Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (27) « First ... « 24 25 [26] 27 »
May 12, 2020 12:37 PM
Oct 2018
all the PKs unironically deserve it and they should have died, squealer was a true fucking hero.
he didnt do a single thing wrong, it is the right of anyone to fight and kill as many as their slave masters
May 15, 2020 2:19 PM
Jan 2018
Why Maria's daughter didn't die when she killed Kinoumaru's colony?
May 15, 2020 2:37 PM
Oct 2018
LHashDe said:
Why Maria's daughter didn't die when she killed Kinoumaru's colony?

she didnt because she only paralyzed them and took their weapons, the other monster rats killed them
Jun 10, 2020 12:08 PM
Apr 2012
darkj25 said:
After finishing this slightly long journey of 25 episodes, I could see why this was rated pretty high. This is definitely a good show. While it's not exactly my preference, I would not hesitate to recommend this.

7/10.

Pretty much agree with this.

This civilization still has several more problems to deal with. Also didn't like the pairing.

It's indeed a work of art, that I enjoyed enough. Just not my cup of tea.
Jun 15, 2020 6:42 AM

Jun 2019
Party positive ending. I was hoping to see a sad ending. But it was not bad at all. Saki and Sataru get end up together. I feel sorry Yaokimaru his motive is bit bad. He shows us the true nature of human. Starting of the anime was way stronger than the ending. But it was not bad at all.
Jun 15, 2020 6:55 AM

Jun 2019
Xaelath said:
It could be an awesome drama if they pushed it abit without dragging too much..

I dont have any comment about the animation the first few episodes 1-4 is quite amazing, it fells on 5 and return to normal again on 6.

I expect the kid was Maria, but it seems they make it the Fiend their Kids instead.
Theres some stuff i would question too, what exactly happen to w Maria and Mamoru when their bone discovered with the exact same DNA.
Shouldnt they live to make the baby first? or right after the "Search and Retrieve" they had sex . Later they were killed by the Squeerats and taken their baby.

Well i would say the best twist are Squeerats are Human, I thought kidnapped/missing children turned into one but i guess they just disposed/killed.
They basically inject the mammals dna and turning them(human) to weird or mutated monster.. Scientist did it right..? The people who doesnt had the Power.. they're turned into one.
Such fate, but its necessary to maintain peace... or is it?
In exchange of turning them into one, the one who had the power also given a "Death feedback" so none of them kill each other.

The terms of Fiend basically a human who doesnt think himself as one and his enemy, basically negating the death feedback effect, but it will also applied if the person think he/she killed one of his/her kin.
The real Fiend wouldnt think had that issue ( i think), thus making the fiend heselfr/himself could kill anyone without Death Feedback issue.

In the end no one is right and no one is wrong.

Finished it in 2 Days

I actually like Saki and Maria relationship, that also includes Saki and Shun relationship.
Sadly both killed too soon.. At least Maria get alots of development.
I was expecting Maria to be a fiend isntead of her kid, it would make alot of drama and question her friendship and choice.
Seems the story only applied to Japan country, theres alot of animation that also shows the school from different country but i guess thats not necessary.
The anime get darkers every episode isnt it..?

Also the Shin what person that could split the earth in to two is laughable..

So we saw in the end that Saki get her memory back. And she remember about Shun. But she didn't say a word to Sataru. So my point is will Sataru gonna remember almost Shin in future? Until unless Saki will bring this up.
Jun 22, 2020 12:31 PM
Mar 2019
after all, who is the monster? the squealer's motivations were understandable.
Great ending!
Jul 6, 2020 4:42 AM

Nov 2016
Damn people are really tugging this series ballsack it was just aight 6/10 plot-wise for me. 8.5/10 enjoyability wise tho a very interesting watch
CPU: i7 6700 | GPU: GTX 1070 | RAM: 16GB | HD: 1TB | Moderators are mean! | D. Gray Man Hallow is UNDERRATED!

