Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Oct 16, 2015 2:12 AM

Sep 2013
Scary episode man. I'm legit scared of the dummy plug thing
Oct 18, 2015 8:01 PM

May 2014
The dummy plug is extremely carnal in it's actions. Very animalistic. As soon as it started hinting that Toji was the Fourth Child, I knew shit was gonna go down. Even more so once they show what the third Eva looked like, which looked darker and more evil in itself.
Oct 31, 2015 12:00 AM

Apr 2014
Well that escalated quickly. The dummy plug was based on Rei's personality and was imperfect, but how much of its aggression and acts while berserk can be attributed to this unchecked and uncontrolled version of Rei's true nature? I'm really eager to discover who Rei actually is and what has happened to her.

The tension was very well executed in regards to the pilots and being ordered to kill another person. Rei reacted with worry and hesitation like a typical person would be expected to act, so that was comforting to witness. I wasn't certain if she was going to accept the task because it was for the sake of everyone else, but before she could actually make the decision she was already rendered immobile.

Poor Shinji. Just when his mental instability issues were finally subsiding, he is pressured into killing another person and nearly does so against his will. He's probably going to blame himself for being too weak to produce a better outcome than what had transpired. If Touji had died, I could see him having completely lost it. Back when Shinji became friends with him and Kensuke, I had mentioned something about how gaining friends would give him another reason to fight, but that it also had the potential to mess him up even more so than he had been originally should anything go wrong, and this episode puts it to the test. Glad to see Touji survived though. The suspense was quite high when Unit 01 crushed the entry plug of Unit 03.

Gendo is brutal, but stopping the rogue Eva took precedence above all else as it was for the greater good. When placed together with the moments that showed his softer side, I would have said that this reinforces my belief that he suppressed his emotions and attachments in order to avoid pain and focus on his goals (which based on his relation to the Human Instrumentality Project) may be something that he believes is for the greater good of humanity. However, the fact that he didn't disable the dummy plug after the mission was accomplish appears to say otherwise. This wasn't just being cold and cruel out of a perceived necessity. This was just downright evil. I thought I had an idea as to his true nature, but this has made me uncertain.
ZeroDragonOct 31, 2015 12:14 AM
Oct 31, 2015 3:08 PM

Jun 2011
ASUKA STOP WANTING TO DATE GROWN MAN! AND YOU... HIKARI DOESN'T EVEN CARE ABOUT HOW MEAN YOU ARE, I WISH SHE WOULD! YOU NEED TO GET AWAY FROM HER IF YOU'RE GOING TO PUSH PEOPLE AWAY AND ONLY MAKE FRIENDS WITH PEOPLE THAT LET YOU DO WHATEVER THE HECK YOU WANT!!!
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Nov 22, 2015 5:49 AM

Feb 2013
Damn, what a messed up episode.

I'm honestly surprised Touji survived that, but either way it was fucked up. Shinji's father is a real evil bastard, the fact that he was smiling proves that. He really doesn't care about anyone, he'll sacrifice as many people as he sees fit to further his own goals. W/e those may be.

I really do feel bad for Shinji though, I wonder how hes gonna deal with this in the coming eps.

Also that dummy plug thing is messed up, it seems to basically just be a switch to make the Eva go Beserk. Pretty scary honestly.
Dec 5, 2015 2:34 PM

Nov 2012
That was fucking intense,best episode easily,truly excellent in all means of the word.

The dummy plug with straight overkill,just imagining Toji had to suffer all the pain inflicted onto Unit 03 woo *goosebumps*

And to top it all off
Maya: "Report from the entry plug recovery team. The pilot's life signs are confirmed."
Shinji: "He's alive?!"
Misato : "Unit 03's pilot is...The Fourth Children is..."
Shinji: "Toji?"
Misato: "Shinji-kun? Shinji-kun? Shinji-kun?! Shinji-kun?! Shinji-kun?!"
*Shinji screams*

Shit,scenes like this remind me why I love anime.
Dec 6, 2015 5:49 PM

Oct 2012
insane directing on this episode. Toji is one of my favorite characters, I kind of saw this coming, I wonder if he will be alright.
Gendo is a really heartless person, I wonder?
Dec 22, 2015 10:55 AM

Jul 2013
Yes, it feels great to see Shinji go full despair, and the event can make some serious impact on our main characters. Can't wait for more brokenness
Dec 31, 2015 6:15 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching again)

5/5 Brutal. This is the Eva we all know and love.

