Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 9, 2009 10:23 PM

Jun 2009
I know, I know. Dub haters rule the anime world. But, I was just wondering what everyone thought.

Do you think it'll get over to North America and get dubbed?

Personally, I love the Japanese voices for this. I am curious how it would sound over here, since this is the first anime that I've ever watched subbed before dubbed.

Also, if it does get dubbed, which company do you think will get it and who do you think will play whom?
Aug 4, 2009 4:11 PM

Aug 2008
Quick answer: No

It doesn't nearly have the popularity compared to other Manglobe productions. Plus the show really isn't great. I can't see this getting liscensed.

However if dragonaut got liscensed then I suppose anything is possible
The Cart Driver <-- My awesome anime blog
Aug 11, 2009 7:34 AM

Jul 2008
if this show deserve a dubb version, it should be in Portuguese from Brazil, where the show is passed
Jan 3, 2010 12:15 AM
Jul 2018
Well, Now and Then, Here and There got dubbed after three years, and it's comparable in popularity.

So, I think yes, eventually.

Also, MediaFactory has been taking down all the YouTube videos... not sure what that means in terms of licensing because I don't know whether MediaFactory distributes in the U.S. It doesn't look like they do.

In terms of who plays who, I have no idea.

The series is sort of weird because it's sort of stuck in the middle of a lot of things. It's continuous, but really episodic at heart (this is the source of most complaints about plot). Its PV seems to market it as sort of an action series, but it's not really the focus (thus, complaints about action). It features mostly female characters, but it's not a shoujo anime (i.e. not targeted specifically toward women) nor a "girls with guns" anime (like Noir, targeted toward men). I think as a result it's sort of in between a lot of genres, and I don't think it was marketed all that well either. However, I think this is one of the best series to come out lately. It's definitely unique in its style (people liken it to Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo, and I can see the influence, but it's definitely distinct from them. People also compare it to El Cazador de la Bruja, which is laughable). It has a really natural feel to it; it blends its comedy, drama, characterization, dialogue and plot elements all very well. In particular, the comedy is not forced at all: they don't try to force you to laugh (namely in comparison to Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, where every time they make a lame joke they do the weird-Ed-and-Al faces), so it's not awkward if you don't (after all humor is very subjective). I actually think this is one of the biggest problems in anime (and I suppose TV in general); a lot of the time things just don't seem natural. It also boasts great music and a very rich setting. I also like how they did the ending; it wasn't overdone emotionally so as to make it hokey (one brief shot of Michiko and Hatchin and that was it) yet it still ended on a happy note, and it also ended fairly realistically. (One good series in particular I thought was a bit soiled by its ending was Baccano, where they dwelled too long on people just being happy). So, I do hope that it gets a U.S. release (I would certainly buy the DVD... or Bluray if I have one by then).
removed-userJan 3, 2010 1:07 AM
Jun 17, 2010 9:22 PM

Jul 2008
I have a feeling there's some reason it's not licensed. Maybe it has something to do with the music or something, because this is clearly an anime with a western mindset.
Feb 5, 2011 10:56 PM

Aug 2010
I hope it doesn't. Last thing we need is another awkward sounding, terrible dub.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Michiko to Hatchin Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

windy - Mar 22, 2009

242 by Perrin4869 »»
May 14, 8:50 AM

Poll: » Michiko to Hatchin Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

simo000 - Mar 14, 2009

56 by Perrin4869 »»
May 13, 5:03 AM

Poll: » Michiko to Hatchin Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

angel999 - Nov 12, 2008

104 by prozyne »»
Jan 30, 8:41 PM

Poll: » Michiko to Hatchin Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Oct 29, 2008

82 by prozyne »»
Jan 28, 5:38 AM

» music in this series

abyss_will - Jan 20, 2019

5 by abyss_will »»
Jan 22, 11:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.