Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 26, 2017 10:15 AM

Sep 2016
thats what i call a recycling episode
Objectivity doesn't exist. Subjectivity is an excuse. Beautiful world of online discourse.

Jan 28, 2017 3:44 PM
Mar 2016
Its nice to have a refresher, even though I didn't forget anything. However, the new material that was in this episode was nice. Things are getting more and more interesting
Apr 27, 2017 3:53 AM

Jun 2016
Oh it's one of those. I'm very glad that modern 12-24 episode animes don't have recap episodes anymore.

The second half was very cool though.
Jul 29, 2017 8:23 AM

Feb 2015
Rei's monologue was 2deep4me.

It's also getting pretty confusing, I have a hard time keeping up.
Sep 15, 2017 2:29 PM

Nov 2016
Recap with some extra infos was done pretty good and the second half had also a lot of content.

Reis monologue was puzzling, I have a rough idea, tho.

Best episode yet.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 12, 2017 12:28 PM

Jul 2013
Recaps are actually not that bad because it helps refresh some of my memories of the series. I can tell that the 2nd half will be important soon
Jan 4, 2018 9:16 PM
Jul 2017
It was nice to get a recap after the very hard to follow episode 13.

The 2nd part of the episode was rock solid... I love when rei gets screen time... seems like there's been a lot of Asuka lately.
Jan 23, 2018 12:41 PM

Apr 2015
The first half annoyed me. "Really? A recap episode?!"

Thankfully it wasn't full-length, and the second half was definitely interesting/gave us some of the most psychological stuff we've seen so far. I'm not sure having Shinji and Rei switch outside of their normal EVAs is such a good idea.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 18, 2018 11:29 AM

Mar 2016
First half is just a recap of the fights from previous episodes. The second half is pretty good. I especially want to know more about Rei. Such a mysterious character...
Mar 8, 2018 2:26 AM

Sep 2017
Man, this was a total mind-warp here. But we got a good 1st half recapping all the angels. I want to know who the 1st 2 angels were.

But Rei metasplaining stuff is another thing I didn't expect. Also surprised when Shinji lost control in Rei's unit.

But Rei and Shinji smelling each other was so kawaii. I am fully shipping them together.

I already knew that Commander Ikari was following a script way before, in the nuclear EVA episode. But we get more details and also some meaner plan going underway. The way they explain the timeline of next projected arrival of EVAs reminds me of the time I watched Pacific Rim,

We see Rei smiling. And it ain't good. I prefer the time she smiled when Shinji saved her or this.

It is settled. I am gonna watch this to the end, even if it sucks. And I ain't gonna watch anything else before I finish this series.

However, I don't agree that this sucks, till now. The series has comfortably brought on each plot point one after another and I find it easier to catch on to each detail that I did at the beginning. And I get why people believe that this was a game changer for the anime industry as a whole. I have yet to finish watching the other half of the series, but I can tell that this has already struck critic gold.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Mar 17, 2018 5:33 AM

Feb 2018
I think it was a well done episode, recap was well placed, and helped synthetise a whole mess of information and angels into one short cohesive story. The second part was great, unit 00 going berserk *again* probably has something to do with it being a prototype.

Seems like evas have a mind of their own and that the pilot's memories and feelings are somehow integrated into the evas.

Rei's pondering on her identity was great.

5/5
May 9, 2018 7:52 PM

Jul 2017
I was not expecting this

Here I come, rougher than the rest of them
The best of them, tougher than leather
You can call me knuckles, unlike sonic I don't chuckle
I'd rather flex my muscles
I'm hard as nails, it ain't hard to tell
I break'em down whether they're solid or frail
Unlike the rest I'm independent
It's my first breath, first test
Feel the right then the worst's left
Aug 26, 2018 1:24 PM

Feb 2017
Debut of best character, Math Puppy!
Oct 2, 2018 1:58 PM

Aug 2018
if eva is trying to kill rei,then rei is an angel?
Dec 14, 2018 1:28 PM

Mar 2017
As far as recaps go, this is one of the better ones. It doesn't hog the entire episode and at least focuses on the action sequences, plus it has some narration over it at parts.