Wow, 4 pages instead of the normal 2. I guess MAL has a lot to say about this one.
Jan 7, 2016 6:35 PM

Feb 2010
ZeroDragon said:

Poor Shinji. Just when his mental instability issues were finally subsiding, he is pressured into killing another person and nearly does so against his will. He's probably going to blame himself for being too weak to produce a better outcome than what had transpired. If Touji had died, I could see him having completely lost it. Back when Shinji became friends with him and Kensuke, I had mentioned something about how gaining friends would give him another reason to fight, but that it also had the potential to mess him up even more so than he had been originally should anything go wrong, and this episode puts it to the test. Glad to see Touji survived though. The suspense was quite high when Unit 01 crushed the entry plug of Unit 03.

This post really brought a smile to my face. It really captures how Shinji perceives this whole ordeal. After scrolling through pages of people calling this middle schooler a 'pussbag', I honestly lost faith in humanity and didn't even want to bother posting.

Honestly, people who call him a 'pussbag' are labeling Shinji like how a person who has not even watched the show would label him. As a spineless coward who doesn't amount to anything. Because we allll know that Shinji has nooo reason to act like how he is. I'm not trying to pick a fight, but that sounds incredibly shallow to me. People would say that about a person they don't know a single detail about, but it is freaking episode EIGHTEEN ladies and gentlemen. Where were you for the past EIGHTEEN episodes?

I love how people try to justify their insults about this child by basically saying how he could've found a way to save his friend and shouldn't have just sat there yelling no and not doing anything. YES, that is what happened however if YOU were in a hopeless situation YOU try finding a solution last minute. See if all your talk amounts to anything. This may be the world of anime, but in real life where real people have emotions there is panic and a feeling of helplessness for any normal person basically seeing another human body being mutilated and destroyed in front of your eyes. With your 'hands'. For Shinji, it was ultimate disparity. But what the hell am I talking about? People's emotions don't influence their actions at all, am I right?

Much rage (and sarcasm) in this post but it honestly boggles my mind how people are literally pointing fingers at a little boy
telling him to pull it together when no normal human being would be able to react in the way you 'please'.
EarlCielJan 7, 2016 6:49 PM
Feb 6, 2016 5:37 PM

Aug 2014
That dummy plug mode in the Eva was awesome .
Actually it would have made sense ( and better for the story imo ) if Touji died on this episode .
Great Episode .
Apr 18, 2016 9:10 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Man, that was intense af.
Glad that Touji is safe.
Seriously so far i don't get how people hate Shinji with a passion.
DatRandomDudeApr 18, 2016 9:14 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

May 6, 2016 9:22 PM
Apr 2016
commander ikari crooked self just trying to test the dummy plug most likely >_>
also really liked how realistic everyone's reactions were
May 6, 2016 9:25 PM
Apr 2016
EarlCiel said:
ZeroDragon said:

This post really brought a smile to my face. It really captures how Shinji perceives this whole ordeal. After scrolling through pages of people calling this middle schooler a 'pussbag', I honestly lost faith in humanity and didn't even want to bother posting.

Honestly, people who call him a 'pussbag' are labeling Shinji like how a person who has not even watched the show would label him. As a spineless coward who doesn't amount to anything. Because we allll know that Shinji has nooo reason to act like how he is. I'm not trying to pick a fight, but that sounds incredibly shallow to me. People would say that about a person they don't know a single detail about, but it is freaking episode EIGHTEEN ladies and gentlemen. Where were you for the past EIGHTEEN episodes?

I love how people try to justify their insults about this child by basically saying how he could've found a way to save his friend and shouldn't have just sat there yelling no and not doing anything. YES, that is what happened however if YOU were in a hopeless situation YOU try finding a solution last minute. See if all your talk amounts to anything. This may be the world of anime, but in real life where real people have emotions there is panic and a feeling of helplessness for any normal person basically seeing another human body being mutilated and destroyed in front of your eyes. With your 'hands'. For Shinji, it was ultimate disparity. But what the hell am I talking about? People's emotions don't influence their actions at all, am I right?

