Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Higurashi When They Cry: Dice Killing Arc
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Mar 12, 2010 11:09 AM

Aug 2008
wow, i'm so glad that she chosen that world. after that episode im even huger lover of rika, rena and hanyuu.
and i must watch now umineko to know more and more =d
Mar 12, 2010 11:39 AM

Jul 2009
janeify said:
wow, i'm so glad that she chosen that world. after that episode im even huger lover of rika, rena and hanyuu.

Little spoiler about Umineko - you'll not know more than you know now until you'll play in VN =)
Mar 12, 2010 5:47 PM

Jun 2009
Is the game that much different than the show, in respect to Higurashi, not Umineko? And, is like a ton of stuff not revealed in the anime that is revealed in the game?
Mar 15, 2010 8:02 AM

Aug 2008
Kenaya said:
janeify said:

Little spoiler about Umineko - you'll not know more than you know now until you'll play in VN =)

T__T haha.
i hoped that something more will be explained,
Mar 19, 2010 5:23 AM

Jun 2009
For a fan of good dialog like me, this episode was probably one of the best higurashi episodes I've seen. Good stuff.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 21, 2010 3:14 PM
Mar 2010
So wait, who exactly is Bernkastel? I'm still a bit confused
Mar 22, 2010 5:08 PM

Jun 2009
DarkGoddess said:

a character from Umineko, highly suspected to be Rika.

Fredrika Bernkastel

Fredrika = Furude Rika.

If you read Furude fast, you'll get a slight fred and add rika at the back.

Though I don't think Rika is Fredrika, I think Fredrika is sort of a alternate Rika witch or something.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 27, 2010 11:31 AM

Jun 2009
I thought Umineko was just an alternate setting based on the same type of mystery horror plot as Higurashi, so wouldn't most characters from Higurashi have equals in Umineko not just Rika, or am I incorrect?
Apr 1, 2010 9:47 AM

Sep 2008

in a way Bern is Rika but she is also...not...thats hard to explain

I thought Umineko was just an alternate setting based on the same type of mystery horror plot as Higurashi, so wouldn't most characters from Higurashi have equals in Umineko not just Rika, or am I incorrect?

yes you are wrong ^ ^

Is the game that much different than the show, in respect to Higurashi, not Umineko? And, is like a ton of stuff not revealed in the anime that is revealed in the game?

well, in Umineko anime theres like...none hints regarding Higurashi, while theres a lot of them scatterred around in Umineko Visual Novel
Apr 4, 2010 5:47 PM

Sep 2008
no, you are wrong. she existed all the way, they even met in Minagoroshi, she was a different entity from a long before Rei...its just that in Rei Rika rejected her as a part of herself
Apr 5, 2010 6:29 AM

Jun 2009
Lol, ok. Not the first time I have been wrong by a long shot, heh. Now I know I got more of a unique series to watch, too :).
Apr 20, 2010 12:00 PM
Jan 2010
As Bernkastel has no relation to this anime, it felt like Rika was just namedropping there.
Apr 26, 2010 10:47 AM

Feb 2010
Bernkastel confused me (never played the games) ^^
But besides that a rather good episode, I loved the dialogue between Rena and Rika!
I probably regret this post by now.
May 1, 2010 1:58 AM

Jan 2010
So it was just a dream... I kind of dislike that way of telling a story. They make you all excited/scared/emotional/whatever and then they tell you it was all nothing...
May 2, 2010 1:48 AM

Jan 2010
whew...she made the right decision yay :D

i couldn't stand that world :)

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jul 4, 2010 10:54 AM

Dec 2009
So in the end it was all a dream , Hanyuu seems to have a lot of hidden powers...
Jul 11, 2010 1:43 AM

Mar 2010
So she did kill her mother..I could see that coming.Also, Hanyuu's past was really interesting!
Aug 26, 2010 2:57 AM

Jan 2008
I don't blame Hanyuu for getting mad at Rika.

werr-y said:
So it was just a dream... I kind of dislike that way of telling a story. They make you all excited/scared/emotional/whatever and then they tell you it was all nothing...

Agreed.
Sep 14, 2010 6:14 PM

Aug 2010
oh my gosh, I would be so pissed off at Hanyuu if I were Rika. Even though Hanyuu was trying to make a point and succeeded, her idea of making a world where she has to choose between her old life and her mother is pretty messed up.
Sep 16, 2010 9:19 PM

Sep 2010
Pretty good ending to the main story.... it is better if the whole series was not rushed..... i was hoping for a 24/26 epi. tv series...... like s1 and kai....
Sep 18, 2010 7:53 AM

Jan 2010
I think I squealed when I saw Irie.
Oct 14, 2010 9:37 PM
Jul 2018
I liked this arc. It really tied up ALL loose ends for Rika...