Jul 12, 2020 5:04 AM
Oct 2019
Squealer my man, you'll live on in history.... This anime was the worst still worth watching... I don't know why but my emotions toward this anime is just as complex as the story line of this anime.... I loved it as a psychological genre. Maybe, it deserve as one of the best psychological anime (just maybe).... The undisputed truth it has showed us is beyond telling... sayonara
Jul 22, 2020 4:49 PM

Mar 2014
So in the end it was really just about the queerats vs humans, when all I cared about was the mysteries of this society and Saki's group of friends and their fates etc. The show definitely went in the wrong direction imo.
Jul 22, 2020 4:51 PM

Mar 2014
Momono said:
Very nice, I would rate this 10/10 but -1 because of the controversial episodes (9/10)

You deducted a point because you're homophobic? Lmaooooooo
Jul 26, 2020 9:31 AM

Aug 2018
When I thought dropping the shows in half first episodes of the series, it just turned out to be masterpiece till the end. Excellent!
Aug 9, 2020 1:56 AM

Apr 2015
jesus. this anime was absolutely madness from the beginning to end. i picked this up without reading the horror label and...i really have no words to describe what I just watched. honestly, my heart is still racing and my head and heart hurts.

the beginning was really disorienting but i think the way the story was told really encapsulates the horrors and confusion of what it means to be human. i love all of the mains and my heart was so scared that satouru was going to be killed off lmao (he is the best)

watching this anime in a pandemic and our current world, i think a lot about the ending and the bigger meaning and how the creators decided to resolve the end. i think the message is in line to what humanity is really. squealer wasn't wrong, he was human. and the way they even mocked him in the trial says it all about how we (as humans) treat others to be subhumans, or who deserves to live etc...

it was hard to find the perfect ending no doubt, but i think in this situation the whole getting married and having a kid for the greater good of humanity or whatever was kinda cheesy, but, they needed some hope at the end and to slow down the momentum of the story, so im not too terribly upset. i kinda like the romance hehe.

i still think about the death of shun, the disposal of the children, and how squealer probably killed maria and mamouru which still grips me. definately an unforgettable anime.

Although we part as I leave for Inaba,
where pines grow on the moutain peaks
If I am to hear that you pine for me
I shall come back to you again
Hyakunin Isshu (小倉百人一首):
Poem #16 "Tachiwakare"
©
Aug 25, 2020 6:43 PM

Jun 2020
This has grown to become one of my all-time favorites. A dark, psychological thriller that really portrays the themes of gray morality. A fucking masterpiece in my opinion.
Oct 17, 2020 4:32 AM
Jul 2020
> Akki killed the Giant Hornets,
No, she only disarmed them, but I agree it's very confusing since because it's said they turned into lump of meat but not caused by bombs. My theory is that the squealer army killed the giant hornet first and the child turned the corpses into mush to erase any evidence, so the child didn't technically kill them and no death feedback,

> why humanity decided to make sentient libraries,
I agree, it's weird, maybe it's a better way to preserve books that are inside a biological robot that can evade attackers/canctus users?, I guess...
but I wonder why don't they hunt down these false minoshiros since they already know that knowledge is considered dangerous?

> why keep queerats alive and waste resources on managing them when you have loyal murdercats
Because queerats are cheap labors, and murdercats are murdercats, can't do manual work.
I think an interesting question would be... why didn't the ancestors kill all non-canctus human so that there are only canctus users remain on earth, it would be easier...

> how did the bones left have Maria and Mamoru's DNAs when there wasn't enough time for Maria to give birth before the bones were found
Yeah the timing is a bit difficult.
Squealer lied to the humans that they both fell off a cliff, so he had to wait until the snow thawed and dug their bones. But in order to kill Maria and steal her baby, Squealer had to wait for 9 months or so, too long. Another theory is that they extract the bones while they're still alive...

> how none of the village chiefs notice that Akki doesn't show fiend symptoms especially when they recently had Shun which they noticed immediately,
Because Shun is a karma demon and the child is just a normal child, she isn't even a fiend.
Karma demon isn't the same as fiend. What's bothering me is that the animators add some black fog surrounding her, maybe to add some mysterious aura.

> why nobody thought to take the fall and kill Akki while taking death-feedback instead of dying pointlessly,
Because of "attack inhibition"

> how a 10 year who's taught how to use cantus by rats that can't use it mop the floor with the strongest cantus user,
Because of "attack inhibition"
Oct 19, 2020 8:38 AM

Jul 2013
Contrary to what many people think, I think the characters here are well written for a very plot driven show. There really isn't much to grow when almost everybody is an established character since the beginning. They've been consistent all throughout and their development is explained when they do change.
Oct 20, 2020 9:13 PM

Apr 2020
Great series. I thoug I was going to deslike it judging by the events on the first episodes without any clear explanations, the death feedback shit, the cat, the rats and the fiend/karma demon, not much explanations at all, but everything got clear by the end.

