Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 20, 2014 1:38 PM

Jul 2009
I need new music to listen to and I want more progressive music. Things similar to these artists would be great

Haken
Opeth
The Morningside
Dir en Grey

Heavier stuff like Between the Buried and Me is fine too :)
Mar 20, 2014 1:41 PM

Jan 2014
Mar 20, 2014 1:48 PM

Oct 2013
Symphony X
Dream Theater
Queensryche

I only have listened to those bands and love them, not a big fan of the Genre.
Mar 20, 2014 2:03 PM

Jul 2009
Lachan92 said:
Gojira? Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HkOk6FlD0U

Or Grails, but they're a bit weirder. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GflC3xmtLTk&noredirect=1

Gojira I found a little boring, maybe it was just the song choice, I'll listen to some more later.
Grails were interesting though, I liked the slow progressions - very mellow :)

dblbch said:
Symphony X
Dream Theater
Queensryche

I only have listened to those bands and love them, not a big fan of the Genre.

I never really took any time to listen to Dream Theater, but I just listened to "Sacrificed Sons" and it's great!
Symphony X will be good the next time I'm in the mood for powermetal. I couldn't quite get into Queensryche though, I think it sounded a little too 80's for me.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I appreciate it :)
Mar 20, 2014 3:11 PM

Oct 2013
Tool
Liquid Tension Experiment
God Is an Astrounat
Explosions in the Sky
Buckethead (some albums, especially Population Override and Look Up There)
Porcupine Tree
King Crimson
World's End Girlfriend
Mogwai
Therion

Annihlator's Alice in Hell and Metallica's ...And Justice for All are thrash metal with a bit of progressive
Mar 20, 2014 3:17 PM

Feb 2014
mastodon
protest the hero
Zero Suit Samus/ Meta Knight
M2k
DBZ
Mar 20, 2014 5:45 PM

Nov 2011
Uhhh here I am thinking I found a nice thread for good music and you all name mostly the crappy bands of the genre.
Mar 20, 2014 8:18 PM

Jul 2012
Try tastekid.com
Mar 20, 2014 8:21 PM

Aug 2009
The Faceless. Their latest album, Autotheism, is very reminiscent of Opeth and Devin Townsend.

Mar 20, 2014 11:31 PM

Sep 2012
elfenliedXsis said:
protest the hero

Seconded.
Also, check out The Human Abstract.
Mar 20, 2014 11:47 PM

Nov 2013
UnoPuntoCinco said:
Therion

Therion is pretty cool (The album Vovin is a masterpiece), but I wouldn't say it's progressive...

More like symphonic/gothic metal. Doom/death metal for the very first albums.
/人 ‿‿ 人\
Mar 22, 2014 4:24 PM

Jun 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzB9XCrwvMk

One of my favorite songs recently by a really amazing band. I love pretty much all their songs, besides the strange experimental noises >.>
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Aug 21, 2014 12:30 PM

Apr 2014
You can also try Fusion-metal (Jazz fusion + metal).

Some bands:

7 for 4
Cynic
Focus
Planet X

The feel is similar, although the artistic focus is more of a technical and instrumental one. Try them out!
Aug 21, 2014 3:06 PM

Dec 2013
Listen to Galneryus bro. Prog-power from Japan.
Another great band is Light Bringer but it's a bit less proggy.
Aug 21, 2014 5:09 PM
Jul 2018
Dude, you should check out this band called Black Veil Brides, they're pretty progressive...

Just kidding, please don't kill me. Here's some stuff I personally enjoy in the genre:

After The Burial
Born Of Osiris
Veil Of Maya
Elitist
Glass Cloud
Erra
Aug 22, 2014 12:13 AM

Apr 2014
Haken is pretty good. You should go more in that direction when it comes to prog metal. You seem to like the classic, melodic style best.

Vanden Plas
Shadow Gallery
Eldritch
Riverside
Voyager

Rock:

King Crimson
Genesis
Renaissance
Camel
IQ
Porcupine Tree
The Flower Kings
Aug 22, 2014 1:19 AM

Oct 2013
OP probably doesn't even look at this thread anymore, but my recommendations are:

- Orphaned Land: Pretty much the best band of all time... for two records. Mabool and The Never Ending Way of ORwarriOR are pretty much the best albums ever. This is as good as prog gets. However, it's just as much Middle-Eastern folk metal as it is prog metal; so this isn't for if you're looking for standard rate prog. The best prog usually fuses other genres with it, though. I recommend checking out the songs "From Broken Vessels," "The Path Part 1: The Pilgrimage to Or Shalem," and "Birth of the Three (The Unification)."

