Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 18, 2009 10:38 PM

Apr 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
lovely episode =D

The front part of the episode .. when Akari dreamt she was a prima i almost fell for it xD hahas

Jan 3, 2010 10:57 AM

May 2009
Same here. I really thought Alicia was gone! T_T
Jan 15, 2010 7:54 PM

Jan 2009
meh...

Mar 10, 2010 8:59 PM

Oct 2008
HAVE A NICE DAY DESU~

I almost fell for it when Akari was a prima.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Mar 13, 2010 8:19 PM

Aug 2009
Son of a fucking gun look at that fucking animation. Now that's what you call great art. It was really suprising to see a huge improvement in Aria's animation from start up to now. I really love this new art, really really love it.

Few things I loved from this episode were:
1. Akari's dream in the beginning. That really caught me offguard as it made me think that it was real. I was like "Holy shit this is a huge time skip right here." at first but then Akari woke up, lol.
2. Alicia's past before Akari came to Aria company. She's still nice back then and even more nice now.
3. Akari and Alicia going to the campanile. The purpose of teaching a junior is that you can pass on wonderful things that you know to them.

Art was aaaaamazing but I just can't imagine Alicia leaving. It will just not feel the same if the 3 legendary water fairies are gone. From the looks of it, Alicia will leave and not come back forever after Akari becomes a prima. I hope Alicia and others stay! :(
Apr 21, 2010 8:12 PM

Sep 2009
Easily one of the best episodes yet. 10/10
Apr 23, 2010 7:11 AM

Apr 2009
Excellent. I wasn't expecting much out of the precursor to the Origination. Glad I was wrong.
The quality of the animation blew me away. I was fine with the Natural, but this is great.
The scenery during the Campanile part was exquisite.

Learning more about Alicia's dependence on Grandma then and experiencing her changes and bond with Akari now was divine.
mell4444Apr 23, 2010 7:15 AM
May 5, 2010 12:08 AM

Jul 2009
stAtic91 said:
Same here. I really thought Alicia was gone! T_T

I was thinking the same thing.
OMG.
Well I really enjoyed this OVA.
I like the new animations and a story about Alicia's past.
Campanile was quite beautiful :)
あらあら。。。^^
May 27, 2010 8:40 AM

Jun 2009
This OVA... makes me feel very melancholic and insecure for Akari... It impacted me quite a bit in the beginning...

Kinda knew Alicia would react the way she did ^_^, but it sure is hard to imagine Alicia acted the way she did until I actually saw it.

Dammit... I got a feeling that Origination might actually make me shed my first tear for anime... if the story goes the way it does...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 30, 2010 3:33 AM

Mar 2008
I cried.. it made me feel so emotional and melancholic i don't know..
;w;

the art was absolutely stunning and beautiful..
i really love aria.. i know that years from now i'll still rewatch and remember aria because everytime i watch it i just feel so happy & i can really forget all my sadness etc.

10/10 from me ;)

(have to admitt i'm gonna skip the second season and will just watch the last season first.. xD~)
Oct 16, 2010 9:10 AM

Aug 2008
I thought this ova would be boring like most ova's. Glad I was wrong.

Happy to hear Athena's song again.
Akira was very mature, like an old wise sage.
And boy did I fell in love with Alicia, the way she stood in front of Aria Company with a lamp and welcomed Akari. <33
Dec 12, 2010 9:26 PM

Nov 2007
OMG. This is one of the best OVAs I have seen in my life.

I was shocked to see Alicia-san gone at the beginning, but huge sigh of relief followed when Akari woke up from her dream.

And OMG x2 with the animation quality. Production I.G. at their very best. So this is the Neo-Venezia they see everyday! It was simply stunning, particularly when the two had an exquisite view from the top.

But now that I think about it, Alicia-san might just leave when the time comes and Akari becomes a Prima. It never struck me before but I am seriously not ready to see them apart. I seriously might let my tears flow if that would be the case in ORIGINATION.

