Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 5, 2013 1:05 PM

Nov 2011
Didn't we understand that each of the characters are broken people? We got it before this entire episode. The time could have been better spent...
Jul 15, 2013 9:33 PM

Jul 2008
Ok after watching NGE for the 2nd time, I found out that this isn't as deep as I thought. It's just a long long long long recap of what we already know of the characters' past and the breakdown of their mentality.

To summarize the whole episode in one line, all of our main characters wants attention!
Jul 25, 2013 5:22 PM

Jun 2013
I knew what to expect. And it wasn't better than that. Good thing there's EoE to make up for the faults of episode 25 and 26.
Aug 11, 2013 3:50 PM

Oct 2009
There goes the budget...

Though, thought provoking.
Aug 13, 2013 5:55 AM

Jan 2013
Probably the most strangest episode of the whole series.
I did not understand anything,everything was so confuse....
Very strange.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Aug 14, 2013 1:05 PM

Jul 2013
It was certainly interesting ... unnecessary though really. It didn't do much ... like advance the plot particularly.
Sep 23, 2013 11:12 AM

Feb 2013
Lang said:
Ok after watching NGE for the 2nd time, I found out that this isn't as deep as I thought. It's just a long long long long recap of what we already know of the characters' past and the breakdown of their mentality.

To summarize the whole episode in one line, all of our main characters wants attention!
ahh that makes sense
Oct 20, 2013 10:45 AM
Jul 2018
eshirou said:
This episode is strange >.> totally mindf*ck O_o

...i didint understand about 70-80% or so...and my head hurt's now when i finished watching it...

LOL This so much.
What the hell did I just watch? o_O
Nov 1, 2013 10:53 PM

Oct 2013
Gave me a head-ache on the flashing XD
Nov 2, 2013 8:30 PM

Nov 2012
Gainax Ending indeed...

At least my curiosity was satisfied with this series as to how it became popular.

Now, onto the real treat: the movies!

Want some free EN TL light novels? Take a look at my loot...→Missing out on an Anime OP/ED? Check the complete collection here...→
Dec 17, 2013 12:03 PM

Dec 2012
I kinda wish more episodes had been like this. Not all mind you, but a couple more... Good stuff.
Dec 23, 2013 10:02 PM

Aug 2007
I'm actually very fond of these types of episodes in anime.
It reminds me to think critically and reflect on how humans act as a whole and individually.
Why are we the way we are? What is the true reality if we each have different versions of what we experience in the same event? What is the meaning of life? How do we handle such heavy question everyday and what is our escape? What do we live for and why?

From what I got from this whole series, it pushes you to connect with the characters -- even though they have much more "important" roles in the world -- because they are very real. If you've ever been through something traumatizing, you can understand them even more.

Dec 28, 2013 8:04 PM

Jan 2013
Throughout this whole series I've pretty much disliked Asuka but this last episode has really changed my opinion about her. I relate so much to her or at least what she was saying in this episode that I feel like I can understand her a lot better now. Everything she said in her part of this episode I know and I have felt (other than the actual family business that she's seen) the mental stuff that she has gone through.

I'm honestly glad this was here, there is something really wrong going on in the world here.
Dec 30, 2013 6:29 PM

Feb 2012
First episode of the show I didn't like.
Feb 19, 2014 1:24 AM

Aug 2013
Lang said:

Now I understand! :D
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Mar 5, 2014 3:36 PM

Mar 2013
No this is weak no matter how you spin it, sorry. This is a failure as a Gundam mecha anime, and a failure of a psychological anime.
Mar 13, 2014 5:43 PM
Mar 2010
Although I thought this episode made some interesting points, it pretty much felt like a presentation of psychoanalytics. Now I'm not saying that the psychology was bad, in fact I've enjoyed those parts in the anime a lot, yet this felt like a recap. Most of these points had already been addressed in previous episodes.
Mar 16, 2014 8:45 PM

Jul 2012
Well that was depressing

This show is officially going on my to-rewatch-to-understand-it-better list.
Mar 30, 2014 6:30 PM

Dec 2012
I won't claim to understand everything that occurred in this episode, but I like how they explored the inner struggles of Misato, Asuka, and Shinji. The theme of abandonment and loneliness is common throughout all 3. Looking forward to watching the next episode and finally finishing the show that took me a decade to watch.
Apr 6, 2014 7:54 AM

Apr 2012
All this is good for really is that it explained Instrumentality. Though not how it suddenly began, or what Seele and Gendo's intentions were.

