Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 5, 2009 5:10 AM

Mar 2007
The SPJA, Society for the Promotion of Japanese Animation, presented a list of winners on Anime Expo 2009. The SPJA is a non-profit organization which purpose is to bring good anime into the light of the American public. The presented list bears similarities to The Oscars with similar categories. The titles are as follows:

Anime Winners

Death Note:
- Best Voice Actor (Japanese): Kappei Yamaguchi as “L
- Best Character Designs: Masaru Kitaru from Madhouse.
- Best Male Character: “L
- Best Original Score created by Yoshihisa Hirano and Hideki Taniuchi
- Best Director (Japanese): Tetsuro Araki
- Best Director (American): Karl Willems

Gurren Lagann:
- Best Voice Actor (English): Kyle Hebert as “Kamina
- Best Mechanical Designs: Yoh Yoshirari
- Best Television Series

Naruto:
- Best Voice Actress (Japanese): Junko Takeuchi as “Naruto Uzumaki

Bleach the Movie: Memories of Nobody:
- Best Voice Actress (English): Michelle Ruff as “Rukia Kuchiki
- Best Female Character: “Rukia Kuchiki

Bleach:
- Best Casting Director: Jaime Simone
- Best Background Design: Minoru Nakamura
- Best Original Song: “Tonight, Tonight, Tonight” from Beat Crusaders.

xxxHOLIC:
- Best Mascot Character: “Mokona

Lucky Star OVA:
- Best Original Video Animation

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time:
- Best Feature Film

Manga Winners

Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle:
- Best Manga - Action

Fairy Tail:
- Best Manga – Comedy

Monster:
- Best Manga – Drama

Other Winners

- Best Publication: Shonen Jump by Viz Media
- Best Full Motion Video in Video Game: Final Fantasy IV created by Square Enix

Sources: ANN, SPJA
myanimelistllcApr 2, 2016 4:47 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 5, 2009 5:28 AM

Jul 2008
*lol* Best Mascot Character... what a category^^

btw good to see Monster
Jul 5, 2009 5:31 AM

Dec 2007
In a way, their picks are sad options.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Jul 5, 2009 5:33 AM

Sep 2008
Apparently, anime in America = Naruto/Bleach...
"It's because you exist.. That I'm here right now.."
Jul 5, 2009 5:37 AM

Sep 2008
'sigh' all mainstream. Not surprised actually. I think death note is great of course. TTGL is way to overated in my opinion though. As well as Bleach, Naruto and Lucky star. Glad the girl who leapt through time got the best film award at least.
Jul 5, 2009 5:50 AM

Feb 2008
lol, the best Japanese voice actress voices a guy. Talk about a popularity vote.
Jul 5, 2009 6:14 AM

Aug 2008
This whole list is just one big fail. Let me guess, it's probably very similar to the past one and the next one...
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jul 5, 2009 6:27 AM

May 2007
Fairy Tail for best comedy? TRC for best action? .... I just don't get it. -___-'

Jul 5, 2009 6:38 AM
Jul 5, 2009 6:51 AM

Jun 2007
Zirgo said:
The SPJA is a non-profit organization which purpose is to bring good anime into the light of the American public.

Because the US anime fans most certainly have no idea of the existance of those titles, I bet. Unless their intent is to target "fans" that know only 1-5 anime and manga titles, then it's not even worth saying this list is awful.
Jul 5, 2009 6:54 AM

Apr 2008
Haha, I like "Best Mascot". Very overrated as usual. I'm happy for Junko, Kappei, and Kyle...I guess.
Jul 5, 2009 7:02 AM

Feb 2008
NoyaChan said:
Fairy Tail for best comedy? TRC for best action? .... I just don't get it. -___-'

Me too. I find it hard to imagine a CLAMP work to equated to best "action"..
Jul 5, 2009 7:18 AM

Jan 2009
oh no.
Jul 5, 2009 7:19 AM

May 2007
Seems like "good anime" = "hyped / totally overrated anime".
Just my opinion, though...
'I think of my fellow men from the Shieikan as my lifelong comrades. My most proud and precious good fortune has been to have met all of you, Soji.' [Yamanami Keisuke, vice-commander, Shinsengumi]
Jul 5, 2009 7:24 AM

Jul 2007
kuroshiroi said:
lol, the best Japanese voice actress voices a guy. Talk about a popularity vote.

