Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 20, 2017 1:32 PM

Aug 2017
I'd debate you but I see that you haven't read the manga and have pretty shit taste in general so I think I'll pass.
Sep 20, 2017 2:38 PM

Apr 2017
Seiya said:

That video further proves my point. It looks like garbage, dark seinen garbage.

I don't have to read/watch it to know that it's not for me.

You said you don't understand the hype, so I figured the video could explain why other people who are not biased towards "dark" manga likes it and why it's the highest rated on MAL... but I guess I was wrong...
Sep 20, 2017 2:51 PM

Feb 2013
I guess you didn't like it because there weren't any kawaii girls in it.
And I also suppose you didn't understand the feelings of Guts, Griffith and the band.
Sep 20, 2017 3:00 PM

Apr 2017
Seiya said:
Next thing, you're going to tell me that I should watch "Game of Thrones," and I wouldn't touch that with a 10-foot pole either.

No, you keep missing the point and I'm wondering if you even watched the video. To you I would obviously recommend Teletubbies or something similar.
Sep 20, 2017 3:02 PM

Jul 2017
As always taste is subjective when it comes to these kinds of things. I love Berserk and prefer it over the vast majority of manga series. I'm also a big fan for various types of the Fantasy genre. What I'm not a fan of is the countless Isekai garbage that seems to churned out on a monthly basis. It's rare these days that we get a straight up fantasy series that doesn't involve a pathetic Japanese teen getting hit by a truck and get reincarnated into a fantasy world where he proceeds to be the best at everything and randomly has a bunch of girls on his dick from princesses to goddesses. Those settings are pathetic wish fulfillment and nothing more. But that's just my opinion.
Sep 20, 2017 3:07 PM
Jul 2018
I think the golden age arc of Berserk is a satisfying coming of age story. You understand exactly why Guts is the way he is in episode 1.
Sep 20, 2017 3:11 PM

May 2015
Kruszer said:
Any Hype is for the manga since most people generally complain about the anime series instead, especially the newer ones. It's a solid 7 or 8 if you ask me for being an entertaining fantasy/action hack n' slash, not really masterpiece material. I especially don't see how people can maintain interest in the manga with such a flaky author who won't ever work on it all that often,I get enough of that with Black Lagoon and Dogs: Bullets and Carnage, but I don't read Beserk either.

Same reason anyone would read Black Lagoon, it's worth it in the end.

No one who watched the original Berserk for the action is very much going to like the manga series. I don't know, I kinda fell in love with Rickert, Judeau, Pippin and Corkus.

For how absolutely horrible and hopeless every single thing and character in the series is, it's kinda uplifting in a way. Strive and struggle against hardships!

edit: Of course, fans too often focus on the gorier, disgusting aspects, Miura included. Although, admittedly, the eclipse is visually impressive (in the manga).
ashfrliebertSep 20, 2017 3:15 PM
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Sep 20, 2017 3:18 PM

May 2015
Berserk is one of the goriest and darkest anime out there
It embraces the fact that it relies on gore and the action scenes and doesn't shy away from it
It's simply a classic

Berserk is hyped up cause it is adapting a masterpiece
"Because people don't have wings.. We look for ways to fly."
Sep 20, 2017 3:39 PM

Dec 2013
The heart of the series lies in the Golden Arc. It wasn't meant to be a psychoanalysis of medieval mercenaries or depict radical character transitions. It took a few applicable themes - fellowship, ambition, the quest for individual purpose - and integrated them with good visuals/music/dialogue, the sum of which made for a very compelling tone. And incidentally, it's one of the few shows that threaded romance into an action series successfully imo. I more or less forced myself through 2016/17, but once it turned into a one-man slasher vs. legions of demons, spirits, apostles, etc. it was lost on me.
DouluoSep 20, 2017 3:50 PM
Sep 20, 2017 3:54 PM

Aug 2014
Berserk has a big cast of mixed characters, the main cast shows a lot of personality and depth overall, definitely in comparison to other anime. It doesn't stand out in the world of fantasy literature, obviously, but as for manga, it does. If you can't see the development in the characters, you should probably try looking back and thinking about how they were first.

