Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Witchcraft Works
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 19, 2014 12:52 PM

Oct 2013
Love this show, can someone seal a white princess in me so I can get a Kagari-chan to protect me plox.
Feb 19, 2014 1:59 PM

Dec 2013
Alright, so I really enjoyed this show at first, but it seems to be losing focus really bad in the last couple episodes or so. I mean, seriously, what is the plot? Things are revealed, you think they're important, you believe you see a reason for everything that's happening, then BAM! They reveal something contrary to previous reveals, sides change, and power increases/decreases in the characters at random. Nothing about this series is keeping in consistency, and it's now beginning to lack greatly in substance.

It's got great humor, the animation is cool, the characters are unique and colorful, but the dialogue and the story are chaotic at best. I've made it this far, so I'll tough it out as there is only a few episodes left, but I seen no goal or even any aim in any general direction for these last few episodes to shoot for.

Overall, I'll give this episode 4/10
Odds are I'm not going to find my way back to a thread after my first post, it happens on occasion but not often. So, if I say something that offends you and you feel the need to force your opinion on me because obviously everyone should have your opinion or none at all, feel free to post it in the thread that I'll probably never see again. However, if you are interested in intelligent discourse, feel free to message me.
Feb 19, 2014 2:11 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I wonder what kind of power up Kagari would get from a real deep kiss? Explosions galore I bet.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 19, 2014 2:17 PM

Dec 2009
At first I was all 'huh? why is she teaming up with Medusa?' Once it was explained it made sense, and helped show what lengths Kagri will go for Takamiya and keeping him safe.

The very end was cute and funny.

'Didn't know girls could light up like that.' cracked me up!

Feb 19, 2014 3:59 PM

Aug 2012
Cleaning ears is a new way to powerup! And wow, their family is growing.. XD
Feb 19, 2014 5:50 PM

May 2011
Even Kazane can't deal with Takamiya's mum. xD But oh man, Kagari's combination with Medusa was hot. Although there was some charm to Kazane's cape on top of her snazzy outfit as well. Yes, the bulk of my commenting is on their style currently, lol. And that power!
Feb 19, 2014 5:59 PM
Oct 2012
The_Bif said:
Alright, so I really enjoyed this show at first, but it seems to be losing focus really bad in the last couple episodes or so. I mean, seriously, what is the plot? Things are revealed, you think they're important, you believe you see a reason for everything that's happening, then BAM! They reveal something contrary to previous reveals, sides change, and power increases/decreases in the characters at random. Nothing about this series is keeping in consistency, and it's now beginning to lack greatly in substance.

The plot is what it has always been: Takamiya is a source of a lot of power, Kagari is the only person currently who can tap that power, the Tower Witches want access to that power and the powerful ones are fighting among themselves to secure they power for themselves, the Workshop witches are fine with the status quo, but some of them are eager to seize the power if they opportunity presents itself, Kagari's mother is fine as long as the power is directed by Kagari, but will sacrifice everyone (including herself) to prevent it from falling into someone else's hands. Kagari wants to ensure that Takamiya survives since they have some previous bonding (and I think that is literal), and will fight anyone or ally herself with anyone who advances that agenda.

Your confusion, far from showing a lack of plot, actually highlights that this show DOES have a plot, and a pretty complex one at that. The writer is not giving us a simple Good vs. Evil (though in the end I think it will be apparent that some are good and some are evil), but is dropping hints that there is a lot more going on behind the scenes.

That is what a good show does. That is what is making this show a treat to watch. It isn't your typical simplistic "mahou shoujo" animation. It is it's own unique blend.
Feb 19, 2014 7:35 PM

Jun 2011
For people who want a more straight forward plot there will be the first sort of arc soon when an antagonist that spans multiple chapters shows up it will probably be the last arc of the anime since scenes from it are shown in the opening with the burning city and the antagonist was also shown in the opening.

