Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Oct 17, 2013 7:05 PM

Mar 2013
Unit 01 tearing up 03 to shreds...
Jesus. Holy fucking shit. I was legitimately shocked by this.
Nov 10, 2013 9:42 PM

Jan 2013
Omg...
Nov 14, 2013 5:26 AM

Jul 2012
That was quite the shocking episode! I was like OHMYGOD the entire time!

So the Evas can actually bleed!!! I though they were more like robots that have a soul or something.. but it seems they are some kind of cyborgs. Half living organism and half artificial. Interesting!

Btw shinji is a normal guy. And when I say normal I don't mean that he is boring, I mean that anyone whould have been like that if they were him. He's really realistic which is rare for main characters in anime.
I hate the word “fate.” Birth, encounters, partings, success and failures, fortune and misfortunes in life. If our lives are already set in stone by fate, then why are we even born? There are those born to wealthy families, those born to beautiful mothers, and those born into the middle of war or poverty. If that’s all caused by fate, then God is incredibly unfair and cruel. Because, ever since that day, none of us had a future and the only certain thing was that we wouldn’t amount to anything. - Takakura Shouma
Dec 23, 2013 3:40 PM

Aug 2007
Wow, that was a fantastic episode.
Touji may still be alive... but what will he be like after this?
I suppose Shinji won't want to pilot Eva after this...

Dec 26, 2013 9:54 AM

Jan 2013
So... Eva's. I think Shinji's dad is going to use them for something very very bad. This last episode showed just how brutal they can be. This isn't looking good. Maybe angels are a good thing and Eva's are really demons and they angels are trying to save humanity. I'm not sure, just a thought.

Poor Touji, he almost died. That's a pretty rough way to start off your first time piloting an Eva. So what, the angel was in the armor? Or was it in the whole system? That's a pretty scary angel. I knew that cumulonimbus cloud looked suspicious.
Jan 13, 2014 3:54 PM
Oct 2011
Thoughts on shinji manning up versus pussing out, and wether either is more realistic, the truth is they are both EQUALLY realistic just in different ways. The Thing about adversity is some people are able to overcome it and up stronger/better people for it, where as others are just broken by it. Add in the fact that shinji was already broken at the begining of the show and are you realyy surprised that combat makes him better instead of worse? The best you could realistically hope for is that he would try to forget about his crappy childhood by putting himself face first into the action, but even then he would be just as broken as the current Shinji just in a way that would probably more resemble is pyschopathic father.
Jan 16, 2014 8:13 AM

Nov 2013
Poor Touji, I had expected him to the whole episode, but didn't tink it would go quite that way. Glad he survived though.
Commander Ikari is a psycho, can't Shinji man up and hit hm or something?
Jan 19, 2014 6:14 AM
Aug 2013
Really good, bloody, and awesome episode. I really thought Touji died for a second there.
Feb 18, 2014 9:37 PM

Aug 2013
Wow just wow. Poor Touji. Shinji refusing to fight EVA 03, in my opinion, was a normal reaction. He's clearly not a warrior nor is he a soldier. He knows the downside of piloting EVAs (as Misato has pointed out) so of course he'll sympathize with the pilot. It's his morals talking, he's not being a coward. Though he does complain a lot like Asuka said.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Feb 23, 2014 4:56 PM

Oct 2013
dat toji, but then whos the dude with the white hair i have accidentally seen in a spoiler lol
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Mar 7, 2014 9:41 PM

Dec 2013
BS

First of all Shinji could have fought back and tried to disable it instead of completely destroying it, at least until he found a way to get the pilot out.

second of all I'm sure they didn't have to let unit 1 completely tare it apart, especially once it got down to the pod.

Anyway, Shinji should be glad his friend is alive. I don't see why Misato was so nervous about telling Shinji before hand. It seems like he would have liked that one of his friends was piloting with him...