The OST, despite of being short, it was very well used on the right moments, specially the girls's choir, very beautiful and yet mysterious.

9/10.
I neither agree nor disagree, on the contrary.
Nov 10, 2020 3:08 AM

Jul 2017
Despite losing its way towards the end for me, and the pacing of this episode, I felt that this was a pretty strong end towards resolving everything and even showing a little epilogue with Saki and Satoru married with a kid coming soon. They've sure been through a hell of a lot in their lives from when they were really young, but at least the hope they still have for society is still nice, to say the least.

6/10 overall for me. It had its moments where I wanted to give it a 5, and moments where I wanted to increase the score too but I feel this is just about right for my personal feelings. A fine show that could have been great with more consistency and better writing, especially character writing for some of the cast members here. Saki at least improved a lot and grew to be a good character by the end which is nice.
Nov 25, 2020 9:36 PM

Apr 2015
Just finished binging through the 25 episodes in three days and wow, this anime totally went in a different direction than I thought. I'm slightly annoyed at how readily Saki was wiling to sacrifice Kiroumaru when she selfishly destroyed the psychobuster cause she didn't want Satoru to die. It makes sense and it cements the idea of how selfish humans are, but still. The big reveal of queerats technically being humans was chilling, although I've always suspected it. I could empathize with Squealer, although of course his way of doing things wasn't morally right. But I'd say his actions were pretty justified and he's honestly the best character in this show for me.

Overall I'd say I liked it. It definitely had a slow start like many people say, but it really started to kick off at episode 12 for me when the backstory of fiends was explained. My main problems were in the characters and the limited use of cantus. I did not like any of the main characters, including Saki. She didn't have a very interesting personality and it felt like she didn't do much, considering how we were always following her POV. She rarely uses her cantus well, isn't very intelligent, often listens to other people's plans without much thought/skepticism, and always has to count on someone else to save her (Satoru, Kiroumaru, Tomiko, Inui, etc.). Seriously, why was she chosen to succeed Tomiko? Yeah sure, she's brave and her mental stability is great but other than that...eh. I liked her decision to finally let Squealer die at least. The other characters weren't really fleshed out well either; there were too many time skips and I couldn't care less when Shun, Maria, Mamoru died.

But otherwise, I really liked the story; the worldbuilding and portrayal of gray morality were particularly brilliant. The utopia/dystopia setting and Squealer definitely carried this whole show for me. Pretty similar to Psycho Pass with Makishima, although I liked the main characters in that show at least. Ultimately I'd give it a 8/10, might slightly increase or decrease as time goes on as I let what I just watched fully sink in.
Edit: So it's been several days and I've decided to bump the score up to a 8.5/10 and rate the anime a 9 overall, cause the setting/world-building and portrayal of gray human morality is truly phenomenal and one of the best imo. If anyone has bothered to read this far, please feel free to recommend me any more anime with those qualities cause I'm dying to know.
XiaoNov 28, 2020 6:05 PM

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Dec 14, 2020 7:20 AM

Dec 2017
7/10, mainly because of how stupid and annoying all the humans were. Overall though it was pretty good, especially the ending. Its worth enough to give this series a try. Kinda sad Kiroumaru didn't get enough screen time, they even forgot about the guy who saved saki in previous episode :(

Also those who are complaining about the non-existent plot holes in this show really needs to rewatch it properly. Every question about those "plot holes" gets answered in the show itself. Otherwise please don't bother rating or commenting about it.
❝Kabo-chan is ran by the MAL staff team and does not respond to individual comments made on her profile.❞
I was immensely devastated.
Dec 29, 2020 10:51 PM

Dec 2012
So basically Saki foiled the Psychobuster attack (which at the time it was literally dooming humanity) because she might lose her last friend but had no qualms in asking a queerrat to sacrifice his life. Wow, what a fucking horrible person.

Anyways... Pacing was terrible and the only likeable character died.

RIP, Kiroumarou. You will be remembered.
Kal'tsit: Is that... really worth it? Amiya...

Amiya: Even if no one understands me... I'll keep going on the path I choose.
Maybe it will incinerate me to dust... But if I don't do it, no one can.