The start of the manga and anime always had plot there but it was also a nice little introduction to the series and set all the important things up, then next came the first longish arc called Takamiya-kun vs. Weekend which like i said is probably the last arc of this season of the anime.

Someone also pointed out how great the designs are in this series and i have to agree they really are creative and look even better in the manga especially when they get color pages of Kagari's outfits.
Othinus
Touma
Pairing

http://hestia.dance/
Feb 19, 2014 8:35 PM

Jan 2008
Glad Ayaka didn't get CG'd when she combined.
Feb 19, 2014 10:40 PM

Apr 2013
Ayaka: (Beat) Tatakae wa nai no?
Kazane: TATAKAEMASEN!!!

That was just classic. I love this show more and more every week.
Feb 20, 2014 2:15 AM

Apr 2011
Something about this show makes me love it even more.
"Ogon’ po gotovnosti!"
Feb 20, 2014 3:52 AM
Sep 2013
LOL at the Q-tip, this show is so random. But love the randomness, the characters, and like the overall pacing of this show. Although this is not the best show of the season, it surely is the most original.

No "team rocket's blasting off again" moment this episode though :/
Feb 20, 2014 12:00 PM

Mar 2012
That was one random nightmare.
Feb 20, 2014 12:21 PM

Dec 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
The_Bif said:

The plot is what it has always been: Takamiya is a source of a lot of power, Kagari is the only person currently who can tap that power, the Tower Witches want access to that power and the powerful ones are fighting among themselves to secure they power for themselves, the Workshop witches are fine with the status quo, but some of them are eager to seize the power if they opportunity presents itself, Kagari's mother is fine as long as the power is directed by Kagari, but will sacrifice everyone (including herself) to prevent it from falling into someone else's hands. Kagari wants to ensure that Takamiya survives since they have some previous bonding (and I think that is literal), and will fight anyone or ally herself with anyone who advances that agenda.

Your confusion, far from showing a lack of plot, actually highlights that this show DOES have a plot, and a pretty complex one at that. The writer is not giving us a simple Good vs. Evil (though in the end I think it will be apparent that some are good and some are evil), but is dropping hints that there is a lot more going on behind the scenes.

That is what a good show does. That is what is making this show a treat to watch. It isn't your typical simplistic "mahou shoujo" animation. It is it's own unique blend.

The "plot" you describe here, which I've put in bold print for convenience, isn't a plot at all but a premise. What you've described is the premise on which the show is based, but you've still not mentioned a plot. A plot would be something along the lines of sequential events that lead from point A(Kagari protecting Takamiya) to point B(a grand climax that shows growth and brings conclusion to the aforementioned premise). You cannot call a premise a "complex plot".

I'm a fiction writer, and have been for writing and working in the writing field for over 20 years. I may not always be able to craft a good plot myself, every writer writes some crap, but I know a plot or the lack of a plot when I see it.

There has been hint at a plot, and I believe there was a plot when the series first started, but it seems to me that it was thrown away weeks ago for random humor and mindless entertainment.

Character growth has been non-existent. I thought we were getting some growth from the characters when Takamiya decided to have Kagari train him, but she hasn't trained him and he seems compliant with that. Every time he starts to have any thoughts about growth as an individual it's stifled and he gives in.

Story development is also lacking. We still have the exact same premise with which we started in episode 1, nothing has changed. Characters have been added, but they quickly become nothing but background humor. Nothing has developed, nothing has happened. We've seen Takamiya use the power inside of him, and the witches talk about it like it's something major, but we already knew he had some major power in him from the very beginning. Why is this power there? What is the power? If it's so important, why aren't people actually putting effort into trying to obtain it?

Villains are laughable at best. Medusa's first escape was set up to show her as some kind of bad ass, but she went down the same as all of the rest and quickly became background humor like the rest. She's a joke now. That weird science teacher, hell that's not even a villain. The Tower Witches? There's not one of them that's been able to take one hit from Kagari, except for Chronoire. But Chronoire? Captured by Kazane, and is now more of a joke than a threat. So where is the danger? Who is it that they're protecting Takamiya's power from? He seems to be threatened more by Kazane than anyone else, and even she's too lazy and irresponsible of a character to be a threat.