-Voyager: One of the most criminally unknown bands out there, honestly. They're really complex but at the same time incredibly catchy. They mix standard prog metal with synth pop sensibility and it always turns out amazing. Their best album is I Am the reVolution, but their newest one, V, comes pretty dang close. I'd recommend checking out the songs "Breaking Down," "The Devil in Me," and "To the Morning Light."

Easily two of my favorite bands and ones that deserve the most attention, IMO. But I'd also recommend Anubis Gate, and, as mentioned, Protest the Hero.

Sigh is also an amazing band, but not prog metal focused. I'd say they're very progressive on some albums, but the focus is on the avant-garde/black metal side. Amorphis is a standard pick, but not prog in the traditional "Dream Theater wankery" sense. Vintersorg's middle albums are some of the best of the genre - namely Cosmic Genesis and Visions from the Spiral Generator.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Aug 22, 2014 2:12 AM

Feb 2014
Soen
Porcupine Tree
Riverside
Leprous
Anathema
Storm Corrosion
Aug 27, 2014 10:09 AM

Jun 2009
Metal: vanden plas, theocracy, threshold, sigh, seventh wonder, pervy perkin, hammers of misfortune, symphony x, pain of salvation, angra, canvas solaris, myrath, and anything by devin townsend.

Rock: birds and buildings, the flower kings, a.c.t., it bites, magma, eloy, nektar, gentle giant, jade warrior, spock's beard (mainly neal morse era SB along with morse's solo albums), tiles, beardfish, enchant, the alan parsons project, uriah heep, manfred mann's earth band, focus, lucifer was, pendragon, big big train, and black bonzo.

A bit lengthy, but hope this helps.
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta
Aug 28, 2014 12:26 AM

Apr 2014
Kaeis said:
and then theres nightwish and rammstein... hmmmm

You'll find actually that, no, there is not.
Aug 28, 2014 5:44 PM

Jul 2014
Between The Buried And Me
Agalloch (not really progressive, but if you like Opeth, you might like them)
Sep 9, 2014 4:15 AM
Oct 2013
mastodon, baroness, kylesa, coheed and cambria
Sep 10, 2014 12:13 PM

Mar 2014
+1 for Orphaned Land.

Also try "Altered State" album by TesseracT.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Sep 10, 2014 12:50 PM

Sep 2014
Sea of Treachery https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C_3I9avUjU

Moonspell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bd771G7sYs

Gojira https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1mz0VDlebM

Parkway Drive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cw01RHY-7

Vanna https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlrNnN8kkxg

Those are bands that I can think of that are semi-close that I like. I'm not as big on metal as I used to be.
DiabloCallingSep 10, 2014 12:53 PM

See more on Know Your Meme
Sep 11, 2014 6:29 AM
Sep 2012
Corelia - The Sound of Glaciers Moving or just Corelia in general
http://youtu.be/fqOKYOhUYx0
so fucken good
Sep 11, 2014 8:45 AM

Jan 2013
Dream Theater in my opinion is one of the best progressive metal bands ever.
Also Symphony X. For progressive rock I would say Muse

Sep 11, 2014 9:58 AM

May 2013
I've been rather found of this Japanese band lately. They call themselves SiM. They sing in mostly English though they do alternate in some songs. The drummer is decent, the guitarist is kinda average, and they're bassist and singer are pretty above average in my opinion. I've learned a few of their songs on bass and I'll link you one of their videos behind the spoiler tag. Hope you dig it brah.

Sep 11, 2014 10:09 AM
Jul 2014
+11 King Crimson
Pink Floyd (obvious)
System of a Down
Sep 11, 2014 11:43 PM

Apr 2014
^ How is System of a Down prog
Sep 12, 2014 12:01 AM

Nov 2013
Altairius said:
^ How is System of a Down prog

Indeed... They have a couple songs with some prog elements, but that's it.
/人 ‿‿ 人\
Sep 12, 2014 1:02 AM

Apr 2014
Barely even that. Aerials is the closest I guess but being 'dynamic' doesn't cut it.