Arknights ▵ Crylix#0810
Jan 19, 2021 7:56 AM
Aug 2013
I really enjoyed this series but there are so many things that I wanted them to elaborate.
I wanted to know more things about the world, another episode like the one where they discovered false minoshiro would be great.
I also would love to see a change in their way of living. Satouru and Saki witnessed so many things and questioned their ethics, I'd love to see the reflection of that, a new order of society or at least a discussion for that was needed in my opinion. Now it feels like they went through all this pain and destruction and just kept living the way they do.
Jan 24, 2021 5:02 PM

Mar 2016
i didn't like saki in the beginning and she had utterly no redeeming aspects.

rip kiromarou, the only decent character in the show along with squonk, shotaro, maria, and shun

good and solid show, the plot was a little whack in places sadly :(

Feb 2, 2021 11:07 PM
Sep 2018
deave112 said:
Elite60 said:
While Saki and Satoru end up together, they will remember all the pain and suffering they went through plus losing their friends and family along the way. Bittersweet ending seems pretty appropriate here.

While they've lost everyone they ever loved, they've still managed to move on with their lives and they're seem happy in the end.

That said that final scene with Saki's parents and all of their dead friends really made me sad. Thay've lost SO MUCH. It's just so sad to think that they are the only two left and that they will never see Maria, Mamoru and Shun ever again :-(

No one cares about that 6th member.. Lol
Feb 20, 2021 2:36 PM
Apr 2015
i didn't like how they used kiromaru
i was soo angry, but still ended up crying, 9/10
Feb 24, 2021 6:14 PM
Feb 2016
This show was a Trainwreck from the start. Saki is no more useful than Sakura and was essentially carried by every other character. The plot point with what happened to Japan, her dead brother/sister and the establishment of those other scientist kingdom never got resolved.

Not too mention that turning saki in to this wonderchild while getting rid of every useful character is so shitty. What pushed her this far is pure indecisive,luck and her friends. This show has so much potential,but it got flushed down the toilet.
Feb 25, 2021 10:28 PM

Feb 2018
DHD534 said:

So we saw in the end that Saki get her memory back. And she remember about Shun. But she didn't say a word to Sataru. So my point is will Sataru gonna remember almost Shin in future? Until unless Saki will bring this up.

Satoru remembered Shun when Saki said Shun's name
Feb 25, 2021 10:33 PM

Feb 2018
Weebslayer89 said:
This show was a Trainwreck from the start. Saki is no more useful than Sakura and was essentially carried by every other character. The plot point with what happened to Japan, her dead brother/sister and the establishment of those other scientist kingdom never got resolved.

It's implied Japan was destroyed by weapons of mass destruction. They also explain the fact that humanity's lingering view of Tokyo as a living hell has made it so, due to the subconscious leaking of their power.

Saki's sibling was killed by a Killer Cat due to their weak PK control

I'm not sure what you mean by establishment of "those other scientist kingdom." There are other districts like Kamisu 66 scattered around Japan, but Shinsekai Yori's plot was relatively self-contained — there was no particular reason to introduce this external factor.
Mar 3, 2021 5:06 PM
Feb 2016
Kaesec said:
Weebslayer89 said:

It's implied Japan was destroyed by weapons of mass destruction. They also explain the fact that humanity's lingering view of Tokyo as a living hell has made it so, due to the subconscious leaking of their power.

Saki's sibling was killed by a Killer Cat due to their weak PK control

I'm not sure what you mean by establishment of "those other scientist kingdom." There are other districts like Kamisu 66 scattered around Japan, but Shinsekai Yori's plot was relatively self-contained — there was no particular reason to introduce this external factor.

I was aware of the nuclear destruction of Japan. They showed it in the flashback when that one school kid went on a rampage and later on the psychics becoming a greater percentage of the population. But their subsequent exploration of japan was really limited to tokyo ravage while the rest of japan looked like a forest. Weird juxtaposition is you ask me.