In my opinion Junko Takeuchi really is a great voice actress, she can voice different kinds of characters
from a baby (Lambo from KHR) to a guy (Naruto) to a girl (Rin from Precure)

it really isn't because she voices the character from a mainstream anime
Jul 5, 2009 7:28 AM

May 2008
shinkeikaku said:
Terrible
Jul 5, 2009 7:33 AM

May 2008
I'm glad Mokona got an award! :D

Music is from the soul~ ♥
Jul 5, 2009 7:34 AM

Dec 2006
yunadestined said:

Newsflash, most anime here is watched by kids. Drawn images will never be taken seriously as a good medium to portray good stories, despite most anime being much better then ANY movie i've ever seen.
KiraJul 5, 2009 7:40 AM
リスト 。。

Jul 5, 2009 7:51 AM

Mar 2008
Soulstrider said:
shinkeikaku said:
Terrible
Jul 5, 2009 8:02 AM

Feb 2008
rhapsodic said:
kuroshiroi said:

In my opinion Junko Takeuchi really is a great voice actress, she can voice different kinds of characters
from a baby (Lambo from KHR) to a guy (Naruto) to a girl (Rin from Precure)

it really isn't because she voices the character from a mainstream anime
She won for Naruto, not anything else. It obviously helps to voice a mainstream anime, which is ridiculous.

I guess I shouldn't complain too much, last year Haruhi won almost everything, lol

Kira said:
yunadestined said:

Newsflash, most anime here is watched by kids. Drawn images will never be taken seriously as a good medium to portray good stories,[...]
Up, Toy Story, Lion King, Wall-E and some others would like to have a word with you. The problem isn't the drawn images, it's the anime.
kuroshiroiJul 5, 2009 8:06 AM
Jul 5, 2009 8:26 AM

Sep 2008
This list is no good.
"In 2009, in a survey asking its respondents "which manga do you think is the most interesting?" in a pool of 6000, Kuso Miso Technique came at 11th, beating popular manga such as Gintama and Detective Conan." Wiki
Jul 5, 2009 8:40 AM

Jul 2008
We all shouldn't be surprised at this.
Jul 5, 2009 9:42 AM

Jun 2007
This is a BS list in so many ways. I hope that this isn't a serious organization.
Likely run by a bunch of Narutards.

Plus, Kyle Herbert's Kamina over Stephen Blum's Leeron? Like I said, BS list.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Jul 5, 2009 10:19 AM

Jun 2008
I lol'ed at best mascot character, though I am happy Mokona got an award XD

But I got to disagree that Tsubasa should had best action since many part of the art were quiet confusing to even see the great action into it <.<'
And Fairy Tail for comedy is even weird...
And Naruto shouldn't won more than it's need to...
Jul 5, 2009 10:45 AM

Jul 2007
Antanaru said:
This whole list is just one big fail. Let me guess, it's probably very similar to the past one and the next one...

Couldn't find 2007 (if it even existed), but here's 2008: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2008-07-04/anime-expo-2008-announces-the-2008-spja-award-winners

Actually rather agreeable.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Jul 5, 2009 11:21 AM

Mar 2008
The list and last years list are completely ridiculous. I thought the American Anime Awards (what ever happened to that?) would be a popularity contest but compared to this, they even had a bit more of a healthy mix. This is a shameless example of why I don't really like viewer-choice awards.

Only real worthy one is The Girl Who Leapt Through Time though why has it won twice? Same with Tsubasa, why are so many of these wining twice? One win should be enough.
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Jul 5, 2009 11:50 AM

Sep 2008
Why is it a bunch of anime from 2006-07?

