Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 6, 2016 8:09 AM

Jan 2014
It was an OK episode for me, really loved the animation, was so excited to see Rob Lucci again! looking forward for the movie now.
Aug 6, 2016 2:55 PM

May 2014
OK special. A bit sad that he didn't use Gear forth. It's after doflamingo's defeat so he obviously have that technique up his sleeve. It's true that it takes a lot strength to use it, but it would be great to see it here too. Maybe they will show it in the movie instead since this were a special to the movie Gold.
Aug 11, 2016 6:29 PM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
It's setting up for the movie, which is pretty nice in a way.

Aug 19, 2016 1:27 PM

Jun 2013
This was my favorite anime movie ever. Best experience I've had since a long time!

All Straw Hats were useful, Olga was a very pleasant character with a beautiful backstory.

5/5 =')
Weakness is a sin!
Aug 22, 2016 1:14 PM

Nov 2014
Pretty nice special with good animation quality.

Aug 23, 2016 2:07 PM
Jun 2013
I'm sorry but after the timeskip, I'm just so tired of seeing them fight these fodder guys... and to see Luffy get threatened by a dinosaur of all things...dude, use your damn Conqueror's Haki!

The plot of this was trash. If they were all on the same ship, how'd the strongest members of the crew get separated from the "weak" ones? WAY Too convenient; and just so the scriptwriter could fulfill their Nami-Robin slave fetish.

And it was beyond ridiculous that Mad Treasure's regular fists could clash with luffy's haki?! It was different when they first clashed because he had the chains around his fists but at the end he's just going at it without a care in the world. I HATE how the power of haki keeps getting minimized and tossed around likes it's just some common technique.

And this movie made CP0 look like a joke honestly. I'm not even hype for their anime appearance anymore.
Aug 26, 2016 12:20 AM
Aug 2016
Ok what's got me the most confused was how did Olga's dad survive without a piece of Pure Gold? Unless I missed it in the movie did he ever have Pure Gold on him to live 200 years???
Aug 26, 2016 12:29 AM
Aug 2016
lucascba93 said:
This special has too many plot holes... the difference in power was too wide, and yet they fought equally. It was ok when Luffy and Mad treasure traded punches with Luffy using haki and Mad treasure covering his fists with chains, but in the end Mad Treasure traded punches with Luffy without using his chains (wtf?).
Also, I understand that Olga lived 200 years because of the ring with pure gold, but why did her father lived that long? I dont think he had pure gold with him?
Olga was fine, Zoro was badass, the ending was good, the rest was disappointing.

I was confused on how Olga's father survived for 200 years as well without Pure Gold. (As far as we know)
Aug 26, 2016 9:52 PM

Jul 2014
If only the animation in the anime could be just as good.
Aug 28, 2016 8:18 PM

Jul 2013
Really enjoyed this special.

Olga <3

A solid 9/10.

Can't wait to watch the Film: Gold :)

Sep 20, 2016 4:32 AM

Jul 2008
So we have CP0, and Nami's burglar friend at the end there, good set up for the movie, and this was enjoyable enough to watch.

If you over analyze it you'll find issues galore but I did like the fights in this one.

7/10
Oct 14, 2016 7:12 AM
Oct 2014
Luffy could've really used that "Pure Gold". Since it can expands one's life span which Luffy has definitely lost a substantial amount of. If you recall all those times he uses Gear Second (drawback is reducing lifepsan) and the time he sacrificed 10 years of his life to fight Magellan's poison, that Pure Gold would've really been handy.
Oct 29, 2016 5:15 AM

Jan 2012
geemaa said:
It's setting up for the movie, which is pretty nice in a way.

Exactly and i like the fact Duration is 1 hr. 45 min.

Ot: lol that lizard dragon walking on water , nice song playing

7/10 best spec ep so far

so that how they took invitation

tr1ckst3r said:
Olga voice is the only thing I can't get over with.
Overall, fine special, I love dem thick lines they use for the artstyle.

true Bad voice acting.

Jan 12, 2017 1:15 PM

Jan 2008
I actually liked Olga's voice, it was very unique.

Overall though, the special wasn't really anything good. Completely weak enemies that held no challenge. Nami mentioned to Olga that Luffy defeated Doffy already but he had no need to use Gear Fourth on treasure dude. Hell, he didn't even need to use any of his hawk moves.

Lol at Sanji's dreams though. Not sure what Zoro was mumbling during his fight with the girl.

Felt like everyone else was needed to be useful somehow so they literally made puzzles/traps specifically for the strawhat crew.