I wasn't aware that her sibling got killed by a killer cat. Thanks for letting me know

What I meant was that there were 4 other kingdoms out there including saki's. The first one was the one saki lives in which resembles feudal japan,the second one is with the rats and their various forms,third the scientists who made the whole library and encoded the genes of the psychics and there was a fourth one but i don't remember it
Mar 4, 2021 3:12 PM

Feb 2018
Weebslayer89 said:

What I meant was that there were 4 other kingdoms out there including saki's. The first one was the one saki lives in which resembles feudal japan,the second one is with the rats and their various forms,third the scientists who made the whole library and encoded the genes of the psychics and there was a fourth one but i don't remember it

here: https://shinsekaiyori.fandom.com/wiki/World%27s_History
Mar 16, 2021 9:04 PM
Jul 2018
Kiromaru and Squealer didn't deserve any of this
The scene with the impure cats was cute as hell ´・ᴗ・ `
I absolulety loved this anime and it's conclusion
There were some heavy dialogued episodes and the start wasn't at all perfect but I'm really glad I didn't give up on this anime.
9/10
Mar 31, 2021 9:07 PM

Jun 2020
I just finished the Rat Arc and I got to say the show started to get really good around episode 15 for me personally. It was definitely one hell of a ride from Episode 15 and Squealer was definitely the best character in the whole series for me.

I also felt a bit sad for Kiroumaru when he sacrificed himself. I give him my full respect as he wanted to ensure the survival of his colony at the cost of his life.

Overall, the anime didn't have the greatest start but that was one hell of a ride towards the end.
G_ExcelMar 31, 2021 9:12 PM
Apr 2, 2021 2:09 PM

Aug 2014
I think this might be still the best horror anime to this day that im writing this comment.

from the spooky town, spooky mystery, spooky background music, and that final arc. Maybe the only good horror anime up to date.

Only negative is that I just didnt see any point to introduce a Karma Demon. The anime should have just focus on the Ogre and not the Karma Demon. And I wasnt a big fan of the final 3 episodes of they going across the country and being in caves.

Another thing that bothered me is in the second arc: so the government saw that some of the Rats were building factories with weapons from the past from information they gathered.....AND THE GOVERNMENT DIDNT FIND THIS SUSPICIOUS!!!!???????

But a great anime. A true slow-burner. But never boring or dull, and to that I credit the spookiness of all.
oooo3333Apr 2, 2021 2:17 PM
Apr 26, 2021 12:42 PM

Jul 2019
That twist at the beginning was genius and the last two scenes were so emotional

9/10 for the anime
Jun 15, 2021 4:30 PM

Apr 2017
overrated turd...3/10. would be a 1/10 but:

1 point for kiroumaru and squealer
1 point for the only 2 OST's that play the entire anime but both were good
Aug 11, 2021 2:23 PM

Jun 2013
TheSusurrous said:
Easily a 10 out of 10! The best show I've watched in a long time now (really hoping for a translation of the novels so I can read them as well). Anyone who knows the name of that song in the ending scenes? I've tried to find it in the OST's but it's just not there.

Second movement of Dvorak's 'From the New World'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYl4Xb4cDQ8
It takes a while to get to the melody you hear in the show. [/quote]

I'm an old man...you just made me lose my sh*t.
I've always been haunted by the "Going home" music...
I should have recognized it but didn't...Dvorak...FFS
You have my thanks now pass the tissues please.
Stay Young and Watch Anime......el psy congroo
Aug 11, 2021 3:44 PM

Jun 2013
TheLoneBanshee said:
10/10

not even a MAL user but made an account just for the sake of commenting this.

RIP 2013.03.23 - 新世界より

The Author (Yusuke Kishi) is still alive, what are you saying?
Aug 11, 2021 3:49 PM

Jun 2013
It's an epic tale of humanity, one of my favorites but it's deeper than most people can fathom...

GX5000Aug 11, 2021 6:38 PM
Aug 20, 2021 6:44 PM

Mar 2021
I binged this anime in three days. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The series has quite a few plot holes that left me confused and unsatisfied at times; but ultimately, they did not spell the demise for my enjoyment.

I really wish certain things were talked about more too; particularly Tomiko Asahina's ability to regenerate her telomeres. I am uncertain why this interested me so; but at that point I really thought the series would go on longer in which Saki lives for centuries and is the head of the ethics committee and passes sweeping reforms regarding the board of education and treatment of the queerats. Then again, I doubt Saki was ever ambitious enough to do such a thing; and I doubt she cares enough about the queerats either (see how willingly she had Kiroumaru sacrifice himself).

That aside, the whole queerats vs. humans thing turned out super interesting. I am still unable to come to a conclusion on which side I wanted to win lol. Both sides were very horrible; the humans being super oppressive and seeing the queerats as barely living things was just awful. While the queerats were just longing for their survival, I found it hard to put myself fully behind them as well due to the atrocities they committed on that path. I cannot even say who I think was right or wrong or good or evil. It's kind of hard to justify the actions of either.

Queerats being part human was a big surprise as well.