We've already (mostly) broken down the characters to these levels over the course of the series. Even considering they ran out of budget, it's really unsatisfying. Oddly they showed fragments of what would be scenes in EoE in this and the trailers of ep 24 (DC) etc (odd they gave the On Air / Director's Cut versions different trailers too).

The Platinum edition commentaries say the whole series is actually a flashback occurring during 25-26 - I don't actually see any evidence of this? (In the show at least)
Apr 25, 2014 6:12 AM
Apr 2014
I found this to be a provoking journey into the psyche of several different character archetypes, which is further compounded by the childhood tragedies of each.

The abstract style of symbolism is great. The imagery seems to me like a twilight time-lapse of all the reoccurring objects that coincided with chapter titles, landmark scenes in character development, etc throughout the entire series.

If I hadn't found the dialogue to be so poignant, I might have been bored with apparent randomness and the fast-paced synopsis style.

IMO this is art. Also after all the tragedy, now core psychological issues are at least acknowledged, so I'm not worried it'll end with my soul in too many pieces -- a natural sense of closure seems possible :)
May 17, 2014 12:53 AM

May 2014
This episode did literally nothing to contribute to the story. What they did in this one was just flat out tell characteristics about characters that we've already figured out in previous episodes. Like we all know Misato was a whore, Rei was emotionless, Asuka always wanted praise from others. AND WE ALL CERTAINLY KNEW THAT
SHINJI. IS. A. BITCH.
"You either die an Ashita no Joe, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Naruto."
Jun 15, 2014 4:55 PM
Jan 2011
What the heck has this discussion section turned into?? I am personally in the camp who actually LOVED episode 25. Many people think this episode was filler, but that couldnt be further from the truth. The first 24 episodes were the filler. All to prepare for Anno to do what he did here.

Though episode 24 is widely considered as one of the greatest anime episodes in the entire medium, I couldn't disagree more. Riddled with tropes, it introduced the 5th child, only to kill him off at the end. But nonetheless, the episode did its job: Getting us to episode 25.

In Episode 25, Anno reverts back to his roots to perform a complete breakdown of the characters that we have all come to know and love. Everything that has happened up to this point has just been to prepare the characters for the breakdown they experience here.

But the key to understanding and enjoying episode 25 comes in knowing Anno's plight itself. Now I am sure pretty much anyone commenting here, or any fan of Evangelion in general, should know the story behind the creation of this show. For those who don't, it was because of Anno's previous work, "Nadia, Secret of Blue Water" and what his studio did to it. Look at each of the characters in this show. Each are an aspect of himself. All the case studies done, are case studies of himself. Anno makes anime because its what he is told to do (Shinji). He wants recognition from his peers (Asuka). But he has lost his soul, his humanity and is just one of many (Rei). Though he still wants to be loved, to be recognized, because there is still a sliver of hope left (Misato). The 5th Child represents the show he loved (Nadia), but was powerless to save, and its killer is none other than Gendo, the gruesome human form of his studio, Gainax.

Gainax was the one who forced Anno to make Anime, as Gendo was the one who forced Shinji inside the Eva. He was not the one who wanted to, but as episode 23 showed, the cogs would keep moving without him, with Gendo, or Gainax, fully willing to take advantage of other wheels in the cog in Anno's absence. And even though he wanted to leave, Anno was forced to come back, as he was the only one who could achieve that 400% synchronization with his (Anime) creation, as Shinji did with the Eva. If Anno left, the project would still be tackled. But it would be imperfect. Because he wasn't there. Because Eva 01 was not in the fight.

This is why I dont like things like the Evangelion store or Evangelion goods. These are not characters meant to be on shirts. The media takes these characters at face value, taking advantage of Anno's depression for profit and monetizing the pieces that make up his personality. While I think that it's great that people have made a store to display their love for the show, having and wearing an Asuka shirt that says "Anta Baka" couldn't be any more insulting to the character and her creator.