The manga itself does a great job at looking back to the past inexplicitly, by redrawing old frames in the new scenario, showing us the difference in both art and the aura the characters radiate. Well, that's for the modern chapters, but even throughout the golden age arc, the characters show development. Not all characters are complex as Guts, Griffith and Farneze obviously, but that would be unnecessary either way.

The hype basically comes from that and Miura's art. The story has some unique elements, but those should be obvious enough. If you don't like it, you don't like it. Stories will always rely on your interest however, and if you're not interested it's gonna fall flat. That's how that goes.
Sep 20, 2017 6:40 PM

Oct 2015
> All that the anime relies on is the gore and the twisted ending and people are so amazed that someone ends an anime on a bad note that it's suddenly somehow an amazing anime ?

hey sounds like re:zero huehuehue
So embarrased with Tensura fans and the fandom, how have we degraded
Sep 21, 2017 9:29 AM

Apr 2016
I don't know whether you can't read whatever people say on the internet and stuff...
But the actual hyped thing about Berserk is the manga.
Everyone can agree that the 2016 and 2017 anime are garbage adaptations.
and the 1997 anime and the movies are just ok.

Nonetheless, despite all the hype Berserk gets, there are other manga with better characters and story.
Sep 21, 2017 9:38 AM

Aug 2017
xDaril said:

Most people think the 1997 anime is a lot better than okay. So no, we can't agree on that.
Sep 21, 2017 2:08 PM

Mar 2011
Thread has been moved to correct series board
Sep 21, 2017 4:23 PM

Nov 2011
some people ITT: wtf someone doesn't love berserk, the greatest series ever made? this is outrageous!
*starts complaining about the user's profile pic / favorites instead of actually giving a coherent response as to why berserk is great in their view*

MAL once again proves to be toxic. (this doesn't apply to all comments here)
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Sep 21, 2017 4:48 PM

Jul 2016
Idk if this thread is worth my time, but fuck it. I like talking about Berserk.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 22, 2017 12:11 AM

Apr 2016
deadprez said:
xDaril said:

Most people think the 1997 anime is a lot better than okay. So no, we can't agree on that.

The 1997 anime adapts it pretty well... but, It's not finished so eh.
It's good but it doesn't really adapt that much. Nice profile pic tho, Feng Shen Ji is awesome.
Sep 22, 2017 3:23 AM

Aug 2017
DreamingBeats said:
some people ITT: wtf someone doesn't love berserk, the greatest series ever made? this is outrageous!
*starts complaining about the user's profile pic / favorites instead of actually giving a coherent response as to why berserk is great in their view*

MAL once again proves to be toxic. (this doesn't apply to all comments here)

I did debate OP and pretty much crushed his arguments quickly and he has not made a post here since. It was clear that his intention with his post was never to debate or hear the thoughts and opinions of others though.

This post summed it up well: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1666796&show=0#msg52389820
Sep 23, 2017 7:56 AM

Jul 2017
READ THE MANGA. GREATNESS.
Sep 23, 2017 2:32 PM

Feb 2016
First of all: I haven't watched the Anime yet or have read the Manga so I don't know anything. I've only read few chapters of the Manga.
Most of the time the fans are talking about the Manga and not the Manga so the Manga seems to be way better.

I don't know why but it's really hard to me to read Berserk. Not because it's old or anything like this. I think it's just not my thing. Maybe it's too gory for me but I will read it someday again.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Sep 23, 2017 2:35 PM

Apr 2013
Did you not see the Big Sword (it's really BIG). Or that extended NTR rape scene? There lies your answer.
Oct 9, 2017 8:41 AM
Jul 2018
Akanoshi_ said:

Berserk is hyped up cause it is adapting a masterpiece

However, Berserk 2016 and 2017 are adaptational disasters that made me give up on Berserk anime as a whole. Yeah, they were that bad. The 1997 original was rather great nonetheless.
Apr 19, 2018 8:42 PM

Oct 2017
Zapredon said:
I read Berserk manga first before the anime. Berserk is great in Golden Age Arc but after Golden Age arc, it went downhill. We got too many uninteresting side villains like troll, Kushan etc. The tone really change after the flashback.