I am disappointed that they did not explain more about how the events that took place affected the greater society of both species. Despite that, I am happy that Saki and Satoru were able to find happiness together even though they lost so much throughout their lives. I find Shinsekai Yori's society extremely interesting.

I loved the soundtrack too, particularly "Going Home" or Antonín Dvořák's "Symphony No. 9 "From the New World", Op. 95 - II. Largo." It's such a beautifully composed song. I really like Dvořák's music.

In short, this series exceeded my expectations and I thought it was excellent despite some plot holes along the way. Loved it.

It's somewhere between a 9 and 10 for me.
Zant-samaAug 20, 2021 6:53 PM
Sep 5, 2021 5:27 PM
Oct 2019
Despite its flaws, like I felt the first few eps were off to a rocky start, I really loved this story, especially after the last few eps, with all the cliffhangers that kept me coming for more, and the plot twists at the end, and the messages and depth behind it,I would give this anime a 9/10, really liked the story due to its uniqueness and mystery elements
Sep 5, 2021 5:37 PM
Oct 2019
Just wanted to add that I loved Saki, she was a great Mc, believable and realistic and I really rooted for her, I also liked Kiyomaru and Satoru over time, also the first ending theme by Risa Taneda is phenomenal, goes perfectly with the whole atmosphere and after those cliffhangers, one of my all time favorite ending themes
Sep 6, 2021 11:12 AM

Sep 2020
wtf did I just watch

Didn't get anything from episodde 1.
lul I'm a idiot.
Sep 25, 2021 4:15 AM
Jul 2020
Finally finished at can join the train "Squealer did nothing wrong".
Oct 6, 2021 10:28 AM

Feb 2020
That was a great last episode. The twist was predictable, but still impactful, and I have to say that for the little screentime he had, Squealer turned out to be a great character.

Now, how do I feel about this show ? Honestly it's hard to say. I loved a lot of things, like the atmosphere, the messages, the total lack of manicheism, the ost and the lore. That said, not everything was great. I found the narration to be very messy at times which made the story not as engaging as it could've been, and the characters, for most of them, were very forgettable which made it hard for me to feel invested. I still found Saki to be a good heroine (even if I don't think I'll remember her much) and as I said, Squealer was great (though he definitely would've deserved much more screentime for him to truly stand out, this last episode showed the amount of potential he really had as a character so it's a shame he spent so much time scheming off-screen). Kiromaru also was very good. But still, overall it was hard to truly care.

Which is why it's hard to say how I really feel about this show : on some parts I find it to be so much better than a lot of other shows, but on other parts it has flaws I didn't manage to ignore.
I hesitated a lot for the rating, but I guess I'm gonna go with 8. Usually shows I give this score to are those I could consider a favorite and I don't consider Shinsekai Yori as such for the reasons explained above, but it wouldn't deserve to be put on the same level as shows I gave a 7 to, so yes in the end I think 8 is the right score, even if the show didn't make the same impact on me as the others I gave this score to. It was still very good, and it did make an impact on me even if I was waiting for more.
FafetteOct 6, 2021 10:32 AM
Dec 18, 2021 8:56 PM

Mar 2020
yea this show is a 2 pack of ass
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Jan 9, 2022 10:22 AM

Nov 2018
Really decent job thematically, but pacing, structure and presentation were so-so at best. , More sci-fi leaning plot-based story with a decent amount of drama ends up being average at characterisation.

6.0/10 after ending

Edit: actually it's much deeper and thought-provoking when I thought, I can't stop requestioning everything looking from both perspectives.
Shinsekai deserves better than that.
6.5/10 and Squealer did nothing wrong
ZevvenJan 9, 2022 12:17 PM
I hate everyone equally
Jan 21, 2022 8:51 PM
Nov 2019
This is a show where you'll see how a story can uphold the quality of the show without any amazing/charming or pretentious characters. From the New World questions our society. Reflects the unseen part of humanity. A future with questionable outcome. First three arcs and their necessity in building up the story from 17th episodes onwards:
1. Introduction with Squeler
2. Shun as Karmic Demon
3. Maria and Mamoru incident
All three arcs are essential for explanation, interconnection and progression of the story. These 3 incidents are interconnecting and that is the reason the show is great from 17th episode onwards:
1. 1st arc was necessary for Sequeler's introduction, showcasing his nature as a character and world building of the series.
2. 2nd arc was important as it shows the concept of "Karmic Demon"
Yes it was explained later in the 3rd arc also. However it was necessary to showcase the bonding between Saki and Shun which was inevitable to counter the plot convenience of Shun talking to Saki near the end of the series. Also they questioned their world more because of Shun's disappearance which led to the 3rd arc.
3. This is basically the interconnecting arc that connected previous two arcs with the 4th one.
That's why this show is a methodically developed psychological anime.