The last few episodes had some quite intriguing angels! And this midpoint of the series pretty much marks the spot were it goes from lighthearted action to pure mindfuckery, if I am remembering correctly. Can't wait for that!
Dec 15, 2018 10:38 AM

Aug 2013
Not a bad episode with some recap. The second half was interesting.

Dec 24, 2018 5:37 PM

Dec 2018
Some like rei, some like asuka
Am I the only one that hates every single character in this show?
Jan 9, 2019 7:08 PM
Jan 2019
Recap episode, nothing to much to say.
But at least it's not 100% recaps, the last 10min is good. It cretes bigger connection between Shinji and Rei, also a good usage of a "deja-vu" when EVA-00 goes berserk
Apr 29, 2019 10:18 AM

May 2016
Pretty much half an episode was wasted on some old guys catching up on what happened. I liked how they gave the Angel names because I immediately recognized Sandalphon from the Persona games~

That monologue from Rei's insane and I wonder if she thinks that intensely every time she spaces out in the shower. Asuka has every right to wonder who Rei actually is since she can easily adapt to Unit 01's systems compared to Shinji making Unit 00 go all berserk despite having a near identical synchronization rate because of the bad memories it had with Rei as a pilot for some reason.

May 16, 2019 7:09 PM
Apr 2016
Well, the first half was a recap, that was boring... The second half was interesting, well, Rei's mentality is rather common, that's something majority of people go through. Good episode.
Jun 1, 2019 7:35 PM

Dec 2018
The recap was nice, but I skipped it lmao. Second half of the episode was pretty good!
Jul 12, 2019 12:47 AM

Jul 2009
First 12 mins is recap. I actually didn't realize there were already at 13th Angel. I keep forgetting that the "first" battle was actually the "third" Angel already.

This is probably where things get a bit crazy now. Guess we going the Lain route now or the other way around.

Next episode is Kaiji and Misato!

Jul 21, 2019 1:40 PM

Jul 2016
Actually enjoyed the recap. I've found it tougher than expected to meander my way through this show, for some reason getting the events recapped to me and the new material in the 2nd half, got me going again.

Ready to watch the next episode.

Aug 2, 2019 6:15 AM

Aug 2016
That was incredibly good place of plot recap episode, more like half of recap episode and half of interesting stuff, which is great for someone who watched first 13 episode and then stopped for while, like me. Now I want to know more.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 14, 2019 5:41 PM

Nov 2011
Interesting second part of the episode. It made me wonder who or what Rei is, she may not even be human and so far it hasn't been shown anything about her past either or her background so she might as well just be an angel or some AI.
Oct 6, 2019 2:30 AM

Oct 2012
That was some creepy Rei imagery

Huh so those EVAs have "soul" of their own
So, Rei's EVA is trying to kill the Ritsuko based on what she said
"Signature removed"
Oct 26, 2019 11:20 PM
Sep 2019
How much weed did Rei smoke
Oct 29, 2019 5:47 PM

Nov 2017
Oh a recap for the first half. The most interesting part iyam is the part when Rei is having her existential crisis questioning her existence. When an anime/fictional character has the superpower that is self-awareness and does more reflecting than real people... womp lol.

But it's cryptic, deep and introspective all rolled into one. I like to do personal reflection myself too
Nov 9, 2019 10:41 AM

Sep 2011
The second half was really interesting. I'm starting to think that the Evas are alive and have they own consciousness. But things like that only happen with Shinji, so it's a little strange.

I wonder why Asuka didnt need to test the others Evas, and why Shinji and Eva didn't need to test the Unity 2.
Nov 24, 2019 6:22 PM

Sep 2017
That was, quite literally, the most boring recap episode I have ever seen. Usually they will try to do SOMETHING to make the material someone new, but this was just a series of bullet points. Really disappointing after last episode.
Feb 15, 2020 9:11 AM
Feb 2018
Interesting 2nd half of the episode.
Apr 8, 2020 1:16 PM

Apr 2016
Like most I'm not a fan of re-cap episodes.