Also, I don't know why the pilots don't get traing outside the Evas. And its pretty sad that Shinji doesn't seem to care about the idea that he's protecting human lives by fighting the angels. Although... Has an angel actually ever killed a human being? Yes its tried to destroy NERV HQ, but has an angel ever taken any aggressive actions towards any other people?
DaydreamHeroMar 7, 2014 9:49 PM
Love and Peace!!!
Mar 7, 2014 10:28 PM

Oct 2008
Thund3r1 said:
BS

First of all Shinji could have fought back and tried to disable it instead of completely destroying it, at least until he found a way to get the pilot out.

second of all I'm sure they didn't have to let unit 1 completely tare it apart, especially once it got down to the pod.

It's actually not BS. The angel was inside pod and it needed the pilot, which is why the plug wasn't ejected. And Toji might as well have been dead already because of the infection.. So they didn't really know ( and Gendo doesn't really care either way so..).

Thund3r1 said:

Also, I don't know why the pilots don't get traing outside the Evas. And its pretty sad that Shinji doesn't seem to care about the idea that he's protecting human lives by fighting the angels. Although... Has an angel actually ever killed a human being? Yes its tried to destroy NERV HQ, but has an angel ever taken any aggressive actions towards any other people?

There's a good reason for that as well.. Just keep watching.
Mar 15, 2014 6:44 PM

Jul 2012
damn that was fucking intense of an episode

nroa said:
holy shit

exactly my thoughts
Mar 15, 2014 10:45 PM
Oct 2010
That episode was SUPER intense. I had bad feeling that something was going to happen to Touji when he got chosen to become a pilot. Although it was a really good episode, it was a little hard to watch.
Mar 25, 2014 11:50 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Commander Ikari was smiling when Shinji's EVA went into Dummy mode, smh. I honestly hate Commander Ikari, he puts business first and humans second. Then again Shinji didn't want to fight so it is understandable that Ikari ordered dummy mode on Shinji's Eva.

Poor class rep she loves Toji but he doesn't see her that way or at least not yet.

Mar 29, 2014 11:32 PM

Dec 2012
Wow, this was probably the most powerful episode in a while. Everything with Toji aside, I figured that the Evas were connected to the angels somehow, but for one to outright turn into one? This episode was a mix of tension and twists. That part where Unit 01 went berserk and started savagely tearing Unit 03 to pieces was nuts and painful to watch given the circumstances. I almost teared up when it cut over to Hikari preparing lunch for Toji.

Really surprised that he survived, but something tells me it's only going to go downhill from here.
Jun 6, 2014 2:47 PM

Jul 2012
Shinji Father is a complete badass!
And I hate Shinji every episode more, I mean, he is just too crybaby, he was so QQing for killing 1 person, while with all the building he has destroyed he have done something much worse for sure in his past missions. But w/e.
Jun 7, 2014 7:00 AM

Oct 2008
xNihalx said:

And I hate Shinji every episode more, I mean, he is just too crybaby, he was so QQing for killing 1 person, while with all the building he has destroyed he have done something much worse for sure in his past missions. But w/e.

Another lame excuse to hate Shinji. Residents are in defense shelters during angel attacks so it's highly unlikely that anybody was injured by the Eva directly. The buildings he destroys are either empty or fake buildings used as access gates in Tokyo 3. What you should be asking is how did Shinji injure Toji's sister earlier in the series.. (which probably wasn't his fault, it was just Toji's excuse to beat him up).
Jun 7, 2014 11:10 AM

Aug 2013
How did Touji survive? I mean the dummy plug totally crushed the entry plug.

Also wtf @ the power of the dummy plug.
My Candies:
Jun 21, 2014 10:51 PM

Jun 2013
By far the most gruesome episode I've seen. At least Touji survived, but how? His entry plug was crushed and he should be dead! Shinji gonna get revenge on his father? Hmm, have to watch the next episode to find out!
Jun 24, 2014 2:32 PM

Mar 2013
Dont letting Touji die was one of the worst decisions the writers could make. I mean really.. letting him die would explain Shinjies motivations about his upcomming behaviour, it would make everything more dramatic and since Touji was never important to the anime again, it doesnt matter at all if they say he lives or he died, exept that letting him live makes everything consequence free, childish and plane idiotic. Rest of the episode was good though
LockensockeJun 24, 2014 2:35 PM
Jun 30, 2014 8:12 AM

Aug 2013
DaBigD said:
First of all: I have to thank Gainax for using proper English.

