Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Nov 26, 2021 10:25 AM
Nov 2020
this episode is confusing lol, it was alot information but they butchered.
Dec 10, 2021 1:56 AM
May 2020
Really enjoyed so far, yet painful
Dec 16, 2021 6:44 PM

May 2019
Wow, hands down one of the best episodes. I was gripped through the entire thing.
Jan 3, 2022 8:30 AM

Jul 2021
In this episode they showed a bit of Shinji's mother's story and a good part of Fuyutsuki's life story.
Apparently Kaji died, but who killed him?
asdasdsadad
Jan 13, 2022 3:17 PM

Jan 2016
"Leave me alone, you hag" WOAH
Sulfur2Jan 13, 2022 3:25 PM
Jan 14, 2022 6:42 PM

Mar 2018
I was wondering when this show would finally make me cry, took long enough lol
Feb 1, 2022 2:08 AM

Jan 2021
"Leave me alone, you hag"
Woah woah woah Rei. Savage from the birth huh?
Feb 10, 2022 8:34 AM

Feb 2021
When I first saw Yui Ikari (Shinji's mom) I was like did they run out of character designs or something? She looks just like Rei but without the blue hair and red eyes. Heck she even has a similar voice, but damn now it all makes sense.

We got some Ritsuko, Misato, and Gendoh backstory. Dr Akagi killed Rei and committed suicide. I believe that was a clone of Rei (?)

Damn is Kaji dead? Was he killed by SEELE officials? Sad to see him go.

Mar 14, 2022 9:36 AM

Oct 2019
amazing episode

if only i knew any of the characters names in the flashback
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 6, 2022 8:42 PM
Jul 2018
My brain is trying to process all this information. I got some of my questions about the Eva’s origins answered but I feel like I have so many more questions now. Also there’s so many different organizations within organizations I’m losing track!!
Apr 8, 2022 10:42 PM

Dec 2021
incredible episode, you understand so much more when you rewatch

rip kaji, seeing misato breakdown was heartbreaking. really really good exposition, interesting christian symbolisms with adam and angels. i guess the only thing i have a question for is, where did the original adam come from? does it just keep making christian references or is there an actual answer for this?
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Apr 9, 2022 7:55 AM
Oct 2011
cosmico456 said:
incredible episode, you understand so much more when you rewatch

rip kaji, seeing misato breakdown was heartbreaking. really really good exposition, interesting christian symbolisms with adam and angels. i guess the only thing i have a question for is, where did the original adam come from? does it just keep making christian references or is there an actual answer for this?
the Christian symbolism is jut there because the creator thought it looked cool.
Apr 25, 2022 2:10 PM

Feb 2012
2022 Rewatch

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
May 23, 2022 9:18 PM

Oct 2020
I'm watching this all on Netflix so I think I'm seeing the almighty director's cut

This episode was wild, but I really liked the backstory -- it cleared a lot of things up regarding NERV and the Second Impact. It was sort of interesting to see how Gendo wasn't always the ambitious scientist we see him as -- Yui was more so the original mind behind the operation and reformed Gendo in a way(?) -- though I guess he went mad after losing her and took her ideas to the next level? It's unclear if he had ulterior motives by getting involved with Yui, but it seems like he genuinely had some feelings for her (he even changed his last name).

It was also pretty interesting to learn how Fuyutsuki wasn't always Gendo's right hand man and even wanted to expose his secret operations -- but I guess he was more or less coerced into joining them because of how he felt about Yui?
Speaking of Yui, idk if it was the creator's intent, but she seemed very naïve. We don't exactly know if she was influenced by Gendo, but it seems like he needed her expertise to make things happen, and she was happy to go along with it which is what ended up killing her. In fact, it seems like the only reason he entertained Ritsuko's mom with a relationship was just to get her on board with his ambitions.

Anywho, my feelings towards Kaji have always been conflicted, but, at least in this episode, he seemed like he really did love Misato and only got tangled up in all that double-agent stuff in order to expose the dark truth behind Nerv like Fuyutsuki had tried to do all those years ago. His last message to Misato and her subsequent break down was really sad considering he'll probably never be able to tell her that he loved her.
tiaamyomMay 23, 2022 9:22 PM
Jul 3, 2022 7:17 AM

Dec 2007
*director cut*
it's actually added 5 minutes. wonder what i would miss without it. lol

really dunno if this episode was supposed to answer question. in fact, it's rising more questions lol.
i mean, what shinji's mother experiment she did? they told us she did kind of experiment but in the end we haven't been told nothing.
and the all organisations name only made me headache lol.

what we know for a fact, and i didn't needed 30 minutes for that since it was in the first minutes before the opening, or probably was director cut addition (?), is that the origins of nerv are responsible for the second impact.

the fact that rei is probably human made only got stronger in this episode. it seems clearly to me that ritusko's mother killed that rei's brat kid.
Sep 4, 2022 3:09 PM
Jul 2015
Mahan-K said:
Lol watching this ep at 4 in the morning wasn't a good idea xD
My brain is too tired for taking in this amount of information!