An OVA Masterpiece. 10/10. as it left me awestruck and speechless, with the beauty of Neo-Venezia and the innocent bond they share between themselves, Alicia-san and Akari. :')

Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 13, 2010 2:09 PM

Nov 2007
No, this is not a double post. Decided to dedicate my 400th comment in MAL, although very little I know, to the sheer wonder I witnessed through ARIA. :)

Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 14, 2010 9:45 PM

May 2010
Am I the only one who reached out my hand at the screen when Alicia's hand was empty and wanted someone to hold her hand...?

Also did anyone laugh when Aika said

In my case, it's not just becoming Prima. I have all of Himeya to carry on! All you are burden with is President Aria ~ Aika
ConfuciusJun 16, 2011 12:01 AM
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Dec 21, 2010 12:39 AM

May 2008
I love the fact that just about everyone we met in the three seasons of "Aria" gets a cameo in this episode. Granted, we see everyone at the end of "Origination", in a way, this was kind of a curtain call for the characters we've come to know and love.
[font="TwitterChirp, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, \"Segoe UI\", Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]My Prostate is NOT the size of a lemon. [/font]
Jan 25, 2011 10:40 AM

Nov 2008
Well, this was better than the series.... maybe because Aria president's presence was forgettable this time, and there's a little improvement in the animation.
Nice music as well.
Mar 14, 2011 11:37 PM

Aug 2008
Never thought I'd say this about a 1 ep OVA, but that was amazing 10/10.
Apr 26, 2011 2:44 AM

Feb 2011
stAtic91 said:
I really thought Alicia was gone! T_T

thankness akari woke up from her dream ^^
can't imagine aria without alicia..

one of the best ova ever
superb quality of animation too :)
10/10
Jun 15, 2011 5:09 PM

Jan 2009
I kinda wonder where Alicia will go after Akari becomes a Prima. Isn't she a bit too young to leave? I don't think Akari will take 30 years to reach her goal xD
Jul 8, 2011 9:31 PM

Jan 2009
Well it's been awhile since I finished the show and I thought this took place after Origination for some unknown reason. So the beginning of the episode was quite sad. Still loved every minute of it, Aria is so amazing.
Aug 4, 2011 11:57 PM
Jul 2011
I just post layouts from Arietta in my picasa gallery.
I worked on this anime project in the summer 2007. Tight schedule but it was nice to draw Venice.
Please have a look!

https://picasaweb.google.com/104379489189811288070/2007_AriaOVA_Layouts?authkey=Gv1sRgCLOzzOmOi8fEkwE#
Sep 16, 2011 7:46 PM

Dec 2010
I've watched this a lot of times and I'll never bore of it. Everything about Aria is fantastic, and this episode provided for a lovely interaction between Akari and Alicia. I just loved the ending, in particular. <3
Nov 19, 2011 5:38 PM

Aug 2010
Confucius said:
Am I the only one who reached out my hand at the screen when Alicia's hand was empty and wanted someone to hold her hand...?

You are not alone :3
Nov 20, 2011 8:17 PM
Feb 2011
More improvement to Aria's storytelling. Wonderful. I was honestly pissed off by the first season, but things are improving. ^^

Akatsuki. Is. Totally. Awesome. This guy kept me going through the first season, and is only establishing himself as more and more awesome the more I watch the show.

Akari x Akatsuki! I can see it!
Feb 19, 2012 2:20 PM

Oct 2009
Of course, it's very good that the quality of the animation is better, but, sometimes, the faces are drawn SO AWKWARD, that BWAH! 4/5, 8/10.
あらあら。。。
Sep 6, 2012 9:15 PM

Feb 2012
A slightly different artstyle, but still of good quality. But yes, this should definitely not be missed. It gives some important development to Alicia and fleshes out the mentor and apprentice relationship of the Aria company undines. I've always thought there was more chesmisty and scenes between Aika/Akira and Alice/Athena in the three TV-series, so this is absolutely delightful to see.

It is very nice to hear Alicia talk about herself to Akari. It makes the two seem even more close. Alas, Alicia is keeping the secret of why she chose Akari to be her apprentice.
Sep 8, 2012 1:33 PM

Sep 2012
It's foreshadowing some pretty sad moment for the third season...
MaedhrostheTall said:

Akari x Akatsuki! I can see it!