Is it just me or does the teacher always say the same things?

You know, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who caught on to that. Do you remember when Kaji told Misato to investigate code 707, Shinji's school? Perhaps that school is more entwined with NERV and EVA than we thought. All of the pilots go there and the teacher seemingly never stops talking about the second impact.

Ok, so that was a tough episode. Everyone except Shinji knew who the pilot of Eva Unit 3 was and then Shinji is forced to watch as his Eva "kills" Toji. I'm not really a big fan of this whole dummy plug idea. I think its just a way for Commander Ikari to overtake all the systems and have them do as he pleases. Note, the dummy plug had "Rei" on it.

So that whole scene where Unit 1 was literally tearing apart Unit 3? Yeah, that was a bit graphic. The expressions on the NERV officers' faces were my own.
Jul 27, 2014 4:36 PM

Jul 2014
episode 1 or 2 we saw the Eva without the head piece. Now I'm convinced that the Angels and the Evas are either one in the same or they share a common origin. Very graphic ending. Never thought I would see a mech anime capture something so brutal and chilling
Sep 14, 2014 10:49 AM

Jan 2014
Now I understand what the whole apparatus Rei's been in mysteriously a few times is - a copy of her mind to use as the dummy plug. If that's how the dummy acts, what kind of mind does Rei have?!

I wonder if Touji's going to be able to breathe or walk unaided again...
Sep 16, 2014 8:17 PM

Mar 2013
How brutal. Shinji was kept in the dark and he witnessed all of that. I really thought Touji was gone. That entry plug did split in half afterall.
Nov 18, 2014 11:58 PM

Aug 2014
Holy shit its the first time I heard proper english in an anime.
Nov 28, 2014 3:11 PM

Jul 2014
So Toji is alive or dead at the end... AHHHHH THAT SCREAM AT THE END!
Dec 9, 2014 11:33 AM

Nov 2013
Rei getting hurt ;___;

Brutal episode, the ending was just.... damn. Surprised Suzuhara is still alive though D:

Also this is the first time in a long time that I've heard good use of spoken English in anime, quite impressed :D
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Dec 26, 2014 9:07 PM

Apr 2014
Fucking hell. That scene with the class rep after the dummy plug scene was brutal. The fact that Shinji didn't know it was Toji
was the pilot made it all the more horrendous.

... That ending. Frickin REKT ;v;;;;;;

Man, the last couple of episodes have been pretty mellow then all of a sudden we get the most emotionally loaded episode so far.
Jan 3, 2015 1:25 PM

Jan 2013
So, basically nerv, rather Katsuragi knew the test would be a failure, hence why she didn't tell Shinji the Fourth Child?

Anyways, Shinji's done now, guy needs probably one week to recover from that trauma
Jan 15, 2015 3:48 PM

Aug 2014
Amazing episode, easily the best one as of yet. The tension was very high. Well fucking done.
Jan 17, 2015 10:37 PM
Jul 2018
Why didn't Shinji just fight the Angel and just immobilize it? Afterwards he could easily saperate the entry plug and save Touji no probs... Retarded Shinji just being retarded, or just a convenient "asspull".
Jan 17, 2015 11:22 PM

Jun 2009
Ligonakos said:
Why didn't Shinji just fight the Angel and just immobilize it? Afterwards he could easily saperate the entry plug and save Touji no probs... Retarded Shinji just being retarded, or just a convenient "asspull".

Lol, just lol....
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 25, 2015 8:01 PM

Oct 2013
Best episode yet, holy fuck, I wonder how I will be able to go
to sleep with this adrenaline rush now haha, this was to intense.

Man I love this show.

Mar 25, 2015 2:04 PM

Feb 2015
This is how it is done. The annihilation of unit 03 is one of the most disturbing things i've watched. All the blood and ripped off organs were scattered around the city while Shinji was constant screaming. Commander Ikari isn't fucking around when push comes to shove.
Mar 29, 2015 7:42 AM

Dec 2014
Beforehand, I'd like to say I really enjoyed the animation in this episode. Evil Evangelion was amazing. Wished Toji would've died though, that would've given Shinji more justification and would've fit the tone way better.