But the rest of the ep was really good.

Liked the focus on Rei. Very meta. We still don't know much about her and her ultimate roll in the Eva program.

There are definitely plans within plans going on.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 27, 2020 11:15 PM

Apr 2020
I guess I’m the only one who actually enjoyed the recap portion of the episode. I really liked the aesthetic of the recap: brief clips, quick splatters of text, and an uncanny lack of music. Almost unsettling. It sets the tone of unease that the second half of the episode envelops and I really like that. Rei’s dialogue has always stood out to me because the first time I was watching the show, I was not expecting something like that, especially after the 13 action packed episodes proceeding it. Although there had been short psychological exchanges within Shinji, I was not expecting it from Rei, who seemed to have no personal thoughts of her own. Unit 00’s breakdown is also very intriguing to me. I think that each Eva might have their own soul that’s tied to their respective pilot, and it cannot clash with another pilot or bad things will happen. Hence Shinji not being compatible with Rei’s Eva, although strangely Rei was able to synchronize with Unit 01, so I suppose my theory has some holes. Lol. Anyways solid episode, a great segue into the second half of this spectacular show
You know the kind of guy who does nothing but bad things and then wonders why his life sucks? Well, that was me. Every time something good happened to me, something bad was always waiting around the corner: karma. That's when I realized that I had to change, so I made a list of everything bad I've ever done and one by one I'm gonna make up for all my mistakes. I'm just trying to be a better person. My name is Earl.
May 30, 2020 3:05 AM

Dec 2015
@wardburke May I say that I found both halves of the episode interesting? (the thing is that the directing/mise-en-scène isn't really something most jap.animation consumers are "sensible" / receptive to, I think)

PS: maybe your theory is fine and the holes are simply here because of a lack of informations. ;)

July 14, 2020
@maiawatchesanime The Seele is the "shadowy" organization (sect?) behind the NERV.
Always nice to see some people go along with a series/story and try to build things as intended without being angry at the show for "not telling things" in a blatant way. Let's say you could get a nice reward at the lottery.
Rei_IIIJul 14, 2020 1:45 AM
Jun 21, 2020 10:45 PM
Discord Moderator
Divine Protector

Sep 2019
Hmm.. So something is up with Rei. Was kind of freaky when Shinji had that image of her in his mind. And she looked up with that scary expression.
Jul 13, 2020 2:59 PM

Feb 2020
nice lil recap at the start there

i noticed in the original episode too and again now when they did the flashback that when the shinji defeated his first angel, the explosion/light was in the shape of a cross. plus the three magi are named after the biblical magi, and the fact that the antagonists are called angels. lots of christian imagery and references. it's interesting!

god the animation of this show is brilliant i love it

i get the feeling that the committee (is it called seele?) created/sent the angels and is using them to cover up their human instrumentality project? i could be wildly off the mark here (i'm sure i am because there is far too much going on that has only been hinted at so far) but i am so sure nerv has something to do with the angels. it's fun to guess, keeps me on my toes

i like rei's character and i liked the little existential moment she had there, it is to be expected that she would feel totally lost in the world and of her place because she has no memories beyond nerv and being an eva pilot. it's pretty dark when you think about it, how almost nihilistic she is
Sep 6, 2020 12:11 AM

Mar 2016
I hate recap episodes lol
Oct 11, 2020 1:38 AM

Aug 2018
I was pretty worried that they decided to dedicate whole episode to recap what happened in the story so far, but thank god the 2nd part of episode was actually something good and not things we already seen so far. That deep scene with Rei was probably the most interesting thing I've seen in this show so far.
Nov 4, 2020 12:48 AM

Dec 2012
2015 AD.
Recap.
Seele's script.
Rei.
Asuka.
Shinji.
Those eyes. Whose are they?
Unit 00 out of control.
Rei not flinching.
Unit 00 tried to kill Rei?
Unit 00 wanted to hit Ritsuko?
Gendo.
Lance of Longinus?
Rei.
Dat ending.