So far the only thing this series has done is prove over and over that Takamiya's power, Kagari, and Kazane are completely overpowered God-types that no one can touch. That hardly leaves room for any believable villains, especially since all of the villains, so far, have been defeated or captured within seconds of the encounter. There's only 5 episodes left and there's been no growth, development, or even any questions answered. There have been, however, more questions brought up. In order to actually successfully wrap this series up within 5 episodes it will have to be rushed. If this was supposed to be an episodic series, I could buy all of this, but everything so far has laid it out to be a serial.
The_BifFeb 20, 2014 12:25 PM
Odds are I'm not going to find my way back to a thread after my first post, it happens on occasion but not often. So, if I say something that offends you and you feel the need to force your opinion on me because obviously everyone should have your opinion or none at all, feel free to post it in the thread that I'll probably never see again. However, if you are interested in intelligent discourse, feel free to message me.
Feb 20, 2014 4:09 PM

Nov 2008
I am very pleased with the adaption of Witch craft works so far. I mean every adaption will remove something here or there etc.. but it has been very well and loyally adapted to its parent material (which is quite good) and remained so once again for 7 and it looks like for 8 were going to get the 'young ayaka' when she
so a bit of her past
Feb 20, 2014 4:24 PM
Feb 2014
In all honesty after watching every episode so far, and have read every chapter of the manga so far, I kinda feel as though there will be a second season. If a second season does not happen, they better not fuck up the ending. For anyone who has read the manga, what do you guys feel?
Feb 20, 2014 8:31 PM
Oct 2012
The_Bif said:
The "plot" you describe here, which I've put in bold print for convenience, isn't a plot at all but a premise.
Villains are laughable at best. Medusa's first escape was set up to show her as some kind of bad ass, but she went down the same as all of the rest
But Chronoire? Captured by Kazane, and is now more of a joke than a threat. So where is the danger? Who is it that they're protecting Takamiya's power from? He seems to be threatened more by Kazane than anyone else, and even she's too lazy and irresponsible of a character to be a threat.

Okay, I respect your status as a writer, and you are right, what I said was the premise, not the plot. But bear with me.

Chronoire was captured, but she managed to release the all important first seal and despite being captured by Kazane, she didn't give this info up.

Think about that. This is why I think the writer is still setting up the bigger plot. Plot is action, and while I won't argue your points, action has been occurring. We are still in the dark as to where exactly things are heading, but Chronoire's status should be enough to suggest that bigger things are in store.
Feb 20, 2014 8:47 PM

Dec 2011
For one moment I really thought that Akari and Takamiya are siblings lol
Funny episode as always, dat Kagari's outfits~
Feb 20, 2014 9:37 PM

Dec 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
The_Bif said:
The "plot" you describe here, which I've put in bold print for convenience, isn't a plot at all but a premise.
Villains are laughable at best. Medusa's first escape was set up to show her as some kind of bad ass, but she went down the same as all of the rest
But Chronoire? Captured by Kazane, and is now more of a joke than a threat. So where is the danger? Who is it that they're protecting Takamiya's power from? He seems to be threatened more by Kazane than anyone else, and even she's too lazy and irresponsible of a character to be a threat.

Okay, I respect your status as a writer, and you are right, what I said was the premise, not the plot. But bear with me.

Chronoire was captured, but she managed to release the all important first seal and despite being captured by Kazane, she didn't give this info up.

Think about that. This is why I think the writer is still setting up the bigger plot. Plot is action, and while I won't argue your points, action has been occurring. We are still in the dark as to where exactly things are heading, but Chronoire's status should be enough to suggest that bigger things are in store.

First, I respect the fact that you're providing an actual discussion. I've seen so many haters bashing each other on these threads lately, so /salute!