Well, now off to watch the real movie.
Jan 15, 2017 1:04 AM

Jun 2011
It started really well, really nostalgic and fun, somewhere along the writers felt the need to continue doing the cliche scenes where somebody/something interupt the fight that started early until the end of the movie/ova. In this case, it's the overused "handicapping the strawhats". I thought the strawhats trained for the past 2 years to not be a burden to their captain and help him achieve his goal, but guess what, writers didn't get that memo I guess. I facepalm further into my skull when it was revealed that the chain that bound them was not kairouseki chain, when Robin could use her devil fruit power. That villain was not even worth a base Luffy, let alone a Gear Third Luffy, I don't know why the writers had to put in some fake suspense to make it seems like Luffy had a rough time against him.

Zoro's fight is basically a copy of what happened with Monet; Sanji's was just like what happened in Thriller Bark. TOEI needs to hire better script/story writers, someone who can think out of the box yet retain the fun aspect of the series.

There were two scenes where I thought would work in manga format but they failed to convert it well into anime. First was when the chain dude first appeared in front of the Sunny Go, he used the chain to capture Olga and it took a long while before Zoro cut the chain, I was sitting here all the time thinking, "Zoro why don't you cut that chain". Another scene was when Luffy fell off his ship trying to cushion the impact of ramming into the uvula of the sea creature, I thought, hey, Sanji, you could do something about it, and they took their sweet time before Sanji decided it's time to go save his captain's ass, after Olga went after him. Nami's reasoning for stopping Sanji was just.. incomprehensible. I also don't get how in the world that chain dude got the whole crew except for Zoro, Sanji and Franky, they were held off for the purpose of protecting the rest of the crew yet.. Uh, the PIS in this OVA piss me off.

The sad backstory felt like it was there just to make up for some sob story, they rushed through it like it was just time filler. It was lazily done.

Hopefully the movie sequel is better than this.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jan 27, 2017 4:28 PM

Apr 2013
Wow.. so much review and opinions. . Make me wonder why don't we just enjoy the movie. Welp 'human'.. lol.
WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU A HUNDRED REASONS TO CRY,
SHOW LIFE THAT
YOU HAVE A THOUSAND REASONS TO SMILE.

Feb 8, 2017 1:40 PM

Aug 2015
This should be classified as a Movie not a Special :/
Aside from that, so many flaws in this special. Still enjoyable 'cause of Robin and Nami ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)
Mar 29, 2017 2:26 PM

Aug 2014

Couldn't describe it better.
Ruka desu.
Apr 12, 2017 5:36 AM

Mar 2015
This special was hella awesome, really hyped to go and watch the Gold film itself now!

Nami was smoking!!

I'm watching this having reached episode 783, so watching the team altogether up to their usual shenanigans is refreshing!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
May 9, 2017 11:15 PM

Jan 2014
this is a meh for me..

I mean, Luffy crew getting chain so easily, and they never tried to break free.

also, the title is "One Piece", if there's a treasure equal to buying the world, I think they already found the "One Piece", yeah, that's the Pure Gold lol.
that's what I thought. except "One Piece" is a different thing (not a treasure of diamond and gold).

that woman, I think she's the one with Nami in the past. are they a friend or rival in burglar?
May 20, 2017 4:52 PM

Apr 2010
Ugh why do they always have to include some annoying brat character into these things so often?

The same cliche kid character who hates what the main cast are and all they do is shout and act spoilt.
Oct 31, 2017 2:40 PM

Apr 2013
There was so much wrong with this movie, I don't even know where to start... Let's just drive right into a huge fish's mouth and hope that we survive. A big fish for no reason at all hunts for pure gold. Everyone except for the monster trio and Franky gets caught offscreen. You're totally my enemy, but I'll tell you that I'm a musician so you can threaten me to play the organ or my friends will all die.

Biggest disappointment though was that Zoro didn't fight the swordsman and Sanji didn't fight the chick...
Jan 1, 2018 1:36 PM
Mar 2015
I honestly don't understand how anyone could rate this 8/10 or more, or how anybody truly enjoyed Olga's VA for anything except her singing.

The VA was mediocre at best for many of the characters, their interactions felt so fake. The story was boring, the villains didn't have a convincing goal or strength either, how could anyone from CP0 get taken out that easily, and how could anyone go head to head against Luffy without mastering haki?

I can't believe that any character would get fooled by the camouflage facepaint, and I knew Luffy was an idiot, but I didn't think they would portray him as being THAT stupid. And the entire crew should've never been caught that easily.
The random outfit changes and unnecessary fanservice didn't make it any better.

All in all they could've made two filler episodes instead, and it would've probably been a lot better.

