Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 7, 2015 10:31 AM

Apr 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Not sure if that filthy monkey is worthy of fighting Yabuki, but we'll see.
themanualreader@proton.me
Mar 31, 2015 9:23 AM

Feb 2010
A monkey might be more civilized than Harimau... though I definitely get what Yohko's trying to do.

Joe will most likely win, but what's important here is that Yohko wins. If not, Jose is gonna crush Joe.

People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations. - Yang Wen-li
Aug 15, 2015 2:21 AM
Nov 2014
Lmao, I cannot take Harimau seriously XD. Good episode nonetheless, the way Harimau murdered Joe at the end was brilliant. Game on lol.
Mar 11, 2016 10:39 AM

Jul 2010
Well Harimau sure is...something else Joe has never faced before LOL

Also Joe are you blind? can't you see it's YOU that Noriko is in love with...so dense.
Mar 27, 2016 11:49 PM

Dec 2009
That Harimau doesn't even seem human. Hope Joe beats him down to a pulp.
Apr 12, 2016 8:07 PM

Dec 2008
BruceLad said:
Lmao, I cannot take Harimau seriously XD

This.
He feels so out of place - not realistic at all :/
Oct 19, 2016 3:09 AM

Feb 2013
Comparing Harimau with Joe is a joke, lol, he is wild, too wild.
May 6, 2017 11:30 AM
Feb 2017
LMAO holy shit that monkey is straight up a savage, I think this fight will be good for Yabuki though
Jul 25, 2017 7:31 PM

Nov 2016
Lol, that's what I call wild.

This is gonna be an interesting match.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 8, 2017 10:29 AM

Jul 2015
So next they will be killing a monkey, I see.
Feb 17, 2018 11:44 PM

Nov 2012
This new "boxer" is a fucking animal lmao.

The diversity in Joe's opponents is remarkable, though. none of them are similar to each other at all. all of them are unique in a way. the only two that i would say are somewhat similar are Rikiishi and Jose, which is a nice parallel considering that both of them represent the end of the spectrum. Rikiishi is Joe's first opponent, and Jose is Joe's last opponent.
May 4, 2018 2:24 PM

Aug 2016
Don1Joker said:
This new "boxer" is a fucking animal lmao.

The diversity in Joe's opponents is remarkable, though. none of them are similar to each other at all. all of them are unique in a way. the only two that i would say are somewhat similar are Rikiishi and Jose, which is a nice parallel considering that both of them represent the end of the spectrum. Rikiishi is Joe's first opponent, and Jose is Joe's last opponent.

I can imagine Rikiishi and Jose drinking some coffee and having a civilized conversation about manly things and stuff.
:v
May 22, 2018 10:56 AM

Aug 2013
I have a problem with the way a lot of the characters have been acting, especially Yoko. I get that she's concerned and wants Joe to be at his best fighting Jose, but the way she's going about it is awful. And on that topic, what's so bad about Joe having calmed down. He grew up, he matured, he realized blowing up every time someone slights you isn't always the best option. He's a Shonen manga/anime main character that actually received legitimate character development, why on earth would you want to undo that.
Feb 25, 2019 4:34 AM
Feb 2019
Oh my God, I think this episode can't air in this era.
Easily expect some people get offended by it.
As a Japanese, I feel sorry for that.
Sep 30, 2019 4:34 PM
Apr 2016
Okay, I definitely didn't expect this "wild boxer," to be like this, he's straight up just an impertinent discourteous uncivil animal. I see where Yoko is coming from though, and from what I see, this little scheme is going to work.
Sep 29, 2020 11:33 AM

Jan 2010
With all the depictions of other countries' boxers in Ashita no Joe, I can't say too many of them seem like kind images. For the Malaysian Harimau, he seems like a particularly bad representation. There are still indigenous tribes there, but they're not primitive savages.

It's once again brought up, but it's put much more succinctly this time. Joe is really short-sighted and only cares about himself. Everything in his world is defined by himself.

With Yoko, I'm not sure what she was expecting. She brought over an aggressive animal of a man over to a known hothead, they almost break out into a brawl, and then she's surprised that Joe kept his cool and walked away? It's clear that Joe just wants to fight Jose, and he's not trying to get into unnecessary fights. All these unnecessary detours, as Joe puts it, really seem like they're just to piss him off.

Anyways, in retrospect, maybe Ashita no Joe veers into the realm of a Byronic tale. Joe is a character defined by his rivals, but he can only compete, or even feel alive, when he has a clear rival he's aiming for. In absence of that, he loses his will to live. In other words, he needs a rival to keep his inner flame lit. However, unlike most shounen-esque stories, Joe keeps losing his rivals one after another, either due to serious injuries or death. As a result, he keeps losing his flame bit by bit. He keeps trying to find replacements, and each time he's less and less enthralled. He wants to burn out in the ring, as he can no longer live normally outside of boxing. To do so, he needs a strong rival, but since he keeps losing them, he's also losing himself.