"The SPJA is a non-profit organization which purpose is to bring good anime into the light of the American public." Yea, they might want to rethink their purpose. All they are doing is awarding series that have been popular for quite some time.
Jul 5, 2009 12:41 PM
Jul 2018
I'm loving all of the awards given to Gurren Lagann and the "Best Male Character" award. (lol, I'm biased)

I have a few problems otherwise, but not because the awards were given to truly bad contenders -- I just think there were better picks out there.

But aren't some of these series a tad old to be getting awards...? Or is this the first time this set of awards have been done?
Jul 5, 2009 12:44 PM

Jan 2009
Well, I'm not surprised at all. But this is 2009 vote right? So why da hell it's mostly 2007 animes? Anyway, Death Note earned all hype, so I don't see nothing wrong with it.

Nostalgia said:
Su said:
Death Note? That's SO 2007.

In my opinion there has yet to come an anime/manga that can beat Death Note.

I wonder when. :D To be honest, I still can't find anything better than "Death Note".
Jul 5, 2009 12:44 PM

Apr 2008
2009?
Jul 5, 2009 1:19 PM

Sep 2008
DaeScope said:
Soulstrider said:
shinkeikaku said:
Terrible
Jul 5, 2009 1:36 PM

Nov 2006
Motoyama said:
DaeScope said:
Soulstrider said:
shinkeikaku said:
Terrible
Jul 5, 2009 1:48 PM

Nov 2007
Out of the stuff I know, only Monster deserved to win.
As much as I love TRC, Action? lol
I haven't seen The Girl Who Leapt Through Time yet, but that's probably another good winner.

Other than that...

windy said:
Motoyama said:
DaeScope said:
Soulstrider said:
shinkeikaku said:
Terrible

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Jul 5, 2009 2:22 PM

Aug 2008
Nostalgia said:
Su said:
Death Note? That's SO 2007.

In my opinion there has yet to come an anime/manga that can beat Death Note.

well, code geass is bettre than death note for me. :)
Jul 5, 2009 2:26 PM
Jan 2008
NGE should be up there, its a heck of a lot better than deathnote
"Forged in darkness with wheat harvested from Hell's half acre. Baked by Beelzabub; slathered with mayonnaise beaten from the evil eggs of dark chickens, force-fed to dogs by the hands of a one-eyed madman. Cheese boiled from the rancid utters of fanged cows. Layered with 666 separate meats from an animal which has maggots for blood."
ATHF
Jul 5, 2009 2:29 PM

Oct 2007
Awful :(
Jul 5, 2009 2:35 PM

Oct 2007
I'm disappointed. These awards mean nothing to me.
Jul 5, 2009 2:36 PM

Jul 2008
Zirgo said:
Death Note:
- Best Voice Actor (Japanese): Kappei Yamaguchi as “L

What? Yamaguchi was good but Mamoru Miyano was one hundred times better.

2008 Awards said:
Best Voice Actor (English)
Alessandro Juliani – DEATH NOTE – L

EHHH!?!? Yet another popularity vote. If you voice L, you win.
ToukaJul 5, 2009 2:47 PM
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Jul 5, 2009 3:14 PM

Aug 2008
shinkeikaku said:
Terrible
Jul 5, 2009 5:04 PM

Oct 2008
I love Death Note, but putting some anime that aired during the last year would have been a little better still.

Bleach: Memories of Nobody was the only recent series/OVA/movie (not including bleach, naruto, and one piece which have been around for a long time in America and Japan)
Jul 5, 2009 6:00 PM

Dec 2006
BlackWings said:
I'm disappointed. These awards mean nothing to me.

And they shouldn't. Individual opinion != majority.
リスト 。。

Jul 5, 2009 6:35 PM

Oct 2008
Torisunanohokori said:
This is a BS list in so many ways. I hope that this isn't a serious organization.
Likely run by a bunch of Narutards.

Plus, Kyle Herbert's Kamina over Stephen Blum's Leeron? Like I said, BS list.
I haven't even seen TTGL dubbed and I know that Steve Blum's VAing would be the best in the entire show.