I want it !
Dec 10, 2012 9:17 AM

Dec 2010
ThomasRomain said:
I just post layouts from Arietta in my picasa gallery.
I worked on this anime project in the summer 2007. Tight schedule but it was nice to draw Venice.
Please have a look!

https://picasaweb.google.com/104379489189811288070/2007_AriaOVA_Layouts?authkey=Gv1sRgCLOzzOmOi8fEkwE#

Wow, was that really you? If so, great work!
Jan 6, 2013 2:13 AM

May 2012
Lovely OVA! This story makes the global story of Aria stronger as the back story given was sweet and heartwarming! Really nice and fitting! Up to the last season: Aria the Origination! 8/10
May 9, 2013 10:58 AM

Aug 2008
This episode got me right in the feels. Jfc.

Akira was badass as usual. Her with short hair= more perf and unff than usual too.

Just when I thought that this episode could not get any more adorable or heart felt. Alicia just had to hold out her hand to Akari. And then Akari just had to link arms with Alicia. Ughhh. So. Fucking. Cute. I can't..

Also; the couple pettin' President Aria's podgy belly, l o l. I love this shit. I'm gunna be so gutted when it ends. :<<

And Aika's short hair, ugh so cute too. So many cute feels.

10000/10
Aug 16, 2013 2:27 AM

Aug 2010
Definitely one of the best episodes of the Aria franchise so far, not to mention as far as OVAs go in general.

The dream captured the essence of the anxiety connected to the inevitable eventual departure of people who know each other (including, but not limited to, the greatest extent: passing away) and since Akari-chan has traveled through time before, I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up getting a short-haired apprentice and having Ai-chan living with her. This also serves very well to illustrate how we sometimes remember a distant memory and realize how much time in between that particular moment and the now has passed, while we remained the same (or changed). Oh the brilliance of Aria served in a relaxing and heartwarming package.

The subtext seemed to be cranked up a notch too, not that I mind, I just don't recall it being so strongly present in the first season (Natural added a bit I think). 9/10.

And that concludes my Aria summer of 2013, the good weather is expected to leave my country and I can only enjoy Aria fully when it's blazing outside and I can recall many sweet memories of delightful encounters. One more season to go next year, looking forward it!
Mogami-kunAug 16, 2013 2:30 AM
Aug 17, 2013 5:39 AM

May 2012
Saw this ages ago and still recalls that this is one of the best episodes :3 An OVA usually never matches the series but this is an exception :) I like how Akari leans over to Alicia in the end...it's such a close friendship C:

Sep 8, 2013 4:54 PM

Dec 2012
Ah I was so sad at the start, I really believed Akari was a prima and was like "oh..damn was I supposed to watch Origination first?" Well one day for sure, hopefully with Alicia there as well.

The character designs seemed more refined this time around, they were all so gorgeous. The scenery was stunning as well, Neo Venezia is so beautiful.

Heh, Akatsuki claims he's an Alicia fan but I think he has a soft spot for those pig-tails. The flashback was interesting as well, really good story about passing down the torch. The ending scene with Akari and Alicia in the Campanile was brilliant and just so wonderful, seriously felt like I was going to form a river with my eyes. Their bond is just so close and beautifully portrayed.

This was definitely worth not passing up, 9/10 from me.
Apr 11, 2014 8:21 AM
Apr 2014
It's nice seeing bits of Alicia's past, how she didn't want Grandma to leave and her lack of confidence teaching an apprentice, it shows a more human side to her and it's pretty refreshing.
Also, if Grandma leaves just after Alicia became a Prima, along with the dream that Alicia's gone after Akari is already a Prima, it seems that Aria Company has the tradition of 'passing the torch'.

But overall, I liked how it emphasizes the relation between Akari and Alicia.
May 22, 2014 9:42 AM

May 2013
Such a nice, calming OVA <3
Oct 15, 2014 1:56 PM

Dec 2013
Don't give me heart attacks like this anymore .. I thought Akira aslo cut her hair.
Well, this was very good. I thought I won't like it because my favourite characters are only supporting here, but it was awesome. Best Aria so far, full 7/10.
Jan 14, 2015 7:38 AM

May 2010
Art and animation quality improved a good deal, I see. I love the new facial designs a lot. Some new things yet still the same lovable Aria.

And Akatsuki complimented Akari for once, yay for my otp.