5/5 and now on to the fanservice and LAST higurashi ep of all time :(:(
Oct 25, 2010 4:17 PM

Jun 2009
Okay lots of things happened in this ep, but I always knew the other world was better, yes everybody had their perfect life so what's the point then? what I think life is for is to make your dreams come true but if your life is already perfect there is no point...anyways I understand myself.

Well I guess I would have to see umeniko after this, even thought it doesn't look so atractive to my eyes but I guess it will explain (I just saw so much spoiler) that now I know I have to see it.
Nov 30, 2010 3:41 PM

Jul 2009
I didn't like the end of this arc much, the whole thing felt a bit rushed really.
Dec 4, 2010 11:22 PM

Sep 2010
Schrodinger's cat? o.O the uncertainty factor of quantum mechanics?

anyways despite being rushed, the resolution can pass as acceptable. Rika learned to be grateful of this world and never look back at the past.

Though I hate it when the stereotypical "dream" is used...

Dec 5, 2010 9:07 AM

Aug 2010
This episode was kind of disappointing but eh it was needed for plot development.
Jan 2, 2011 12:45 AM

Dec 2008
While I was looking forward to a dramatic episode of decision making and worrying for Rika and a murderous Rika, I am very content with how this episode turned out regardless. It was very dialogue heavy, but I enjoyed it immensely.

I like some of the theories and thoughts presented here as to the dream or maybe not a dream world thing. My gut and feelings want to believe it was a real world, but of course it doesn't matter now that she's back in the original world. But Hanyuu created the world as a reminder for Rika and Rika's sin about her parents, too. So overall I guess I'm accepting it for what it is, haha.

I'm kind of hesitating to watch the very last Higurashi I'll see... I've seriously loved this series and hate to see it finally end... but I guess it's time to take this last OVA head on!! <3
Feb 22, 2011 2:07 AM

Dec 2010
CardcaptorKitty said:
While I was looking forward to a dramatic episode of decision making and worrying for Rika and a murderous Rika, I am very content with how this episode turned out regardless. It was very dialogue heavy, but I enjoyed it immensely.

I like some of the theories and thoughts presented here as to the dream or maybe not a dream world thing. My gut and feelings want to believe it was a real world, but of course it doesn't matter now that she's back in the original world. But Hanyuu created the world as a reminder for Rika and Rika's sin about her parents, too. So overall I guess I'm accepting it for what it is, haha.

I'm kind of hesitating to watch the very last Higurashi I'll see... I've seriously loved this series and hate to see it finally end... but I guess it's time to take this last OVA head on!! <3

Same here I'm very satisfied.

The similarities between this arc and the Haruhi Suzumiya movie is a lot. It's Kyon and Rika deciding which world they want. ^^

I would have made the same choices as Kyon and Rika too if I was in their position. Time for the sadness of the last OVA. Higurashi, you've been a good franchise.

edit: lol forgot to mention, I thought it was funny Rena got all philosophical.
Apr 25, 2011 5:26 PM

Nov 2009
hmm i think she did good on choosing that world ^^ omg i was so in shock when she was like "Have to stop acting like Bernkastel." i was so happy cuz all i could think of was Umineko No Naku Koro Ni XD and i was like so thats why they look so much alike!
Apr 28, 2011 3:31 AM

Sep 2010
what no mother killing scene such a rip off
Jun 5, 2011 5:58 PM

Jul 2009
Overall, I think this arc was quite good, it actually went into the implications of a lot of the time-travel going on in Kai, at least the implications that weren't gone over. However, the whole thing felt a bit rushed. One or two more episodes would have been nice.
Jun 9, 2011 1:41 PM
Apr 2011
Quite a bit of philosophy in the last half of this episode...
Jul 8, 2011 10:48 AM

Oct 2010
nice episode, with all the philisophical talk... nice end to arc, reall good episode!!
Jul 16, 2011 10:27 PM

Nov 2007
-Sigh- I've given up trying to understand the what the relationship between Frederica, Bernkastel, and Rika. Frankly, I am not interested in Umineko (no interest in playing the VNs and heard the anime has really retarded logic), and I doubt the creator actually has a solid explanation for the relationships either. Just leave it as "you humans won't understand anyway" excuse I guess, and to make fans form countless theories to keep them hooked.

This OVA series has been somewhat a disappointment to me (other than the OP, which is the best one out of the 3 seasons).
To be truthful, I think the series was better before it got into all this witch business. Yes, I know it was always part of the VNs and such, but that doesn't mean I have to like it much. I did enjoy Rika's plight in Kai, but a small part of me wishes I stopped in the original.