4/10
Mar 5, 2018 10:16 PM

Jan 2012
lucascba93 said:
This special has too many plot holes... the difference in power was too wide, and yet they fought equally. It was ok when Luffy and Mad treasure traded punches with Luffy using haki and Mad treasure covering his fists with chains, but in the end Mad Treasure traded punches with Luffy without using his chains (wtf?).
Also, I understand that Olga lived 200 years because of the ring with pure gold, but why did her father lived that long? I dont think he had pure gold with him?
Olga was fine, Zoro was badass, the ending was good, the rest was disappointing.

I believe the light from the angler fish kept them at their current age.

After getting over the initial confusion of where this fell in the main story line (it doesn't), I'd say it was alright. Olga was pretty awesome, but the touching moment of the movie just didn't have the same impact that one piece is usually able to produce. The fights didn't seem right. Everyone seemed weaker. It's more noticeable if you start to think about the shit the straw hats did at Dressorosa.

All in all, it was an okay movie. It doesn't quite live up to the main series, but at least it was better than the Davy Back arc (which was partially canon).

7/10
BaldarkMar 5, 2018 10:25 PM
Apr 6, 2018 5:13 PM

Mar 2016
This special movie was entertaining and I especially love how it connects to Film: Gold.

However, I hate how the Strwahats were all nerfed af! Luffy could've just one shot Mad Treasure, especially with haki and gear 2! Mad Treasure doesn't even seem to know how to use haki! The same thing goes for all other Strawhats members. I know it's all for this movie's plot, but still no.
Jan 23, 2020 7:15 AM

Jan 2013
Olga wasn't as annoying as I thought she'd be, the voice acting was just meh, same with the father.
I feel like they hired 2 randoms because they were out of time.
Actually I just checked who voiced them and they've not voice acted anything besides Heart of Gold, that explains a lot.

As for the story, I honestly enjoyed it, it's your typical story that One Piece has done over and over but that doesnt mean it's bad.
Interesting to see such an insane object though, despite that, I dont think we'll ever of it again, which is a shame.

8/10
Mar 29, 2020 2:06 AM

Aug 2012
Got worse as it went along. There were definitely things I liked about it, I rather enjoyed the fact that the special gave moments for Brook and Usopp to particularly shine by crafting challenges around their roles in the crew. Chopper also got to shine by being a great aid during both of those challenges, as well as curing Olga at the end. Robin's archaeology was used for her reading and she also got to help during Brook's. And Nami got to shine by not being able to put a key in the right lock and almost killing everyone. Seriously though, Nami's the only Straw Hat in this movie that didn't get one moment to look cool, I guess she had her Mad Treasure Backstory and talks with Olga but such a bad look for her. And yeah, I wasn't thrilled that they all got conveniently kidnapped but at least it also allowed most of them a moment to shine. Again, except for Nami.

Beyond that, the animation was nice and there were some good brief moments. I liked Zoro telling Naomi that flying slash attacks are pretty common nowadays, I liked the Scientist being super happy at seeing Franky's robot, while I didn't like the gag itself I liked that the smug face was plot important, and I like Brook's explanation on how to walk on water (Put your left foot forward before your right foot sinks). The location and setting of the special felt pretty One Piece-esque too.

As for the negatives, outside of the common complaints about the crew nerfing and stuff, the whole Friends theme this time around was particularly bad. Like, I understand that a lot of the filler stuff like to drill in nakama and what not but usually they go through the bother of making it earned in the narrative. It just wasn't here. Like sure, Mad Treasure happens to think of his friends as little more than tools apparently, but he never really showcased that in the special. Maybe he didn't care about the mooks, but once they were dead, he just used his captured slaves to do all the trials. He also never really treated any of his named comrades bad, Naomi and P guy I forgot the first half of his DJ name. He also never really said anything that disparaging about the concepts of friends to Luffy really, I don't understand why Luffy suddenly started yelling at him about Nakama. Olga also had this side thing were she believes people are best just used not trusted and Nami has to tell her otherwise, friends are people you trust, not betray (which reminds me, I didn't found Olga's trait of saying her thoughts out loud funny but I did enjoy how casual Nami was about the whole thing "But she's going to betray as at the end"), and it's just like, where did that develop? I get that she's got daddy issues and I guess you can say she was just jaded by the whole experience of living alone for 200 years, but she clearly had a companion in Elizabeth. Granted, Elizabeth was a lizard thing not a person, I'm just saying her grudge against her father doesn't necessarily translate to not agreeing with friends, especially when we know she loved her mother so her experience with people as far as we know was 50-50 on the good-bad, they didn't need to shove those lines in there. Also, Sanji's fight was dumb. I don't know where else to complain about that, though I liked Sanji walking off earlier on to make Olga food or him just Sky Walking immediately upon hearing Nami & Robin were slave-ified. None of the fights here were actually memorable at all come to think of it, and I love chains.

