Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 25, 2007 8:48 AM
Jul 2018
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
sweeeet, Triad released 12.

about ep 12:
I loved the soundtrack on this one as well.
And yeah.......had to see 'that' one coming, eh? Rich people are twisted and evil.
Dec 25, 2007 9:36 AM
Mar 2007
Not an amazing episode, but I want the next one really badly.
Especially because of what the narrator said in the end.
Dec 25, 2007 9:48 AM

Jul 2007
The bridge to get to the money was kinda obvious. The electricity on the bridge is evil.

Now i wonder what's gonna happen when they get on the other side of the bridge, i doubt the money will just be there waiting for them. Then there's the whole going back down the building, where they'll have to get across the bridge a second time, or find another way down.

It was definitely a good episode, can't wait for more.
Dec 25, 2007 10:51 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
"Lol BBQ?" is what I thought when I imagined someone getting grilled on the bridge.

An okay episode, I guess.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Dec 25, 2007 11:21 AM

Sep 2007
Another sick and twisted challenge for Kaiji coming up, can't wait. I'm interested to see how they group up together, or most likely screw Kaiji over.

Did you know there's a Phantasy Star Club?
Dec 25, 2007 1:16 PM

Nov 2007
This arc is really sick. Rich bastards... of course they would not give the money unless they were risking their lives.

It is very intersting to see how Sahara is breaking down. The psychology is what really keeps me addicted to this series. I can't wait for more of this arc.

(Also, did schoolboy Kaiji being beat up make anyone else feel sorry for him? ;_;)
Dec 25, 2007 2:27 PM
Oct 2007
Wow, next episode looks intense!
Dec 25, 2007 2:36 PM

Dec 2007
So.. who wants to bet what "interesting" surprise awaits Kaiji and the others next? :]

I wonder what happened in the last bout, where only one survivor comes from. Am I the only one who smells something fishy there...
Dec 25, 2007 2:46 PM
Jun 2007
Now it's even more dangerous! :O
Dec 25, 2007 6:06 PM

Jun 2007
The next ep title, "Monster", makes me think of another very psychological show, although I doubt Johan will show up. Hope the shadowy villain is at the other end of the bridge.

Also, I'm definitely beginning to see similarities between Kaiji and Gantz. They both have the aspects of people whose one chance of survival is to live through a snake pit. Kaiji's definitely beginning to resemble Kurono, being reckless and leading the debtors with his combination of charisma and morals.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Dec 25, 2007 11:01 PM

Feb 2007
Interesting episode. Another bridge...

I can't wait for the next episode. It's gonna have death, that's for sure. 0_0
Dec 26, 2007 6:36 AM

Aug 2007
Just what the hell happened, only one survivor from the last one?
Dec 26, 2007 6:48 AM
Dec 2007
I predict that someone has to cross the bridge from the other side as well and gets money, if they make it across. so it's a hidden challenge once more and kaiji has to kill in order to survive.
Dec 26, 2007 6:51 PM

May 2007
too much awesomeness o:
Dec 26, 2007 8:53 PM

Oct 2007
Wow, this episode really shattered my nerves. I can't believe the stuff they are making these people do and the horrors that this show continues to reveal about human society is really quite something.

I can't believe this show isn't getting more attention as it easily in a class by itself for the year. The way this show shows the horrible sides of the human soul are truly astounding, and then it goes to show how unselfish the human soul can be when Kaiji screws himself over to save others (giving up all his stars and money on the boat and then giving up his chance at a ticket when he chose not to push the guy in front of him)

This is the most well written and most well directed show of the year and I feel it's really in a class all by itself for the year of 2007.

Kaiji transcends what anime is supposed to be.
Dec 27, 2007 6:37 AM

Jun 2007
Damn I'm loving this series. Characters like Kaiji are so... real oO Its so incredible to see him dealing with the crap he he encounters!

Brilliant as usual! Any chance of seeing a OST soon?

Dec 27, 2007 6:38 AM

Apr 2007
God, I'd kill for the OST. The music in this series is so awesome.

Looks like Nipponsei has it down for January 23rd.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 27, 2007 6:47 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
I'd be happy if I could find the OP somewhere.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Dec 28, 2007 8:52 AM

Aug 2007
Amazing episode. Although i foresaw the second bridge i didn't foresaw the conditions and sorts. And the last sentence of the narrator left me shaking... Damn this is intense.
Dec 28, 2007 8:27 PM

Oct 2007
DigimonTamer said:

I can't believe this show isn't getting more attention as it easily in a class by itself for the year. The way this show shows the horrible sides of the human soul are truly astounding, and then it goes to show how unselfish the human soul can be when Kaiji screws himself over to save others (giving up all his stars and money on the boat and then giving up his chance at a ticket when he chose not to push the guy in front of him)

This is the most well written and most well directed show of the year and I feel it's really in a class all by itself for the year of 2007.

Glad to see others getting into this type of show.

