This felt like a joy ride for me, but I didn't get to total it. Maybe it's because I found no connection to the characters that I didn't particularly care what happened. I grew to hate them.

It did feel like a happy ending there, though. Masataka and Souma (if he survives) are free from each other. There will be no binding, constriction of co-dependence. They'll be able to survive without each other, which I find very beautiful considering all that happened.
Sep 13, 2010 7:51 AM

Feb 2009
all the story was full of drama and end the end suma died TTATT it's kinda unfair but at the same time it's more realistic I mean most of the times stories are happily ever after
!؟ nani o shitemo doko ni itemo
Dec 25, 2010 9:26 AM

May 2009
I like how the story ended. A lot. The scenes where Masataka views Souma as a child were really, really good - it could've gone all shota and wrong, but it was really heartrending.

The only thing I dislike is the Sakurako is a male thing. When I read it, it felt so wtf and as though it was an afterthought. Sure enough, Watase-sensei confirms it was an afterthought in that mini interview at the end of the chapter. :/

Also, Masataka being a product of rape was pushing the drama. His misery was fine as it was - his mother sold him, that's bad enough - there was no need to add that bit of sob story. So his brother who was sold was also a product of rape? It just doesn't add up. (And if I recall correctly, I think Watase-sensei also said something about wanting to make sure Masataka had a dark side, but it again, seemed like an afterthought.)

Apart from those two issues, I thought this was excellent. It would make a good movie.
Jan 10, 2011 9:02 AM

Oct 2010
You know how hard it is to find yaoi with such intricate art and coherent plot and believable characters. You know.
For that only I wish my liking to this series can blind me to say that this manga is beaten by nothing in the realm of yaoi (well it's not like I read much of it,) and it was granted. Well.. perhaps After School Nightmare's as good but in different ways... yeah.

Some unsettling stuff I experienced was already stated: I wish Sakurako would just stay a female.

I agree this is a crazy manga and that's good.
fianeAug 26, 2011 9:32 PM
Oct 22, 2011 10:31 AM
Feb 2010
The forgiveness and redemption at the beginning of the chapter moved me the most...this work makes me wonder what type of things Yuu Watase has gone through in order to be capable of creating something like this. Let's hope she didn't have to experience much first-hand. I didn't read the interview.

Why is this considered shoujo BTW?
blindassassinOct 22, 2011 10:34 AM
Nov 7, 2011 9:13 PM

Nov 2007
GASHHHHH! That was great~ Its been so long since ive read a decent yaoi manga. i loved it~

Yeah! I was shocked there. Maybe the reason why their father aside from only accepting Souma because He only loved Abigail, noticed that Youya isn't his child.. just maybe.
~ I was happy when Katou said he was going to take all the blame. Maybe the part where he stabbed Saiki will also part of the making him innocent plan. well, whatever, that's just what i want to believe..

KanjouSpectrum said:

Watase said in the interview that it's an open ended ending. *facepalm* Well, just like the sakura Saiki has to live. No doubt. ;___;

Ohhhh~ Thanks for that! I almost cried when Saiki was under the cherry tree~ I assumed he was going to die.. but yeah! i rememberd there was "live" line in his mind then. Oh. Thankfully, now i can rest too.. LOL. 10/10 !
Dec 30, 2012 8:41 AM

Oct 2012
souma will keep on living. afterall the sakura was the source of life, and he promised masataka to keep living. so i believe this is a happy ending, where masataka will survive from a single stab which meant nothing since he had gone through a lot of dangerous wounds and injuries before.
and all of u who assume he's dead. please read the interview again.
that's all i can say.
zozeDec 30, 2012 6:59 PM
Oct 25, 2014 4:19 AM

Oct 2010
Oh man, just done re-reading it again and I can still commend it with the same words I used 3 years ago. It gave me all the weird goosebumps of nostalgia... Oh man.
Nov 6, 2015 11:40 AM

Nov 2014
That was some pretty strong stuff. The art was very nice, and all the twists and backstories were balanced relatively well—adding to the legitimacy of the character actions, and the weight of the story.

Though I can't help but wonder (again) why rape and sexual assault are so romanticized in Japanese culture. It's strange how often rape and sexual assault are used in these kinds of stories to force people to submit and fall in love. It's probably unhealthy to normalize abuse in this way.
Dec 13, 2015 9:24 AM

Jun 2015
The manga had a great and strong story filled with emotions ( I tend to enjoy tragedies tbh ). It had good development as well, overall a good read. As many others, I didn't like the ending & we're not 100% sure that souma is dead & that he & masa won't meet again, since it's an open ending everything's left to our imagination :3 . Katou being the father was pretty shocking as well
Dec 28, 2015 4:30 PM

Oct 2013
This manga sure has been a crazy ride.

It had a crazy but great story, a story I doubt I'll ever read something similar to again.

Aug 30, 2016 1:28 AM
Jan 2016
Honestly, I think the 'Sakurako is male' part was pretty unnecessary. To me, he would've been better off staying a girl. And some of their background stories were a bit of a stretch

But overall this manga was quite tear-jerking and though it had some parts where things don't match up, it was an enjoyable read. And the ending suited this piece really well
Jun 23, 2017 3:37 AM
Jun 2017
Why do they have to break my heart again after its already been broken?
Dec 25, 2017 4:01 PM

Jan 2013
aikaflip said:
Though I can't help but wonder (again) why rape and sexual assault are so romanticized in Japanese culture. It's strange how often rape and sexual assault are used in these kinds of stories to force people to submit and fall in love. It's probably unhealthy to normalize abuse in this way.

This. After the rape scenes started I was thinking the whole time that it would be a let down if in the end Masataka fell in love. Such a dark, serious and interesting premise reduced to this... What a disappointment.

Besides, the whole thing with "my childhood was a living hell, I got raped so I turn into a rapist too"... no words.
bomiDec 25, 2017 4:05 PM
Dec 27, 2017 4:38 PM

Jun 2015
bomi said:
aikaflip said:

Besides, the whole thing with "my childhood was a living hell, I got raped so I turn into a rapist too"... no words.

This is definitely the biggest problem I had with this manga as well. Even in the end, which I think was fine, the fact that Masataka had been raped like that was still bothering me... it cannot be justified, especially beacause it was way too realistic to overlook.
However, the manga has some other reeaally good points, so I can't score it that low either.
RinnegamiDec 27, 2017 4:43 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sakura Gari Chapter 6 Discussion

AoiMemori - Mar 11, 2009

4 by Firechick12012 »»
May 11, 2019 5:51 AM

» Does anybody want to see this series get an Anime adaptation?

TakariFangirl - Feb 10, 2016

1 by WhenACatFlies »»
May 28, 2017 7:08 PM

Poll: » Sakura Gari Chapter 8 Discussion

SpectralWonder - Mar 17, 2010

1 by blindassassin »»
Oct 22, 2011 9:41 AM

Poll: » Sakura Gari Chapter 7 Discussion

removed-user - Aug 1, 2009

2 by justaddnuocmam »»
Dec 20, 2009 1:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.