Same here haha :D ,
Sep 4, 2022 3:15 PM
Jul 2015
HooHiraiBunny said:
Sure Rei was a bitch when she was young :D
We learned so much in this episode but why this late ? We're near the end and a lot of episode was randomly angel fighting, it could have been used for flash back.
I found there were too much Angel fighting episode ...

I feel the same. It started getting real repetitive when every episode was about an angel showing up and them having issues with it and then defeating it. Felt like a lot of filler.
Started getting interesting with ep19
Sep 14, 2022 3:46 AM
May 2016
please tell me katsuragi didn't actually shoot kaiji. i'm in denial of what seems to be right in front of my eyes. i remember katsuragi making a threat about shooting him if certain something repeated and :( he's like the only trustworthy ally you've got left please tell me it didn't happen
Sep 29, 2022 10:16 PM
Aug 2022
damn i loved the lore dump here. i really liked learning more backstories on different characters. also i'm assuming misato shot kaji? if so, jesus christ. anyways, great episode.
Sep 30, 2022 6:16 AM
Oct 2011
angel_kouhai said:
damn i loved the lore dump here. i really liked learning more backstories on different characters. also i'm assuming misato shot kaji? if so, jesus christ. anyways, great episode.
That's bad editing. It was unintended
Oct 8, 2022 4:08 AM
Oct 2022
finally rip bozo.
Oct 8, 2022 4:10 AM
Aug 2022
youguys said:
finally rip bozo.
realest shit ive ever read
Oct 25, 2022 1:03 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
A lot of stuff to unpack from this episode, but the highlight for me is finally getting a slightly more clear idea of who Rei is and where she came from.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Nov 15, 2022 12:23 PM

Aug 2022
I think that I watched the directors cut since the episode was like 5 minutes longer than usual. Anyway I fucking loved this episode (i mean I love them all, but that's not the point). We got so much lore and I just can't wait to see how all of this ends. Also R.I.P Kaji.
Nov 26, 2022 9:19 PM

Aug 2020
okay wow rei wtf hahaha but holy shit did rei die and gendo killed akagi or did rei do it. either way kinda fucked. dr. akagi was also fucked up for strangling a kid for calling her old lmao.

man never thought id be sad for kaji. great episode. rip yui ikari, a true milf.
Dec 18, 2022 2:30 PM
Aug 2021
im so fucking confusedddddddddd
Jan 1, 2023 4:24 AM

Jul 2021
and so it begins...having to watch every episode twice to take everything in and digest it properly.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jan 1, 2023 3:16 PM

Jan 2022
Poor hedgehogs. The closer they get, the more they end up hurting each other, both when they stay, and when they have to leave. Good Bye Mr Kaji.

Side note, lil Rei is a straight savage. Makes you wonder if she said that on her own, or if it was all a plan by Gendo in order to provoke Dr Akagi and remove her form the picture. Hmm. It seems like he only needs one Akagi after all.
-insert NGE meme here-
Jan 29, 2023 3:13 PM

Dec 2010
So Kaji was going to say to Misato that he loves her/wants to marry her if he had survived. This makes his demise all the more tragic somehow.

I was wondering about that during the Rebuild, but Fuyutsuki was probably head over heels for Yui, huh?
Feb 6, 2023 7:01 PM

Mar 2016
So it seems to be clear now tht Rei is in fact a Yui clone. Rei currently either just survived that strangle (which would explain her very pale skin), or is another clone. I wonder if Ritsuko actually knows the truth of how her mother died; suicide from the guilt of attacking/killing a child?

This episode really was a case of "You think you hate Gendou already? Well buckle up ecause you are going to want to punch your screen whenever his face shows up by the end of this episode". What the hell did Yui manage to see in him?! Thought it was a case of Yui's death breaking him, which in a way it did, but even before then he was an absolute self-serving c***! Just wondering whether he actually truely loved Yui or grieved after her death, or whether it wass simply an excuse for him to move on. To start furthering his mad-man Godhood scheme and using clones of Yui (Rei) in order to have more control over the progression.
There is only one part I find confusing now. If we're to believe Rei is a clone (hinted at being clone of a clone at this point), and she is easily replaceable......why does he seem to worry when she's in true danger? The EVA incident, her heroic 'suicide' nuke run. She's replaceable isn't she, so why worry?

So now we know where the term 'EVA' comes from, how did they end up with Evangelion? (Eva + Angel?) And if 00 is the first EVA, then why is Unit-01 inexpendable the trump card? There was mention much earlier of even a Unit-09, but they all seem to have been cheap copies compared to 01. 02 is just for Asuka and seems to hhave nothing overly special going for it, 03 got easily hijacked by an angel, 04 blew up...and nothing of the further ones. Everything seems to have been going as Gendou planned, so why the need of so many EVAs if they've been doing fine with the initial 3?