Yeah Kaiji is a VERY underated show, it's because people generally tend to judge a book by it's cover - take one look at Kaiji, go "god why are the noses so pointy?" and never watch the show again..

I don't really care, they're the ones missing out

It's interesting to note however this trend in ignoring kaiji only happens in the west it seems. In Japan and Korea it is a very different story, Kaiji, and Akagi before that get about double the ratings (averaging about 3-3.5%) compared to other shows seemingly popular on these boards like Minami-ke, ef-tale of memories, bamboo blade, clannad, which all average 1.5-2%.

I think Akagi once posted 4.5% towards the end of its run, which is fucking insane when you think about it - Naruto, a long running, well-loved series only averages about 5.5%, and that plays at 7:30pm on a Thursday night! Kaiji and Akagi play(ed) at like 1:30 on a Wednesday morning!!

I guess this is partly due to the fact that the manga itself has been very well-received in Japan and Korea. I might be wrong here, but I believe that Kaiji is the only anime airing this season that is based on an award-winning manga. There is a reason why, the manga is fucking awesome!

Me personally? I love the anime for many of the reasons you said.. If you think about it, it's not really a gambling story at all, rather it uses gambling to show human nature and this is what keeps drawing me back for more.

And I think that it's refreshing to have at least one show in the autumn lineup that is original, i.e. not a generic high school girl harlem comedy romp or yet another robot battle anime.
bigjigDec 28, 2007 8:34 PM
Dec 29, 2007 12:52 PM

Sep 2007
Good episode again. Damn it, what I've said and thought will happen (crossing on a high floor building) is already happening

The ost rocks !
Mar 26, 2008 1:07 AM

Feb 2008
Pretty good episode.
The 2nd bridge crossing was kind of predictable (I was expecting either that, or they would have to climb the hotel to get to the room).
Feb 5, 2009 3:40 PM

Jun 2008
This is just horrible.
May 2, 2009 8:43 AM

Oct 2008
I also thought that they would have to climb up the hotel or something in order to get the money. But this is something just as horrible. And this series truly shows the worst aspects of society and humanity.
May 3, 2009 10:18 AM

May 2008
bigjig said:
DigimonTamer said:

Glad to see others getting into this type of show.

Yeah Kaiji is a VERY underated show, it's because people generally tend to judge a book by it's cover - take one look at Kaiji, go "god why are the noses so pointy?" and never watch the show again..

I don't really care, they're the ones missing out

It's interesting to note however this trend in ignoring kaiji only happens in the west it seems. In Japan and Korea it is a very different story, Kaiji, and Akagi before that get about double the ratings (averaging about 3-3.5%) compared to other shows seemingly popular on these boards like Minami-ke, ef-tale of memories, bamboo blade, clannad, which all average 1.5-2%.

I think Akagi once posted 4.5% towards the end of its run, which is fucking insane when you think about it - Naruto, a long running, well-loved series only averages about 5.5%, and that plays at 7:30pm on a Thursday night! Kaiji and Akagi play(ed) at like 1:30 on a Wednesday morning!!

I guess this is partly due to the fact that the manga itself has been very well-received in Japan and Korea. I might be wrong here, but I believe that Kaiji is the only anime airing this season that is based on an award-winning manga. There is a reason why, the manga is fucking awesome!

Me personally? I love the anime for many of the reasons you said.. If you think about it, it's not really a gambling story at all, rather it uses gambling to show human nature and this is what keeps drawing me back for more.

And I think that it's refreshing to have at least one show in the autumn lineup that is original, i.e. not a generic high school girl harlem comedy romp or yet another robot battle anime.

well said.
May 24, 2009 2:45 AM
Apr 2009
That electricity condition is so messed up. Rich bastards think they can play with people's lives. Unfortunately, they do have the power in this situation.
Jun 22, 2009 4:28 PM
Apr 2007
Bladecatcher said:
That electricity condition is so messed up. Rich bastards think they can play with people's lives. Unfortunately, they do have the power in this situation.

I see what you did there. It was definitely a good episode, though. Love the suspense!
Oct 17, 2009 10:29 AM

Feb 2009
All that guy said is true except for the part that money worth more than life.

One thing I came to understand is that Kaiji to come back for a second game didn't learn his lesson.

This is stupid $10 million doesn't worth my life. I would rather work until I die!
Dec 13, 2009 5:01 PM

Apr 2009
MaxCrazy7 said:
This is stupid $10 million doesn't worth my life. I would rather work until I die!
Wasn't that in yen? Aka about $110 thousand?
Anyway a good episode again.
Dec 20, 2009 3:05 PM
Oct 2009
what?! not a competition?! thats not fun....
Mar 31, 2010 7:17 AM
Jan 2010
The last song while sahara was thinking was pure gold.
Apr 12, 2010 10:43 AM

May 2009
Hole S**t are those guys outta their minds

Die or get rich hmmm
Oct 18, 2011 10:00 PM

Jun 2008
Fucking CRAZY if you ask me....