Yeah the GA arc is by far the best part of the manga, everything else pales in comparison. Conviction was still good though, I think the tone only really changes once Guts gets his new group
Apr 19, 2018 8:43 PM

Oct 2017
MechaKnightDarek said:
SeidouTZ said:
Ask @Darek he was once a big Beserkfag until Jojo came along... poor soul :(
I am still a fan, kind of, just everything after the golden age is kinda eh.

Also not answering the OP lmao, he isn't here to debate clearly.

If Miura somehow maintained the GA quality, Berserk would be the best manga ever
May 2, 2018 12:38 AM

Feb 2018
The manga is very highly rated everyone else hates the anime
May 20, 2021 10:50 PM

Mar 2018
I didn't care for majority of the characters. I was only mildly interested in the main trio. The rest of them are nobodies to me. Since I don't care about the characters, I don't give a shit as to what happens to them. Guess the manga failed in that regard. Anyway, the story ain't that good. World building is nothing special. Fights are just cutting up fodder and monsters most of the time. Boring! The art is nice and all but nothing special. 7/10 is maximum I could muster for this overrated manga.

Edit: The villains i.e Godhand are horrible and one-dimensional monsters except for Zodd and Griffith. The Skull Knight is overflowing in plot convenience juice.
Alpha_DruidMay 20, 2021 10:56 PM
May 22, 2021 7:14 AM
Sep 2020
Alpha_Druid said:
I didn't care for majority of the characters. I was only mildly interested in the main trio. The rest of them are nobodies to me. Since I don't care about the characters, I don't give a shit as to what happens to them. Guess the manga failed in that regard. Anyway, the story ain't that good. World building is nothing special. Fights are just cutting up fodder and monsters most of the time. Boring! The art is nice and all but nothing special. 7/10 is maximum I could muster for this overrated manga.

Edit: The villains i.e Godhand are horrible and one-dimensional monsters except for Zodd and Griffith. The Skull Knight is overflowing in plot convenience juice.

Which characters are the main trio to you?

Skullknights connection to Void and Flora don't scream plot convenience at all. They're hinted to have been extremely important, but they're never completely explained. Griffith is definitely way deeper in comparision, but that's the point of a main character. To me many side characters are interesting, Rickert is important as an example.

To me it seems ironic that you find Griffith intresting but not worldbuilding, which is indirectely a big part of his motive. I think Berserk does some of the best world building there is, but that's subjective and maybe I've just not experienced what's better out there.

What's your favorite examples of good world building?
May 22, 2021 7:22 AM

Mar 2018
Trashmans said:
Alpha_Druid said:

Which characters are the main trio to you?

Skullknights connection to Void and Flora don't scream plot convenience at all. They're hinted to have been extremely important, but they're never completely explained. Griffith is definitely way deeper in comparision, but that's the point of a main character. To me many side characters are interesting, Rickert is important as an example.

To me it seems ironic that you find Griffith intresting but not worldbuilding, which is indirectely a big part of his motive. I think Berserk does some of the best world building there is, but that's subjective and maybe I've just not experienced what's better out there.

What's your favorite examples of good world building?

By main trio I meant Guts, Casca and Griffith. I forgot about Puck lol. What Griffith wants has nothing to do with the author's(R.I.P) ability to build a world. One Piece has one of the best world building imo.
May 22, 2021 7:30 AM

Aug 2019
Not one of the greatest anime, but one of the greatest manga.
May 22, 2021 7:37 AM

Jul 2020
Nah fam people were hyping up the Manga and not the Anime.
Seiya said:
I don't understand the hype of Berserk either.

Now, I've never read the Manga, and I've never watched any of the Berserk Anime, but I know that I would hate it, because I hate Anime/Manga with extreme violence and sex in it.

"Doesn't understand the hype"
"Never read the Manga"
What a smart guy,maybe try reading the Manga so you can understand the hype?

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
May 22, 2021 7:41 AM
Sep 2020
Alpha_Druid said:

By main trio I meant Guts, Casca and Griffith. I forgot about Puck lol. What Griffith wants has nothing to do with the author's(R.I.P) ability to build a world. One Piece has one of the best world building imo.