Now, on to the topics you brought up. Chronoire did indeed manipulate the first seal into being broken, and did not give up anything after being captured. I cannot disagree with the facts here.

And I cannot disagree that the writers could be setting up a "bigger plot". But my concern is that, even if there is some bigger plot, these last 5 episodes won't be enough to pull it off successfully and that it will end up being ruined by being rushed.

As for your other point, plot is action and action has been occurring. Plot is action, this is undeniable in any medium whether it be a comic book, manga, anime, movie, novel, or video game. However, as much as plot may be action, not all action is plot. Most of the action we've seen so far hasn't developed anything at all other than the constant reminder that Kagari is a god.

So, all in all, I still cannot help but be concerned that Chronoire's status alone will not be enough to bring this show back up to the esteem I held it with when it first started.

Now, of course, this is all just my opinions. So, it's not like everything I'm saying is absolute fact, truth, or law. My biggest issue with the show is that I held more respect for it in the beginning, and felt that it had so much potential that is now going to waste.
Feb 21, 2014 6:55 PM
Oct 2012
The_Bif said:
First, I respect the fact that you're providing an actual discussion. I've seen so many haters bashing each other on these threads lately, so /salute!

And I respect the fact that you respect the fact that I respect fact :-)

In a way its tough to have a discussion on this because I can see too well your point, there are tons of series where the writers don't pull their plot together and instead it unravels into a giant gloppy mess of goo, and on top of that I have the tendency to spot plot lines that later prove to have not existed. A recent example of that was with Galilei Donna (came up with all these beautiful theories about that show, even referenced all the parts in the animation which seemed to be pointing to this amazing story but it ended up as a horrific mess).

And I get your point about timing, there are countless examples of series that fail at this (including the entire first season of Star Trek the Next Generation (showing my age))

Whether this applies to this show, I am hoping not. I think there is a very real purpose behind having Kagari be this strong (though she is far from being a god, first her own mother can wipe the floor with her, second, she is only as strong as her bond with Takamiya is, and we know that he has issues). I think the writer has a point in keeping Takamiya weak, and that as Chronoire showed, this is the way to get to what they want (a little of his white stuff). And I think we are in for a big revelation about the real roles of the Tower and Workshop Witches.

But whether this translates to a satisfying conclusion, who knows. I am hoping that next episode will start to pull things together.
Feb 22, 2014 1:36 PM

Oct 2013
This gets increasingly fun to watch,first episode was akward as hell for me,but its gotten very good later on 8/10.

Not your usual magic show thats for sure.
Feb 27, 2014 9:24 AM

Oct 2012
For those questioning her power up method, IMO trusting a girl to clean my ears would require a hell of stronger bond than kissing/fornicating.

Ayaka seems like she rocks different battle outfits every time she transforms, that's gotta be some kind of record.

Takuan_Soho said:

+1
AlbatorzFeb 27, 2014 9:28 AM
Feb 28, 2014 3:17 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

The plot now seems clear, there should be no surprises, not bad, but I hope there's more.
Narration nice and usable, I do not believe in the future become more serious than this, however, I like it!
Great job JC Staff regarding the animations and great attention placed on the drawings, I am still amazed how they finished so well, I love them.
I love the character design, in addition to it also the costume design is so cute, I love it.
Not bad this episode that finally shows the power of Kazane, utmost respect for her! * _ *
Beautiful also the merger between Medusa and Kagari.
Very happy with this show, even the scenery are beautiful to see.
I am sad that he is about to finish, I want a new season of 24 episodes, with new characters! * _ *
Mar 3, 2014 11:30 AM

Aug 2013
Woah, I just noticed that Chronoire Schwarz VI seiyu is Rie Kugimiya, my favorite girl seiyu <3

This show is so crazy. Even the ennemy that seem like what would be a last boss or something like this are beaten in a second and released in 10 seconds xD