What is the "prize".....10 - 20 million YEN

In other words only about $130,000 - $260,000!!!

FUCK NO!

My life is worth a lot more than $130,000
Oct 30, 2011 7:18 PM

Oct 2011
I wouldn't cross the bridge the first time, let alone the second! Damn, the black suits and Tonegawa are crazy!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 26, 2011 7:53 PM

Oct 2008
Call me a coward, but I wouldn't cross the bridge if they offered me one billion dollars. I can't put a dollar amount on my life.

Sep 26, 2012 7:59 PM

Mar 2012
This brings a new spin to the saying "Get rich or die trying."
Jun 26, 2014 3:04 PM

Jun 2012
Thats pretty fucked up. Im afraid of heights but if there was a safety net I might do it, but like I said in an earlier episode discussion only for 20 million dollars, not yen.

Im really lovin the psychological aspect of this show. Especially Kaiji's struggle debating if he should push or not. It makes me think would I actually push someone? Who knows? I certainly dont. I would like to believe I wouldnt but 20 million dollars is a lot of money. Another good part was when Tonegawa was explaining how long takes and how hard it is to acquire 20 million yen. I already knew this, but just hearing it out of someone else's mouth really hit home.
Mar 31, 2015 4:50 PM

Jun 2013
I loved the monologues, and the message was sent but the game was not so much. It's flawed and not believable. What's the point of winning the golden ticket in the first game? Also, the next game's not worth the risk, any sane man would back off and there's no guarantee you'll get the money even if you make it to the other side.
May 6, 2015 12:43 AM
Nov 2014
Good episode,very dangerous game in next episode. I don't think any man would take it but Kaiji :P
May 7, 2015 11:03 AM

Jun 2014
I rather cross this high one than the low one. I would fall for 3 or more seconds and die instantly. I rather die than live a crippled life.

Oct 22, 2015 7:21 PM

Aug 2013
Wow, that's not even sadism anymore. That's just pure evil. I just hope someone goes crazy and push him down the building. On the other hand, he's such a sweet vilain.

Kaiji left one possiblity open, and it will probably cost the life of some of them. Sure, it isn't a competition anymore. That doesn't mean that they don't get anything by acting against each other. Their are convertible. If someone was to get them all, he'd win the ultimate jackpot. Is someone in that group willing to kill someone else for a massive amount of money? That's what I'm wondering...
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Nov 23, 2015 9:16 PM

Jul 2013
this is sick man, human lives are nothing anymore
Dec 5, 2015 8:02 AM

Jan 2013
Im speechless. its interesting, to say the least, to see what people are willing to do for money.

money is really the worst and best invention ever
Feb 25, 2016 8:25 PM

Mar 2012
The people hosting these events are so twisted >_>
Oct 4, 2016 9:50 PM

Sep 2014
Imagine if multiple people fall and the cops declare it a mass "suicide".
Jul 28, 2017 2:13 AM

Dec 2015
This is more survival than gambling, not bad.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Aug 23, 2017 11:47 PM
Jul 2018
There's just something about the villains in this series that makes me hate them to death.
Sure, they don't have insane over the top cringe faces like Akame ga Kill.
Sure, they don't torture and commit genocide on a whim.
Sure, they don't laugh like maniacs.
But the way they take advantage of how desperate people are, the way they put money above humans...it just feels, how do I put it, real.
Aug 30, 2017 9:31 AM

May 2016
The music that played during Kaiji's monologue about how cruel the world works was just beautiful. The OST has a certain somber Death Note kind of feel which I like~

How he didn't want to push the person in front of him even if everything else he considered beforehand led to the need of pushing him off the beam because of his strong will is admiring. Pushing a baby of a cliff lol

Getting 20million ain't that easy after all. What they presented was just overkill wtf. 22 stories to plummet to your death and one final shock (a fucking terrifying one too) to push you off the edge in case you lose your balance for at least a bit. If any of them suddenly felt the need to push someone off because of the time constraints or any reason for all I care, I'll be damned *gulp*

Oct 3, 2017 12:44 PM

Feb 2013
Wow, and I thought that the first race was dangerous, this time you will die for sure if you fall.
Dec 3, 2017 9:05 PM

Jul 2016
i don't know why i don't like sahara... but i don't like him. yukio was in all honesty, pretty encouraging when he gave his speech. it *is* a lot of money and they are given the chance to get it without going through years of hard work. i feel like this arc isn't as good as the janken arc, yes the stakes are of course heightened and there's people getting legitimately injured or dying. however it is simply a bridge... i'm not trying to say that it's a weak challenge. i was hoping for gambling though games though, like say poker.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 14, 2007

90 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 2:20 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 12, 2007

67 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 1:57 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Dec 8, 2007

125 by DevilsMayMew »»
Mar 30, 12:08 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Nov 23, 2007

136 by DevilsMayMew »»
Mar 28, 11:43 PM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

zq - Nov 20, 2007

57 by DevilsMayMew »»
Mar 28, 11:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.