Much rage (and sarcasm) in this post but it honestly boggles my mind how people are literally pointing fingers at a little boy
telling him to pull it together when no normal human being would be able to react in the way you 'please'.

this pretty much sums it up. gainax gives us one of the most realistic character progressions in an anime ever and people still are as shallow with it as they are with ppl in real life
May 28, 2016 3:29 AM

Apr 2016
After this ep i need to take a break...so brutal, so shocking.
Jun 16, 2016 6:06 PM

Aug 2015
Would've preferred that Touji died but dang, Shinj's dad doesn't give a fuck.
Jul 18, 2016 4:29 PM

Feb 2016
Oh damn you couldn't even call it a fight when you saw how EVA01 in dummy mode just destroyed EVA03. That was freaking scary but I'm so glad that Touji survived this. He is such a nice guy and he wouldn't deserve to die in such a brutal way. Shinji probably experienced the shock of his life when he finally got the message it was Touji who was trapped in that EVA.
Aug 15, 2016 9:04 AM

Aug 2016
Well Shinji's father is more fucked up then i tought, damn this must really have fucked up Shinji's mind, when he yelled at the end of the episode it gave me goosebumps.
Nov 1, 2016 9:42 AM

Jun 2016
This was one of the saddest episodes for me. Forcing Shinji to kill his friend? I wondered why Shinji couldn't learn who the pilot was, but it turned out to be really dramatic at the end. Poor Shinji.
MewTangClan said:
EarlCiel said:

this pretty much sums it up. gainax gives us one of the most realistic character progressions in an anime ever and people still are as shallow with it as they are with ppl in real life

I didn't know rhat people define Shinji in that way. Interesting, indeed. There sure are some characters in some series who make you want to lead them, their lack of action drived you crazy, but Shinji mevrr seemed that kind of a character boy to me. He is such a sweetie who always thinks of others first. Really a kind soul. So, competely agree with you! ^_^
karineynNov 1, 2016 9:57 AM
Nov 17, 2016 1:41 PM

Aug 2014
Just when I thought I was starting to like Gendo, he pulls this shit smfh.

I'm glad that Toji survived though, otherwise I don't even wanna imagine how Shinji would have reacted to that.
Nov 17, 2016 3:15 PM

Nov 2016
I didn't actually mind Gendo and actually liked him.. Well he's just proved he's a piece of shit.

I loved this episode. Easiest 5/5 throughout the entire show so far.
Nov 23, 2016 7:02 PM

Dec 2015
Not a proper Eva episode without some Shinji scream in it.
Jan 3, 2017 5:18 PM

Feb 2013
Fuuuuuuuuuck. I actually didn't think Touji was the pilot. I thought they you were gonna pull a fake out but nope! Unit 03 looks a lot like Unit 01. And they lost it... unless they can repair it?

Gendo went too far. Crushing the pilot plug was unnecessary. Talk about absolute brutality. So dummy plug = remote control kinda? It had Rei's name on it so I think it was a sort of AI of Rei and would've done what Rei would've done. Geez, that was a lot of blood.

Good thing Touji is alive. Although after this I wouldn't be surprised if he suffered some life changing injury or something. But he's alive nonetheless! I'm guessing the glasses friend isn't going to be real happy about finding out he got to pilot an Eva.

I don't know if Misato not telling Shinji who the pilot was is a good or bad thing. If he knew he would've been even more inclined to not do anything. But couldnt Shinji do everything Unit 01 did minus the crushing the pilot plug.

Also is Ritsuko really okay? We didn't see her. Kaji could've only said that to make her not worry. It can go either way.

Looks like Shinji had another psychological breakdown. After that, I honestly can't blame him. I wonder how he'Lloyd recover if he does at all. I wonder how Asuka'seems doing. She was attacked too. Rei got injured in the fight as well.