Dem Rei crazy eyes.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Dec 19, 2020 12:06 PM

May 2015
Rei's monologue of her impressions was so poetic, her cadence so hypnotic that I have rewatched that part like five or six times. Surprisingly memorable moments from an episode that I at first put down as a simple recap, I should say these were the best minutes this series has given me so far.
IshitatesoDec 19, 2020 12:10 PM
Jan 2, 2021 8:28 PM

Aug 2019
pretty interesting episode, the beginning was really nice, nice mini recap of all the Angels we have seen, cus ngl i kinda lost track after outer space bomb one. Also its cool they gave them names instead of just numbering them.
The next scene was well um... especially interesting. I want to say it was some sort of past flashback or monologue from Rei, but imma be honest here chief, i barely fucking digested what in the spicy hot chicken fuck i was witnessing. Some Zen, outer body, philosophical, drug trip if anything.

Aw, unit 00 didn't like Shinji and wanted Rei back D: Nah but fr, interesting stuff about how the children can be compatible with some units, and not with others. Also it almost kinda shows the units having a sentience or consciousness of sorts? Like when Unit 00 lost it, it tried to attack Dr. Ritsuko.
Mar 9, 2021 5:28 AM

Feb 2020
Recap was fine. Second half was interesting
Mar 9, 2021 4:17 PM

Jul 2020
Didn’t mind the recap even though the whole premise of this show seems simple enough. Second half kept me interested at least
Mar 9, 2021 10:09 PM

Mar 2010
After the point to point recap, it was annoying to hear Rei list things afterwards lmao
Mar 10, 2021 5:53 AM
May 2020
Put the recap aside,

WHAT THE FUCK.
I was watching in my room alone with a bit darker lightening, and this shit suddenly becoming creepy shit and that freaking Rei is scary as fuck.

Now I see this got some potentials to be in my favorite list.
Mar 27, 2021 2:25 PM

Jun 2020
Well the first half of this was nothing important

And goddamn this show cuts so many corners in its animation
Apr 10, 2021 1:35 AM

Jun 2016
Gytanzo said:
That was, quite literally, the most boring recap episode I have ever seen. Usually they will try to do SOMETHING to make the material someone new, but this was just a series of bullet points. Really disappointing after last episode.

They did do something, they found a way to make 90% of the episode reuse old animation. I would've preferred a barely-animated meeting centered around the "scripts" as a recap device over this, at least it would be relevant then. Hopefully the "scripts" come up again and aren't just some plot device to explain why Gendo has put consistent faith in the wild schemes of his NERV employees. Same with Rei's existential moment, I would've hoped she'd stop being so robotic many episodes ago and this feels like stalling the answers.
May 8, 2021 9:32 AM

Apr 2021
Nothing is happening.

2/5
Jul 25, 2021 6:12 AM
Jul 2021
Eh

Recap Episodes are always a bother for me, but I did enjoy the second half of this one. Existential stuff plus some new plot points regarding Nerv and Commander Ikari is great.

The "scripts" everyone keeps talking about are intriguing. Is there a larger plan at play here?
Aug 9, 2021 9:46 AM

Dec 2015
I think from here this is where NGE went downhill for me. It's undeniable they have a lot of subplots presented as mysteries thrown at the viewer. But from what I can remember, they've chosen to keep adding more elements without a concrete explanation and inserted a pretentious montage (like the one Rei had in this episode) and finished the series. I'm still open minded and if I find the series does provide answers on the anime itself, I'll change my opinion. But honestly, I still think the anime and final movie are devoid of logic if judging them only by themselves, which would make them objectively bad, since they're clearly building a mystery.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

813 by BitBitt »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

343 by sailorneptunelvr »»
May 15, 1:59 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 13, 2007

195 by sailorneptunelvr »»
May 15, 12:04 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

188 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
May 8, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

152 by sailorneptunelvr »»
May 8, 12:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.