And terrible list.
Jul 5, 2009 7:40 PM

Sep 2007
Zirgo said:
Gurren Lagann:
- Best Voice Actor (English): Kyle Hebert as “Kamina
Bleach the Movie: Memories of Nobody:
- Best Female Character: “Rukia Kuchiki”]

no
this award is a troll
Jul 5, 2009 10:15 PM

Aug 2008
Lol weird awards... thou I'm happy for TRC (lol TRC as action XD) and Mokona, more for Mokona :P... But damn... These animes are good, but there are better.... Well I guess you gotta start with something new and proved before in the original country... but.. Oh well enough..

ANN.com said:
The statements made in this press release that are not historical facts are "forward-looking statements." These forward-looking statements are based on current expectations and assumptions that are subject to risks and uncertainties. The Company cautions readers of this press release that a number of important factors could cause Anime Expo®/SPJA's actual future results to differ materially from those expressed in any such forward-looking statements. Such factors include, without limitation, product delays, industry competition, rapid changes in technology and industry standards, protection of proprietary rights, maintenance of relationships with key personnel, vendors and third-party developers, international economic and political conditions. The Company may change its intention, belief or expectation, at any time and without notice, based upon any changes in such factors, in the Company's assumptions or otherwise. The Company undertakes no obligation to release publicly any revisions to any forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances after the date hereof or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events.
Blabbering... pointless... meaningless....

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 5, 2009 10:44 PM

Apr 2008
Mokona from Tsubasa gets no love while Mokona from xxxholic gets it all

this is dramatic.
Jul 6, 2009 1:47 AM

Nov 2008
velcom said:
'sigh' all mainstream. Not surprised actually. I think death note is great of course. TTGL is way to overated in my opinion though. As well as Bleach, Naruto and Lucky star. Glad the girl who leapt through time got the best film award at least.

you're talking about overrated, and then you praise Death Note?

Dooooohohoho
Jul 6, 2009 2:04 AM

Sep 2008
MFGreth said:
velcom said:

you're talking about overrated, and then you praise Death Note?

Dooooohohoho

haha yea i can't blame you there. I will agree it's overrated but it's still a really well done series. It's just been blown out of proportion. Then again there's a ton of series that are good/great that are like that.
Jul 6, 2009 5:01 AM
Mar 2009
Lets see the only anime that i've seen aired regularly is on AdultSwim in U.S. there are some channels such as spike or the sci fi i think that have some mecha animes on occasion... Adult swim usually just has bleach (almost every weekend from what i remember), Naruto most of the time, Inuyasha, Death Note, ... Code Geass R2 just started up again on Adult Swim. I think thats all I've seen as far as anime goes on television here in the states.

Oh wait .. of course your Dragonball, and One Piece on the occasion. Then your simple Pokemon and other shows like that.
Jul 6, 2009 7:44 AM

Dec 2008
windy said:
Motoyama said:
DaeScope said:
Soulstrider said:
shinkeikaku said:
Terrible

LoL! Actually Naruto's voice is annoying...
Jul 6, 2009 8:44 AM

Apr 2009
lol, that's one of the most screwed up lists I've ever seen here. U.S. manga Charts included.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Kakushite! Makina-san!!' Gets TV Anime in 2025

Vindstot - May 9

13 by malvarez1 »»
7 hours ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Apr 26

10 by Deoxyribo9 »»
Today, 6:55 AM

» 'Detective Conan' Creator's 'Yaiba' Manga Receives New Anime

Hyperion_PS - May 7

20 by Zedlin »»
Yesterday, 4:23 PM

» Light Novel 'Izure Saikyou no Renkinjutsushi?' Gets TV Anime in Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - May 9

5 by Zedlin »»
Yesterday, 4:21 PM

» 'Dungeon no Naka no Hito' Announces Additional Cast, Staff

DatRandomDude - May 9

2 by Zedlin »»
Yesterday, 4:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.