But what I really wanted to rant about: This is actually the point in the series where Shinji lost my sympathies. I know there is a lot of hate for him out there - but I could accept him until now. Who knows what we would do in these circumstances. But now he just turns into more and mor of an idiot.

What I mean is this:

He is in the last Evangelion that is operational and the life of billions of people is on the line if he is defeated. However, he is unwilling to do anything to stop Unit 3. He even says he would rather die than kill someone else - ridiculous regarding the situation he is in, since he will doom Toji an all humanity all the same if he does nothing. Actually he is the only one who could actually SAVE Toji. But he doesn't.

However, I can still accept that. Alright, he is unable to kill someone or take any action. He is still a kid.

But then it just becomes more absurd. His father does the only thing that realistically gives humanity some kind of chance: Killing the Angel and endangering one life (not even sacrificing it as it turns out). This of course makes him oh-so-evil. And sure, Shinji has to fall into some kind of rage fit after that and has to leave Nerv - the SECOND time. Because of what again?

I can accept that he is unwilling to pilot because he is afraid or because he doesn't care. But because he doesn't want to hurt anyone like his "evil" father? I don't get it. In the end, of course everybody gets hurt because of this (talk about epiphany).

If there is some redeeming quality in this, I would like to hear it. For my enjoyment of Shinji as a character, the end of episode 18 (+ some from the beginning of ep 19) was the deathblow. That's really beyond "angsty teenager".
Mar 29, 2015 9:15 AM
Oct 2011
@TheGate Keep in mind that even after the angel was down Gendo still didn't stop the Eva. I mean was leting the eva crush Toji's Dummy Plug in its teeth really nessecary? That takes it beyond protecting humanity and into sadistic territory
Apr 4, 2015 4:17 PM

Jun 2012
Holy shit... Why did it have to go as far as crushing Toji?!? It was awful to watch. :(

I feel so bad for Shinji. I hope Toji is okay after this, but I have a feeling he isn't going to be like how he used to be now.
N☆ 

Apr 4, 2015 11:35 PM

Apr 2014
-Klad- said:
So, basically nerv, rather Katsuragi knew the test would be a failure, hence why she didn't tell Shinji the Fourth Child?
I was thinking about this as well. I honestly can't grasp why Misato had such a hard time telling Shinji that Toji was the Fourth Child. Shinji is around/acquainted with eva pilots in his school + home life all the time. But Misato's knowledge of the test becoming a failure doesn't make sense. Even Ritsuko (who knows more about evas) was surprised at Unit 03 becoming an angel. So there should be no logical way for Misato to have predicted this event.

Not sure if Misato's knows more than she lets on (I highly doubt it), or if the whole dramatic irony was too forced.
It was really well played, though. Aside from this detail.
Apr 30, 2015 2:29 AM
Nov 2014
Just like everyone here said, I thought Touji was already dead when Unit 1 destroyed his EVA. That scream at the end was creepy as hell, thanks Shinji.
May 22, 2015 5:17 PM

Aug 2014
Very intense ep. I honestly think Toji should have died, considering what happened it makes no sense he survived.
May 31, 2015 5:35 AM

Jan 2013
Horrific episode, even if you didnt see completely everything the dummy plug was doing.
Shinji is completely scarred by the fact he just saw what he (even if he was forced out of it) did to Toji, even if he still lives.

Just when Shinji was kind of doing well after the events with the 12th Angel (Leliel)
Jun 9, 2015 4:31 PM

Dec 2013
Damn, seems like this episode will be a big turnaround for Shinji's psyche.
Jun 26, 2015 12:20 PM

Sep 2014
The Beast Rises. Ep 18

Plot: The 3rd Eva becomes the next Angel and so Asuka, Rei, and Shinji have to kill it. ALl without Shinji knowing who the pilot is. The emergence of the Dummy Plug brings it to a head as Unit 1 destroys Unit 3 like the Beast the song is played after.