Great episode.
Jan 12, 2017 2:15 PM

Sep 2015
OMFG I hope Toji lives. Fk Shinji's dad
Jan 12, 2017 3:26 PM
Jun 2016
The ending broke my heart

I feel like Toji will eventually die, but I'm probably wrong
Jan 30, 2017 12:45 AM
Mar 2016
Oh my god, that scene where the dummy plug was used made me drop my mouth for the rest of the episode.

Geeeez the show picked up. This is probably the longest build to some amazing episodes, but I'm glad to see the show go in this direction.
Feb 13, 2017 1:31 AM
Mar 2016
ANYone else thinking fuckkkkk now that was a good Ep finally!! hit me hard man

I actually was expecting touji to be a pile of guts tho in the tube, Eva 1 literally crushed the damn thing
Mar 29, 2017 5:25 PM

Dec 2012
a little confused on how Shinji' friend survived after all of that... and since he's alive, shinjis scream seemed a little over-reactive

curious about how the angel infected the eva... unless the evas are some sort of angel-human consciousness hybrid machine

Commander Ikari is savage, I wonder how Rei's arm and fighting capabilities will be impacted...
Apr 27, 2017 7:17 AM

Jun 2016
Damn, watching the dummy plug EVA go to town was scary. I can't even imagine what it must have been like for Shinji witnessing everything while not being able to do anything.

Glad that Toji didn't die, I'm however certain that he will at some point.

I honestly find it amusing though, that not a single test or experiment in this series hasn't gone bad yet.
Aug 17, 2017 5:09 PM

Jul 2009
Omg that was dark. So so dark.

Commander Ikari is heartless. I can understand that he has a lot of responsibility to shoulder but the way he just...he just doesn't truly CARE about his son's mental wellbeing is just despicable. I'm sure later when Shinji yells at them all they gon be like "it was his choice" or some shit.

Honest to god, poor poor kid.
Sep 16, 2017 2:26 PM

Nov 2016
Oh shit, that was quite intense.

Poor Shinji,tho, the emotional burden he has to endure...

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 19, 2017 5:51 AM

Jan 2016
Best episode so far
Sep 24, 2017 11:20 PM

Jan 2017
Holy crap... That was so fucked up!! I knew the fourth child was Toji from the moment he became sad, and it was all focused on him, and I even expected him to die, but WOW. So this took a turn. So completely brutal and sad, I was in aw the entire second half of the episode. That dummy plug was fucked up.. if Misato had told Shinji that it was Toji he might have tried to rescue him, but goddamn the first time they use the dummy is on another eva, holy. Also wow, Shinji's dad is a cunt, what the actual fuck?? I can't even believe Toji is alive holy Jesus. Anyway, I need a break after that episode... holy crap. Horribly sad and fucked up episode. Although after all this, it's either this episode or 16 that are the best so far.
Oct 13, 2017 12:51 PM
Apr 2015
this would've been more powerful if toji did die
Nov 19, 2017 11:10 AM

Jul 2013
Dang, this episode was brutal! I feel bad for Shinji, no person would want to see all of that.
I hope Touji is ok... :((
Jan 2, 2018 9:33 PM

Jun 2017
How the fuck did my nigga touji survive? That shit was savage man. Fuck that guys dad
Jan 2, 2018 9:41 PM

Jun 2017
It's not like that shit was unexpected, but holy fuck dude.
Jan 5, 2018 11:27 AM
Jul 2017
Such an intense episode... this series has really grabbed me.

Shinji didn't want to kill... I can't blame him. Gendo doesn't seem like such a good guy after all...
Jan 25, 2018 9:19 AM

Apr 2015
Well, Shinji's completely broken now...partially because everyone seemed to be delaying telling him Toji was the pilot. That wasn't exactly the best way for him to find out, was it?

Commander Ikari is merciless, even towards his own son. "Fine, you pussy, if you won't kill him, I will."
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 16, 2018 4:07 PM
Jan 2018
xlemany said:
Holy crap... That was so fucked up!! I knew the fourth child was Toji from the moment he became sad, and it was all focused on him, and I even expected him to die, but WOW. So this took a turn. So completely brutal and sad, I was in aw the entire second half of the episode. That dummy plug was fucked up.. if Misato had told Shinji that it was Toji he might have tried to rescue him, but goddamn the first time they use the dummy is on another eva, holy. Also wow, Shinji's dad is a cunt, what the actual fuck?? I can't even believe Toji is alive holy Jesus. Anyway, I need a break after that episode... holy crap. Horribly sad and fucked up episode. Although after all this, it's either this episode or 16 that are the best so far.