The discrepancies in the characters' personalities may be flaws in writing, part of the Higurashi/Umineko universe, or just something I see personally that may not actually exist, I don't know, but it annoys me. I guess it's because I'm in the middle in the scale of people who are really into the "lore" of the series and the people who just watch without thinking too hard about it. I'm not so much into it as to try to understand/theorize but not casual enough to shrug it off so some of this witch/world/Hanyuu related stuff just comes off as being slightly irritating.
CookieBunJul 16, 2011 11:04 PM
Feb 21, 2012 1:12 PM
Feb 2012
I didn't like this end though to this situation...the 'it's all a dream' excuse has been used so often in tons of movies/anime series. It usually is anti-climactic except for few cases.

I was waiting for something to happen after episode 3, like a dark secret to this 'perfect world' that makes it even worse than the ones where the Hinamizawa disaster occurs.

After watching 3, I thought about how maybe saving Takano's parents somehow caused a different chain of events. Maybe her father somehow became involved in the research and he actually unlocked the secret to using it as a weapon. Then Tokyo had a worse plan to use the disease as a weapon widespread not just Hinamizawa. (I know my imagination runs away with me sometimes x.x)

So Rika would escape it somehow in episode 5 by finding shard.. I dreamt up that episode 4 would be a horrible end then she would somehow go back with last of energy Hanyuu sends and get one chance to make that world right and escape..(I didn't realize at time it would wrap up in episode 4 this story)

Saying that.. though end was a bit disappointing, it was still a pretty good story. I just thought they could have done a lot more with it, specifically the ending.
Mar 18, 2012 1:15 AM

Apr 2011
nice episode although I would have liked to have seen Rika agonize with her decision.
Apr 28, 2012 10:22 PM

Jan 2012
This show never ceases to amaze me.

It was all a dream for Rika and Hanyuu is back. Why do I have the slight feeling Hanyuu and Rika should be more than friends...?

~~Nipaa
Jul 3, 2012 7:10 PM

Jul 2010
Great episode :) I was so enchanted by the whole thing<3 Higurashi is so beautiful.. I remember when I started watching it, I was expecting a terrifying bloodbath like everyone made it out to be. Slowly, I began to realize that this show is so full of emotion and pain and hope.. It just makes me so happy. I'm crying right now :')

Seems like next episode is going to be just a happy one where all the friends have fun together. That will be really nice.

After this, it's on to Kira! The infamously fanservice-filled OVA XD ahaha, anything Higurashi will make me happy though, so I'm good :3
Jul 8, 2012 2:45 PM

May 2012
So everything was a dream, alright than its good she's back to her world she wants to be in!

Great episode I wonder what's next!
Jul 17, 2012 10:06 PM

Jul 2009
i really enjoy this section.

it's definitely all talk and no action, which actually good since we need to know more and more about the characters

i also like the comparison Rena made with the flower and that it's better if you choose the world that you work hard on rather than wish a world that is seemingly perfect.

as for the dream.

it could be that Hanyuu said it was all a dream just so to not only to teach you about the consequences in each choice, but also to ease her pain and reminded her parents. since Rika seem to be not caring about her parents in each world.

i was hoping they would indeed animate the killing scene to confirm she did it, also would love if they animate Rika visiting her parent's grave(could be in the next episode)

lots of thought provoking and awesome themes. i wish more anime's are like this.

and back when i saw Higurashi it was all lovey and cutsey.

now i know why you don't judge a book by it's cover :P
Aug 31, 2012 6:37 PM
Jul 2012
should i of watched Umineko before this? or what? with that witch reference or does it even matter?

also, my only qualm, is i think this episode should of been the last episode, it just has that finale feel to it right at the end of the episode, should of had the 5th episode as the 2nd imo, oh well, i didnt go into this season expecting much since i felt s1&2 did a good job tying things up

7/10
Sep 28, 2012 10:23 PM

Oct 2011
I was looking forward to Rika killing her mom... oh well :P
Dec 16, 2012 3:30 PM
Aug 2012
i kinda wish we could have seen rika kill her mom tho, call me a sicko
Apr 7, 2013 2:19 PM

Mar 2013
Unlike you shameful people (jk :P) Im glad they didnt show the killing. . . Just leave it to your imagination if you want to picture it so much, after all, it doesnt matter it was all a dream ;)
Apr 8, 2013 3:24 PM

Feb 2013
That was a very thought-provoking episode. I never knew that Higurashi can be this deep.