Fans love to disregard this and episode 26, and I think doing so is a grave grave mistake. Even if it was budget cuts, this is not just psycho babble. THIS is Evangelion.
Jun 23, 2014 9:24 AM

Jan 2014
Amazing episode, really memorable. It summarizes whole series and finally explains about characters.
Jun 26, 2014 12:06 AM

Jun 2013
This episode was weird. Everything that was going on in this episode was in Shinji's head. Shinji has to decide between his fantasy world or reality. He created a world in his mind to escape from reality, which means that Shinji has officially gone insane. Next episode is the end, so hopefully it explains a bit more.
Jul 4, 2014 11:22 PM

Aug 2013
callmetheBigD said:

In Episode 25, Anno reverts back to his roots to perform a complete breakdown of the characters that we have all come to know and love. Everything that has happened up to this point has just been to prepare the characters for the breakdown they experience here.

But the key to understanding and enjoying episode 25 comes in knowing Anno's plight itself.

This is interesting and provides another point to the debate on this episode. The only thing I will comment is that, while Anno may not have enjoyed having to make this a studio DOES have to make money to stay in business so I wouldn't condemn someone for "disrespecting the creator". Some of the best art comes from depression.

Overall, I really liked this episode, even though we've already learned about our characters' afflictions. It was nice to have it all lumped together incase someone missed it.
Jul 12, 2014 9:14 PM
Oct 2011
This episode has foreshadowing of the movies down the road, but if you haven’t seen the movies a lot of this just goes unnoticed, and is just written off as part of Shinji’s depression. I can understand why a lot of people did not like this two part ending to the TV series because it leaves you with almost no clue as to what the instrumentality going on really is. While End Of Eva makes it much more enjoyable and therefore understandable we really should not have to watch said extra material in order to enjoy said show.
Jul 27, 2014 9:43 PM

Jul 2014
the fear of being alone
Aug 21, 2014 4:40 PM

Oct 2009
this episode is great. i get that it's confusing the first time but since it explains one of the greater parts of the story i really don't understand that people label this as "psycho babble" or "filler". this is what evangelion is all about.

particularly great concidering this is what they did/had to do instead of end of eva.
AuroraeAug 21, 2014 4:44 PM
Oct 4, 2014 8:19 PM
Jan 2011
derelictparadise said:
callmetheBigD said:

But the key to understanding and enjoying episode 25 comes in knowing Anno's plight itself.

This is interesting and provides another point to the debate on this episode. The only thing I will comment is that, while Anno may not have enjoyed having to make this a studio DOES have to make money to stay in business so I wouldn't condemn someone for "disrespecting the creator". Some of the best art comes from depression.

Overall, I really liked this episode, even though we've already learned about our characters' afflictions. It was nice to have it all lumped together incase someone missed it.

I definitely agree with you here. Seeing the breakdown in the final two episodes was a needed change and I thought it was a great way to really see the faces of not only the animator, but the characters themselves. I also am not condemning anyone for disrespecting the creator, but rather pointing to the merchandising that is done of this show, and how Anno might have felt when the studio started making shirts and figurines. The studio just so happened upon probably the biggest merchandising goldmine outside of pokemon, and from a business perspective, should not see any reason to stop. But my honest opinion is that he wasn't really making this for anyone, but rather just for himself. I thought looking at it from this particular perspective was interesting.
Nov 28, 2014 4:49 PM

Jul 2014
WTF? Psychological much?
Dec 9, 2014 3:29 PM

Nov 2013
I actually liked this episode, pretty thorough breakdown of the characters. I'm not sure about the method though, I can't tell if they did it like this because they ran out of budget and had to shoehorn it all into one episode in a straightforward manner or they genuinely wanted to do this lol.

The first 2/3 of this series feels very different to the final third. No comic relief, heavy symbolism, characters getting completely broken and explored to their deepest levels. Heck thinking about it, the first half feels designed to draw people in and get them comfy with some of the issues characters are dealing with and then... mindfuck them in the final 6 episodes.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Dec 31, 2014 12:51 PM

Aug 2013
Nice episode but goddamn repetitive. A lot of the things they explained was repeated from before and was just... slightly annoying. I guess Anno decided to fully psychologically put himself out into these characters. Great psychological analysis but an obvious amount of psychobabble but that's probably because he's just exposing himself through these character's and doesn't really know much about psychology aside from deductions he made from himself (probably).