My sentiments Exactly~
Feb 18, 2018 1:35 PM

Mar 2016
EVA 03 might've been possessed by an angel and it did attack the other EVAs. But holy shit! The dummy plug not only stopped EVA 03's rampage but it completely obliterated it!!! I'd say that the dummy plug is a perfect killing system!

Now it'll be interesting to see what Shinji and the others reactions will be...
Being scared to kill another human is totally acceptable. He's just a 14-year-old literally just experiencing a father issue and maybe a bit of depression! Until he became an EVA's pilot.
Mar 8, 2018 5:40 AM

Sep 2017
I am sorry to say this, but this episode sucked. There was the typical soap opera drama about Toji being the 4th child and he didn't die at the end. Come on.

And the death flags of Toji were so many that even someone like Rei could have seen it coming. You don't dedicate an entire episode towards someone like him, and add otherwise irrelevant shots of him unless he is gonna die.

At least Rei saves Shinji at the end of the day. She doesn't take nicely to someone threatening her Shinji.(I know it was a dummy, but come on, the reason the dummy eva violently beat her enemy could be only due to her love for Shinji).

Maybe people say that Shinji is a coward because he didn't obey his father's orders. I disagree. Shinji is not a proper soldier(He had a messed up childhood and EVA trauma issues), but he does have some empathy towards others, which is a good point. However, it is the duty of soldiers to follow orders no matter what. Also, his reasoning that he will not kill the child even for his death is absurd. Come on, it is not only your life at stake, but also the residents of Tokyo, Rei, Kaji and AsukaMisako too. Don't think you are fighting for yourself. You are fighting for the entire world, and that is not a choice, but a responsibility. That Angel ain't gonna stop with you.

Rei, even in AI form, is awesome. I am in love and in awe.
JeremiahOrangeMar 8, 2018 5:43 AM

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

May 11, 2018 1:49 PM

Jan 2013
Unit 01 is definitely my fav character so far.. if you can even call that thing "a character". Fuck, those berserker moments (even if because of a dummy plug) and all that creepiness and mysteriousness around it, just wow. I love how everyone is just petrified and can't believe their eyes everytime it happens, probably thinking 'what the fuck have we created'.
fuyukiMay 11, 2018 1:53 PM
Aug 26, 2018 5:54 PM

Feb 2017
Saddest episode yet. Somehow I have a feeling there will be more of them down the line.
Sep 8, 2018 9:12 PM

Feb 2018
Shinji was really fucked up now
Sep 23, 2018 12:23 PM

Jul 2015
Some replaceable character is going to pivot it? lol ok
Nov 2, 2018 3:11 PM

Jan 2017
makes me frigggin AGGRESSIVE how some of you guys think that shinji is too whiny and a pussy and what not, do you have ANY emotions?!?!?!? the creator of nge literally poured his depression into this anime, trying to show the viewers what depression can feel like. wym he needs to "man up" and shit for piloting the eva, this anime is clearly not about muscular men with huge dicks fighting the evil with no regrets, it's about a kid who feels guilty as fuck and thinks piloting the eva is the only thing that can still give his life a purpose. was y'all never in a situation where you chose to do something out of guilt, but you actually didn't want to?
okwhynotNov 2, 2018 3:54 PM
Dec 15, 2018 1:04 PM

Aug 2013
That was brutal. Loved the episode.

Dec 24, 2018 8:01 PM

Dec 2018
All of humanity is at stake, but nah I'm going an emo angsty brooding wuss.
I seriously hope that the end of this god awful series is nothing less than the eradication of the entire human race.

A wet dishrag would serve as a better pilot than shinji
Apr 24, 2019 5:45 PM

Dec 2018
Holy FUCK that was insane
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

186 by vinnywizanime »»
Apr 28, 4:39 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

811 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 27, 6:44 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

174 by Haz_Noz »»
Apr 26, 4:22 PM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
Apr 26, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Apr 25, 5:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.