I've always found it bizarre what some people call prog. All it takes is a simple look at the definitions of these styles or just look at SOAD's page on rateyourmusic or whatever.
Sep 12, 2014 1:15 AM

Nov 2013
"Mind" is kinda progressive if I remember right.
/人 ‿‿ 人\
Sep 13, 2014 11:24 AM

Apr 2014
I'm here to recommend "Tesseract".

This might be your typical "Djent" band, but they use a lot of musical resources that make them really rich and inspiring. They often even (timidly) use some Post-rock elements, adding some ethereal and atmospheric feel to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Bk8EDD_xI
Sep 14, 2014 1:03 AM

Sep 2014
elfenliedXsis said:
protest the hero
Protest the Hero's dope. You should give Art By Numbers a listen.

My personal prog favorites would have to be The Dear Hunter and Thank You Scientist.

but if you like Haken maybe try Children of Nova OP
Sep 14, 2014 4:38 AM

Oct 2013
Kslate23 said:
I've been rather found of this Japanese band lately. They call themselves SiM. They sing in mostly English though they do alternate in some songs. The drummer is decent, the guitarist is kinda average, and they're bassist and singer are pretty above average in my opinion. I've learned a few of their songs on bass and I'll link you one of their videos behind the spoiler tag. Hope you dig it brah.

Are "decent" and "average" descriptors one really should rely on when trying to get someone to check something out?

RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 14, 2014 12:47 PM

Oct 2013
That's a great list man, but Alcest and Swallow the Sun aren't prog. Neither are Agalloch or Ulver.

1. Post-metal is just another term for atmospheric sludge metal, which is not a sub genre of prog and sounds nothing like prog.
2. Agalloch and early Ulver aren't even post-metal, they're atmospheric black metal. Well, I prefer to call Agalloch "dark folk metal" since they sound like a metalized dark folk or neofolk.

I, personally, think Agalloch is really mediocre, too, but that's besides the point I guess.

RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 14, 2014 1:07 PM
Apr 2013
great list gandhi, I'm gonna check those I don't know out!
Sep 14, 2014 11:46 PM
Aug 2013
ash ra tempel - ash ra tempel 1971
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTZeaAIDvTo
Sep 15, 2014 1:43 AM
Oct 2012
Theocracy is a good Progressive Metal (and Power Metal) band.
Sep 15, 2014 12:12 PM

Oct 2013
GandhiLion said:
Alcest are post-metal.

Alcest are blackgaze (though their latest album is straight up shoegaze, with all metal elements removed), and blackgaze/shoegaze has nothing to do with prog even slightly, lol.

GandhiLion said:
Post- metal is not another term for atmospheric sludge metal, it is the other way round. Read this and pay attention to the "Criticism of the term" section. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-metal

I don't disagree that post-metal is a genre; just that it has nothing to do with prog. There are post-metal bands that have influences of prog, but that's not the same thing as post being prog. The Ocean is a good example of a post-metal band that has a lot of prog influences.

Post-metal is just a heavier version of post-rock, which sounds nothing like prog rock. I mean, you can't say a band like Godspeed You! Black Emperor sounds like Yes, Transatlantic, or the latest Opeth album.

Also, post-metal and atmospheric metal are NOT the same thing. That's besides the point, but that wiki page says post-metal is sometimes referred to as atmospheric metal although that is quite wrong. Post-metal attempts to use distorted guitars, drums, etc to create an ambient-like wall of sound, whereas atmospheric metal just refers to an overall vibe. But there are very few atmospheric metal bands; most are atmospheric rock, like Anathema and the ilk (who are not post-rock).

GandhiLion said:
Agolloch are blackened atmospheric doomy folk metal and post metal/experimental.

All those terms overcomplicate things, IMO. What you basically described is "dark folk metal," along with atmospheric black metal.

inb4 "who cares about labeling things, just enjoy the music"

RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 29, 2014 11:49 AM
Jul 2018
If you like Opeth,You probaby will like oddland!

More topics from this board

» godzilla minus one is one of the best sci-fi movie ever made!!11!!1

FruitPunchBaka - Today

2 by LightWorker »»
3 hours ago

» Post songs that you are addicted to right now

tsukareru - Apr 26

31 by scarydragon »»
3 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7645 by Maumuu »»
3 hours ago

» J Cole vs Kendrick Lamar

Cammell - Apr 5

41 by HopiumAddict »»
4 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3413 by k00lmagn3t »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.