Character: This is the spiral downward for all characters. Asuka's reluctance of the new pilot. Misato's willingness to protect Shinji coming back to bite her in a way. Gendo's ruthlessness makes its point. ANd Shinji's gentle/meek nature takes a major hit when Touji, while surviving, is still majorly injured all the while Shinji could do nothing to stop it.

5/5. This was a hard hitter with consequences coming fast.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Jul 4, 2015 9:51 PM

Dec 2011
I expected Toji to die. And look at all that blood. Tsk, tsk, who's going to clean that all up?

Shinji pays the price for his failure to take appropriate action, and Gendo is a jerk-ass-douchebag.
LOAD said:
-Klad- said:
I was thinking about this as well. I honestly can't grasp why Misato had such a hard time telling Shinji that Toji was the Fourth Child. Shinji is around/acquainted with eva pilots in his school + home life all the time. But Misato's knowledge of the test becoming a failure doesn't make sense. Even Ritsuko (who knows more about evas) was surprised at Unit 03 becoming an angel. So there should be no logical way for Misato to have predicted this event.

Not sure if Misato's knows more than she lets on (I highly doubt it), or if the whole dramatic irony was too forced.
It was really well played, though. Aside from this detail.

Perhaps Misato just doesn't want to make Shinji worry.

It's clear as crystal that Shinji doesn't want to be an Eva pilot. He only does it for his father's recognition. How do you think he'd feel if his friend had to experience the same kind of pressure and suffering, risking his life as a pilot?

It's the same reason Asuka didn't tell Shinji about Toji being the new pilot. Hell, even the emotionally stunted Rei was concerned about how Shinji would take the news.
Jul 10, 2015 3:33 PM

Dec 2009
Think it's time for Shinji to grow up and follow his own path in life instead of doing what his father wants in these Evas.
Such junk...
Jul 12, 2015 7:27 AM

Jan 2014
This was emotionally devastating.
It will probably make Shinji stronger at least... :(
Jul 15, 2015 12:45 AM

May 2013
I get that Shinji is a kid, but still, it annoys me that he can't understand the situation they were in. If all three friendly EVAs were destroyed, who the heck would save the rest of the city (or world?) from the enemy EVA?
Jul 21, 2015 10:59 AM

Dec 2011
derelictparadise said:
DaBigD said:
First of all: I have to thank Gainax for using proper English.

Is it just me or does the teacher always say the same things?

You know, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who caught on to that. Do you remember when Kaji told Misato to investigate code 707, Shinji's school? Perhaps that school is more entwined with NERV and EVA than we thought. All of the pilots go there and the teacher seemingly never stops talking about the second impact.

Yes, there is something special about Shinji's school... but I don't think that includes the teacher. The teacher's lessons is a "background voice," and like all the BG voices/conversations in this anime, it provides the viewers with some interesting tid-bits...

I think most viewers by now have realized that something isn't quite right, and that NERV has enough secrets to fill a whole bleeding ocean. The teacher's lesson talks about second impact as it is known to the public and the media. It's there to highlight the fact that the public/media has been fed false information -- a cover-up story -- and are unaware of the real cause behind second impact... Since it seems that the teacher's lessons and what actually happens at NERV do not coincide.
The BG voices in other scenes also talk about the events of second impact, and its after-effects (rising sea levels, massive climate change, billions dead, warfare and 'strenuous' political relations).

Also interesting is that (still) other BG voices seem to highlight the dynamics between characters. Scenes between Asuka and Shinji, Asuka and Kaji, and Misato and Kaji are the ones that stand out for me, since the BG voices are always talking about failed relationships (like the romantic drama in this episode). It's a small detail, but one that I really liked in the anime, but few people seem to notice.
Sep 6, 2015 6:10 AM
Dec 2014
Would have been better if they didn't already reveal touji was the pilot and it was unexpected
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

186 by vinnywizanime »»
Apr 28, 4:39 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

811 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 27, 6:44 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

174 by Haz_Noz »»
Apr 26, 4:22 PM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
Apr 26, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Apr 25, 5:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.