He only knows how to fight, but without someone to properly fight with, he can't do anything else. At that point, he might as well be dead. It's probably why he tends to drift around when he's not fighting. In that sense, Ashita no Joe makes sense as a tragedy about a man who's broken because he keeps breaking everyone else he finds worthy. If this interpretation holds any truth, then while I may not necessarily enjoy the show, I recognize that it's one hell of a story.
ShockedApr 27, 2023 10:05 PM
Apr 8, 2021 9:48 AM

Feb 2012
This must be the most racist depiction of a non-Japanese character I've seen in anime.
Mar 6, 2022 8:43 AM

Apr 2011
That Harimau guy must have been the inspiration for Street Fighter 2's Blanka.
Mar 30, 2022 4:51 AM

May 2018
Lol this is getting stupid
Mar 30, 2022 4:52 AM

May 2018
Feorg said:
This must be the most racist depiction of a non-Japanese character I've seen in anime.

nah bro ur just a yellow animal
May 24, 2022 3:42 PM
Jul 2021
lol, my man joe is really going to fight a monkey
May 30, 2022 12:48 AM

Jan 2021
This is somewhat hilarious.
We got to see a Joesus moment in the end.

I wonder how long Harimau will last before getting disqualified lol.
That probably won't hapoen but still...
Looking forward to this fight!
Dec 5, 2022 2:57 PM

Mar 2018
Dont I love me some racism on my japanimation

Sarcasm aside I want to point out how incredibly funny Harimau's kick was when Joe had his back towards him. It was so absurdly done. Like doing a fronflip 1cm up the ground
"A name... Toru Rikiishi"
Apr 27, 2023 2:08 PM

Jan 2013
Shocked said:
Anyways, in retrospect, maybe Ashita no Joe veers into the realm of a Byronic tale. Joe is a character defined by his rivals, but he can only compete, or even feel alive, when he has a clear rival he's aiming for. In absence of that, he loses his will to live. In other words, he needs a rival to kee his inner flame lit. However, unlike most shounen-esque stories, Joe keeps losing his rivals one after another, either due to serious injuries or death. As a result, he keeps losing his flame bit by bit. He keeps trying to find replacements, and each time he's less and less enthralled. He wants to burn out in the ring, as he can no longer live normally outside of boxing. To do so, he needs a strong rival, but since he keeps losing them, he's also losing himself.

He only knows how to fight, but without someone to properly fight with, he can't do anything else. At that point, he might as well be dead. It's probably why he tends to drift around when he's not fighting. In that sense, Ashita no Joe makes sense as a tragedy about a man who's broken because he keeps breaking everyone else he finds worthy. If this interpretation holds any truth, then while I may not necessarily enjoy the show, I recognize that it's one hell of a story.

Well put ... as his fire keeps getting smaller he loses that wildness he had inside of him, that hunger for more, something Yoko figured out and is desperate to get back.

Maybe that's also where the series is headed, Joe devotes everything he has to boxing but at what cost, overdoing it will eventually catch up to you.
Rikiishi died from wanting to get to Bantamweight so badly to fight Joe that ultimately his weight loss killed him.
Same with Carlos, out of the spotlight, he wanted too much too fast, he fought Jose right after Joe (which already took a huge toll on him)
PrOxAntoApr 27, 2023 3:01 PM
Sep 10, 2023 10:22 PM
May 2017
Joe before fighting Rikiishi never lost his will to fight strong fighters or never stop trying to enjoying a match. But this time he just fixate on one opponents and ignore the rest. This way he have came close to losing to Kim. If it wasn't for his mental trauma Joe would have lost and if same with Leon where he almost lost by points and didn't came close to winning by KO. He would have been eaten by Gomez even though he is not as tough as Jose.
Feb 7, 2:09 AM

Jan 2011
When we first saw him I thought they got a caveman, and turned out that's not too far off.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ashita no Joe 2 Episode 47 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Be4st - Jul 6, 2013

107 by diogofla »»
May 20, 11:02 PM

Poll: » Ashita no Joe 2 Episode 1 Discussion

Sad - Oct 6, 2014

26 by mjallday187 »»
May 10, 7:40 AM

Poll: » Ashita no Joe 2 Episode 45 Discussion

Akai_Shuichi - Mar 31, 2015

21 by wibugar »»
May 10, 1:23 AM

Poll: » Ashita no Joe 2 Episode 46 Discussion

Akai_Shuichi - Mar 31, 2015

15 by JoaoPedru »»
Mar 13, 9:26 PM

Poll: » Ashita no Joe 2 Episode 44 Discussion

Karusan - Jan 7, 2014

32 by JoaoPedru »»
Mar 13, 8:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.