■ To answer some common questions:
>1Q: Unanswered plot point like: After the monk died they were all still paranoid even though at that moment they did not know they are monitored by the committee somehow which was not explained how they do it other than speculation by the main characters.

Ans: The whole show was presented in one way viewers perspective. We got to see the MC's perspective. Never got to see how antagonist do things exactly like MONSTER. It's a way of storytelling. What MC doesn't know, we won't know either. It helps in creating the atmosphere.

>2Q: How the rats were able to make the MC's 2 friends have intercourse and make them have a baby. They would need time to develop that kind of relationship.

Ans: They had feelings for each other hinted multiple times. They had baby only then monster rats killed them in cheeky manner to obtain the baby. Because of one sided viewers perspective it was never shown.

>3Q: When the four-eyed guy was fighting the kid he knew he can't win against the 11 year old who was not trained to control her power, DEATH OF SHAME does not make him unable to attack humans but gives him a painful death when he does. Why not take the L for humanity since you can't beat the 11-year-old kid.

Ans: He didn't sacrifice himself because he was the strongest, took pride in it and was arrogant enough to think he can defeat that kid by himself. They never faced an actual Oger in the real life. Never had any mentality to sacrifice from the beginning. Speaking of doing things, X can do Y is never a plot hole until there's an inconsistency in the behaviour. For examples, Father from FMAB could've easily captured Elric bothers with his strong power until the sacrifice day instead of letting them roam around the country. Ace from One Piece could've taken Luffy and run away instead of sacrificing himself. Bisky from HunterxHunter could've easily fought Bomber instead of sending relatively weaker Gon to face him in Greedman Island arc. It doesn't define the quality of a narrative. It just didn't happen that's all. Also nowhere in the show was hinted that four eyes had sacrificing mentality.

>4Q: When the MC was in Tokyo underwater, she was in a pinch and didn't know what she should do. Then Shun conveniently comes back from the dead to give her guidence.

Ans: It's already explained in the 2nd point of 3rd part. Karmic Demons can effect their surrounding to a level beyond imagination which was portrayed many times in the show. They leave many impressions even after their death. 2nd arc was literally dedicated to explain that. That was the reason they potrayed Shun's interaction with Saki and made him Karmic Demon. They dedicated a whole arc to explain that plot convenience. Shun's interaction with Saki as Karmic Demon left something within Saki which guided her. Btw Shun never came back from dead.

>5Q: It was odd how two homosexual people suddenly became straight.

I would say that they were rather bisexual. There wasn't anywhere mentioned that they were homosexual in talking library's conversation. Rather it just mentioned that they develop early sexual desires (can be any gender) to cope up with the stress.

>6Q: The girl being so strong is unrealistic. If it was shun+redhead's child I would be convinced that the girl is this strong. To top it off she was not trained to control her power yet she can do much more than the people in the village who are literally taught how to use their power since they are infants.

Ans: That's basically the difference between someone chained with something vs someone having the freedom to do anything. She can go all out without ever needing any precise control. And the villagers didn't know that she actually wasn't an Oger. The fear of Oger in history took over their rational thinking capacity. I bet they could've restricted the girl if they worked together. But the fear of Oger and technological side ambush by monster rats kept them in the state of panic. Not to mention the early defeat and death of their strongest warrior broke their mental psyche.

>7Q: The sexual scenes were unnecessary

Ans: Uncomfortable? Yes. Unnecessary? That's debatable. In order to create peaceful society, one of the steps taken was to mix bonobo DNA into human DNA. The idea is that the bonobos largely avoid violent conflict through promiscuous behaviour (well debated theory in real life) Basically sex is used to defuse conflict and deal with stress which is a necessity for a society with powerful abilities where conflict and stress could end the world.
Jan 30, 2022 11:12 PM

Feb 2013
Esmera said:
Just finished binging through the 25 episodes in three days and wow, this anime totally went in a different direction than I thought. I'm slightly annoyed at how readily Saki was wiling to sacrifice Kiroumaru when she selfishly destroyed the psychobuster cause she didn't want Satoru to die. It makes sense and it cements the idea of how selfish humans are, but still. The big reveal of queerats technically being humans was chilling, although I've always suspected it. I could empathize with Squealer, although of course his way of doing things wasn't morally right. But I'd say his actions were pretty justified and he's honestly the best character in this show for me.