I don't see how anybody cannot relate to this though. It's explaining different forms of the fear of being alone. That's something almost all people have in their core. I preferred seeing how the different characters dealt with their more severe form of that fear (due to past trauma's) but I suppose this is nice as well.
Rei Ayanami is definitely the most interesting. All the other's are practically carbon copies of each other with varying pasts and differing ways of dealing with their past trauma. Rei Ayanami isn't like that... I think. I don't understand her very well. When she talks about the entire ceasing to exist if she is replaced, is she referring to her existence being forgotten (or rather misplaced) because everybody will think the new clone Rei was always the real Rei meaning that nobody would remember or know of the existence of the old Rei? I don't feel as though they've explained her much in this episode (considering how that dependence on others is a universal thing and had so much psychobabble that it ended up taking up a bunch of her analysis).

This is my first viewing... I need to rewatch this anime later. It's a lot easier to understand than Utena. It's a lot more basic although it pretends to be a lot more complicated.
Psychobabble does make this unnecessarily harder to understand and drawn out.

I really do not understand that "this is Shinji's world" and "This is the me inside of you while simultaneously being the you inside of me". I understand that it's the human instrumentality program but it feels as though its more than that. I suppose if I understood everything on my first go NGE wouldn't be as interesting as it is, even though it is pretty pretentious, repetitive and has unnecessary psychobabble.
Saffron_entityDec 31, 2014 1:03 PM
[/url]
Seven-Coloured Puppeteer.
Jan 6, 2015 12:13 PM

Jan 2013
This literally raped me mental wise.. Pretty much the same things all over again but overly complicated, unneeded stuff. Onto the final episode. hope it wont be like this one
Jan 9, 2015 12:18 AM

Nov 2013
Boy do I remember these last two episodes. Complete and utter mind rape.

Feb 14, 2015 12:31 PM
Dec 2013
callmetheBigD said:
What the heck has this discussion section turned into?? I am personally in the camp who actually LOVED episode 25. Many people think this episode was filler, but that couldnt be further from the truth. The first 24 episodes were the filler. All to prepare for Anno to do what he did here.

Though episode 24 is widely considered as one of the greatest anime episodes in the entire medium, I couldn't disagree more. Riddled with tropes, it introduced the 5th child, only to kill him off at the end. But nonetheless, the episode did its job: Getting us to episode 25.

But the key to understanding and enjoying episode 25 comes in knowing Anno's plight itself. Now I am sure pretty much anyone commenting here, or any fan of Evangelion in general, should know the story behind the creation of this show. For those who don't, it was because of Anno's previous work, "Nadia, Secret of Blue Water" and what his studio did to it. Look at each of the characters in this show. Each are an aspect of himself. All the case studies done, are case studies of himself. Anno makes anime because its what he is told to do (Shinji). He wants recognition from his peers (Asuka). But he has lost his soul, his humanity and is just one of many (Rei). Though he still wants to be loved, to be recognized, because there is still a sliver of hope left (Misato). The 5th Child represents the show he loved (Nadia), but was powerless to save, and its killer is none other than Gendo, the gruesome human form of his studio, Gainax.

Gainax was the one who forced Anno to make Anime, as Gendo was the one who forced Shinji inside the Eva. He was not the one who wanted to, but as episode 23 showed, the cogs would keep moving without him, with Gendo, or Gainax, fully willing to take advantage of other wheels in the cog in Anno's absence. And even though he wanted to leave, Anno was forced to come back, as he was the only one who could achieve that 400% synchronization with his (Anime) creation, as Shinji did with the Eva. If Anno left, the project would still be tackled. But it would be imperfect. Because he wasn't there. Because Eva 01 was not in the fight.

This is why I dont like things like the Evangelion store or Evangelion goods. These are not characters meant to be on shirts. The media takes these characters at face value, taking advantage of Anno's depression for profit and monetizing the pieces that make up his personality. While I think that it's great that people have made a store to display their love for the show, having and wearing an Asuka shirt that says "Anta Baka" couldn't be any more insulting to the character and her creator.