I read and like One Piece too. I don't think they are very comparable and what's good about them weighs very differently to me to be fair. I would never say world building is my absolute favorite part about Berserk.

It's true that what Griffith wants doesn't say anything about the authors technique, so it might have been a dumb thing of me to bring up since it didn't explain itself. Berserk definitely doesn't go out of the way to explain why things are what they are, who the godhand are and what were their orgins.
I think how often the world changes (mostly due to Griffiths conquests) and the different locations are interesting.
May 22, 2021 7:50 AM

Oct 2015
Seiya said:
Scordolo said:
Nah fam people were hyping up the Manga and not the Anime.

"Doesn't understand the hype"
"Never read the Manga"
What a smart guy,maybe try reading the Manga so you can understand the hype?

Um, no.

I hate stuff with excessive violence and sex in it, so I know I'd hate Berserk, even without reading it. I'll never understand why people like to watch/read stuff with sex and extreme violence.

You hate stuff with excessive sex and violence Devilman fan? Do you think the excessive sex and violence is the only reason Berserk is rated highly or is it rated highly despite that?
May 22, 2021 7:53 AM

Jul 2020
MoonStar9 said:
Seiya said:

Um, no.

I hate stuff with excessive violence and sex in it, so I know I'd hate Berserk, even without reading it. I'll never understand why people like to watch/read stuff with sex and extreme violence.

You hate stuff with excessive sex and violence Devilman fan? Do you think the excessive sex and violence is the only reason Berserk is rated highly or is it rated highly despite that?

I know Berserk HELPED so many people out there with there lives.It's really triggering me how he's saying it's just known for violence and sex.It is known for having deep psychological quotes and a great story.I can even say this without reading it because I heard from other people.Those who say it's just sex and violence clearly just wants to hate the series.

To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
May 22, 2021 7:58 AM

Jul 2020
@Seiya lol speak for yourself.

To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
May 22, 2021 8:13 AM
Sep 2020
@Seiya Stop interacting with something you have no interest or knowledge of lol. You don't gain anything from posting here and your input has very close to no importance.
May 22, 2021 8:18 AM

Oct 2015
Seiya said:
MoonStar9 said:

I've never watched Devilman. A friend made that club signature for me.

Almost everything rated high on this site is "seinen adult shit" with disturbing imagery. I'm not into that stuff.

@Scordolo: Lol, Berserk never "helped" anyone with their lives. This conversation is over.

Look, I'm the first person to criticise gratuitous sex and violence for the sake of it. I don't like that shit either and I drop manga all the time because of it. But it's just not true that purely disturbing anime/manga is rated highly on this website or even anywhere in general. I looked over the top fifty and less than 10 were adult-targeted, and even less had any gratuitous violence or sex in general. Most people agree with you. Most people don't like gratuitous sex and violence in their content.

If you're not into disturbing content that's your prerogative and nobody should attack you for it, but to reduce Berserk to just that is such an insult. The writing is genuinely some of the best I have ever experienced. The characters are so well-established that they stay with you for years. The art and designs are spectacular. The series is iconic for the number of elements it introduced or popularised in fiction. Yes, you'd probably hate Berserk, it has a lot of disturbing things but that is not the reason it is popular. Do not think of Berserk in the same light as something like Dead Tube or Redo of Healer which is simply there to shock and entice people who want to see something sick.
May 22, 2021 10:46 AM

Apr 2017
Seiya said:
@Scordolo: Lol, Berserk never "helped" anyone with their lives. This conversation is over.

Objectively wrong there. Berserk has helped people cope with deaths of loved ones, with suicidal thoughts and much more. Casca has been a source of inspiration for many women of color.

But you seem like the kind of person who's already made your mind up there.
May 22, 2021 12:05 PM

Apr 2017
Seiya said:

How does seeing people getting violently raped and killed help people? That doesn't make any sense.

Anyway, you're beating a dead horse by talking to me. This all started by someone quoting a post that I made 4 years ago, lol.

Berserk is more than one singular panel that you chose to pick for your brutally infantile straw man argument.