Aika's hair was always done creatively, gotta love that.

So Athena knew that song a long time ago. And here I thought she learnt it for Alice's sake..

I can't believe Akari arrived asleep xD

The last 5 minutes were adorable, loved all of that. Aria shachou has become really cute, too. This made this already lovable anime even more amazing. One can only imagine how amazing Origination is going to be after watching all this.
Jun 2, 2015 9:14 PM

Nov 2010
Just Watched it for the third time.
still beautiful as ever. <3
Sep 2, 2015 2:40 AM

Apr 2013
Am I the only one who thought this would be an OVA about a girl named Arietta who worked at Aria Company before Akari arrived? I feel pretty dumb. Anyways, I still enjoyed it. 9/10
Nov 10, 2015 10:51 AM
Nov 2014
Damn, that was a great OVA. I have so many respect for Alicia, she is my favourite Aria character.
Jun 5, 2016 11:44 PM

Apr 2009
Watching this while drinking a cup of tea.

Ara~ Ara~
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 24, 2016 6:25 PM

May 2016
Man, Aria you just keep on surpassing my expectations. One of the best episodes in all aspects in my opinion, topping Natural in production quality. Everything was enjoyable. Definitely happy I watched this and glad they made the OVA 30 minutes long. Good pacing as a result.

Just amazing. I'm not ready for Origination... I'm going to have to put that off.
Jan 6, 2017 7:26 PM

Apr 2016
Is anyone else still *REALLY* curious about how/why Alicia selected Akari to be her apprentice? That "naisho" is killing me...
Jan 7, 2017 6:33 AM

Feb 2013
I love Athena's song.
Sweet episode overall.
Apr 27, 2017 7:52 AM

Oct 2012
Awwwww, that was really cute ending!
Even Alicia is scared and unsure back then

Arrivederci
See you in Origination!
"Signature removed"
Jul 6, 2017 10:07 PM

Feb 2016
I think the score can be quite different depending on whether you watched the OVA before origination or after. I happened to watch this after origination. So I think it enhanced the episode as a result, I personally think the OVA would've been better placed after origination, as it had a heavier emotional impact. If you watch this before origination and having never read the manga, then when Alicia finally leaves in the final arc it doesn't nearly carry enough emotional weighting and the viewer can almost immediately see it coming being the final arc.

I haven't added a 10/10 to completed for a very long time, this was by far the best OVA I've seen and I have never made that claim before. I will actually give this a higher score than origination because I cannot fault it, it didn't have a flop episode like in the series. It took the best out of Aria, condensed it and refined the usual character gags to an elegantly minimal touch, everything we love about Aria. Then it lavishly laid it out as a bittersweet episode. That fine balance between optimism mixed with melancholy. That's what made Aria the fairy queen of standard moefare.

There is no better episode that best encapsulated Aria than this OVA.
Cloud_IllusionJul 6, 2017 10:14 PM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Sep 10, 2017 5:21 AM

Nov 2016
Inb4 the feels, when Akari is going to become a Prima and senpai herself.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 19, 2017 4:09 PM

Aug 2015
Fantastic episode and probably one of the best of the series for now, although I wanted to see more about alicia past..

When the episode started I though I clicked in the wrong one but thank god it was just a dream, no more Alicia would be painfull. Didn´t understand how akari got to aria company, the first shot we have is akari sleeping in her gondola near aria company.

9/10
Nov 8, 2017 12:52 AM

Aug 2014
Super impressed with the upgraded visuals. Greatly boosted the already very atmospheric show while also giving some much needed depth to characters' expressions (god damn those eyes were doing most of the work during dialogue). I'm even more surprised seeing President Aria being actually useful for a change by "participating" the Aria Company's work. I mean, what more can you ask for?

Best episode so far. This got me very excited to see the next season. This is how you do an OVA.

Aug 28, 2019 10:47 AM
Apr 2018
Great OVA, fitting for a great serie. I have a Stupid question tho.... maybe I missed something important somewhere along the way... who's Arietta? Lol or why is it call Arietta? (If it's not a person lol)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Aria the OVA ~Arietta~

OriginalName - Sep 14, 2007

12 by the_muteKi »»
Aug 30, 2009 8:54 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.