Fans love to disregard this and episode 26, and I think doing so is a grave grave mistake. Even if it was budget cuts, this is not just psycho babble. THIS is Evangelion.

its clear that you care about this series

but damm this episode was garbage maybe its just 2deep4me
So far this anime was good (not the masterpiece many people think) but this is just bad

Hopefully the movie will provide some answers
Mar 10, 2015 7:09 PM

Nov 2012
This wouldn't have been a bad episode at all had the series reserve a bit of room within the episode to answer some questions I have been waiting to address. It was a fairly dry episode that was a bit too monotone. Now, I loved the psychological aspect of the show which is why I enjoy watching it to this point, but I don't see how this will lead to a solid and conclusive final episode of the series. Hopefully, it's nothing that will drive me disappointed.
Mar 25, 2015 12:14 AM
Jul 2018
Should I watch the movies? In what order? This finale is mediocre, but maybe the movies could add something to the series.
Mar 25, 2015 12:17 AM

Aug 2014
Saturn19 said:
Should I watch the movies? In what order? This finale is mediocre, but maybe the movies could add something to the series.

Just watch End of Evangelion and you're set, but imo the ending isn't that great
Apr 30, 2015 1:50 PM
Nov 2014
My mind got fucked in the last few episodes but this one was the one that fucked my mind the most. So many great psychological aspects dumped right into my already fucked mind. One of the most mind fucking episodes I have ever watched lol.
May 11, 2015 4:26 PM

Feb 2015
2deep4me
Maximum Honking
May 11, 2015 4:35 PM

May 2015
I wanna drink some Tang
Jun 1, 2015 1:28 PM

Jan 2013
callmetheBigD said:

Great explanation, I remember watching this episode 2 years back for the first time, and like many others, it just seemed like they were complaining about their issues. (which we already knew about)
I actually havent heard of this before so it's definitely interesting.

I think this is a great episode, even if these 2 final episodes arent considered "the ending"

Also we get a confirmation about the Human Instrumentality Project, what it's supposed to be and what the purpose is - which is a plus.
PrOxAntoJun 1, 2015 1:41 PM
Jul 5, 2015 7:20 PM

Dec 2011
Well, it was nice to have Shinji's introspection.
Jul 8, 2015 5:47 PM

Sep 2014
I Can''t Get You Outta My Head! Ep 25.

Plot:Psyche analysis of four principal characters: Shinji, Misato, Rei, and Asuka. All have there reasons.
All have their faults.
Their fears.
Their desires.
They want you to look at them.
To know the real them.
To love them.
To not abandon them.

Can you? Can they?

5/5. I love the analysis and it hits home to the overarching theme of Eva and the point of Instrumentality.

So...what do you want?

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Jul 12, 2015 10:16 AM

Dec 2009
Like, everyone being judged for being human? This was cringe worthy. Hopefully the next episode isn't more of the same.
Such junk...
Jul 12, 2015 3:29 PM

Jan 2014
This was pretty cool. That is reality, indeed ^-^
Jul 18, 2015 5:37 PM

Sep 2014
Well apparently there is a dark space in everyone's mind they're trying to fill by doing things they like, this is how great accomplishments are made. In the end nobody can fill this hole for some unexplained reason. And NERV's plan is to combine everyone into one being to somehow fill that hole. WHAT? Wouldn't that be counter intuitive and just make a bigger hole? Maybe i got it wrong because it was a somewhat confusing episode but from what i took in, it didn't make sense.

Oh yeah i mostly thought this episode was pointless not because i didn't understand, but because they filled it with explanations on the motives of the characters and backstory instead of working it out for ourselves, it's something that is done in many anime but this is one of the last ones i would expect it from. I feel that was a quite insulting and lazy choice made by the director.
Jul 18, 2015 7:47 PM
Oct 2011
Reathonax said:
Well apparently there is a dark space in everyone's mind they're trying to fill by doing things they like, this is how great accomplishments are made. In the end nobody can fill this hole for some unexplained reason. And NERV's plan is to combine everyone into one being to somehow fill that hole. WHAT? Wouldn't that be counter intuitive and just make a bigger hole? Maybe i got it wrong because it was a somewhat confusing episode but from what i took in, it didn't make sense.

Oh yeah i mostly thought this episode was pointless not because i didn't understand, but because they filled it with explanations on the motives of the characters and backstory instead of working it out for ourselves, it's something that is done in many anime but this is one of the last ones i would expect it from. I feel that was a quite insulting and lazy choice made by the director.

Three Words: Out of money.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

813 by BitBitt »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

343 by sailorneptunelvr »»
May 15, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 13, 2007

195 by sailorneptunelvr »»
May 15, 12:04 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

188 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
May 8, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

152 by sailorneptunelvr »»
May 8, 12:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.