Yeah, you are here to troll. I should have seen that before I quoted you. I’ll put you on my ignore list from now on, so I don’t bother quoting you in the future.
May 25, 2021 1:24 AM
Jan 2021
Casper said:
Can someone please explain me why this anime is looked so highly upon ? I've been told as long as i've been watching anime that this is one of the greatest and so epic that you must see it.

First things first with the question "Can someone please explain me why this anime is looked so highly upon?"..The answer is, it isn't. You started with the 2016 anime instead of the manga or 1997 anime.
Mar 26, 2022 9:48 AM

Jan 2019
This is old as fuck but I MUST STILL SAY: DID U REALLY WATCH THE SHOW?!

You may not like it and it's fine, but there's PLENTY of character progression.
May 26, 2022 4:19 AM
May 2022
I don't either. The anime is trash and so is all the Manga. Lol people only watch it for sex and violence. All the characters are boring. Also lol to the people who said Casca is an ''inspiration'' to women of color! Suree. This anime is so trash and it flopped. The manga still has no concrete ending. You guys will never get an ending to your precious story.

Will turn my reply notifications off after this comment. Goodbye Beserk fans. Your anime and manga sucks. I win you lose. I get last word and will never read any of your responses so go ahead and ''argue'' or ''insult'' me. You're wasting your time. Also have fun reading your trash manga which has no ending.

Imagine following this drivel of a story for years only to get no ending, you guys wasted your money on Beserk manga, stayed in 24/7 and read that boring mess while having no social interaction or female attention! LOL only for it to HAVE NO PAY OFF. ENJOY YOUR TRASH ENDLESS STORY. BESERK MANGA, MOVIE AND ALL MATERIAL SUCKS!

ALSO TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO THINK SOMEONE OPINION IS WRONG FOR NOT LIKING BESERK, HAHA WELL NO U WRONG BESERK SUCKS. BYE WILL NEVER RESPOND SO DONT WASTE YOUR TIME
May 27, 2022 12:07 PM

May 2021
Swagernator said:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=edgy

Also what is this ? that someone with Re: Zero in favorites is questioning Berserk quality ? What a joke.

Why would having a quality anime in their favourites be a joke? You literally have the El-Melloi anime in your favourites, making you the bigger joke here.

May 27, 2022 2:03 PM

Apr 2016
RioFS said:
Why would having a quality anime in their favourites be a joke?

How should i know ? Ask the guy from five years ago.
May 28, 2022 5:14 PM
Mar 2022
Catharsis through freudian anal suffering porn (guts being the self-insert suffering totem), twisty operatic cloak & dagger character dynamics (like Game of Throne for anime fans) and also wow big swords and edgy violence

This isn't the version of Berserk anybody actually likes fwiw
Mar 26, 2023 11:48 PM
Jan 2021
Swagernator said:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=edgy

Also what is this ? that someone with Re: Zero in favorites is questioning Berserk quality ? What a joke.
wdym by that. I like berserk and know its a masterpiece but re zero is a masterpiece as well
May 2, 2023 12:21 PM

Feb 2016
The anime isn't the one highly praised you twit it's the manga.
Jul 15, 2023 7:25 AM
Oct 2019
The original anime (1997) is overrated and the sequels (2016-17) are underrated. But the plot, world, and lore are all pretty good. 
Jul 20, 2023 5:21 PM
Sep 2015
_Peksi said:
Borjoyzee said:
Look bruh, Berserk has obviously let you down and isn't the ground breaking master piece you were crying out for, maybe you'd enjoy some Swog Fart Online or some Bog Horizon.

Hey don't you dare to put the glorious masterpiece that is Log Horizon on the same level as SAO
Wholeheartedly agree sir
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Why does berserk, one of the greatest manga has such a shitty anime adaptation?

IMortaI - Aug 14, 2023

32 by StyxParadise »»
Jun 6, 6:57 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2016

182 by Dractune »»
May 12, 10:25 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2016

990 by Bruh69XD »»
Apr 30, 7:28 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2016

231 by Qtaro91_original »»
Mar 24, 4:38 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2016

118 by Alphanumerische »»
Nov 28, 2023 12:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.