Overall I'd say I liked it. It definitely had a slow start like many people say, but it really started to kick off at episode 12 for me when the backstory of fiends was explained. My main problems were in the characters and the limited use of cantus. I did not like any of the main characters, including Saki. She didn't have a very interesting personality and it felt like she didn't do much, considering how we were always following her POV. She rarely uses her cantus well, isn't very intelligent, often listens to other people's plans without much thought/skepticism, and always has to count on someone else to save her (Satoru, Kiroumaru, Tomiko, Inui, etc.). Seriously, why was she chosen to succeed Tomiko? Yeah sure, she's brave and her mental stability is great but other than that...eh. I liked her decision to finally let Squealer die at least. The other characters weren't really fleshed out well either; there were too many time skips and I couldn't care less when Shun, Maria, Mamoru died.

But otherwise, I really liked the story; the worldbuilding and portrayal of gray morality were particularly brilliant. The utopia/dystopia setting and Squealer definitely carried this whole show for me. Pretty similar to Psycho Pass with Makishima, although I liked the main characters in that show at least. Ultimately I'd give it a 8/10, might slightly increase or decrease as time goes on as I let what I just watched fully sink in.
Edit: So it's been several days and I've decided to bump the score up to a 8.5/10 and rate the anime a 9 overall, cause the setting/world-building and portrayal of gray human morality is truly phenomenal and one of the best imo. If anyone has bothered to read this far, please feel free to recommend me any more anime with those qualities cause I'm dying to know.

I just finished this too and have the same thoughts, lol x) I think I have an answer to why Saki was still chosen to be the next leader. The fact that she let Squealer have a merciful death is the biggest clue, she is possibly the only one in the entire village that would have done that for him. Even though she isn't powerful or intelligent, she has her own strength in her emotions. She's able to sympathize with him even after all this time. I believe the previous leader was right in saying that's the most important quality of a leader, which Saki proves she has.

Such a great character the more I think about her, I was annoyed too by how "useless" she was lol. But then I realized if you had leaders based on power, you'd just have PK users enslaving again. And if you have leaders based on intelligence, you just have Squealers as rulers lol, which is pretty bad because he will sacrifice everybody if he think's it's "worth it". Only with Saki do you get someone that leads with sympathy. Whether or not people agree with the idea, it's still a beautiful premise. It's made me change my view on things as well in life, and I think that speaks a lot about the great writing.

I gave this anime an 8/10, but after reading this post I've bumped it up to a 9/10 as well. Let me know if you have any anime rec's after seeing this lol, the best thing I have close to this is Land of the Lustrous, Mushishi, and the video game, Nier: Automata
✈️
Feb 9, 2022 4:00 PM
Nov 2020
Honestly this was way better than I expected, I thought it would be like a 4 or 5 but after watching the whole thing and actually understanding it , its very good iMO.
Mar 30, 2022 6:47 PM

Apr 2016
After 3rd watch, I'd have to say that while Squealer's revolt was more or less understandable given what his "species" had gone through, in the end, it's just men repeating the same mistakes again.

To clarify, assuming that Squealer had achieved total domination over the entire world, there'd always be some traces of this conflict left, and somebody in their self-inflicted righteousness would rise up and cause another storm again. Squealer's mindset was basically, "you hit me one time, I pay back tenfold", and this kind of thinking is what exactly had sown the seeds for violence and war in the human race for god knows how many years. Maybe human race would have been destroyed, but it is also likely that another rebellion from among the Queerat's rank could have arisen, orchestrated by the crafty Kikoumaru perhaps.

That's not to defend the Cantus user's side either, what they did to pre-Queerat race was equally fucked as human beings but this is just a fantasy story so I guess it's pretty interesting to see a story going this far to expose the potentially most negative side of human and such, on top of sending a message that "conflict" will always be there to accompany living things no matter how hard you try to deflect it.

Pages (27) « First ... « 24 25 [26] 27 »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2012

363 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 9:30 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 12, 2012

280 by fathandz »»
Feb 15, 4:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.