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Apr 11, 2013 7:44 PM

May 2012
-_- pretty good, kinda interesting, but i kinda wanted to see some violence :p
you know like her actually killing her mother
Jul 24, 2013 7:46 AM

Sep 2010
zonnikku said:
Also, about Bernkastel: (you won't find any of this out until you read ALL of Umineko)

She was created from the pain Rika felt for 100 years and is not really Rika herself, but more like a separate persona that Rika created from her pain.

Actually, no. Wikis always here for you (VNDB & Wikipedia).
Kenaya said:
This Furude Rika - Fu-re-de-ri-ka - Frederika is f*ckin' awesome

Erm? I thought that was... pretty stupid simple.
Zango said:

No, Umineko is another franchise that developers just crudely sewn to Higurashi, just to artificially increase the interest in Umineko.
wailofthebanshee said:
As Bernkastel has no relation to this anime, it felt like Rika was just namedropping there.

Yep, just your average advertising here.
moniilove said:
Well I guess I would have to see umeniko after this, even thought it doesn't look so atractive to my eyes but I guess it will explain (I just saw so much spoiler) that now I know I have to see it.

Well, if you wish to be severely disappointed.
CookieBun said:
-Sigh- I've given up trying to understand the what the relationship between Frederica, Bernkastel, and Rika. Frankly, I am not interested in Umineko (no interest in playing the VNs and heard the anime has really retarded logic), and I doubt the creator actually has a solid explanation for the relationships either. Just leave it as "you humans won't understand anyway" excuse I guess, and to make fans form countless theories to keep them hooked.

This OVA series has been somewhat a disappointment to me (other than the OP, which is the best one out of the 3 seasons).
To be truthful, I think the series was better before it got into all this witch business. Yes, I know it was always part of the VNs and such, but that doesn't mean I have to like it much. I did enjoy Rika's plight in Kai, but a small part of me wishes I stopped in the original.

The discrepancies in the characters' personalities may be flaws in writing, part of the Higurashi/Umineko universe, or just something I see personally that may not actually exist, I don't know, but it annoys me. I guess it's because I'm in the middle in the scale of people who are really into the "lore" of the series and the people who just watch without thinking too hard about it. I'm not so much into it as to try to understand/theorize but not casual enough to shrug it off so some of this witch/world/Hanyuu related stuff just comes off as being slightly irritating.

My thoughts exactly.
Hito420 said:
should i of watched Umineko before this? or what? with that witch reference or does it even matter?

No, no reference & no:
Kyube said:
I consider watching Umineko a waste of time. The only reason for watching are Bernkastel and maybe and Lambdadelta. You don't have to know everything about Bernkastel, reading the wikipedia article about her origin is enough.

There is such thing as shit taste. Only idiots think that every "work of art" should have the same value.

Persona anime are good. Deal with it.
Sep 2, 2013 11:57 PM

May 2013
So all of that was a dream. This was a good episode.
Sep 3, 2013 4:25 AM

May 2013
Great episode, the philosophy talk at the end made me think about my own life.
GoogolplexJan 1, 2014 5:22 PM
Oct 22, 2013 8:18 PM

Aug 2013
I thought this was a really really good episode. Rating this episode as a stand-alone I'd give it 10/10. But Rei overall would be 9/10 since I think it's as good as the first series. Kai was 8/10 - got a bit boring at times, and didn't have the same "feel" as the first series, since the element of mystery was no longer there.

Anyway, about this episode: there seems to be a lot of confusion and disappointment regarding the ending... Hanyuu quite clearly explains right at the end that it was in fact a dream world she created for Rika, as a sort of punishment for being so careless with her life. Rika thought of herself as a God with Hanyuu by her side, casually going from world to world, and Hanyuu had to remind her that her life is precious, and to not be so careless with it. You can imagine after being to over 100 worlds you get in the habit of not caring as much about dying. It's like her life was a video game where she could just "re-spawn" if she died.

Also, Rena's big analogy was really meaningful and enlightening. It's made me look at the way I live my own life in a different light.

Perfect ending imo. Though I haven't seen episode 5 yet I've heard that it's not really relevant...
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Gar_Logan - Aug 19, 2009

245 by KingOfMAL »»
Mar 19, 11:40 AM

» Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei [Visual Novel Discussion]

waalex11 - Apr 14, 2023

1 by Ricedumpismyname »»
Apr 15, 2023 9:56 AM

Poll: » Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

phinix_down - Feb 14, 2009

190 by --bee-- »»
Jan 2, 2023 1:21 PM

» am i the only person disgusted by all this 'loli' shit?

AiyanaMiyuki - Dec 25, 2021

6 by removed-user »»
Nov 6, 2022 10:37 PM

» So... Miyo Takano is perfectly okay now???

Y-Stylzz - Sep 22, 2018

10 by _Adrian02_ »»
Sep 27, 2022 5:31 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.