There was some plot development in that episode. We learned more about Ayaka motivation. Also, that ear cleaning :3

That shower scene was weirdly sexy.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Mar 9, 2014 12:19 AM

May 2012
It was alright. I mean, the show is definitely better than it was during the first couple of episodes.
Mar 9, 2014 3:48 PM

May 2012
02:24 Tanpopo <3

10:45 LOOOL

7/10 for this episode.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Mar 16, 2014 2:59 AM

Jul 2013
"villain"
Apr 13, 2014 11:34 AM

Mar 2012
Soooo....these seals are supposed to keep a dangerous power in check no? So, we'll spend the whole show keeping him from being captured so in the end the power gets unleashed and we all regret not doing something about it sooner...yep that's how I see it going.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Apr 24, 2014 7:12 AM

Apr 2011
It's hard to explain but there is something in this series that pulls me to watch more.
Apr 24, 2014 1:32 PM

May 2012
Pretty impressive episode, some great action and a nice ending :3 Well let's see what's next but this sure is developing quite lovely.
Jun 21, 2014 4:45 AM
May 2012
I didn't like the idea of fusion, but Kagari sure looked so damn hot in that form *^* Thanks, Medusa ahahaha.
So, cleaning his ears makes her powerful ahahaha.
Awesome and funny episode!!
Feb 14, 2015 12:19 PM

Nov 2012
6:16 holy crap she packed up fast :DDD
Mar 3, 2015 1:58 AM

Nov 2011
I have no idea what the fuck is even going on anymore
Jan 28, 2019 8:55 AM

Jun 2015
Not bad

I really love the ending. It's so catchy!
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jun 22, 2020 10:24 AM
Jun 2020
I like how this episode was very serious but really easy-going at the same time.
I read some and watched a lot and I plan to see a lot more.

I also gotta get this signature thing straightened out... I'll come up with something cool later. Can't be bothered to do it now.

Also, check out my blog posts, I have lists of websites for reading manga and watching anime that you might find helpful and leave a comment!
Jun 22, 2020 10:24 AM
Jun 2020
I like how this episode was very serious but really easy-going at the same time.
I read some and watched a lot and I plan to see a lot more.

I also gotta get this signature thing straightened out... I'll come up with something cool later. Can't be bothered to do it now.

Also, check out my blog posts, I have lists of websites for reading manga and watching anime that you might find helpful and leave a comment!
Oct 12, 2020 7:34 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
She really cleaned his ears to gain power...xD well I'm looking forward to seeing the fight against the mother
Sep 6, 2022 10:22 PM

Aug 2019
So Medusa and her crew really were just freeloading in Takamiya's house the whole time? Lmao the thought that like 5 people and a supernatural being have to sneak around the house for food or to take a shower while also having to see Kagari and Takamiya flirt makes me laugh. Also Takamiya with that impeccable timing, i guess having like 10 people live in a single house at once is bound to cause some accidents, i'm really more shocked that Menowa and Katsura instead of getting clothes, just stood and watched Kagar fight her mom.

Some conflict between Kagari and her mom as Kagari tries to hide Takamiya's seal breaking from her. So after Kagari beat Medusa she made a pact with her to use her powers and spare her if she keeps Takamiya's seal being broken a secret? I guess witches have more honour then expected. Loved the look Kagari and Medusa's shared form had but i guess all in all it was debuffing Kagari, but i feel like even against Kagari's mom who although we haven't seen fight lots, theres a reason she appointed head of the workshop in the town.

Also surely Takamiya swapping places with Kagari would show that the first seal is broken? Unless that's completely separate power to whats actually supposed to happen when a seal breaks.
Jan 24, 6:15 AM
Jun 2022
Pointless , Smh Wasted My Time.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 9, 2014

56 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 11:00 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 2, 2014

49 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 10:47 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 23, 2014

84 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 6:32 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2014

118 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 23, 12:18 PM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 26, 2014

109 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 23, 12:00 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.