Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 30, 2009 2:02 AM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I was surprised, that Maya was able to pull it off. But, even more so by the fact that the troupe was forced to disband. That was completely unexpected. But, that's what is great about this show, not everything goes the right way.

Ayumi obviously respects Maya, which is kind of interesting.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 10, 2010 9:06 AM

Feb 2009
insan3soldiern said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I was surprised, that Maya was able to pull it off. But, even more so by the fact that the troupe was forced to disband. That was completely unexpected. But, that's what is great about this show, not everything goes the right way.

Yeah I loved it...It was a great episode...I really didn't think they would have to disband!
I like how Ayumi respects Maya, in a lot of anime the other girl usually hates the main character..then later they end up being friends XD
Jul 6, 2010 10:30 AM

Mar 2010
she did the whole play by her self amazing but then they disqualified her thats stupid but if everything went right then this would be alot mroe boring

"I am the bone of my sword,
Steel is my body and Fire is my blood,
I have created over a thousand blades,
Unknown to Death,
Nor known to Life,
Have withstood pain to create many weapons,
Yet, those hands will never hold anything,
So as I pray, unlimited blade works"
Apr 15, 2011 1:43 PM

Sep 2008
I have to agree with others that it definitely makes for a more interesting show when things don't go as planned, and when there's a wrench that gets thrown in the main character's plans... This show is all the more entertaining because of its unpredictability! The entire time Maya was acting, I kept expecting the whole thing to fall apart... but the crowd loved it! Even if the Tsukikage Troupe did get disbanded, Ayumi's absolutely right: they won, in a way, because they were the crowd's number one top choice. Ultimately, its the opinions of those people you're acting for and trying to entertain that counts, right? :D So who cares what the Ondine Troupe's leader said to get them disqualified! He's a jerk and I'm sure he's got something bad coming for him, anyway.
Aug 31, 2012 12:34 AM

Nov 2011
Urgh! I'm soooo mad! I was wondering how she was going to pull it off, and Maya was so entertaining too! The other group was really nice, though. They were awesome to help her out to the point of exhaustion.

Anyway, Maya's play was brilliant - and I think people who say that she didn't have the spirit of acting or that improvisation is wrong is an idiot. It doesn't matter if you deviate from the original if you can come up with a better thing. That's totally fine, and usually way better. Go up there on a stage with your weak, shaking knees, face the crowd, and vomit all those words up, and then get booed off >,< seriously, how could she get DISQUALIFIED for creativity? Shouldn't she be highly praised instead?!? And then handed first place? Gawd...

"!" Sorry, I was on a rant -_-
These faces are so cute that I might just leave them here (#`Д´)´∀`)・ω・) ゚Д゚)゚∀゚)・∀・) ̄ー ̄)´_ゝ`)
Jun 14, 2013 7:56 PM
Jan 2013
insan3soldiern said:

That is the thing I love most about this show. In most shows, Ayumi would be the one playing dirty tricks and trying to tear Maya down, like Onodera's doing, but Ayumi consistently holds her up as a worthy artist.
Your mean should be an even bell curve only if you watch every show that comes out. Having a high-slung mean doesn't mean you're rating improperly. It can also mean you're selecting shows well to watch mostly things you enjoy.
Apr 14, 2014 2:47 AM

Aug 2013
skreyola said:
insan3soldiern said:

That is the thing I love most about this show. In most shows, Ayumi would be the one playing dirty tricks and trying to tear Maya down, like Onodera's doing, but Ayumi consistently holds her up as a worthy artist.

It's refreshing right? :) I mean one look at Ayumi and you'd think "ahh she's going to resort to underhanded tactics because Maya always steals the limelight" but she isn't. She wants to beat Maya on-stage, fair and square.

Noo they're going to disband :( Does that mean no more Aoki Rei?
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Apr 17, 2016 3:42 AM

Jun 2015
Anyway Maya also got the help from the other troupe's members in making all of those stage effects. They were flawless and really dedicated in helping her. That's convenient.