Overall, 5/10 for me.
May 30, 2020 5:02 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Eh, it was just too plain and boring for me, if I'm to be brutally honest.

I didn't have a problem with Olga's voice at all and I happened to like her by the end and aside from a few nice character interactions, nothing else really clicked for me. Fan-service is always strong for this series and this is no exception.

On the other hand, story was even more bland than the usual Movie plots, fights inconsistent and bewildering at instances, animation not the finest but good enough and the villain just terrible as well.

Seriously though, how the hell is the father alive after 200 years?

Anyways, that aside, this is just a buildup to the Gold film so it's no biggies. Now, here's to hoping that'll at least deliver.

Sorry, but it gets a (Average) 5/10 score from me.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 6, 2020 11:30 PM

Jul 2011
_MushiRock11_ said:
Eh, it was just too plain and boring for me, if I'm to be brutally honest.

I didn't have a problem with Olga's voice at all and I happened to like her by the end and aside from a few nice character interactions, nothing else really clicked for me. Fan-service is always strong for this series and this is no exception.

On the other hand, story was even more bland than the usual Movie plots, fights inconsistent and bewildering at instances, animation not the finest but good enough and the villain just terrible as well.

Seriously though, how the hell is the father alive after 200 years?

Anyways, that aside, this is just a buildup to the Gold film so it's no biggies. Now, here's to hoping that'll at least deliver.

Sorry, but it gets a (Average) 5/10 score from me.

Humans live longer in the One Piece universe. You knew that right? :)
Jul 7, 2020 12:18 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
AndyPRO said:
Humans live longer in the One Piece universe. You knew that right? :)

According to One Piece Wiki, humans can live up to 141 years old. And that too is Kurenai thanks to her medical expertise.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Dec 12, 2020 4:44 AM

Sep 2019
This one's bad, unlikable generic characters, shitty villens, mad dog! Say what? Nahh man I can't
Mar 11, 2021 9:38 PM

Feb 2020
so i am slowly catching up with the current one piece episodes and movies and I found this one to be pretty good. for a one piece movie it had that sense of adventure then leading to the main conflict with the antagonist. I also like how they made a sequel to the movie which they haven't done before. One thing I didnt like was Olga's voice actress tho, her voice didnt match what her character looked like and was a little weird for me.

Jan 2, 2022 8:39 AM

Dec 2012
Gold movie canon related scene:

Nami is slaying that swimsuit.
An invitation? Gran Tersoro?
Dat Nami booty.
Dat ending.
A man.
Dat bird... it's...
Gild Tesoro.
Who is that with the nice oppai and booty?
Dat reveal. Oh, she cute.

I only came for the Gold movie related scene. Not sure who the animator was for the special, but they did not do Nami justice. Her design just lacked "oomph!". I had to force myself at times to decide if she looked great. You can see on the timestamp where I just stopped and there was 50 mins left. That's because there was nothing good after that.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jun 22, 2022 10:15 PM

Nov 2010
Sanji is so hilarious with that dream of his. I wish I could also convert my perversion into such power. lol

I wish I could get my hand on that pure gold. I wanna live for as long as possible!

The story is good, but it was way too long! It should've been 30 mins shorter. 7/10
MizuhoKamuiJun 23, 2022 7:03 PM
Aug 8, 2023 6:00 AM
May 2021
pretty good. Villain and his crew were meh, but I liked how each of the strawhats had their cool moments
Dec 29, 2023 11:27 PM

Aug 2019
I’m sorry but Olga sounds weird and looks creepy sometimes. She has zero emotions, like her delivery of the lines is flat. 

Bruh, Luffy ate a dinosaur, that is a great feat in and of itself.

I always feel better when I see Luffy smile. He also looks good in that outfit lol

Olga’s dad knowing how speak to dinosaurs is wild.
Dec 31, 2023 1:26 PM

May 2021
As the others have said Olga's voice actress is terrible . I don't blame the voice actress but those who chose her . It was a total failure to chose this inexperienced voice actress for such a big role in a such major anime special , Olga's dad voice actor was also absolutely terrible. For me voice acting is half of the experience in animated movies or series and since the pacing of the story wasn't also that good , it made this one piece special boring even though it had much more potential . Hopefully the sequel will be better
YubisoftJan 1, 3:03 AM

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» When will it be subbed?

ie_above11D - Jul 17, 2016

8 by ie_above11D »»
Jul 21, 2016 6:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.