Seems the double-agent gig caught up to Kaji, although he clearly was expecting it. Kidnapped the deputy to take him to the Council/Seele...then freed him...now he's been killed by an unknown.

(curious about these director's cut episodes now)
Feb 8, 2023 11:27 PM

Dec 2019
This entire episode felt like a fever dream. So many things happening.
Feb 21, 2023 8:50 PM
Jul 2022
I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
KAJI NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LOVE YOU BABE............................................????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Maybe if Rei stayed dead.
Mar 13, 2023 6:18 AM

Jul 2017
Not gonna lie i couldn't follow the story in this episode but i loved the part where we got to see Shinji's Mother :) and also Shinji as a baby, my favorite part was when young Rei called that lady "Old Hag" lol
May 6, 2023 4:57 PM

Nov 2022
adults acting high and mighty then they can't keep their feelings in check... fucking cringe galore
May 27, 2023 5:57 PM
Apr 2020
damn bruh that sucks
Jul 10, 2023 1:43 AM
Jul 2021
Why did dr.Fuyutsuki join Gendo after he was about to expose him??? What exactly did Gando tell him to change his mind??! I don’t understand
Oct 13, 2023 8:08 PM
Jun 2022
ughhh backstory and what tf happen to kaji
Dec 30, 2023 12:02 AM
May 2022
they really waited till the series was 75% over and said "alright, infodump time". i'm glad we have the info now, but i feel like so much was withheld for no reason. personally, i would've liked to see more breadcrumbs about the true nature of everything. rei probably being a clone makes sense with the info they gave us before, but everything else was way out of left field.
Jan 14, 12:10 AM

Dec 2022
blink once and you'll miss everything
Mar 10, 8:28 AM

Jul 2017
An episode full of useful informations and backstory for a lot of the characters, i loved the fact that everything was centered around Fuyutsuki.
We see the effect of the second impact on misato, i guess that the trauma brought her to develop that carefree and happy personality to protect herself from the extreme loneliness she felt.
we also see the death of Yui, a very lovely and kind girl, i think that after that failed experiment, her soul was integrated in the Eva 01, this is why Eva 01 always protects shinji.
Ritsuko's mother was in love with Gendo, but he only used her.
her actions towards Rei I were shocking, so shocking that she committed suicide disgusted by herself and maybe by gendo's indirect rejection.
Kaji knows that he is about to get killed, so he sends a message to misato, that scene was absolutely perfect and i cried a lot for misato's reaction, a very good by the animators and the VA.
''Touch the darkness inside me''

Mar 14, 6:59 AM
Feb 2024
Rei? Yui? Kaji? Antarctica? It's a great episode just so many more questions than answers, did Miss Misato kill Kaji? How could the scientists mother kill child Rei? What happened to Rei? How is there a replacement? It explains what Rei means by "There will be another of me" But then how many times has this happened? Is Rei a reincarnated Yui somehow?
Mar 16, 2:01 PM

Jul 2014
This and episode 15 hit different as a chronically lonely adult with a soul-crushing desk job who's friends are all either getting married or in happy relationships. God, I need therapy.
Take care of yourself

Mar 18, 1:31 PM

Mar 2022
Wow, there were so many explanations made in this episode and yet I still feel confused about what’s going on in Evangelion but at the very least I have some answers whether or not, all my questions were answered is another matter altogether. We’ve got organisations within organisations, we saw Shinji’s mum, Rei’s apparently a clone, there was so much to take in with that episode. God and Gendo never even cared about his wife at all and cheated on her after she died, the flaming bastard. And from what I can gather from Misato’s tears is that Kaiji’s now bit the dust which makes for a very sad and powerful ending there. Or is he? It happened so quickly so for all I know he could be alive or something but again I have no idea, I have no idea. I feel like a lot of the stuff involving the EVAs, Rei and Gendo could’ve been more evenly thinned out and had bits of information in between the action sequences in some episodes. No idea why we have to wait 21 episodes for information now but again at the very least I have some answers for some things regarding this show.
Apr 9, 4:01 AM
Jul 2023
Backstory win
- First scene was mysterious and cool. So that’s Adam?
- Gendo was very different when he was young. I wonder if he was just using Yui to get into Seele?
- Damn, Rei was mean when she was younger. How did she come back I wonder?
- Ritsuko’s mother was also a bitch. Her suicide was pretty gory
- Kaji was shot??? By who? Poor Misato… Shinji is a useless fuck as usual
Apr 19, 3:33 PM
Apr 2023
Episode told us quite a lot about Nerv and Ikari and such, but also lots of new mysteries. How did Shinji’s mom die, what are the EVA’s, what happened/ is Rei, did Kaji die and whatnot. Really cool but lots of new weird stuff to unravel.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

186 by vinnywizanime »»
Apr 28, 4:39 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

811 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 27, 6:44 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

174 by Haz_Noz »»
Apr 26, 4:22 PM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
Apr 26, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Apr 25, 5:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.