Loving this so far. The scenes in where Hayami teases Maya are also kind of cute.
Feb 21, 2017 4:51 AM

Aug 2012
Definitely my favorite episode so far. I'm not too surprised that they ended up getting disbanded, it crossed my mind during the intermission that a solo-performance doesn't really constitute as a Troupe performance (which admittedly isn't strictly why they got disqualified but my line of reasoning wasn't too far off) but prior to this episode, the thought didn't even cross my mind. I was convinced that we see Maya perform her way into success, overcoming whatever obstacles Onodera threw in her way (which technically she did). I was actually kinda expecting to hate this episodes, as Maya's innate greatness is skewing too heavily to unrealistic proportions (granted, the series already broke suspension of disbelief with their implication that Maya & Tsukikage went over lines for five days straight with a door in-between) and was getting to the point where it was looking to negatively impact my experience.

Despite the fact that Maya definitely performed a miracle here, I loved every second of it. As far as my research shows, the play she performed was created for this series entirely, which to be honest is a little disappointing but ultimately, it worked within the context of the show. It's a bit hard to really imagine how the play would've initially been performed with a full cast, likely an effect of the liberties taken with the play, but the actually performance itself was captivating. Even ignoring the outside stuff, like the Ikkakujyu Troupe (and yes, I looked up there name because I would never be able to remember how to spell that) helping out like the ultimate bro's, the play as presented here was entertaining on it's own merit. The way she tackled the performance was believable, I somewhat question how they were able to co-operate with the sound effects and everything so quickly but regardless, I immensely enjoyed the tale she weaved mostly by herself. I do think the performance would've been more impressive had we gotten some glimpse of what the play was suppose to look like through rehearsal but I suppose that wasn't necessary.

& since it's been brought up, Ayumi became my favorite character early on when she immediately called out her Troupe for criticizing Maya way back when, stating that if she had join the Troupe she'd reduce them to supporting cast. I don't really consider her my favorite, that distinction goes to either Tsukikage or Hayami, with Maya potentially eclipsing them depending on my mood (right now Maya is number one).

Also, it's been highlighted before on previous discussions threads but the score is really fantastic. In this episode in particular I feel like it really helped captured the wonder in Maya's performance.
Mar 30, 2017 10:49 AM

Nov 2008
What a powerful episode, I still can feel the pressure on my eyes. This show is pure gold.
Aug 4, 2017 6:50 AM
Aug 2014
Really enjoyed the performance, but then what followed after was rather stupid again.

The judges should have just told that director to fuck off as surely they would have taken his objections into consideration. And even after they were disqualified for no other reason than to move the plot along the other troupe somehow finished first.

It just makes so little sense it's really making me dislike this show.
Nov 12, 2017 2:45 AM

Aug 2014
damn i was so into that shame the jerks had to go and ruin it again..
Dec 2, 2019 9:27 AM

Oct 2015
I wish I could have jumped onto the screen and bite Onodera in the nose, damn that bastard ticks me off.

Too bad Tsukikage had to be disqualified because of him, even after that stellar performance by Maya.

Wonder which direction will the series take now.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jul 3, 2020 5:34 PM

Aug 2014
I understand the disqualification, as that really wasn't a true troupe performance.

Nevertheless, Maya did a great job. I honestly feel the play works better as a solo act rather than one with a full cast. It's more compelling and creative.

Also, as many others have said in this thread, Ayumi is a fantastic rival. She doesn't use underhanded means to defeat Maya nor does she constantly belittle her. Instead, she meets her as an equal and truly realizes Maya's talent for acting. Compared to other shows, she's a really refreshing character and I'm looking forward to seeing more of her.

On to the next!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Glass Mask (2005) Episode 51 Discussion

jacobpaige - Mar 12, 2011

34 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 12, 8:33 AM

Poll: » Glass Mask (2005) Episode 49 Discussion

9 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 12, 7:27 AM

Poll: » Glass Mask (2005) Episode 45 Discussion

senerikfred - Dec 13, 2009

11 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 11, 7:32 PM

Poll: » Glass no Kamen (2005) Episode 47 Discussion

greentutu - Jun 29, 2013

7 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 11, 7:21 PM

Poll: » Glass Mask (2005) Episode 46 Discussion

5 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 11, 6:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.